Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

If you know greek...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If you know greek...
    Posted: 17-Sep-2006 at 18:20
Here it is a speach of a Greek economist and Primeminister(for a while). It is understandable by an english-speaker and a non-english speaker Greek.:

I eulogise the archons of the Panethnic Numismatic Thesaurus and the Ecumenical Trapeza for the Orthodoxy of their Axioms, methods and policies, although there is an episode of cacophony of the trapeza with HELLAS.

With enthusiasm we dialogue and synagonize at the synods of our didimous organizations in which polymorfous economic ideas and dogmas are analyzed and synthetized.

Our critical problems such as the numismatic plethora generate some agony and melancholy. This phenomenon is caracteristic of our epoch. But to, my thesis , we have the dynamism to program therapeutic practices as a prophylaxis  from chaos and catastrophe.

In parallel, a panethnic unhypocritical economic synergy and harmonization in a democratic climate is basic.

I apologize for my eccentric monologue.

I emphasize my eucharisties to you Kyrie, to the eugenic and generous American ethnos and to the organizers and protagonists of this amphictiony and the gastronomic symposia.

And here another by Dr. John N. Kalaras, founder of Ariston University:

The scope of my lecture is to generate a dynamic dialogue on organizational and economic systems and techniques. Basically, my methodology is characterized by dialogue, a systematic phenomenon with every academician or epistimologist.

I will systematically analyze the idiosyngracies and the characteristics of the organizational systems practiced today.

The architecture of my analysis-strategy, is systematic and pragmatic, yet paradoxically is characterized by enthusiasm and synchronization between theory and practice. The harmonic synergy of mathematical models and statistical techniques, has generated theorems and axioms practiced in capitalistic economic systems.  My philosophy is logical, ethical and practical and has erected organizational models that have generated economic euphoria.

The magic esthetics of my tactic, is the plethora of Hellenic terminology in my phraseology.

The genesis of tragic economic problems generated in an economy are not symptomatic, in fact they are cyclical and periodic phenomena.

Such phenomena stigmatize and traumatize the economic euphoria of the agora.

Economic systems basically symbolize the philosophy and ideology of the governing political party.

The chronic and pathetic egomania and megalomania of certain governors, monarchs or tyrants, their apathy for philanthropy, their enigmatic and problematic logic, generated gigantic economic crises, which stigmatized and traumatized their political career. Such practices generate phobia, panic and periodically paralysis of the socioeconomic system.

The agora, during the archaic periods, was characterized as the physical parameters where philosophers, scholars, economists and epistimologists analyzed the problems generated by the political system.

The basic methodology was dialogue or rhetoric.

Dialogue, in a diametric antithesis with the monologue, has magic, it is characterized by synthesis and analysis and a plethora of other lectic schemes.

perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2006 at 09:22
nice!!!
very good
Samos national guard.

260 days left.
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2006 at 11:19
You don't need a MIchigan or Oxford lower Perikles, just speek greekLOL
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2006 at 09:57
Well, well. This is a typical example when one understands all words but not the whole meaning itself. Big smile

Edited by Anton - 20-Sep-2006 at 09:58
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2006 at 10:14
That is what you have to say Andon? If you know exactly the meaning of the words i don't understand why you don't get the meaning.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2006 at 10:28

Maybe because there is not much meaning Wink  

I apologize for my eccentric monologue.

This is the most important part Smile 
But, I agree we use plenty of greek words in our vocabulary. Many of biological terms that I use have greek origin (words like synapse, neuron, autosomal, phagocytosis etc. etc. etc.).
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 05:14
ive seen this before, you have to be very well educated to get all of  that.

talk like that to the average jo, and you will get a confuse 'what the' look.

Edited by Leonidas - 21-Sep-2006 at 05:30
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2006 at 21:01
http://tetraktys.org/apella/index.php?s=f524c49bcc4bba952eec3fc465ac12b 4&showtopic=27

Η διαδοχή των γραμμάτων στην πλήρη εκφώνησή τους δεν είναι καθόλου τυχαία
αλλά πίσω από αυτήν υπολανθάνει μία πλήρης γραμματική, συντακτική
και νοηματική συνέχεια, ανωτέρας συλλήψεως. Σύμφωνα με αυτήν την γνωστή μας
εκφώνηση, τα ελληνικά γράμματα (αφού προσθέσουμε και το εξαφανισμένο σήμερα έκτο γράμμα: Στίγμα ή Δίγαμα) ακούγονται και γράφονται ως εξής:
ΑΛΦΑ-ΒΗΤΑ-ΓΑΜΑ-ΔΕΛΤΑ-ΕΨΙΛΟΝ-ΣΤΙΓΜΑ-ΖΗΤΑ-ΗΤΑ-ΘΗΤΑ-ΙΩΤΑ-ΚΑΠΠΑ-ΛΑΜΒΔΑ-Μ Ι-ΝΙ-ΞΙ-ΟΜΙΚΡΟΝ-ΠΙ-ΡΟ-ΣΙΓΜΑ-ΤΑΥ-ΥΨΙΛΟΝ-ΦΙ-ΧΙ-ΨΙ-ΩΜΕΓΑ.

Αποκωδικ οποιώντας την γνωστή αυτή διάταξη, που έγινε σύμφωνα με τις αρχές
της Ερμητικής φιλοσοφίας, έχουμε τα ακόλουθα:
ΑΛ ΦΑ, ΒΗ ΤΑ ΓΑ, (Α)ΜΑ ΔΕ (Ε)Λ ΤΑ ΕΨ ΙΛΩΝ, ΣΤ(Η) ΙΓΜΑ, ΖΗ ΤΑ, Η ΤΑ, ΘΗ ΤΑ
ΙΩΤΑ ΚΑ ΠΑΛΑΜ, ΔΑ, ΜΗ ΝΥΞ Η, Ο ΜΙΚΡΟΝ, ΠΥΡΟΣ ΙΓΜΑ ΤΑΦΥ (Ε)Ψ ΙΛΩΝ,
ΦΥ ΨΥΧΗ Ο ΜΕΓΑ.

Εν συνεχεία, αφού προσθέσουμε τα εννοούμενα συνδετικά και ρήματα που
παραλείπονται, έχουμε την ανάδυση μιάς θαυμάσιας κοσμογονικής
προσευχής - επίκλησης προς την πηγή του φωτός.
ΑΛ ΦΑ, ΒΗ ΤΑ ΓΑ!
ΑΜΑ ΔΕ ΕΛ ΤΑ ΕΨΙΛΩΝ,
ΣΤΗ ΙΓΜΑ ΚΑΤΑ ΠΑΛΛΑΝ ΔΑ
(ΙΝΑ) ΜΗ ΝΥΞΗ, Ο ΜΙΚΡΟΝ (ΕΣΤΙ)
ΠΥΡΟΣ (ΔΕ)
ΙΓΜΑ ΤΑΦΗ ΕΨΙΛΩΝ, ΦΥ(ΟΙ) ΨΥΧΗ,
Ο ΜΕΓΑ (ΕΣΤΙ).

Η ΣΗΜΑΣΙΑ ΤΗΣ:

Αλ=Ο νοητός ήλιος
Φα-ος=Το φως
Βη=προστακτική του ρήματος βαίνω (βαδίζω, έρχομαι)
Τα=Δοτική άρθρου δωρικού τύπου τη, εις την
Γα=Γη (δωρικός τύπος)
Άμα=(επιρρ.) συγχρόνως
Έλ= ο ορατός Ήλιος, ο Ερχόμενος
Έψ=ρήμα έψομαι, εψ-ημένος, ψημένος.
Ιλών=Ιλύς (ουσιαστικό), λάσπη, πηλός
Στή=προστακτική ρήματος ίστημι.
Ίγμα=καταστάλαγμα, απόσταγμα.
Ζή=προστακτική ρήματος ζω.
Η=υποτακτική ρήματος ειμί, είμαι
Θη=προστακτική ρήματος θέτω.
Ιώτα=τα ίωγα, τα Εγώ.
Παλάν=Ρήμα πάλλω (δονούμαι, περιστρέφομαι) επίθετο
παλλάς-πάλλουσι,περιστρεφόμενη (πρβλ: Παλλας Αθηνά).
Δά=άλλος τύπος της Γα, Γης (πρβλ: Δαμήτηρ, Δημήτηρ,
Δήμητρα=Μητέρα γη).
Νύξ=νύκτα.
Ο=το οποίο, που
Φυ(οι)=ευκτική ρήματος φύω (φυτρώνω, αναπτύσσομαι).
Κ.Ο.Κ.

ΜΕ ΛΙΓΑ ΛΟΓΙΑ...
( ΑΛ, ΕΣΥ ΠΟΥ ΕΙΣΑΙ ΤΟ ΦΩΣ, ΕΛΑ ΣΤΗ ΓΗ! ΚΑΙ ΕΣΥ ΕΛ ΡΙΞΕ ΤΙΣ ΑΚΤΙΝΕΣ ΣΟΥ ΣΤΗΝ
ΙΛΥ ΠΟΥ ΨΗΝΕΤΑΙ (που βρίσκεται σε κατάσταση αναβρασμού). ΑΣ ΓΙΝΕΙ
ΕΝΑ ΚΑΤΑΣΤΑΛΑΓΜΑ (μία ξηρά) ΓΙΑ ΝΑ ΜΠΟΡΕΣΟΥΝ ΤΑ ΕΓΩ ΝΑ ΖΗΣΟΥΝ, ΝΑ ΥΠΑΡΞΟΥΝ ΚΑΙ ΝΑ ΣΤΑΘΟΥΝ ΠΑΝΩ ΣΤΗ ΓΗ. ΑΣ ΜΗΝ ΕΠΙΚΡΑΤΗΣΗ Η ΝΥΚΤΑ ΠΟΥ ΕΙΝΑΙ ΤΟ ΜΙΚΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΚΙΝΔΥΝΕΨΕΙ ΝΑ ΤΑΦΗ (να σβήση, να χαθεί) ΤΟ ΚΑΤΑΣΤΑΛΑΓΜΑ ΤΟΥ ΠΥΡΟΣ ΜΕΣΑ ΣΤΗΝ ΑΝΑΒΡΑΖΟΥΣΑ ΙΛΥ, ΚΑΙ ΑΣ ΑΝΑΠΤΥΧΘΕΙ Η ΨΥΧΗ, ΠΟΥ ΕΙΝΑΙ ΤΟ ΜΕΓΙΣΤΟ, ΤΟ ΣΗΜΑΝΤΙΚΟΤΕΡΟ ΟΛΩΝ!

Εντυπωσιακό;
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 05:13
What a load of nonsense...
Is it another Liakopoulos friend writing these etymological absurdities?

(and secondly, who, apart form greeks in here, would make any sense out of your post?)

LOL
CARRY NOTHING
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 06:15
We mustn't say that kind of bul***. We don't have to.
This kind of staff reminds me some albanians who try to say that omeric greek language is albanian by such methods.
Liakopoulaioi kai s.i.a. aplws konomane kai lene gia xantha genoi kai alles tetoies mal***. Auta vlepoun oi koultouriarides kai antidroun kai theoroun ton patriotismo ethnikismo. 
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 12:02
Unfortunately I don't read Greek, therefore can't comment on iapetos' post. A reminder to write in or translate to English is necessary if the post is to stay however. If not, it will be removed.
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 15:08
Originally posted by Seko

Unfortunately I don't read Greek, therefore can't comment on iapetos' post. A reminder to write in or translate to English is necessary if the post is to stay however. If not, it will be removed.

In principle, exactly as Seko mentions. When it comes to Patrinos comment in Greek, it's harmless and makes no sense to non-Greeks. He refers to a Greek as*hole and ultra-right fascist who has a show in a marginal TV channel (4-rate, warehouse-studio kind of thing) and shells his books through this channel, basically claiming that all civilizations on earth (as well as some extraterrestrials) are of Greek origin. Actually if you don't take him seriously it's a good comedy show.
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 16:16
I have no knowledge of Liakopoulos and or his agenda. Nor do I care for it. What amazed me was the power of the Alphabet, and it's many meanings. The fact that all European languages are full of Greek words especially in the sciences is self evident. It is an undeniable fact that Greece, today is sprinkled with dialects and we have a hard time to understand one another, unless we use interpeters!
In Homeric times the same was true. So why is is unthinkable, to say that Latin, Italian, Spanish, French, German, English, are not Greek dialects?
Has anyone seen or heard of a book called "Hebrew is Greek"?
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 16:37
Listen Iapetos, you don't make any sense.

What on earth do you mean by implying Greek origin of so many distinct and different languages. Unless you're simply joking and I didn't get it Confused

When you refer to Greek dialects, I have traveled all over Greece and I can understand all languages. If I miss a word or an expression here and there, that's fine, but I can still communicate. Something that I cannot say for my trips to Italy or France.

Jesus, what am I replying to? It's like trying to prove that you're not an elephant Dead
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 19:33
Originally posted by iapetos

It is an undeniable fact that Greece, today is sprinkled with dialects and we have a hard time to understand one another, unless we use interpeters!
Is Greek your mother tongue? If yes, can you give a couple examples of Greek dialects that you cannot understand without the help of interpreters?                                                                                                                 
So why is is unthinkable, to say that Latin, Italian, Spanish, French, German, English, are not Greek dialects?
Has anyone seen or heard of a book called "Hebrew is Greek"?
Do you seriously believe that kind of stuff?
As for your first post (see entuposiako?) can you give a primary source for that? I'd like to know who came up with this theory... (The link that you posted requires registration)
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 19:56
Sorry to disturb you guys, but I have a mention and question. I have two mother tongues (mother and father to be precise Smile) Bulgarian and Russian. I lived in both countries for a long time and traveled a bit. In both countries dialects in many regions are very different and sometimes are really hard to understand. I mean, one spends a bit of time repeating words for himself in order to understand. And also those dialects are rather different from literary languages which are spoken in big cities. Don't you have similar situation in some let say small villages in the depth of Greece?
Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 21:31
Yes, we have similar situations in Greece as well; there are several dialects, sometimes quite different from one another, but they are just that: dialects of the same language. Thus, if you have an adequate knowledge of the "standard" Greek language (i.e. the one you learn at school, you hear on TV etc), you will be able to understand the several dialects. Due to different accents and some differences in vocabulary you won't understand all words and expressions, but it's not like you won't be able to communicate. If you don't understand sth you can ask what it means and you will learn about it.
In the extreme case that you take an old and uneducated person from a remote village of Ioannina and another one from a Cretan village (the example is arbitrary) and put them together, they will probably have a hard time understanding what the other is saying. However, even in this case, they will know that they speak the same language and they will be able to communicate.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 10:59
I was born in Crete, and I will give one example. Polemos, is defined as war, in any dictionary. Yet, when you go to a small vilage you get defenitions not written in dictionaries.
a) Polemo ton patera mou= peripoioumai ton patera mou.
b) polemo ton kipo mou= kaliergo ton kipo mou.
c) polemo na diavaso= prospatho na diavaso.
Greek has more dictionaries than you can imagine, Homeric, Platonic, Hellenistic, Mythic...
Today's Greeks consider ancient Greek a forein language. How many Greeks do you know who master all the 70.000.000 words contained in the Ibykus of Irwin university?
If you ask 100 Greeks today to give you the definition of the word God you will get 100 wrong answers!

I do not only believe but I know, that Anna Tziropoulou Eustathiou, wrote two volumes and proved that European languages are Greek dialects!

The Greek Alfabet of my first post I Found at Tetraktys. org and I was impressed. If it came from Mao or Plato or you makes no difference to me.

Erotokritos needs a dictionary to be understood by most Greeks.
Recently a German linguist Nors S. Josephson proved beyond any dought that the peoples of the Pacific speak ancinient Greek.

Of course theese vews are not "Orthodox" and you will not find them neither in the OT or the NT!Clap

Antioxos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Antioxos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 15:19

Don t forget that we have also "katharevousa" , is not in use but in our

period young generations cannot understand it.I dont know exactly the date that "katharevousa" stopped teached in schools.For sure it was in use until 1974.

Edited by Antioxos - 28-Sep-2006 at 15:21
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2006 at 04:28
pacific islanders speak greek? LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>