Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Great Naval Battles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great Naval Battles
    Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 00:53
I was reading a book about the Battle of Tsushima and it declared that it was one of the five greatest naval battles of history, with Lepanto, Trafalgar, Jutland, and Midway. I agreed with most of it, but Tsushima, I think, was eclipsed by Salamis. Jutland is also a bit iffy, maybe because the tactical victory and strategic victory were not equivalent. Hampton Roads, the Battles of Hakata Bay, the Battle of the Chesapeake (1781), and St. Vincent deserve honourable mentions at least. What are your thoughts?
hulkster225 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote hulkster225 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 01:32

If I was judging "greatest" by how decisive the battle was I would have to take out Jutland and replace it with Salamis.  I would definitely leave Tsushima in because of how lopsided it was.  The Russian fleet was for all intents and purposes completely destroyed while the Japanese lost almost nothing. 

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 02:32
No, I would replace Trafagler with Actim, if Antony had won we might have had a very different world today.
warwolf1969 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote warwolf1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2010 at 07:03
Jutland should be in, for the simple fact that it was the largest naval battle of the twentith century, definately the largest of the dreadnought/ironclad age. 
DreamWeaver View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2010 at 05:08
Lepanto

More for scale and complicatedness as opposed to ultimate strategic value.
p,c,ma View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote p,c,ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2010 at 16:48
Lets not foget the battles fought by Yi Sun-sin against Japan. Theres also the battle of Economus during the first Punic war, and a loss by the Romans there would have been a worse defeat than the battle of Actium, because there would've never been a Roman Empire.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2010 at 19:15
Judging by the post above, no one ever considered the battle that an undermanned American fleet fought against the Nippon Empire in WW-II?

It literally turned the war into the favor of the USA and its allies!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
p,c,ma View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote p,c,ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2010 at 20:51
Theres also the unsung hero of Thermopalye, without Themistocles the spartans wouldn't have made it one day much less three.
Tiger of Kai View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Tiger of Kai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2010 at 12:54
Tsusima definitely deserves to mentioned among the greatest naval battles of all time. It sort of ushered in a new era of Japanese supremacy in the Pacific.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2010 at 15:09
Originally posted by Tiger of Kai

Tsusima definitely deserves to mentioned among the greatest naval battles of all time. It sort of ushered in a new era of Japanese supremacy in the Pacific.
And in doing so, clearly and decisively demonstrated that an Asian nation could match Europeans in both technology and military expertise.  Tsusima was a "shot heard 'round the world"

Edited by Cryptic - 16-Sep-2010 at 10:12
p,c,ma View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote p,c,ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2010 at 20:21
Themistocles again at the battle of Salamis.
 Post Reply Post Reply