Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anatoly Fomenko and his theories on history

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Hrothgar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Hrothgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anatoly Fomenko and his theories on history
    Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 00:32
he's crazy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6NBD_EsVcc

Shocked
Hrothgar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Hrothgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 00:48
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unJD7Z2AAzw
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 11:37
Yes, he is more than a little over the edge. We had a thread going about his chronology a couple months back, I was going to give you the link but found it locked. It must have gotten a little heated. The sad thing is there are a lot of people who believe that garbage.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Onkel_Wowa View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Onkel_Wowa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 12:07
I read his books. Simple and very plausible.

Hrothgar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Hrothgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 12:23
Originally posted by Onkel_Wowa

I read his books. Simple and very plausible.

you have an interesting name.  what is your origin?
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Onkel_Wowa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 12:28
Russian and German.
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 12:57
Yes, he is more than a little over the edge. We had a thread going about his chronology a couple months back, I was going to give you the link but found it locked. It must have gotten a little heated. The sad thing is there are a lot of people who believe that garbage.

Not only is it garbage, it also represents a very narrow view of world history. Most of his work only concerns western history and ignores eastern history, like those of China and India. Unlike Fomenko's tale, the actual real history can be verified throughout all cultures of the world. From Chinese accounts, we find records of Parthia, and through Parthia we find records links Rome.

Edited by Imperator Invictus - 18-Sep-2006 at 12:58
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Onkel_Wowa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 13:17
Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

Not only is it garbage, it also represents a very narrow view of world history. Most of his work only concerns western history and ignores eastern history, like those of China and India. Unlike Fomenko's tale, the actual real history can be verified throughout all cultures of the world. From Chinese accounts, we find records of Parthia, and through Parthia we find records links Rome.

I've got an impression, that most of his work published in Russian and dedicated to the Russian history.
What about his mathematical methods? As well garbage?
Hrothgar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Hrothgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 13:27
so what is the reason that so much history has been invented?
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 14:46

I've got an impression, that most of his work published in Russian and dedicated to the Russian history.
What about his mathematical methods? As well garbage?

garbage in garbage out. The method may be fine, but he starts out with flawed data (which is probably deliberate). For instance, he compares lists of Roman rulers with lists of later medieval rulers (to prove that the medieval rulers never existed), but he uses lists that leave out certain rulers or have reign lengths different from what is commonly accepted.

Edited by Imperator Invictus - 18-Sep-2006 at 16:50
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Onkel_Wowa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 15:20
Every theory has a flow. But in general, Fomenko's ideas look more logical than what is usually written about ancient and medieval history.
How do You explain the "dark ages", for example?
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 15:56
How do You explain the "dark ages", for example?
Hard to sum. However I recommend you to forget about the word "dark" and try to see how society evolved in the last 50 years. Analyse other better known historical periods and after a while you may infer evolution of a society (under internal and external factors) is common but also complex thing to happen.
If you want to understand this particular evolution you have to leave at the door a lot of your modern values and grasp the bits of information and weave between them. The more curious and agenda-free will be your inquiry, the more you'll be suprised. Enjoy! Wink

Edited by Chilbudios - 18-Sep-2006 at 15:58
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 17:03
There's nothing wrong with the Dark Age. I don't see what the fuss is about. 
arsenka View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote arsenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2006 at 02:23
I'd rather not took it too serious.
Fomenko doesn't belong to Russian oficial historiography and his ideas will hardly ever be taken seriously.
Shall I discover a great secret to you if I tell that he had made a great deal of money with his books?
He made them scandalous deliberately, I bet. They have nothing to do with history at all but they draw public attention (just what was necessary for the author).
The simpliest way to make people listen to you is to cry: "People! They (in Fomenko's case - historians) are cheating you! Listen to me and I'll tell you the truth! You have a right to know it!"
Nobody among the people I know believed in his "theory" but almost everybody considered his duty to buy his book just to be abreast of scandal.
Funny and sad!
BTW how do you know about him? Are his books translated?      
arsenka
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Onkel_Wowa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2006 at 08:15
Anatoly Fomenko (born in 1945) is mathematician, histoty is his hobby. His books about mathematics are translated into English, Japanese and other  languages. http://dfgm.math.msu.su/people/fomenko/part4.php

First Fomenko's articles about history appeared about 30 or more years ago. He became famous only recently. His historical books show how ridiculous the classical chronology is. You don't have to accept his theories, but it is very beneficial to read them. Some of his historical books are translated into English.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2006 at 02:50
Can you imagine a handfull of Jesuit building in 200 years the pyramids, the long wall, the Roman forum (an then destroying it) and writting the Bible, the history of the crusade and Aristotle's work (plus all its medieval commentators) and managing to convince everyone that this is the correct history. All that in secret! Gee these Jesuits have to be from some other planet!
I am a free donkey!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 03:56
Hey Folks!

Do you know Uwe Topper? He propose appriximately the same idea as Fomenko, and he does it independently. See

See also

This is my contribution against history faking in future.

Edited by Ruslan_Sharipov - 09-Nov-2006 at 04:04
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Onkel_Wowa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 10:07
Never heard about Uwe Topper. Thank You for the interesting links.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 10:13
Originally posted by Ruslan_Sharipov

Hey Folks!

Do you know Uwe Topper? He propose appriximately the same idea as Fomenko, and he does it independently. See

See also

This is my contribution against history faking in future.

I opened a topic about him long time ago, but couldn't find it anymore. It quoted some "work" by him that claimed Charlemagne had never existed and had been an elaborate invention by some sinister historians.He's a, bad, joke and nobody takes him serious in Germany, apart from his mum.

Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 00:04
Hah, I was just reading about him the other day, and I was wondering "now what if some nut came to AE spouting this nonsense, how would everyone react?"

I mean, Immanuel Velikovsky and Gavin Menzies strain the bounds of credulity. This guy is nuts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>