Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Greeks against the Axis forces

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
olkiej View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote olkiej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Greeks against the Axis forces
    Posted: 24-Sep-2006 at 16:44
THis MOvie is gonna rock dude, Greeks and turks OWN ALL
Eternal Ban View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Eternal Ban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2006 at 03:32

Photos taken from Pro facist Modern Greek site:

Pictures of Modern day Greeks doing Nazi Salutes, kids acting like Nazis. Modern day Greek Officials with nazi members oh my.

xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2006 at 07:16
Eh? So what?
Greece had and has very few nazis and neonazis.
Modern day Greek Officials with nazi members oh my.
What's that?

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2006 at 07:22
actaully that post is off topic, out of context and wriiten with malice.

want to talk about greek extremeist eternal ban, then start a thread about greek facists.

this is about greece's battle with facists
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2006 at 09:05
Pictures of Modern day Greeks doing Nazi Salutes
Modern Day???You are 65 years away.

Metaxas even though he was a fascist(i don't like him at all) he said the famous "OXI" (NO) to the fascists Italians.
PS:Eternal what do you want to show with your links? I don't get it. Don't you recognise the anti-fascist,anti-nazi contribution of the huge-huge majority of the Greeks? I don't know where you are from but all of our neighbors took advantage of our resistance to Germans and Italians and by collaborating with them tried to gain greek soil.........

akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2006 at 09:35

The Resistance against Axis during the occupation was important.Was now reaching serious dimensions, though somewhat later in Greece than in other parts of the Balkans. Particularly severe reprisals were inflicted after the combined forces of EDES, ELAS and the British parachutists destroyed the Gorgopotamos railway viaduct on 25  November 1942.

Operation Harling as it was called  was the most important single success of the resistance and the only one in which ELAS co-operated with other guerrillas (EDES) under a single command.

The purpose of the Gorgopotamos operation was to support the advance of the 8th Army in North Africa, which began at El Alamein on the night of 23 October. Although it came a month late for that purpose, and caused less disruption to the German supply-line than had been hoped, it had important consequences. In the military context it showed for the first time in occupied Europe that guerrillas with the support of allied officers(British)  could carry out a major tactical operation co-ordinated with allied strategic plans.

It stimulated ambitious plans for developing resistance primarily in Greece but also elsewhere. There was equally a great stimulus to Hellenic morale. But in the historical context there was an wen more important consequence.

Edited by akritas - 01-Oct-2006 at 09:39
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2006 at 19:49
Fascism never took root in the Meditteranean because of the exisiting socio/economic conditions. Furthermore, the idea of a "master" race is some what allien to the Balkans, an area where populations have historically been very mixed-up. There is rampant nationalism in the Balkans, very little fascism.
Metaxa's regime was somewhat artificial, it had the feeling that it was imposed from above. It tried to control the youth German-style but this failed because the Greek families were very tight knit, culturally distrusted the state. In invoking the glories of the ancient past, the regime only managed to make the terrible inadequacies and the horrific state of the economy more of a contrast.  It also considered the Church as a competitor for people's minds and  generally  tried  to impose an almost athaeistic society which further contrasted with the deeply religious nature of people in the countryside.

Any nationalistic idea is bound to attach to racial supremacy at some point: if you are so good to deserve to be above all, you have to be "special".  If you are special, you must allign with the masters, NS Germany. Modern Greek fascists are super-nationalistic elements which find the apparent admiration Hitler had for ancient Greek civilization as an invitation to join in.
Well, let me remind you that you're still too dark. You're  untermenchen, you fools. I wish now that I had told this to this New Democracy Youth guy in high school who carried around a photo of Hitler in his wallet. Hitler admired the ancients and respected the ruins of Parthenon by not bombing Athens but considered the Greeks of his day too mixed with subraces, too contaminated. I would also like to remind these folks that they would've ended up as slave labor in the factories of the Reich just like the Poles and the Russians, if not straight in the crematoria. And then, what an irony it would be for a greek to burn in an oven that derived its name so aptly from the Greco-Roman vocabulary...

Edited by konstantinius - 22-Oct-2006 at 21:23
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2006 at 00:00
great post konstantinus, i couldnt put it better myself. I may add the same goes for the italians
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 08:28
What is your opinion if we had joined the axis forces?
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 12:03
I wish that people would understand that- Nazism is a form of Facism, but Facism is not Nazism. Nazism is actually a very specific ideology that can only really be practiced by Germanic peoples. It is common for people to call any kind of racist Neo-Facist a Nazi, and this is actually anything but the truth. Did Metaxas and the Forth of August regime do any war crimes such as Ethnic cleansing?
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 14:01
Originally posted by Earl Aster

Did Metaxas and the Forth of August regime do any war crimes such as Ethnic cleansing?
They make the most worst think as about the modern Greece history.......they imposed dictaroship by overthrow the democracy.This has as result the raise of the nationalism and the communism in Greece.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 17:05
Originally posted by Batu

greek poeple fight good,Italians give up good. this is summary is also good

Hehe Batu.

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 23:44
The Hellenic Royal Army had  ,in fact, much more problems in the mountais than the Italian Army.They did not have the same means of transport,in fact they did not posses any kind of  modern means of transport except from donkeys,their artillery was 20 years old,their rifles were of the same chronology while the Air Force did not have more than 78 military aircraft,many of whom also pretty old.Also,Hellens did  know the Hellenic mountains,but not the Southern Albanian mountains where they advanced after their large counter-attack.

Also,the Adriatic Sea is not the Atlantic!Hell,it was more  easy for Italians to support their troops in the nearby Albania than supporting their troops in Africa.

When the Germans attacked,the Hellenic Royal Army was overstreched and very tired from all those months of fighting in the winter.In fact,many of the heavy artillery of the Rupel fortress were transported to Albania in order to support the Hellenic troops fighting there.So,we cannot possibly know what would happen if the Germans attacked first,thus facing a full strength and rested Hellenic Royal Army.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2006 at 06:23
Originally posted by Leonidas

great post konstantinus, i couldnt put it better myself. I may add the same goes for the italians

What about Northern italians.
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2006 at 15:24
Originally posted by Βο

]What is your opinion if we had joined the axis forces?

Who's "we"? Greece in the '40's?
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2006 at 07:35
yes,we were on the side of allies with so many victims and sacrifies and we gained nothing but some island such as Rodos..
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2006 at 08:11
Originally posted by Βο

]yes,we were on the side of allies with so many victims and sacrifies and we gained nothing but some island such as Rodos..

We also ''gained'' our indepedence (we didn't became an Italian or a German protectorate), and even if we were with the Axis side we would have the same or even a bigger percentage of casualties.
Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2006 at 08:23
Originally posted by Βο

]yes,we were on the side of allies with so many victims and sacrifies and we gained nothing but some island such as Rodos..

Would there have been less victims & more gains if we had chosen to side with the Nazis?

Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2006 at 08:46
Originally posted by Βο     

yes,we were on the side of allies with so many victims and sacrifies and we gained nothing but some island such as Rodos..

What else do you want?Isn't the independence the most important thing.

It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2006 at 09:17
Bulgaria joined the axis and had a very good time during the war.

If Greece had somehow joined the axis, we would probably be mourning our thousands dead soldiers in the russian steppes, who would have died for completely no reason! Also, we would be mourning our bombed by the americans cities. Other than that I don't think we would have other form of devastation. Without occupation the civilian casualties would be few.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>