Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Greeks against the Axis forces

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Greeks against the Axis forces
    Posted: 07-Dec-2006 at 09:31
i think that the ideal position was the spanish,something like that i mean..
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2006 at 11:54
Let's not forget that Greece was attacked without warning by on of the Axis members. I think when you're attacked by someone it decides which side you'll be on. Greece, along with other smaller countries, stayed on the sidelines as long she could; then, upon being attacked, she had to chose sides.
Besides, there no way to tell how things would've turned up if Greece joined the Axis. Could the country turn Communist at the end of the war? Or Greece's fate was sealed at Yalta and it would matter which side Greece fought on (meaning that it would remain in the western sphere regardless of sides)? Hungary, Romania (they switched sides at the very end only not to be brutalized by the Red Army), and Bulgaria all sided with the Axis and turned Communist in the end.
Not to mention that righteousness dictates to side with the "right" cause and Germany in WW II wasn't exactly on the right side of  things like human rights, treatment of minorities, etc.
And the territorial gain was the entire Dodecanese, not just Rhodos. Of course it could be argued that this area has always been under the influence of the Greek culture on the mainland (starting with 1100 BC) and "gaining" what's culturally yours anyway isn't really a gain.

Edited by konstantinius - 07-Dec-2006 at 14:58
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2006 at 16:03
i agree with you as far as it concerns Dodecanese but on the other hand as far as i know Hitler didn t want greece being attacked by Italy and fully disagree with Musolini about this,and as it is said the Italian failure and forced german campaign on balkans had as a result the delay of the beggining of operation Barbarrosa and finally the defeat of germans in eastern front..
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2006 at 23:40
Originally posted by think

Originally posted by Leonidas

great post konstantinus, i couldnt put it better myself. I may add the same goes for the italians

What about Northern italians.
good pick up, when i was writing that i really  was thinking calabrians and sicilians (who seemed to oppose mussolini more than other region and from the begining). northen italians are a different people so next time ill be more specific.Embarrassed
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2006 at 16:43
A Greek who fought for America and his picture became a symbol of the American soldier...I suppose you've seen this photo:

Read more about Angelo Spyros Klonis who after he wrongly informed that his parents were killed by the Germans back in Greece he entered the US army and fought both in Normandy and Saipan,here
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234