Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dalit women

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TeldeInduz View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dalit women
    Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 10:33

A curious thing I came across. Perhaps Vivek can enlighten me how common these are. In the Prevention of Atrocities Act (1989), it is an offence :

(i) forces a member of a Scheduled Caste or a Scheduled Tribe to drink or eat any inedible or obnoxious substance (faeces);

(ii) acts with intent to cause injury, insult or annoyance to any member of a Scheduled Caste or a Scheduled Tribe by dumping excreta, waste matter, carcasses or any other obnoxious substance in his premises or neighborhood;

(iii) forcibly removes clothes from the person of a member of a Scheduled Caste or a Scheduled Tribe or parades him naked or with painted face or body or commits any similar act which is derogatory to human dignity;

(xiii) corrupts or fouls the water of any spring, reservoir or any other source ordinarily used by members of the Scheduled Caste or the Scheduled Tribes so as to render it less fit for the purpose for which it is ordinarily used;

There seem to be quite a few cases of parading Dalit women naked. Is this a custom?

Edited by TeldeInduz - 15-Sep-2006 at 10:33
Quoo-ray sha quadou sarre.................
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 17:50
Dalit women are often mistreated by highcaste Hindus. If a Dalit or any other lowcaste women is raped or molested by highcaste Hindu males, the chances of her receiving any justice are slim to say the least. A history of India shows that many, many Dalits and other lowcastes (or scheduled castes) have converted and continue to convert to Islam or Christianity in order to escape persecution from highcaste Hindus.
 Post Reply Post Reply