Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The corruption of the Church.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Comet View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Comet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The corruption of the Church.
    Posted: 29-Sep-2007 at 06:31
Originally posted by Raider

Originally posted by Comet

I don't think this is an exaggeration at all. Think about why people are calling it the "Dark Ages" in hindsight. One of the major reasons why they call it dark is because of the Church's dominance over the minds of men. Let's go back to Ancient Greece and Rome. You would see academies flourish with the goal of education in mind. There was no reason why one couldn't think and understand the world around them. Now think about the nature of education during the so called "Dark Ages". Academies are few in number (if they even existed at all)...the only education worth achieving was an education taught by the Church.
1. Dark ages are dark because of the lack of historical sources.
2. The classical world was overrun by barbarians, their civilisation was shattered. In the west it was the Church who saved pieces of their culture. Monks copied works of ancient philosophers etc. The barbarians had no high education, only the Church guarded the flame of the past culture. Blaming them for this? Cry

There's no question that there were other factors that led to this "Dark" period. In fact, the result of this collapse of ancient society was the Church emerging from the ruins of the early medieval period. It truly was the only solid organization left to turn to. Which is why a lot of people turned to the Church as means for "salvation"...that is to say, spiritual and temporal salvation.  It is this turn of events that enabled the Church to gain a tremendous amount of power.  Nevertheless, religion is a way in which one can "control the masses" (stealing Karl Marx's phrase) The works of ancient philosophy were very much accessible to people by those monks you mention. However, the Church also knew that much of the learning that took place in ancient times, clashed with the new developments of Church dogma and doctrine. This is just my opinion, but I would be willing to say that many of our translators may have "slipped" from time to time in their translation. Not to mention that if they didn't quite agree with the text, which is what most likely occurred in translating the bible, they would change the text to their liking. Another major factor is the monks ability to know Latin fluently. Many of them were flat awful at Latin. It is said by many of my medieval colleagues that the Latin language was virtually lost between Boethius and Aquinas. No one could make the Latin Language flow like those intellects of ancient times. The beauty of the language became one of the central focal points of the Renaissance.

While I agree with you that the early Church "guarded the flame", it is what they did with that flame that hurt early medieval society.
History is never clear cut...there are hardly any absolutes
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2007 at 20:02
Originally posted by Comet

I don't think this is an exaggeration at all. Think about why people are calling it the "Dark Ages" in hindsight. One of the major reasons why they call it dark is because of the Church's dominance over the minds of men. Let's go back to Ancient Greece and Rome. You would see academies flourish with the goal of education in mind. There was no reason why one couldn't think and understand the world around them. Now think about the nature of education during the so called "Dark Ages". Academies are few in number (if they even existed at all)...the only education worth achieving was an education taught by the Church.
1. Dark ages are dark because of the lack of historical sources.
2. The classical world was overrun by barbarians, their civilisation was shattered. In the west it was the Church who saved pieces of their culture. Monks copied works of ancient philosophers etc. The barbarians had no high education, only the Church guarded the flame of the past culture. Blaming them for this? Cry
Comet View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Comet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2007 at 22:57
Originally posted by MengTzu

Originally posted by Illuminati

It is well known that the Catholic Church uin Medieval Europe was one of the most corrup organizations in history. their power rivaled that of many of the kings. They would demand payments to ensure that people would have passage to heaven....

The controlled the masses.

Marx once said..."Religion is the opiate of the masses."

This was definitely true in medieval Europe in my opinion.

what do you think?

That is exaggerated, and I don't see why the Catholic Church should be singled out here.  I'd go ahead and make this statement: the Catholic Church did have elements of corruption, but wasn't particularly so.

One thing we need to keep in mind is that history is always studied from hindsight.  In the Renaissance, Europeans went through classical revivals.  The idea that the Middle Ages were the "Dark Ages" was an idea of this time -- it was an effort to galvanize classical revivalist movements and to posit an opposite ideal against which the classicists strived.  Subsequent centuries of European histories saw similar trends of characterizing the past to justify the present.  Protestantism, nationalism, and capitalism led to a rethinking of the Medieval past, which was then interpreted as backward and corrupt in order to highlight the successes of modernity.

The thing regarding indulgences: the Catholic Church never issued the sales of indulgences.  It was the incorrect practices of some clergies (many of them probably weren't trying to overtly get money.  they were probably giving penances in forms of donations to the Church.)  When the issue of the sale of indulgences came up, the Church banned their sales.  (Penances in forms of donations were also banned I think.)  In keeping with an incident recorded in the Bible, where St. Peter condemned Simon the Magician for offering the Apostles money in exchange for having the powers of the Holy Spirit conferred upon him, the Catholic Church has never allowed sales of anything sacred -- everything from a blessed holy image to indulgences.  The idea of indulgence isn't "tickets to Heaven;" the idea was that every sin entails some temporary consequences that must be expiated, and those who died without expiation of venial sins and temporary consequences of sins, but nonetheless died in the state of grace and without mortal sin, would stay in purgatory temporary for expiation, upon the completion of which one would be released from Purgatory and goes to Heaven (contrary to some misunderstanding, Purgatory isn't a middle ground for the "not so good, not so bad" people.  It's a temporary station prior to Heaven for those who are saved.)  Hence indulgences (usually in forms of prayers) were granted to the faithful for expiation in order to lesson time spent in Purgatory.  (In other words, an indulgence might be granted by the pope that one prays a number of prayers, and by doing so one gains full or some expiation, depending on whether the person meets several requirements.)  Whether or not we agree with Catholic Theology is one thing -- we need to be clear that indulgences are not what many people mistaken them to be.

Peace,

Michael

12-8-2004

I think this is what makes the Renaissance even more important to Western Civilization than people give credit to. Sure, the Renaissance brought back Greek and Roman ideals, but it also brought back the thought that people could think for themselves once again. In other words, self education became a focal point and was a central issue during the Protestant Reformation. In fact, many of the Protestant reformers set up different curriculum's that opposed Church education. Philip Melanchthon, Luther's right hand man, is known as the Precept of Germany for his ability to reorganize the German education system.

There is no question education suffered during the "Age of Faith" as it is also called. To me, the Church deprived people of the medieval period a chance to excel their lives beyond the meager lives they were doomed to. I think this is why we see the rise of popular heresy after the year 1000 and the reason why the Protestant Reformation became so radical. People realized they were being denied the opportunity for an education and they were simply tired of being exploited by a money hungry organization.

One last bit of information...I believe St. Peter's Basilica is partly the creation of all those indulgences the Church received throughout the 16th century.

Edited by Comet - 24-Sep-2007 at 22:58
History is never clear cut...there are hardly any absolutes
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2007 at 23:04
the "church" is man made, and man is inherently corrupt...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2007 at 21:03

The simple fact is: no church is free of corruption... The church is simply a human institution more. It doesn't matter the religion, it is the "business" of religion what sometimes go wrong.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2007 at 20:36
Originally posted by YAFES

Originally posted by Komnenos

May I just intervene in your fascinating bi-lateral discussion.
The main reason for the mass conversion to Islam in Bosnia only was, that the country was the stronghold of Bogomilism.
Large parts of the population belonged to this sect, that was a heresy both in the eyes of the Roman-Catholics and the Orthodox.The rest of Bosnians belonged to the Bosnian Church, an independent Christian national church, also regarded as heresy. Both sects were severly persecuted by Rome and The Orthodox.
I guess the experiences the Bosnians made with the official Christendom made them far more susceptible for Islam, or they were generally tired of religious persecution.
It's also been allegded that the conversion was only a cover and the Bogomils carried on for another few centuries in secret.

aha yeah yeah just remembered

Well Bogomilism was never very widespread, as noted in Malcolms book as well that was an old and discredited theory. Catholic, and Bosnian Church affiliated Bosniaks were in the majority followed by a few Orthodox, and Muslim Families before the Ottoman conquest. After the conquest many actually did not convert, it took six generations for the majority to convert to Islam. For nearly a century Christianity was in the absolute majority.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2007 at 20:32
Originally posted by Ptolemy

YOU SHOULD KNOW HOW AND WHY BOSNIANS CHOSE ISLAM UNDER THE OTTOMAN RULE, WANT TO TELL THIS, TOO???

Are you sure that muslims do not make up 40% of of the population?

Edit: Cywr, we joined on the same day, yet you have 1600+ more posts than me. Explain.

Actually the forty per cent is a new number, in the first five or six generations the number of converts was lover, the Catholics, and remants of the Bosnian Church, and a majority Orthodox community in Herzegovina. By the mid sixteenth century you could say that up to seventy or eighty per cent of the population was Muslim, the absolute majority that is became muslim. Population shifts, and numerous wars in which the Muslim Bosnian population participated in decimated much of the population, then it slowly rose again, and due to the entrace of Austria, and rebellions many Bosnians of Islamic faith chose to move to Turkey, hence why the forty percent came up, and also why a high number of Turkey's population has some form of Bosniak descent.

According to new estimates the number of Bosniaks rose again post-war up to fifty, or maybe fifty plus percent.

Sources

Noel Malcolm A Short History of Bosnia

Wiki

Britannica

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 21:09

It is well known that the Catholic Church uin Medieval Europe
was one of the most corrup organizations in history. their power
rivaled that of many of the kings. They would demand
payments to ensure that people would have passage to
heaven....

RESPONSE
1. The Roman Church (Latin Church) as distinct from the
Orthodox Church. There were many other jurisdictions, Antioch,
Constantinople, Alexandria, Tblisi, Moscow & Kiev, Jerusalem,
etc. These are also Catholic churches dating back to and
before the 1st Ecumenical Council.

2. Beginning with the Carolingians, the Latin Church was
overtaken and controlled at the administrative level by the
State. Clergy were appointed in contradiction to Canonical
Laws by the feudal lordsso the state bears the burden of
corruption more so than any legitimate clerical administration.

QUOTE:
well all the recovering catholics I know still have that
indoctrinated opinion that the church saw Europe through the
dark ages, even though you could make just as effective of an
argument that the church was the biggest problem of the dark
ages...

RESPONSE:
The argument can certainly be made for this. The Native Irish
Church did collect and maintain a great deal of literature. The
monastic movement did clear and develop a great deal of land
for agriculture and people collected nearby for safety

QUOTE:
That is exaggerated, and I don't see why the Catholic Church
should be singled out here. I'd go ahead and make this
statement: the Catholic Church did have elements of
corruption, but wasn't particularly so.

REPONSE:
I would go further and say that just because someone identifies
themselves with an institution or belief does not mean that is
who they are. It is the old church and garage analogy. Being in
a church does not make one a Christian anymore than being in
a garage makes one a car. Lots of folks, then as now, latched
on and controlled what they could of the Church for personal
gain. That did not mean they were legitimately the Church.
MengTzu gives the example of indulgences, which makes this
point rather well. Just because someone claimed it was of the
Church does not mean it was. No one here would have any
problem understanding this if I was to claim to be the President
of the United States and then start making outrageous claims.
The same is true of the Church.

QUOTE:
If your Orthodox, you never branched away, because you were
there since the beginning.

REPONSE:
Too true. The Roman Church broke away. The Latins claims
not withstanding, when one of the five patriarchs refuses to
have communion with the other four, they do not break away
from the one. It is also a fact that the Jurisdictional dispute
involves the Papacys refusal to abide by canonical laws, not
the other way around.

QUOTE:
beauracracy alone euqals corruption, this is why if you want a
sucessful faith remove large established power structures from
it.

RESPONSE
Uh?! Alone? Always? And what is successful?

QUOTE:
Although as MengTzu said the church never sactuioned the
sale of indulgences that didn't mean that in practice it wasn't
done. The church today doesn't saction many things that goes
on either. And how is the sale of   indulgences all that differant
than the common practices in roman era of selling preisthoods
and offerings to the gods?

RESPONSE:
Misses the point entirely. No one says it did not take place.
What is being argued is that you can not lay it at the feet of the
Church. It was, by the act alone, in contradiction to the laws and
traditions of the Church. When someone by force or subterfuge
takes control of an institution and then claims that authority, that
hardly means the institution is to blamethe actors are to
blame. What is there that can not be subverted?

QUOTE:
Perhaps it is better to stop judging the situation and try and
figure out why it was happening.

RESPONSE:
Fair point but trivial given that it has been elucidated and the
causes of these sort of things are so common. They subverted
the Church because they could, because they wanted what it
had. Old story. Whether it is the Saracens or the Vandals or
Napoleons troops sacking and plundering or some Emperor or
King taking it over, the result is the same. The Church was
being violated and abused and can hardly be accused of the
crimes.

QUOTE:
Careful there. This could be taken as bashing nonprotestants.

REPONSE:
I am perfectly willing to bash protestants. Can we get a new
topic going? Oh, and the bastards parading around as Roman
Catholic clergy. The Assyrians know what I am talking about.

and the pseudo-Orthodox clergy. Them too.

QUOTE:
Lets bring this back into a medieval perspective.

The following linkcontains an article that talks about the
protasant reform movement http://www.the-orb.net/non_spec/
missteps/ch11.html

REPONSE:
Yes. The topic is pretty much dealing with the Medieval
perspective in my opinionthough many of the comments are
leaking over into the modern era. And that articleYes--makes
a lot of good points but one I did not see (Ill reread just in case)
was the fact that Luther preached in the German vulgate rather
than in Latin. No one outside of a very small group understood
Latin by that time so the scriptures were a mystery to the
common people. The Orthodox Churches have a well
established tradition of communicating in the language of the
people.

QUOTE:
Calvinist rule in Geneva was so harsh, that on a certain
moment women were tried as well if they were raped, because
for some reason the calvinists thought they'd enjoyed it
somehow.

REPONSE:
Illustrates the extent to which crimes have been committed by
bogus Christians in the name of God. The inquisition is another
prime example as are the atrocities committed by the Spanish
and the Portuguese in the Americas with the blessings of the
ya-bos parading as Popes.

QUOTE:
I guess the emergence of christianity and islam was the origin
of dark ages.
So then religion was used as nationalism later. If we compare
the church in the Middle ages with today's government, we can
see why they were corrupted.

RESPONSE:
I think the subjugation of religionexcluding those that were
specifically invented for the purposes of the secular
governmentto the whims of those in power over the state are
as old as religion and states. Religion is a great unifier and this
was not lost on even the most ancient of states.

QUOTE:
That's the point - we can demonize the Catholic Church today
because its politically correct or expedient to do so - but the fact
remains that if you look into any organization created by
mankind with this kind of power, you will find the same level of
corruption.

REPONSE:
Yea, good point. Being singled out when there are so many
qualified examples does smack of blind prejudice.

Although the Tammy Faye Mascara Fund sub-thread here is
certainly a creative approach to the nonsense that takes place.
The examples of stupidity and outright abuse on the part of
those parading as the voice of God are legion throughout time.
Here is one, not really a bigee but, at the First Ecumenical
Council to dispose of Arianism, our Blessed St. Nicholas of
Myra (as in St. Nickwho we now know as the jolly little fat guy
in red) got steamed up, decked the heretic and was thrown out
of the Council. Someone had a vision in the night and he was
brought back but . . . even the best of us do step way over the
line.

QUOTE:
BUT IT DOES NOT CHANGE THE FACT WE ALWAYS
OPENED OUR LANDS FOR THE HELPLESS. YOU SHOULD
KNOW HOW AND WHY BOSNIANS CHOSE ISLAM UNDER
THE OTTOMAN RULE, WANT TO TELL THIS, TOO???

AND SURE WE WOULD HAVE PLACE FOR 40.000 MORE
AND MORE.
-----------------------

REPONSE:
Boy does this distort historical fact.
There is no doubt that the scum who were operating within the
Church and co-opting it from outside were hardly acting in a
Christian way. This hardly means the Ottoman Empire were the
good guys. Show me an Aremenian, a Serb, a Croat, a
Georgian, a Bulgar, or a Greek that thinks the Ottomans were
their salvation from the excesses of the Roman Catholic
executive and I will show you a figment of your imagination.
The sheer numbers of slaves taken by the Ottoman Empire out
of the Balkans enabled them to build their army and was the
primary reason for their power and longevity. And since they
were taken as Christian slaves, they could then be turned on
other Moslems. (The weird point that has never been explained
is, how, after forcing them to convert to Islam, they could then
be turned on the other Moslems.)

So, no, you cant use the abuses of the Latin Church to paint
the Ottomans as the good guys. Lesser of two evils for a very
brief period of time, maybe. But it was very brief.

QUOTE:
Besides, majority of Bosnians are muslim now, this is why
serbians murdered them. Europe watched the gratest
massacre of the world since WWII, between 1992-1995.

Bosnians chose the religion we brought, because they were
(almost) used to be treated like slaves by Vatican.

When Turks came and noticed that everyone was free what to
believe, Bosnians began to slide to Islam

RESPONSE:
I take it you meant that the subjugated saw that they were free
to believe what they would.

What utter distortion. This is as bad as the Ultra-right in Japan
claiming they were the victims in WWII. The Moslems have
always converted by the sword. When they werent forcing the
issue with steel they simply taxed the hell out of them, restricted
their freedoms, abused them by taking slaves, and thereby
forced their conversions.

QUOTE:
They were Orthodox factions which Ottomans didn't see as
harmful as the Catolic factions. Also " the othodox cult" was
another enemy of the crusader mentality. And wasn't cruel as
much as the catholic cult

OK?

REPONSE:
Cults? Looks like someone went over the edge a long time
ago.

Komnenos (Liechtenstein? No kidding?) adds a constructive
dimension here. Not sure I think it was that clear cut but, yes, a
complicated situation with real events and real actors. The
entire Balkan Peninsula was fought over because it had a lot to
offer strategically and economically. No one has even
mentioned the Hapsburgs, their wars with the Ottomans (who
were continually attacking Europe) and their occupation of the
Balkans and treaties with the Ottomans who eventually ran out
of steam.

Mosquito also offers a better rounded contribution. Real actors,
real events, real reasons. Broad brush strokes do not really
advance the debate.

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2005 at 20:20

Originally posted by Infidel

And one should not forget the bloodshed of such "remarkable" institutions like the Holy Inquisition! Fabulous!

Holy Inquisition is also demonised. Most of Europe was catholic but not everywhere inquisition had such power like in Spain. Also influence of church on political matters was different in different countries.

Take for example Commonwealth of Poland and Lithuania. Inquisition could sentence to death whoever they wanted but there was noone to execute such death sentence or any other punishemnt. This text comes from "History of Protestantism" written by James A. Wylie. The author was a 19th century Brit so very biased toward protestants and as they were calling it in Birtain "antipapist" but well described situation in Poland: 

"Stanislav Stadnicki, a nobleman of large estates and great influence, having embraced the Reformed opinions, established the Protestant worship according to the forms of Geneva on his domains. He was summoned to answer for his conduct before the tribunal of the bishop. Stadnicki replied that he was quite ready to justify both his opinions and his acts. The court, however, had no wish to hear what he had to say in behalf of his faith, and condemned him, by default, to civil death and loss of property. Had the clergy wished to raise a flame all over the kingdom, they could have done nothing more fitted to gain their end.

Stadnicki assembled his fellow-nobles and told them what the priests had done. The Polish grandees had ever been jealous of the throne, but here was an ecclesiastical body, acting under an irresponsible foreign chief, assuming a power which the king had never ventured to exercise, disposing of the lives and properties of the nobles without reference to any will or ally tribunal save their own. The idea was not to be endured. There rung a loud outcry against ecclesiastical tyranny all throughout Poland; and the indignation was brought to a height by numerous apprehensions, at that same time, at the instance of the bishops, of influential persons among others, priests of blameless life, who had offended against the law of clerical celibacy, and whom the Roman clergy sought to put to death, but could not, simply from the circumstance that they could find no magistrate willing to execute their sentences.

At this juncture it happened that the National Diet (1552) assembled.  As usual, its sessions were inaugurated by the solemn performance of high mass. The king in his robes was present, and with him were the ministers of his council, the officers of his household, and the generals of his army, bearing the symbols of their office, and wearing the stars and insignia of their rank; and there, too, were the senators of the Upper Chamber, and the members of the Lower House. All that could be done by chants and incense, by splendid vestments and priestly Fires, to make the service impressive, and revive the decaying veneration of the worshippers for the Roman Church, was done. The great words which effect the prodigy of transubstantiation had been spoken; the trumpet blared, and the clang of grounded arms rung through the building. The Host was being elevated, and the king and his court fell on their knees; but many of the deputies, instead of prostrating themselves, stood erect and turned away their faces. Raphael Leszczynski, a nobleman of high character and great possessions, expressed his dissent from Rome's great mystery in manner even more marked: he wore his hat all through the performance. The priests saw, but dared not reprove, this contempt of their rites.

The auguries with which the Diet had opened did not fail of finding ample fulfilment in its subsequent proceedings. The assembly chose as its president Leszczynski the nobleman who had remained uncovered during mass, and who had previously resigned his senatorial dignity in order to become a member of the Lower House.The Diet immediately took into consideration the jurisdiction wielded by the bishops. The question put in debate was this Is such jurisdiction, carrying civil effects, compatible with the rights of the crown and the freedom of the nation? The Diet decided that it was consistent with neither the prerogatives of the sovereign nor the liberties of the people, and resolved to abolish it, so far as it had force in law. King Sigismund Augustus thought it very possible that if he were himself to mediate in the matter he would, at least, succeed in softening the fall of the bishops, if only he could persuade them to make certain concessions. But he was mistaken: the ecclesiastical dignitaries were perverse, and resolutely refused to yield one iota of their powers. Thereupon the Diet issued its decree, which the king ratified, that the clergy should retain the power of judging of heresy, but have no power of inflicting civil or criminal punishment on the condemned. Their spiritual sentences were henceforward to carry no temporal effects whatever. The Diet of 1552 may be regarded as the epoch of the downfall of Roman Catholic predominancy in Poland, and of the establishment in that country of the liberty of all religious confessions.

The anger of the bishops was inflamed to the utmost. They entered their solemn protest against the enactment of the Diet. The mitre was shorn of half its splendor, and the crozier of more than half its power, by being disjoined from the sword. They left the Senate-hall in a body, and threatened to resign their senatorial dignities. The Diet heard their threats unmoved, and as it made not the slightest effort either to prevent their departure or to recall them after they were gone, but, on the contrary, went on with its business as if nothing unusual had occurred, the bishops returned and took their seats of their own accord."

Edited by Mosquito
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2005 at 15:19

Originally posted by Komnenos

The main reason for the mass conversion to Islam in Bosnia only was, that the country was the stronghold of Bogomilism.
Large parts of the population belonged to this sect, that was a heresy both in the eyes of the Roman-Catholics and the Orthodox.The rest of Bosnians belonged to the Bosnian Church, an independent Christian national church, also regarded as heresy. Both sects were severly persecuted by Rome and The Orthodox.
I guess the experiences the Bosnians made with the official Christendom made them far more susceptible for Islam, or they were generally tired of religious persecution.
It's also been allegded that the conversion was only a cover and the Bogomils carried on for another few centuries in secret.

aha yeah yeah just remembered

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2005 at 15:12

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2005 at 14:53
Originally posted by Cywr

You know, the people who lived there for centuries?
All those orthradox and catolics and jews and gypsies who had lived in Bosnia since before the Ottomans came along?

haha

then i should call JUPITER to fire you away from the lands of Vatican

you know, it's just hired by remus and romulus

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2005 at 14:53
Originally posted by YAFES

in addition

slavicness of bosnians and albanians is the least of all the BALKAN

even they were no valuable as a political material for russian tzars

Slavic is a linguistic classifacation. Bonsians are Slavic. Albanians aren't. This has bugger allto do with Russian Tsars.
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2005 at 14:50

in addition

slavicness of bosnians and albanians is the least of all the BALKAN

even they were no valuable as a political material for russian tzars

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2005 at 14:50

mixture???

come on what mixture?

did they leave any mixture after 500.000 muslim bosnians were murdered by serbians in 1992-1995??

Yeah after all you can call Bosnia a mixture of orth. and cath.

You know, the people who lived there for centuries?
All those orthradox and catolics and jews and gypsies who had lived in Bosnia since before the Ottomans came along?
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2005 at 14:48

1) Vatican never needed to rule Vatican. Tyrants who Bosnians were suffered were ruled by the Vatican. Bosnians suffered for "the holiness of the holy see".

Come again in English?

2) The rest of the BALKANS were SLAVIC;

They were under the Orthodox factions which Ottomans didn't see as harmful as the Catolic factions.

OK?

Bosnians were and still are Slavic. Bosnia was traditionaly a mix of catholic and Orthradox. Of they were so oppresed, then why are there still catholics in Bosnia?

mixture???

come on what mixture?

did they leave any mixture after 500.000 muslim bosnians were murdered by serbians in 1992-1995??

Yeah after all you can call Bosnia a mixture of orth. and cath.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2005 at 14:43

1) Vatican never needed to rule Bosnia. Tyrants from whom Bosnians suffered were ruled by the Vatican. Bosnians suffered for "the holiness of the holy see".

Come again in English? OK you fixed it.
Vatican never really ruled anyone outside of the papal states. If you are refering to that sect accused of herisy, they you are talking of a very small number of bosnians, and not catholics in general.

They were under the Orthodox factions which Ottomans didn't see as harmful as the Catolic factions.

OK?

Bosnians were and still are Slavic. Bosnia was traditionaly a mix of catholic and Orthradox. Of they were so oppresed, then why are there still catholics in Bosnia?

Edited by Cywr
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2005 at 14:40

Edit: Cywr, we joined on the same day, yet you have 1600+ more posts than me. Explain.

More active would seem the obvious guess.

Besides, majority of Bosnians are muslim now, this is why serbians murdered them. Europe watched the gratest massacre of the world since WWII, between 1992-1995.

Most Bosnians are still croatioan/Serbian, Muslims just make the single biggest group, but this is a recent development, and has bugger all to do with your initial claims.
Biggest massacre since WWII? Rwanda?

Bosnians chose the religion we brought, because they were (almost) used to be treated like slaves by Vatican.

When was Bosnia ruled by the Vatican?

When Turks came and noticed that everyone was free what to believe, Bosnians began to slide to Islam.

So why not the rest of the Balkans then?

1) Vatican never needed to rule Bosnia. Tyrants from whom Bosnians suffered were ruled by the Vatican. Bosnians suffered for "the holiness of the holy see".

They were Orthodox factions which Ottomans didn't see as harmful as the Catolic factions. Also " the othodox cult" was another enemy of the crusader mentality. And wasn't cruel as much as the catholic cult

OK?

Edited by YAFES
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2005 at 13:11

More active would seem the obvious guess.

Besides, majority of Bosnians are muslim now, this is why serbians murdered them. Europe watched the gratest massacre of the world since WWII, between 1992-1995.

Most Bosnians are still croatioan/Serbian, Muslims just make the single biggest group, but this is a recent development, and has bugger all to do with your initial claims.
Biggest massacre since WWII? Rwanda?

Bosnians chose the religion we brought, because they were (almost) used to be treated like slaves by Vatican.

When was Bosnia ruled by the Vatican?

When Turks came and noticed that everyone was free what to believe, Bosnians began to slide to Islam.

So why not the rest of the Balkans then?
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2005 at 04:14
Originally posted by Ptolemy

YOU SHOULD KNOW HOW AND WHY BOSNIANS CHOSE ISLAM UNDER THE OTTOMAN RULE, WANT TO TELL THIS, TOO???

Are you sure that muslims do not make up 40% of of the population?

NOT EVERY MUSLIM; ITS AN ARABIC HABIT TO ERODE INFORMATION

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>