Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why was Europe First?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
throughthepastdarkly View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote throughthepastdarkly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why was Europe First?
    Posted: 23-Mar-2011 at 02:02
Originally posted by bagelofdoom

I would recomend reading Guns Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond.  Its an analysis of how certain societies became dominant.  He credits the fact that the Chinese were much more politically consolidated for their relative lack of power.  The consolidation he says, was both a blessing and a curse.  For example: when the central leader felt like expanding, massive trade fleets were built.  On the other hand, as soon as a new leader came to the forefront, a leader who disliked the trade fleets, expansion stopped.  In Europe, if a nation decided that progress was not in their best interests, a rival nation state soon progressed to the point where it was necessary for the first state to progress or die.  In China, the political consolidation didn't allow for that.  Essentially, they had no incentive to move forward, Europe's structure ensured that there was plenty of incentive to progress and expand. 

I may have misrepresented Diamond's arguments, it has been a long time since I read the book.  For any errors, I appologize.  However, I still recomend that you read the book. 

I'd second the recommendation. I'd summarize Diamond's arguments as an apologetic and overly-politically-correct nod to 'geographic determinism', a term Diamond himself vehemently resisted, even though it was appropriate. It is an excellent book. He says that it was LUCK that contributed to Europeans' domination of the world. Luck attributable to many factors (it's a thick book). 

However, I'd also recommend you read Carnage and Culture by Victor Davis Hanson as a balance to Diamond's PC-leanings. Hanson argues that there is an arc of consistent values held by Western civilizations from the ancient Greeks to the USA that sustained a relative superiority to non-western cultures. 

I had this same question "Why was Europe first?" years ago. These are not the only 2 books, but I guarantee you'll have a much more satisfactory understanding after reading Guns, Germs & Steel and Carnage and Culture.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2011 at 19:34
Originally posted by dud

I think that Europe had a lucky combo of events. One was a population boom around 1500 CE. Also during the time of the Black Death, the public support of the Church faltered and there was much oppression from both Church and state. I think that European superiority was precipitated from the Enlightenment which promoted science when before it had been associated with evil forces. China just didn't have the incentives.  

That's a rather narrow view on the historical development and emergence of modern civilization. Population numbers rose and fell all the time, in Europe, in China and else. To explain the rise of the modern world with plain demographics is almost the same as to avoid answering the queston, because demographics doesn't answer much at all.

Also, your view on pre-Enlightenment science in Europe is highly flawed, science as a method (eg. the scientific method) and as an endeavour came into existence in medieval Europe, though of course it had a long way to go before it was perfected. Apart from the early contributions of a few Islamic scholars, the development of science (as opposed to engineering/technology) was an entirely European endeavour which lasted for several centuries prior and up to the Enlightenment.

You OTOH mention science as if it was a readily available concept that appeared out of nowhere and was first rejected due to religious fervour and then suddenly accepted when the Church "lost its grip on people", which then marked the beginning of Enlightenment and a sharp break with the past. If there is one myth that deserves to be debunked, it's the one about Europeans living in darkness and ignorance due to the power of the Church.

But, back to the topic itself... Europe's rise was IMO due to 3 key factors: its Greco-Roman heritage, the emergence of the European nation state and scholasticism. The Italian Renaissance which someone mentioned was only a highly visual and artistic expression of some of the changes that were already taking place in Europe but by no means the originator or even a significant part of these processes.

The evolution of these 3 key factors and processes can be traced all the way back to the fall of Roman Empire but you could say that they became almost inevitable by the turn of the millenium. By then the Viking raids into mainland Europe had been mostly pacified, the Arab incursions into southern Europe likewise, many European nations were starting to take their modern shape (the Norman conquest of England, etc), all of which enabled long-term stability on the continent which in turn enabled further economic and other developments. But like I said, that's just the part concerning the necessary stability for development and prosperity for the processes to be successful. The processes themselves had much deeper roots...

Edited by abvgd - 18-Feb-2011 at 19:42
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2009 at 00:46
Because Europe was poor, hungry and determined. The civlisations they conqured were rich, decedant, and belived they had a right to power.

The same reason why Europe has lost power over the previous 100 years to other more determined peoples.
dud View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote dud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2009 at 23:51
I think that Europe had a lucky combo of events. One was a population boom around 1500 CE. Also during the time of the Black Death, the public support of the Church faltered and there was much oppression from both Church and state. I think that European superiority was precipitated from the Enlightenment which promoted science when before it had been associated with evil forces. China just didn't have the incentives.  
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2008 at 17:59
What he said about Aryan people does not make him racist. He did not put down any race. In fact if you call him racist then you are are degrading many factions, as Cyrus has already said.

I am not degrading any 'factions' (factions??? what is this AE total war?) by calling a neo-nazi a racist.

if someone says "Aryans" were a great people and then you call him a racist, you have in fact insulted the whole Iranian peoples.

Adolf Hitler said that the 'Aryans' were a great people. According to you everyone who calls him a racist (that is 100 blood percent of mankind), is insulting the 'whole Iranian peoples'.

That's completely ridiculous.

Somehow you have called me an "idiot" but I do not consider it an insult, the problem is that you can't expand your mind about the Aryans, Would you say these things if there were no Nazism?

I don't understand what terrible things have I said about the Aryans? I said the Aryans are the ancestors of Iranians, Indians and Gypsies. They were a historic people with great achievements. However, Ancient Egyptians were not Aryans, neither were the Sumerians nor any Germanic peoples...

The nazis call themselves Aryans and consider you subhuman. You obviously don't know them. To see how the nazis see your Aryan ancestors, go and watch the movie 300...

I have no complain about his ban, as you said he was not banned for his post here but I think Beylerbeyi shouldn't accuse him of being a racist (Nazi) just because he talked about Aryans.

??? I wrote why I identified him as a neo-nazi above. It should be clear for anyone who can read and understand English.
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2008 at 17:21
Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

We don't need to be praised and we don't claim to be the only Aryan people in the world but Iran without Aryan has no meaning, if someone says "Aryans" were a great people and then you call him a racist, you have in fact insulted the whole Iranian peoples.

Yes you are extremely naive.
Somehow you have called me an "idiot" but I do not consider it an insult, the problem is that you can't expand your mind about the Aryans, Would you say these things if there were no Nazism?

His ban had nothing to do with using the word "Aryan", period! Darius and Cyrus if you have more questions then pm me and I will explain the issues. If you don't then give it up and go back to the topic. You guys do not have a foot to stand on if you support the actions of Aurorum, ApologeticAurorum, and Aeolus. All three are the same person cheating the system. This topic will be closed if there is another question about him here!
I have no complain about his ban, as you said he was not banned for his post here but I think Beylerbeyi shouldn't accuse him of being a racist (Nazi) just because he talked about Aryans.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2008 at 15:59

His ban had nothing to do with using the word "Aryan", period! Darius and Cyrus if you have more questions then pm me and I will explain the issues. If you don't then give it up and go back to the topic. You guys do not have a foot to stand on if you support the actions of Aurorum, ApologeticAurorum, and Aeolus. All three are the same person cheating the system. This topic will be closed if there is another question about him here!

Edited by Seko - 30-Sep-2008 at 16:03
Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2008 at 15:34
What he said about Aryan people does not make him racist. He did not put down any race. In fact if you call him racist then you are are degrading many factions, as Cyrus has already said. 
What is the officer problem?
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2008 at 15:24
We don't need to be praised and we don't claim to be the only Aryan people in the world but Iran without Aryan has no meaning, if someone says "Aryans" were a great people and then you call him a racist, you have in fact insulted the whole Iranian peoples.

Yes you are extremely naive.
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2008 at 15:18
Btw, Cyrus and Darius, you are really naive thinking that when these people praise 'Aryans' they praise the Iranians...

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2008 at 13:45
Aurorum used neo-nazi symbolism (suspicious name and avatar), ideas (only place I know which claims that the Ancient Egyptians are 'Aryan' is the stormfront.org), which made him suspect and he topped that by explicitly writing that non-western people are genetically inferior, confirming my suspicions. That's why I confronted him. Maybe he was just a clueless teen who's read stormfront shit and tought it was cool, in which case he could be rehabilitated. Would be interesting to see his reply to my post (the one he wrote was after he got banned, so probably does not show his real reaction).

Btw, Cyrus and Darius, you are really naive thinking that when these people praise 'Aryans' they praise the Iranians... They don't. For them Germanics etc. are Aryan, Iranians are subhumans. They believe ancient Iranians were like Germans (blond and intelligent), but they mixed with inferior peoples so today's Iranians are no longer white and intelligent...  This is 19th century European racism, last great example of course was the nazis who called themselves Aryan but massaccred the Gypsies who are the real Aryans.

And if any of these types tell you that you are white, that is only because they want to divide your nation and steal your history. Don't fall for that. Zagros is good in this aspect.
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2008 at 06:08
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

This specific statement, along with the general candor of some of his other posts, is the one which made him suspect:

Originally posted by Aurorum

Discovery and progress is difficult in societies which hold tradition above exploration; and if y' can't think of alternatives -- if your genetic combination does not allow for creativity and flexibility -- y' can't move ahead.
Ok, but I write this scientific statement somewhere to remember it.

Discovery and progress is difficult in societies which hold tradition above exploration. Clap
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 22:10
For anyone interested, Aurorum was not simply banned for one post. Other posts were also taken into consideration. Notice how the last sentence is racist. Now I hope the rest of you are clear as to his banishment so please go back to posting and let the staff go back to moderating!

Auruorums other interesting post:

The Koreans even developed an alphabet.

Despite being closer than the Far Easterners to the inventors of the wheel, West Africans did not manage to use the wheel very often.

They have, however, successfully attached really, really large and shiny spinning things onto cars in those united States.

Being that you have illegally came back your new username is also banned!

ApologeticAurorum View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Suspended

Quote ApologeticAurorum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 22:02
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

This specific statement, along with the general candor of some of his other posts, is the one which made him suspect.

I'm sorry, again. I did not mean to be rude.
ApologeticAurorum View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Suspended

Quote ApologeticAurorum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 22:01

Oh no, another nazi with lenoardo avatar!

Eep! It was the best information I had! I'm sorry! Cry

Bollocks. The wheel originates from Mesapotamia. Which is in Asia.

I meant West of the Far East. Tongue ... Ouch

Egypt was not an Aryan empire. What's more, Westerners are not Aryan, Iranians, Indians and Gypsies are.

I didn't say they were... Cry

Ancient (and modern) Greeks are Mediterraneans, both genetically and culturally, and not Westerners.

Oh! Okay. Smile

Why Tesla? Must be a neo-nazi thing. Anyway he was a Southern Slav, not a Westerner.

I'm not a neo-nazi... Ouch

If I'm part Slav, am I not a Westerner?

Just remember that when the Sumerians (a people who spoke a non-indo-european language, whose true name literally means 'those with black hair') invented writing, the wheel, cities, etc. etc. your superior Western people were living in caves...

I will certainly keep these things in mind!

Thank you very much! I apologize for coming across as insensitive and racist! I am not either! Cry

I have now learned! There is no further reason to propagate incorrect data. Embarrassed
Slayertplsko View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 17:00

Let us not forgot the six-thousand-year Western technological advantage: The wheel was introduced to Asia via the West;

Let us not forgEt that Mesopotamia is actually situated in Asia.

chemicals and batteries and advanced social-systems were developed by the Aryan empires (Egyptian, Persian, and Northern Indian)

I think you left a few Semitic empires of great imporance out...why?? And you claimed Egyptians to be Aryan. Ouch...

And about the Northern Indian civilisation, do you mean Harappa?? Because that one wasn't Aryan either.

Where are you from?

Edited by Slayertplsko - 29-Sep-2008 at 17:38
A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open.
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 16:10
This specific statement, along with the general candor of some of his other posts, is the one which made him suspect:

Discovery and progress is difficult in societies which hold tradition above exploration; and if y' can't think of alternatives -- if your genetic combination does not allow for creativity and flexibility -- y' can't move ahead.

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 15:55
I just hope his saying about Aryans has not been considered as racist!

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 30-Sep-2008 at 15:03
Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 15:31
I don't think he was being racist at all...
What is the officer problem?
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 14:55
Aurorum, after reading your posts you do tend to appear to only know of black and white. You have also shown a lack of intellectual capacity necessary for proper and objective dialogue. Being that is the case, Bey has observed your racist remarks as a threat to educated discussions and to our patience. I second his notion that you are better off at stormfront. Adios!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>