Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pro- Choice or Pro-Life?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pro- Choice or Pro-Life?
    Posted: 03-May-2007 at 11:05
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Well, as a woman, I do believe I am the boss of my own body. And I do not want children. For a variety of reasons, one of them being that I consider myself totally incapable of raising a kid. In a time where people are massively complaining about parents not raising their kids properly and any idiot just popping them out, I consider myself wise in this.

Now, obviously, I will do whatever I can to prevent becoming pregnant (this does include getting some cooperation from male counterparts), but if I would ever find myself preganant anyway (condoms fail about 1 in a 1000, the pill fails to work about 1 in 100), I will probably have an abortion. Because me having a child is just going to ruin two lives.

Although, Janus, I do believe men are allowed to have a say in the matter, I also believe it is ultimetely the woman who has to decide. Because, no matter what, she is going to be the one responsible for it, a responsibility I personally could never handle.

I agree with you that woman is the owner of her body... but a fetus is not part of a woman body. Is another human being. That's the point.

It is a pitty you consider kids a load instead of a gifts. And it is too bad you consider a child a business of a woman and not the common responsability of a couple.

With respect to abortion, there so much tech today to prevent pregnacy that resort to it seems irresponsable to me.

Pinguin

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 11:06

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 11:28
wow! you clearly proved your point....

Both control groups had the same breakdown of behaviour:

Firstly, the survey does not support any of the conclusions they make or the comments you make.

The Survey clearly concludes or attempts to conclude that Kids that are taught about abstinence have just as much sex and are just as likely not to use contraception.

yet the 'commentators say'

\

In the Mathematica survey, which was released by sex education activists after the health department sat on it, the mean age at which the control group, that had been taught about contraception, lost their virginity was 14.9 years. That seems strikingly low, until you look at the mean age of first sexual experience for the abstinence control group - 14.9 years.

In the context of findings like this, health workers and statisticians conclude that it is far better that children have safe sex, with knowledge of and access to contraception, than that they are preached a message of abstinence only to ignore it.

This is two things i disagree with, it alters the picture by expressing two different answers.

1) The non-absitence kids had an average virginity loss age of 14.9 but the abstinence kids had an average age of FIRST SEXUAL EXPERIENCE at 14.9. That sort of reporting really gets my heals up.

2) The Conclusions based on the data presented are ridiculous. They conclude based on the information that both groups are more or less the same, that teaching kids ONLY ABOUT CONTRACEPTION is better. That doesn't make sense, and it ignores the statistics.

There are two other simple problems here.

A survey of more than 2,000 teenagers carried out by a research company on behalf of Congress found that the half of the sample given abstinence-only education displayed exactly the same predilection for sex as those who had received conventional sex education in which contraception was discussed.

I know of more than one teenager who "had sex at 16", but didn't actually lose his virginity until he was 23.

This is a survey of 2000 people , a very small sample and it does not explain how that sample was taken. It does not even express what sort of questions were asked.

This also does not in anyway express that kids that are swear to abstain from sexual activity are less receptive to Sexual education. It actually shows that ALL KIDS ARE OF A SIMILAR RECEPTIVITY TO SEXUAL EDUCATION. Clearly.

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 11:35
So glad you simply deny the evidnece in front of you. Means I won.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 11:41

And yet, that does not change the fact that Irish girls simply go abroad for their abortions, and that the abortion ban is only valid for the poor.

It is invalid for the section of the population most likely to have abortions. Strange that.

I think you will find the amount of abortions taken abroad in Ireland is extremely low.

We so do not need more people on this planet. If the current growth in population keeps coninuing, the earth will not be able to sustain us in the future.

Thats not true.

Already the western world has reached a level of living that presses so heavily on the environment that, if a larger portion of the world population would try and reach it, millions would have to die for it.

Again this is not so. Its to do with utilisation, in the modern world we utilise less.

I live in an overpopulated country, do not give me any 'we go extinct' crap. If there is not enough of 'us', there is plenty of people elsewhere to take our place.

Indeed you do, but then your nation is shrinking based on land size, and the country is too small to support itself independently. This is unlike most other nations worldwide.

Adoption is not a substitute. Recently the new christian government here did a research on promoting adoption above abortion. The results of this research on emotional problems whas so shocking they decided to change their policy. Adoption is emotionally very bad, both for mother and child.

Abortion is worse for mother and child though. At least someone can benefit from adoption.

All of that is completely irrelevant to the question of abortion. In no country, in no situation, in no case ever, is abortion used as a means of population control. It is a personal something, that has nothing to do with the world at large. To tell a girl in a problematic situation that she should have the child because 'people' think we go extinct is ridiculous.

Banning abortion has been used as a means of population control.

Thats based on perspective. In nations like Britain, more kids would be better than less kids. Having an individualist view of everything is really a bad attitude for societies. No Man is an Island heh.

I am sure your mother made the right choice for her and you. That does not make the same choice the right one for others. Shocking that you cannot think outside of your own box.

I can think outside of my box. My box is that abortion should be legalised. Not once have I said that abortion should be illegal, yet you have jumped on this issue. My whole point is merely that ABORTION SHOULD BE DISCOURAGED AT ALL COSTS and that SEX SHOULD BE DISCOURAGED OUTSIDE OF STRONG RELATIONSHIPS, yet that seems to be a bad attitude in your overtly individualistic, liberal ideal. Surely something that BENEFITS society would be a good thing.

One of the girls in question has borderline, no steady job, no steady living space and the father was no where in sight. Moreover, she had no emotional connection at all to her pregnancy, and did not feel like she ever was going to. Nice prospects for a baby, yes? She did the right thing, and prevented a lot of misery.

And how will she ever know? She really can't. The fact is, she should never have given her vagina out so willingly, then there would be a father in sight. Which would mean at least income from the paternal father.

Ok, this case of no steady lifestyle is a problem. But its about being social, she should have had the support required to have a baby. Including Extra money for housing, benefits for the child and of course and part time job of somesort.

And, if life has its own way, then why are people who are against abortion so often in favor of the death penalty and IVF? Perhaps, if you cannot have kids, it is a sign of nature too? BS, right? So then.

Yes, but there is no need to take this out on me. Having been part of Amnesty International for over 7years i think the death penalty is quite high on my agenda. My point about life has its own way, is merely to express the unpredictability of life. Which leads to two answers - prepare for the future and live, at least partially for the future. If people thought of that before they allowed men to use them, then they wouldn't get pregnant in the first place?

I've got a news article for you, in Dutch.

A research was held in four US states, by order of the US Congress. The results show that children that swore to remain chaste have sex for the first time at the same age as kids that did not swear it: at 14.9, which is shockingly young. Only about 17% used a condom. That is what you get when you propagate abstinence.
I'll try and find an English one.

Discussed below.
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 11:42

Deny the evidence?

What does this evidence show? It merely shows that a certain percentage of teenagers MIGHT be having sex and a Percentage of those MIGHT be having sex without protection - But that it doesn't matter whether you have been educated with abstinence or educated with contraception.

That is what the evidence here shows, nothing more.

Any the point is, you inferred that this was my argument, when that was not what i stated. What I stated was that KIDS SHOULD NOT HAVE SEX BEFORE MARRIAGE. I was not introducting any form of answer to certain nations issues on sex. I mean, that IS the answer - but i don't know how to stop kids having sex, nor even presumed that there is a way of doing it. My point is merely that it is an effective method of stopping abortion.

Anyhow, Contraception is the best method. OR! Children! No Sex before marriage? That works very well - an exeptional method of contraception! You don't need abortions if you abstain from sexual activity.

Here, read what i said again, without READING INTO IT.

Edited by Ovidius - 03-May-2007 at 11:45
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 13:47
Originally posted by JanusRook

Morticia do you believe that men should be involved in a women's pregnancy or that they should be excluded from it on the basis that a woman's body is her own?

A womans egg needs to be fertilized by a male sperm in order to become a fetus. Therefore, I believe that both the female and the male should have a say as to the outcome of said fetus (which was created by both parties). I firmly believe that a man has just as much right to that fetus and should be held responsible for its upbringing, nurturing, education, and support upon its birth. Because I feel that a man has a right to the fetus, I dont believe that a woman should just take it upon herself to have a termination simply because she wants one - that would not be fair to the fetus, or her male counterpart, IMO. However, I feel that if the male is honest and determines that he is unable to support said child and agrees to a termination and/or does not want to contribute to its upbringing, and/or the male either just simply rapes the female and/or disappears once he finds out the woman is impregnated, then the woman ( if she chooses) should have all legal rights to exercise her legal option to a termination in a medically safe manner and/or for adoption if she does not feel adequately capable to sustain said responsibilities on her own.   If the woman wishes a termination and the man does not, then he has legal avenues/options he can pursue. There are many circumstances in life which occur to each individual, but, just because someone doesnt think a termination of pregnancy is right (either morally or religiously), it should not impede all women from their individual right to choose for their own situation and future. If men were able to conceive, Im sure they would fight for their right to choose medically safe alternatives for termination, and they would certainly not want to be condemned or denied any rights which they may be entitled to simply because some others find their alternatives unnatural or immoral. What really bothers me is when I hear people accusing women(and doctors) of being "baby killers" (and other such name calling)or condeming and judging women, when they are not even involved in an actual termination themselves. Women have fought so hard over the years to gain rights which were solely exercised by men and termination of pregnancy is one which we cannot ever lose. As long as I am alive and breathing, and even though Ive never had a termination, I will always fight for womens rights to have a legal and medically safe termination. Denying women this right would put all women in harm's way and all rights issues would go backwards instead of forwards.

"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 15:11
@ Ovidus
The problem here is that yoou're having a moral position instead of a political one. The question one must ask is not what would be perfect? but what is the best we can achieve? Here is an example:

You're preaching abstinence before wedding. Imagine the government out of the blue declares any sexual relation banned before wedding. Jails will be crowded, rape rate will skyrocket and illegal abortions will rise. Hence: not an option (I know you knew it already but it is for the sake of the argument).

At another point you're taking the English example. What do we have in England? Free abortion but the highest teenage pregnancy rate in Europe Why? Because the government helps financially young mothers. I don't know if you've read the book Freakonomics but there it is said that the drop of the criminality in the US in the late 1990s was directly corrolated with the legalization of abortion. The morale here is that people take the good decision for themselves when the government is not involved in it.

When it comes to teenage birth rate in Europe #1 is the UK (30) #3 is Portugal (21) #4 Ireland #5 Poland (both 19). These countries are creating themselves crime bombes for 2020. Do not mess with demography: free choice!

So we here face a problem: banning abortion is just not an option but making it 100% free comes with problems of its own. When I say 100% free I mean that in most contries you actually don't have to pay to have an abortion.

In countries with strong familly planning policies the abortion rate for teenager is just scary: #3 Sweden 17, #4 Danemark 15, #5 France 13. Abortion must remain a last resort: people have to pay for it! You could potentially die of a infected tooth but to have it removed you have to pay, right? Why abortion any different?

People need to remain responsible for their lives. It is interesting to realise that in places where the rate of married teen mother is superior to 1/3 the rate of teen pregnancy (birth + abortion) is always infirior to 20.

Here we come back to your point about comitment and wedding. In my opinion we need to make the female responsi ble for her own body (no governmental special aid for teenage mother, pricy abortion) and make the male responsible (with DNA test force the father to help financially the mother).

Sex is fun but not only
I am a free donkey!
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 17:15
Yes, nice one Maharabal, try reading what i say before you reply. You have totally mistranslated what i said.

1) I am pro abortion (as a SOCIAL POLICY)
2) I never said abortion should be banned, or that it was a good idea to ban abortion. I actually gave examples to express why it WASN'T a good idea
3) I never said that alternatives should be FORCED, simply that they should be encouraged
4) I never said to preach abtinence, I actually said that it was an effective method of not having a baby before you are in a stable relationship. Which in my eyes is whats known as a FACT. I didn't say that it should be preached or forced upon people, it was merely an expression at people saying that mistakes can happen.
5) I do no believe that ANY GOVERNMENT has the right or the power to impose itself upon the PERSONAL lives of its people. I do not believe that the Government should have any place here - I'd be more willing to aim this sort of thing at PARENTS.

Now here is my post again, for those finding it difficult to read. Try to understand what i am saying, without reading between the lines or perceiving that I have a certain attitude.

Originally posted by Ovidius

I am against abortion for moral reasons and against banning abortion for moral reasons. I believe the benefits of legalised abortion, outweigh the moral reasons against abortion.

As I see it, in nations like Romania where abortion has been banned and the original reason for legalised aboritons in the first place, is that illegal abortions will always take place. I think the only nations where a ban on abortion work is Ireland and Andorra - both fairly religious nations, with a high standard of living and small population. In a place like Britain where poverty is rife, you can hardly expect a ban on abortion to work. Same with the US, until society is changed and made more equal, there is no way such a ban could work. So personally, i couldn't care less about any such questions of banning it, it wont work until societies change for the better.

I think that everyone, though, should be discouraged from abortions. I think they are horrific and, whatever you say, I think an abortion is more likely to ruin a life, than a child. Even if you accidently become pregnant, there is support in nearly everyones life for a child. No one is a incapable of being a parent, not really.

Anyhow, Contraception is the best method. OR! Children! No Sex before marriage? That works very well - an exeptional method of contraception! You don't need abortions if you abstain from sexual activity.

As I CLEARLY STATE, I am PERSONALLY against Abortion, BUT believe that Legalised abortion is morally superior to the effects of Banning abortion. That is exactly what I said in this post and gave a pretty good example of where Abortions had been banned.

It is actually Aelfgifu who misintepreted my original posts, jumping on the idea of abstinence. Which was actually only semi-serious. But the fact still stands - YOU CANNOT HAVE CHILDREN IF YOU DON'T HAVE SEX!!!! PLEASE SOMEONE BACK THIS STATEMENT UP!!! DO WE NEED A LESSON ABOUT THE BIRDS AND THE BEES!!! PLEASE!!

Free abortion but the highest teenage pregnancy rate in Europe

The UK does NOT have free abortions. That is actually a misintepretation of the situation of Abortions in the NHS. In most cases it is not Free to have an abortion under the NHS.

The High Teenage pregnancy rate is NOT, as you seem to suggest, due to the way in which mothers are taking advantage of the system. This simply is not true in the majority of cases.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 22:14
Yes, nice one Maharabal, try reading what i say before you reply. You have totally mistranslated what i said.
Being an idiot's strawman is everybody's fate.

What is a "social policy"? How do you enforce it?

2) I never said abortion should be banned, or that it was a good idea to ban abortion. I actually gave examples to express why it WASN'T a good idea
Embarrassed

3) I never said that alternatives should be FORCED, simply that they should be encouraged
How? I've said myself abortion should be expensive.

YOU CANNOT HAVE CHILDREN IF YOU DON'T HAVE SEX!!!!
My wife tells me the contrary, she swears she was faithful eventhough our baby's born four month after my 6 month tour in Siberia

The UK does NOT have free abortions. That is actually a misintepretation of the situation of Abortions in the NHS. In most cases it is not Free to have an abortion under the NHS.
Yet: "To get an abortion on the NHS, you will need to be referred by a doctor to your local hospital or clinic. Your own GP, or a doctor at a local family planning clinic, or at Brook (if you are under 25) can do this. It is important to go along as soon as possible. If you want to pay to have an abortion privately, you can refer yourself to the British Pregnancy Advisory Service (BPAS) or to Marie Stopes." It does sound free to me.

The High Teenage pregnancy rate is NOT, as you seem to suggest, due to the way in which mothers are taking advantage of the system. This simply is not true in the majority of cases.
Then why? and why the surge since 1998?

I am a free donkey!
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 04:09
Ovidius. You first state you are not agains abortion, and then you write a whole list of posts with arguments against abortion, and you blame me for it? Tsktsk. Bad style.

Now, I am not interested in continuing a discussion with one so unsure about what he wants, but I'd like to point out two things: It is not wise to call a research bad based on no more than a newspaper article. The research was good enough to scare the US congress, dismissing it offhand like that is silly.

Second, this.
One of the girls in question has borderline, no steady job, no steady living space and the father was no where in sight. Moreover, she had no emotional connection at all to her pregnancy, and did not feel like she ever was going to. Nice prospects for a baby, yes? She did the right thing, and prevented a lot of misery.

And how will she ever know? She really can't. The fact is, she should never have given her vagina out so willingly, then there would be a father in sight. Which would mean at least income from the paternal father.

Ok, this case of no steady lifestyle is a problem. But its about being social, she should have had the support required to have a baby. Including Extra money for housing, benefits for the child and of course and part time job of somesort.

Do you even know what borderline is? Clearly not. Perhaps you should look it up before judging.
she should never have given her vagina out so willingly
This is the singlemost disgustingly sexist remark I have seen in a long time. You arrogant a-hole. How about being a bit less judgemental about things you know nothing about?

Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 08:38
Originally posted by Maharbbal

What is a "social policy"? How do you enforce it?

As a policy in society, I agree with it being legalised, but personally disagree with people getting abortions - in most cases. Obviously there are alternatives - Parents health, Rape cases etc - I think these are much more open to discussion. But an abortion for material reasons is merely the ultimate outrage to 20th/21st century life.

How? I've said myself abortion should be expensive.

I've no idea, expensive abortions may just lead to similar problems though. Where poorer families/poorer areas are force to set up  abortion clinics that are illegal, or there are self-mutilation for abortions or suicide in some cases. Not to mention that people might actually place themselves in debt to pay for treatment.

My wife tells me the contrary, she swears she was faithful eventhough our baby's born four month after my 6 month tour in Siberia

Well! heh.

Yet: "To get an abortion on the NHS, you will need to be referred by a doctor to your local hospital or clinic. Your own GP, or a doctor at a local family planning clinic, or at Brook (if you are under 25) can do this. It is important to go along as soon as possible. If you want to pay to have an abortion privately, you can refer yourself to the British Pregnancy Advisory Service (BPAS) or to Marie Stopes." It does sound free to me.

Nope, Its free if there are reasons for it to be free. After that, it depends on where you are for it to be free.

Then why? and why the surge since 1998?

I'm not sure exactly why - but think of it like this - the child support was actually simpler pre-1998, then it was with the Child credit system that was introduced.

The Surge since 1998 and particularly since 2000 or so, I believe is to do with kid culture, which is changing dramatically. Kids are more independent from their parents, are less controlled by their parents and are increasingly more liberal with their lives. Drinking amongst kids is rife, having nothing to do is a problem - this sort of thing.

Ovidius. You first state you are not agains abortion, and then you write a whole list of posts with arguments against abortion, and you blame me for it? Tsktsk. Bad style.

No, I did not write a load of posts supporting abortions. I just said other ways were far better than abortions - simply because abortions are horrific and certainly not a healty way to lead life.

Now, I am not interested in continuing a discussion with one so unsure about what he wants, but I'd like to point out two things: It is not wise to call a research bad based on no more than a newspaper article. The research was good enough to scare the US congress, dismissing it offhand like that is silly.

Fine, don't.

You are right, i should read the research. However, the conclusions of the research are ridiculous. There is absolutely no reason why abstinence from Sex should not be encouraged. Obviously, there always has to be the Sex Education Shock therapy - Condoms, Sexually transmitted diseases and teenage pregnancy, but the article and the statistics they present from the research show that mutually exclusive forms of education present the same results. Which is fine.

Congress is scared because its a change in congress, i doubt that republican senators are running round now going "oh dear, those poor children that didn't abstain from sex", sure...

Do you even know what borderline is? Clearly not. Perhaps you should look it up before judging.
she should never have given her vagina out so willingly
This is the singlemost disgustingly sexist remark I have seen in a long time. You arrogant a-hole. How about being a bit less judgemental about things you know nothing about?

apologies, I thought you said a Borderline case, not that she was suffering from Borderline. I don't think that it specifically means you shouldnt have children and is certainly treatable. Though, I agree it is does offer a bigger stepping stone for a potential mother.

Oh, its Sexist? - Just because i don't mention the man in equally in this statement, it makes me Sexist. Wow, how far Feminism has come. The fact is, if she hadn't had Sex, this wouldn't have been a problem. No, ok with this case, there is judgemental issues, but deciding to have sex is the first question one should ask themselves.

Having sex outside of strong relationships is a bad idea, Now marriage is probably a bit extreme, but just because people don't believe in marriage doesn not mean they should have sex with people willingly. Now this is a discussion Forum, I'm being judgemental based on what you presented - otherwise there wouldn't be a discussion.

Anyhow, as I see it. If you are not in a position to have children, Don't have sex. If abortion is your only answer if you were to get pregnant, just don't do it.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 09:26
My word. I had no idea the sexual revolution could be so completely lost on anyone. I swear you are a bigger prude than my late granny. Where on earth did you get the idea sex is bad and scary?

Perhaps this will cheer you up:

SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 10:29
Sex is a very good impetus for the strengthening of the immune system. It has been tentatively proved that those people, who have sex on a regular basis, are much more protected against various viral diseases than those, who prefer abstinence: healthy sex saturates blood with antibodies. Therefore, sexually active men and women suffer from widespread infectious diseases such a flu and cold less frequently. As for sexually transmitted diseases, the answer is obvious: a condom makes perfect.
Who needs a vaccine for Bird Flu when you can have sex! The choice between needles or a roll around in the sheets, hard choice...LOL
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 11:38
Nobody has brought up the idea of same sex fun to stop any unwanted babies or abortions?

To say we should give up sex is just plain nonsense (and fairly boring) I reckon just play with another women if one doesnt wanna get pregnant.

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 14:59
Originally posted by New User

Nobody has brought up the idea of same sex fun to stop any unwanted babies or abortions?

To say we should give up sex is just plain nonsense (and fairly boring) I reckon just play with another women if one doesnt wanna get pregnant.

That may well be an option for some, New User. But, just like that could be an option to avoid pregnancy, abortion should be an option for women who wish to terminate same.
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 18:05

My word. I had no idea the sexual revolution could be so completely lost on anyone. I swear you are a bigger prude than my late granny. Where on earth did you get the idea sex is bad and scary?

Perhaps this will cheer you up:

No, it is not completely lost on me.

I probably have more regular sex than you and most members of this forum, and only with an exceptionally beautiful woman.

I never said people shouldn't have sex, i just think that the completely lax attitude people have to sex at the moment is taking any sexual revolution way too far. One night stands are a massive thing. I think the onslaught of Feminism appears only to have taught the world one thing - that being a slut is ok, in a similar way to being a slut is acceptable to men. Control over sexuality in women has taken a bad turn, not a good one.

So no, I'm not a prude when it comes to sex. I don't for one minute think that people shouldn't have sex. Just that they should be responsible with their bodies. Which really should mean, don't have sex outside of a relationship. Sex is about trust, its about extending love, its not about some 'nice' feeling.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 23:45

This is a survey of 2000 people , a very small sample and it does not explain how that sample was taken. It does not even express what sort of questions were asked.

If you contacted the authors of the survey instead of the article reporting the results you could get the exact method they used. I would go with random selection similar to a gallup poll.

I agree with Aelfgifu, abstinence only programs have been shown to be utterly ineffective. Hell, even when I was going to a christian private school they taught us about the methods of contraception and explained them to us.

Adoption is not a substitute. Recently the new christian government here did a research on promoting adoption above abortion. The results of this research on emotional problems whas so shocking they decided to change their policy. Adoption is emotionally very bad, both for mother and child.

Adoption doesn't work because there is too much government interference in it. I don't agree that it is easier (and cheaper) to kill a child then it is to adopt one. Adoption should require one psychological evaluation on the parents, one interview of the parents by a social worker, and an appearance before a civil official where the parents become the child's legal guardians. We don't have to jump through hoops to become natural parents so why do we have to to give children a better life.

Also I will agree it is infeasible to have adoption replace abortion, just by the sheer numbers of abortions performed every year.

In no country, in no situation, in no case ever, is abortion used as a means of population control.

*cough* China *cough*

My whole point is merely that ABORTION SHOULD BE DISCOURAGED AT ALL COSTS and that SEX SHOULD BE DISCOURAGED OUTSIDE OF STRONG RELATIONSHIPS

I agree with this. Casual sex is something only whores and assholes participate in.

The fact is, she should never have given her vagina out so willingly, then there would be a father in sight.

Uh, how about if the man wasn't so willing to spread her legs. It's not the woman's fault that men don't show better judgement, and it's not either of their fault that pregnancy occurs. When accidents happen it's up for the individuals involved to come to a decision on what to do based on their own individual ethical, moral and logical codes. I couldn't tell an atheist that abortion is morally wrong because an atheist has different beliefs than I do. As long as they obey the laws of the land I cannot take the law into my own hands because of their beliefs.

If people thought of that before they allowed men to use them, then they wouldn't get pregnant in the first place?

Women don't "allow men to use them". Women enjoy the company of men and then that can lead to intimate situations. Pregnancy is usually the farthest thing from their minds at the time, because they are living in the moment. People can make mistakes, and not just women. The sexual revolution has finally come to an end. Women are egalitarian in our society now. Contrary to popular belief women don't sit around waiting to have sex with men (unless they are in red-lit buildings....)

But that it doesn't matter whether you have been educated with abstinence or educated with contraception.

Yes but I'm sure the pregnancy rate for those that practiced contraception are much lower. Thus eliminating the need to destroy a human life.

If the woman wishes a termination and the man does not, then he has legal avenues/options he can pursue.

Morticia, I would like to know what legal avenues a man can take. As far as I'm aware a man has no rights regarding a woman's pregnancy in the United States because of the unconstitutional Roe vs. Wade verdict.

Personally I'd change the laws to allow a man to "buy-out" a woman's pregnancy for a set fee, let's say $10,000 dollars. To allow her child to come to term (in case of miscarriage only pay for the months she was pregnant). And in doing so have the woman forfeit all rights (like visitation) to the child. Because I know I wouldn't want someone killing my child.

You are right, i should read the research. However, the conclusions of the research are ridiculous.

Oh come on now that's bad form, saying something is ridiculous when you have no knowledge of it.

There is absolutely no reason why abstinence from Sex should not be encouraged.

Bingo! Here is where I think the miscommunication between both parties is. I think everyone can agree on this statement:

Sexual education should discuss the most current and successful methods of birth control, as well as discussing the options one has if they become pregnant, however abstinence should be the most encouraged method of contraception, but should not be the only method taught.

I reckon just play with another women if one doesnt wanna get pregnant.

But then I'd get two girls pregnant instead of one...............Hug

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 16:55
Originally posted by JanusRook

I agree with Aelfgifu, abstinence only programs have been shown to be utterly ineffective. Hell, even when I was going to a christian private school they taught us about the methods of contraception and explained them to us.

I do not deny that Abstinence programmes in the US are ineffective. Nor did I once mention that there should be abstinence programmes.

What I said was that Abstinence was a way of stopping kids from having Babies. But, because this "research" was brought up, I decided to discuss it regardless. Now I still think the conclusions that are presented within the article have no connection to the results presented in the article.

Also, my main arguments aainst what Aelfgifu said was that kids who vow to abstain from sex until they are in a relationship/married are somehow less suceptable to education about contraception. As you say, you went to a Christian Private School and clearly STILL managed to learn the ins and outs of sex. My point was merely that kids that chose to abstain aren't somehow automatically ignorant of sexual education or somehow magically not educated in sex/contraception. Infact, the opposite is true.

The article about the research neither confirmed or denied that point. It merely appeared to prove that abstinence, as the MAIN teaching method, was inneffective at REDUCING the numbers of kids having sex or having safe sex.

Uh, how about if the man wasn't so willing to spread her legs. It's not the woman's fault that men don't show better judgement, and it's not either of their fault that pregnancy occurs. When accidents happen it's up for the individuals involved to come to a decision on what to do based on their own individual ethical, moral and logical codes. I couldn't tell an atheist that abortion is morally wrong because an atheist has different beliefs than I do. As long as they obey the laws of the land I cannot take the law into my own hands because of their beliefs.

this is what i disagree with. Just because I mention the role of a women in a process, somehow means I ignore the mens role. If women want to believe they are empowered as a Sex, as Feminists would argue, then that means the OPPOSITE to this - they have the power to DENY men.

If you base everything on personalisation of morality, then you call to question the whole basis of Law and order. If anarchy/nudity/muder/canabalism or some other social nasty is part of a persons personal moral code, then how is that acceptable. I personally reject these ideas of individualism, in favour of social values - which should be enforced within a community. Therefore an atheist should conform to social values, at the least.

Oh come on now that's bad form, saying something is ridiculous when you have no knowledge of it.

Nor does aelgifu, yet she made even more extreme conclusions based on the research. I merely denied the power of the conclusions that were made.

[/QUOTE]

Bingo! Here is where I think the miscommunication between both parties is. I think everyone can agree on this statement:

Sexual education should discuss the most current and successful methods of birth control, as well as discussing the options one has if they become pregnant, however abstinence should be the most encouraged method of contraception, but should not be the only method taught.[/quote]

indeed. Its about encouraging self-respect as well. Making kids understand that being a slut is wrong and not accepted within the mainstream.

SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 21:20
Casual sex is something only whores and assholes participate in.
Well that hurt. But it wouldn't be the first time I was called a a-hole!LOL
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>