Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pro- Choice or Pro-Life?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pro- Choice or Pro-Life?
    Posted: 06-May-2007 at 00:43

Just because I mention the role of a women in a process, somehow means I ignore the mens role.

No, but taken in regards to other statements you have made it's suggestive that men can be disregarded.

If you base everything on personalisation of morality, then you call to question the whole basis of Law and order.

True.

If anarchy/nudity/muder/canabalism or some other social nasty is part of a persons personal moral code, then how is that acceptable. I personally reject these ideas of individualism, in favour of social values - which should be enforced within a community.

I agree, social values of the community should reign supreme. So we should respect the moral codes of communities made up of anarchists, nudists, murderers and cannibals. In certain Islamic countries anything less than a full burka is immodest. In certain Asian nations suicide isn't condemned. In certain Western nations Intellectual property is given more rights than physical property. You cannot say one culture is more correct than any other, they are all just different.

Laws based on "values" should represent the communities. I do not wish to follow laws based on the values of New York City, San Fransisco or Houston. However I think that they should be able to make legislation that conforms to their moral and ethical code. If this means that they believe that the termination of a woman's pregnancy can be the choice of that woman, then so be it. Just as I believe people should respect a community that chooses not to allow such a thing, we are not serfs after all, people can and do move all of the time, at least in America.

Nor does aelgifu, yet she made even more extreme conclusions based on the research. I merely denied the power of the conclusions that were made.

Even if she too, was in the wrong one is supposed to rise above their opponents, and not remain at their level.

Well that hurt. But it wouldn't be the first time I was called a a-hole!LOL

We are all whores and assholes at one or more points in our lives, the trick is to have it be a temporary condition and not a state of being.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 18:19

Casual sex is something only whores and assholes participate in.

Why? If no one is gonna get hurt or a pregnancy that is not wanted ensues why is it so terrible to have casual sex?

EDIT: whores don't have tend to have casual sex, its the opposite of casual more like professional sex.

Edited by New User - 06-May-2007 at 18:21
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 00:04

Why? If no one is gonna get hurt or a pregnancy that is not wanted ensues why is it so terrible to have casual sex?

Casual sex degrades the intimacy and emotional attraction that sex holds between couples who choose to engage in non-casual sex. It sets up a thought process that getting off is more important than having an emotional commitment with someone. Also everytime one chooses to engage in casual sex it cheapens the act for their future relationships. Also it shows that you don't respect yourself or others enough to build a stable relationship first.

Not saying sex to just get off is wrong, just that it shouldn't be your only goal in a relationship.

New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 00:20
^^^^^^ 
or...that you love to make love in an emotional partnership but when not in one enjoy a more casual physical experience. Two differing things IMO and not logical that it sets up any thought process that it is better than in a loving relationship.

I just reckon as long as pregnancy issues alongside others are born in mind, casual sex does not have to be this morally degrading thing folk think it is. It's just a different thing than making love with a close loving partner.

Anyway...my thoughts.Smile

Edited by New User - 07-May-2007 at 00:27
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 00:58
I'm pro-choice for the simple fact, that if some guy raped me, and got me pregnant, i would not want to give birth to his child. In fact, i would rather die than let a rapist have the satisfaction of getting me pregnant.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 01:30

i would rather die than let a rapist have the satisfaction of getting me pregnant.

Rapists generally don't get their satisfaction from getting a woman pregnant, in fact they don't get their satisfaction from the sexual act. It is the psychological domination that they get their satisfaction from, so in order for you to 'not let them have their satisfaction' you would have to come out of the incident with an intact psyche. Something that I don't believe I could do if I was raped.

Rape to me in the sense of it's relation to abortion is one of the worst situations a person can find themselves in. Because it's always a lose-lose scenario. Because if the woman chooses to terminate the pregnancy, not only does she have to go through the psychological trauma of the rape, but with the trauma of the abortion. Then there is the fact that a child was conceived that as a biological organism is hard-wired to want to live, and is a complete and utter innocent bystander in the whole series of events leading to it's destruction. Then if a woman chooses to give birth she has a daily reminder of the man who raped her.

This is why I believe that during times like that psychiatric health shouldn't be ignored. How can anyone have a safe and healthy abortion when your mental health is completely ignored in the procedure.

that you love to make love in an emotional partnership but when not in one enjoy a more casual physical experience.

Then why even get involved in emotional partnerships? If you still say the goal is to eventually end up in an emotional partnership, then how can you respect the person who your having sex with when your "in between" relationships. Having no respect for someone else makes you an asshole, having no respect for yourself and expressing that idea makes you a whore.

Oh and just to let you know the most emotional partnership in my life began with a casual physical experience, that doesn't mean I wasn't an asshole and she wasn't a whore.

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 09:17
Originally posted by Penelope

I'm pro-choice for the simple fact, that if some guy raped me, and got me pregnant, i would not want to give birth to his child. In fact, i would rather die than let a rapist have the satisfaction of getting me pregnant.

Of course, and even if he got no satisfaction out of it; when you have children should be your choice and not some random criminal's. It is beyond me why people here even try to argue against or see "nuances" in this. Seeing sentences like "pregnancy by rape is bad, BUT...[insert explanation of how the woman should live the rest of her life based on this rape]" makes my gut wrench.

I have, of course, long since made my case in this thread and made it clear why I believe abortion shouldn't just be allowed in cases of rape but also as a last resort contraceptive, and I don't feel as if I have anything new to add, except maybe how surprised I am with the attitude of certain people here, people whom I have argued with on other topics and used to regard as reasonable and upright people. And forgive me for maybe being intolerant, but I can't bring myself to respect people who wish this much misery upon women.

Andy Rooney from 60 Minutes once put it well; he said he was opposed to abortion per se, but really hated being grouped with the anti-abortionists, considering what kind of people these groups mostly consist of. I disagree with him of course, but I like what he's saying.
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 12:06

Then why even get involved in emotional partnerships? If you still say the goal is to eventually end up in an emotional partnership, then how can you respect the person who your having sex with when your "in between" relationships. Having no respect for someone else makes you an asshole, having no respect for yourself and expressing that idea makes you a whore.

Oh and just to let you know the most emotional partnership in my life began with a casual physical experience, that doesn't mean I wasn't an asshole and she wasn't a whore.

I didnt say  (or didn't mean) the end goal was anything other than having a nice experience. I repeat that whores do not have casual sex they have sex  for a living therefore someone partaking in casual sex would be the opposite of whore....sort of..lol

Why does casual sex mean no respect for the person or yourself? It does not necessarily follow on. Therefore saying having casual sex makes you a whore or an asshole is rather one sided view. Casual sex can be something that is respectful and fun for both involved, I think society has demonised the physcal act of sex too much. I know I respect people who I have casually met and had fun with and hold them in fond regard.Smile

Two differing experience making love and casual sex.

Abortion after rape is one reason I support the case of pro choice.

Edited by New User - 07-May-2007 at 12:12
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 12:19

Casual sex can be something that is respectful and fun for both involved

How can you think so lowly of sex, sex is something that should be meaningful. It shouldn't be relegated to just another recreational activity. I think that's where our disagreement is. I think you believe that sex is just something fun to do with another person, whereas I attach more personal meaning to the act. That's fine, we're just operating under different morals.

Abortion after rape is one reason I support the case of pro choice.

And a lack of solid psychiatric care is one of the reason why I see it as a haphazard solution at best. I doubt this is seen as "necessary" in nations such as the United States and Britain (possibly Sweden though).

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 13:57
Originally posted by JanusRook

I think you believe that sex is just something fun to do with another person, whereas I attach more personal meaning to the act. That's fine, we're just operating under different morals.

It almost sounds as if you're assuming some sort of moral superiority here, but I must be mistaken.

And a lack of solid psychiatric care is one of the reason why I see it as a haphazard solution at best. I doubt this is seen as "necessary" in nations such as the United States and Britain (possibly Sweden though).

There are hardly any ideal solutions to a rape in any case. Let's leave it up to the victims to decide what is the best course of action for them shall we, and not force our own views, whatever they may be, onto them.

I don't know anyone who's had an abortion and not been offered psychiatric care both before, after and during the procedure. I can't speak for the US or Britain though (I live in Norway).
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 01:03

It almost sounds as if you're assuming some sort of moral superiority here, but I must be mistaken.

No when I specifically refer to myself in the first person, I do it to express my own personal opinions and don't try to put it in place as fact. I believe that if something is superior it should be a fact, like an elephant has superior strength to a slug. Otherwise it's just different.

Let's leave it up to the victims to decide what is the best course of action for them shall we, and not force our own views, whatever they may be, onto them.

And if their decision is that they want to kill themselves they should be allowed to do so, even if they weren't in the right state of mind. Or do you believe all depressed people should be allowed to kill themselves? (And I'm not suggesting all women become depressed after an abortion, I'm just saying some do.)

I don't know anyone who's had an abortion and not been offered psychiatric care both before, after and during the procedure. I can't speak for the US or Britain though (I live in Norway).

Well that's just the Scandanavian social system for you.

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 13:24

And if their decision is that they want to kill themselves they should be allowed to do so, even if they weren't in the right state of mind. Or do you believe all depressed people should be allowed to kill themselves? (And I'm not suggesting all women become depressed after an abortion, I'm just saying some do.)

As you can't punish anyone for killing themselves I see neither the point nor any intelligent reasoning behind this post.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 16:50

As you can't punish anyone for killing themselves I see neither the point nor any intelligent reasoning behind this post.

It's not for punishment, it's the fact that suicide is unnatural (all living things have the instinct to live). That being said, people who are insane can't make proper decisions, and depression to the point of suicide is a type of insanity. That being said do you believe insane people (depressed) can make proper decisions based on whether they want to live or not.

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 16:40
You should make a seperate thread for that as most women who have abortions hardly qualify as insane afterwards, so it doesn't really relate to the topic.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 02:52
You should make a seperate thread for that as most women who have abortions hardly qualify as insane afterwards, so it doesn't really relate to the topic.

And if your going to just avoid the question, whatever, severe depression is a type of insanity, because it is not how one would normally function.

It has been shown that some (NOT ALL) women become severely depressed after abortions, these are usually religious women who have made a choice in a no-win situation, and sometimes (NOT ALL THE TIME) these women become suicidal because of severe depression brought about by the termination of their pregnancy.

Which is why I asked whether people suffering from severe depression should be allowed to kill themselves, since I believe severe depression to be a type of insanity that needs to be treated. And if abortion causes severe depression that leads to damaging the health of the mother, by suicide or attempting suicide, then what's the point in the arguement that the health of the mother is important in making the decision?

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 13:59
The experience of a woman after an abortion should not be trivialized. Most women dont want to have an abortion, and most probably feel sorrow and regret. However, the statistics overwhelmingly refute claims that these women go on to suffer severe trauma. The predominant response to abortion is RELIEF and that is confirmed by dozens of studies which have researched womens reactions to abortions. (Adler, 1975; Burnell, Dworsky & Harrington, 1972; Lazarus, 1985; Payne, Kravitz, Notman & Anderson, 1976; and Smith, 1973.

Both men and women suffer severe depression for many varying reasons - not primarily abortion. Loss of a family member, financial matters, loss of employment, bankruptcy, mental illness are just some of the reasons why people suffer depression. There are anti-depressant medications available to ease the stress, as well as therapy and rehab services available.

Again, I reiterate, legal and medically safe abortions should be afforded to ALL WOMEN who choose to have one. Women must always have that choice!
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2007 at 08:55

And if your going to just avoid the question, whatever, severe depression is a type of insanity, because it is not how one would normally function.

It has been shown that some (NOT ALL) women become severely depressed after abortions, these are usually religious women who have made a choice in a no-win situation, and sometimes (NOT ALL THE TIME) these women become suicidal because of severe depression brought about by the termination of their pregnancy.

Which is why I asked whether people suffering from severe depression should be allowed to kill themselves, since I believe severe depression to be a type of insanity that needs to be treated. And if abortion causes severe depression that leads to damaging the health of the mother, by suicide or attempting suicide, then what's the point in the arguement that the health of the mother is important in making the decision?

Man, you're just raving. I haven't heard such weak reasoning in a long time; "abortion should be illegalized because a few religious women who have practically been forced into abortion have committed suicide due to depression". And then you go on to say that because of these incidents, arguments based on the health of the mother are invalid on a general basis? I won't even mention that you once again brought up the utterly inane question of whether or not people should be allowed to kill themselves! Oh wait, I just did.

I'm fairly certain I'm coming across as a rude prick right now, but it can hardly be helped if you want me to take this chain of logic, or should we say absence of it, seriously.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567