Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

who had the coolest looking armor/helmets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Hrothgar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Hrothgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: who had the coolest looking armor/helmets
    Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 23:19
I say the trojans and the Japanese Samurai.Clap
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 23:32
What kind of question is this? A helmet is not judged by its looks but by its ability or not to keep your melon intact. You should join Vivek Sharma on the "who are the most beautiful and strong people" thread.

Edited by konstantinius - 13-Sep-2006 at 23:33
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Hrothgar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Hrothgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 01:17
hmm, i can't post pics?

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40149000/jpg/_40149310_brad203.jpg

http://home.gwu.edu/~ehcline/Brad%20Pitt%20in%20Troy.jpg

those are trojan helmets        
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 03:44
Achilles (Brad Pit for the younger) was Greek (Brad Pit isn't), so he's probably wearing a "Greek" helmet.

Important notice: If you're extracting historical information from Hollywood movies, you're up for some major disappointments in your life.
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 05:09
Originally posted by Yiannis

Achilles (Brad Pit for the younger) was Greek (Brad Pit isn't), so he's probably wearing a "Greek" helmet.

Important notice: If you're extracting historical information from Hollywood movies, you're up for some major disappointments in your life.

Yeah, but it is Brad Pitt, so who cares about the helmet? Tongue

Besides, why is that pic on the Uni of Washington's site?

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 06:35
Henry III's helmet, made in 1575 and wore during the Wars of Religions ortherwise I'll go for the Japanese armors with Jinbaori.

Edited by Exarchus - 14-Sep-2006 at 06:36
Vae victis!
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 06:50
Pickelhaube ;)
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 07:20
Originally posted by konstantinius

What kind of question is this? A helmet is not judged by its looks but by its ability or not to keep your melon intact. You should join Vivek Sharma on the "who are the most beautiful and strong people" thread.

Thanks. Helmets & armours are welcome to my thread as long as what is inside can be seen clearly, specially in case of beautiful !
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 07:34
Originally posted by konstantinius

If the question is what helmet was the most beautiful, then yes, in this context it is how you judge the helmet. Historically too, great prestige was attached to beautifully crafted armour, so this is by no means an irrelevant aspect.

Personally I've always been drawn to the look of shiny, heavy cavalry. Especially knights in full Gothic plate, but also Iranian heavy cavalry from the era of the Sassanids onwards, and Mongol heavy cavalry in their lamellar plates.
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 09:51
In the below link you can see what is the real helmets that weared from the ancient Greeks,plus and one Roman.

I am between Royal Spartan  and Macedonian Confused

As about those that speaking for the Troy according Hollywood scripts I suggest to go and read the below link

Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 10:22
[QUOTE]n the below link you can see what is the real helmets that weared from the ancient Greeks,plus and one Roman.

That site looks REALLY unconvincing!
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 14:24
trojan armors are super cool.
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 14:56
Originally posted by Batu

trojan armors are super cool.

Did you watch the movie?
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 15:29
I would say that 10th-11th century scandinavian helmets looks really great.

"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Hrothgar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Hrothgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 16:54
Originally posted by Mosquito

i really dig that one!  almost look byzantine with its fine details!
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 12:49

Pickelhaube

We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 02:11
yes i did

A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
the_oz View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote the_oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2006 at 09:53

Gladiators!!!
Kids View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2006 at 15:28
Samurai amours; especially thier horns and thier iron mask
BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2006 at 19:42
Turkish armour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>