Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pro- Choice or Pro-Life?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pro- Choice or Pro-Life?
    Posted: 30-Apr-2007 at 21:20
I don't agree. A retarded person or a person that has lost concience during years is as human as a person that is full functional; it is possible that your kitty is more intelligent that both, but you cat is a cat, unlike those that are human beings. I don't see why fetous could be classify as non-human at all. Except that way is easy to get rid of them.

Human life starts at the conception, not before, so the idea that using condom is genocide is nonsense.

Yes, people can continue with theirs abortion business as usual, but it is only fair they know what they are doing.

Pinguin

SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 15:51
To me life is life, no matter what it is. The only thing that makes something higher then other life forms is if your able to kill them. So humans aren't exactly mystical beings to me. If the law allows it, then choice should be given. If it disgusts me enough, then I'll move.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 16:22
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

Does using a condom during sex count as genocide?

Well, this thread has taken an interesting turn! Then, does a woman's monthly menstruation count as genocide as well, for not allowing fertilization of her monthly egg/possible human?    
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 16:26
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

Does using a condom during sex count as genocide?

Very interesting thought. I would say no in terms of the strict definition of genocide, but 'murder' possibly. Although, because fertilisation has not yet occurred, and no zygote (what some may regard as the first stage as a 'real human') has been formed, I do not believe you can call using a condom 'genocide' or even 'murder'. I am open for opinions.

- Knights -

Edited by Knights - 01-May-2007 at 16:27
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 17:06
That's a fallacy.

Human life start at conception. Both sperms and eggs does not even have a complete chromosomic set.
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 17:12
Well, this thread has taken an interesting turn! Then, does a woman's monthly menstruation count as genocide as well, for not allowing fertilization of her monthly egg/possible human?

LOL touche
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 23:44
Very interesting thought. I would say no in terms of the strict definition of genocide, but 'murder' possibly. Although, because fertilisation has not yet occurred, and no zygote (what some may regard as the first stage as a 'real human') has been formed, I do not believe you can call using a condom 'genocide' or even 'murder'. I am open for opinions.
To be honest this isn't a arguement I heard for support of abortion. But I heard some Catholics refuse to use contraceptives because it kills potential human beings.
So everyone has there own definition and because of that, I believe it should be left up to the person. I know it's something I'd never have a g/f consider.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 03:12
Originally posted by pinguin

That's a fallacy.

Human life start at conception. Both sperms and eggs does not even have a complete chromosomic set.

Pinguin, are you aiming your "that's a fallacy" at my comment/opinion, or at the original question stated (is using a condom considered murder)?
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 10:26
Wow, I can't believe I didn't see this thread before, I guess I should get in touch with my feminine side more often.LOL

I've decided I'll retroactively join this conversation...by going to the beginning, and answering morticia's questions.

Does a fetus have a right to be inside a woman who chooses to have sex with a man and becomes pregnant?

I think it's similar to does a baby have the right to live in the country of it's birth?

Does a fetus have a right to be inside a woman who has been raped by a man and becomes pregnant?

See above.

Unlike a fetus, a newborn child is a separate physical entity who would, as an actual human being, have rights, but does a fetus have any rights?

A fetus has the right to the respect, honor and dignity of life.

Do parents own their children as they would own a house?

No they own their children as the government owns military personell.

------------------------------------
And now in response to everyone else.

In a world when 7 people die every second from a poverty related issues, such as disease, starvation, unclean water. It takes a seriously delusional kind of freak to get so upset over abortion.

One could argue that abortion is a poverty related issue.

However, it has been my experience that most "pro-life" people are white, mostly religious and racist. The way I see it, their premise does not lie in the inhumanity of destroying a fetus, but in increasing the number of whites...I really have not seen a case where pro-life people being obsessed with fetuses of black women.

Wow..........really your turning abortion into racism....I have not known any pro-life activists to deny their support to anyone of any race.....wow.

If it were meant to be, We would have an automatic eject button, don't you think?

Technically we do, miscarriages are just natural abortions, of course there is hardly any moral or ethical problems with a miscarriage.

Human life start at conception.

That's true the life processes that lead to becoming human starts at conception, but abortion is only morally (not ethically per se) wrong if that human has a soul (or spirit or consciousness). Christians are not told when God has ordained a human to be ensouled. This is the reason that the Vatican has decreed human life to begin at conception, since it is when a full human organism is made, it is better to 'play it safe' morally and just assume that it's a human being so you do not go into error.

-----------------------------------

Now to my point.

As a man, I only have second-hand information of the workings of your "lady parts" and frankly having three sisters myself I really don't want to know. However it is my belief that God has ordained women to be the preservers of life in all it's forms. And that it is up to women to make the moral decisions about the creation and destruction of life.

I don't believe that it is ever a good thing to have an abortion, since doing so destroys a living human. However sometimes women must make the least bad choice, rather than the good choice. Take for instance a rape victim or a survivor of incest. Other people put that woman in that position, but she is still in that position. I think that one of the problems in society is teaching that abortion just makes the "problem" go away. We think that by eliminating the pregnancy it will eliminate the other issues, while abortions must be provided for these women psychiatric care is not, which in my opinion is more of an affront to the respect of women than anything else.

Then there is the case where a women puts herself in the position to get pregnant. I.e. having sex. As preservers of life women must be prepared to do so, delaying pregnancy isn't as wrong as terminating a pregnancy, and if a woman feels that she would be tempted to do the latter she should definitely practice the former, if she chooses to be intimate with someone.

For men there are few things more evil than putting a woman in a position to kill her child. It takes two people to have sex and men must not lead women into a situation where abortion is an option.

Worse than what I just listed is when a woman without any input from the father of her child decides to get an abortion. Terminating a pregnancy should be a rare life-altering event, and both parties involved should come to an agreement on what should be done. Women having the role of preservers of life ultimately get to make the decision of whether to allow the child to live, however there are men that are willing to do anything for their unborn children and their wishes should not be discarded on a whim.

The only thing I can think of as always wrong is when a woman in a long-term committed and loving relationship decides to use abortion as a form of birth control. The entire point of forming committed relationships with other people is to start a family and to just get rid of a member of that family is such an insult to the institution, that it is nearly unforgivable.

Women's rights and children's rights do not end at each other's umbilicus. They are interwoven by the design of nature. And by nature's design women are endowed with the ability to make the choice for two human beings, not one. I think if more people understood that respect for life doesn't exist just for the woman or just for the child but for both together then there would be less blind fanaticism and more understanding on this issue.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 16:22
Janusrook wrote:   "However it is my belief that God has ordained women to be the preservers of life in all it's forms. And that it is up to women to make the moral decisions about the creation and destruction of life".

Janusrook - You are definitely the "master of wisdom and confusion". I wholeheartedly agree with your above statement. I do not condone abortion (especially as a method of contraception), but I strongly feel that women should always have the legal option of a safe and medically induced termination, if she so desires.
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 19:11
Morticia do you believe that men should be involved in a women's pregnancy or that they should be excluded from it on the basis that a woman's body is her own?
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 20:21
Originally posted by mamikon

LOL touche

That egg is not fertile Ouch
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 20:23
Originally posted by Knights

Originally posted by pinguin

That's a fallacy.

Pinguin, are you aiming your "that's a fallacy" at my comment/opinion, or at the original question stated (is using a condom considered murder)?

Of course not. You are not killing human being ready to go LOL
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 23:12
Let me throw my two cents in here as I just discovered this place just today like somebody else here. I believe that abortion is both right...and wrong. The reason why I say this is because if a woman is raped or if a birth has a chance of killing the woman, then an abortion is necessary. Any other reason than that is pre-meditated murder from my view.

-Let me share you a story though-

My aunt and uncle living in Florida wanted to have a baby. However, right after my aunt became pregnant the doctors told them that my aunt was not fit to follow through in the pregnancy. Many doctors told her that she should abort it in order for her to live. My aunt however did not want to hear a word of it. She finally found a doctor who said that she will be able to get through the pregancy and a few months after that my cousin was born. However, my aunt went through a few problems after that and the doctors suggested that she never get pregnant again. But because of my aunt's strong will my cousin was able to be born and is absolutely healthy. My aunt a few months after the birth has recovered fully as well.

It was kind of weird after hearing this story that my cousin who I love and is like a sister to me could have never came to this world because of a bunch of pessimistic doctors, but was able to pull through because of the love and determination of her mother.

Edited by Ponce de Leon - 02-May-2007 at 23:14
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 04:32

Well, as a woman, I do believe I am the boss of my own body. And I do not want children. For a variety of reasons, one of them being that I consider myself totally incapable of raising a kid. In a time where people are massively complaining about parents not raising their kids properly and any idiot just popping them out, I consider myself wise in this.

Now, obviously, I will do whatever I can to prevent becoming pregnant (this does include getting some cooperation from male counterparts), but if I would ever find myself preganant anyway (condoms fail about 1 in a 1000, the pill fails to work about 1 in 100), I will probably have an abortion. Because me having a child is just going to ruin two lives.

Although, Janus, I do believe men are allowed to have a say in the matter, I also believe it is ultimetely the woman who has to decide. Because, no matter what, she is going to be the one responsible for it, a responsibility I personally could never handle.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 06:30
I am against abortion for moral reasons and against banning abortion for moral reasons. I believe the benefits of legalised abortion, outweigh the moral reasons against abortion.

As I see it, in nations like Romania where abortion has been banned and the original reason for legalised aboritons in the first place, is that illegal abortions will always take place. I think the only nations where a ban on abortion work is Ireland and Andorra - both fairly religious nations, with a high standard of living and small population. In a place like Britain where poverty is rife, you can hardly expect a ban on abortion to work. Same with the US, until society is changed and made more equal, there is no way such a ban could work. So personally, i couldn't care less about any such questions of banning it, it wont work until societies change for the better.

I think that everyone, though, should be discouraged from abortions. I think they are horrific and, whatever you say, I think an abortion is more likely to ruin a life, than a child. Even if you accidently become pregnant, there is support in nearly everyones life for a child. No one is a incapable of being a parent, not really.

Anyhow, Contraception is the best method. OR! Children! No Sex before marriage? That works very well - an exeptional method of contraception! You don't need abortions if you abstain from sexual activity.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 06:42
Originally posted by Ovidius

I think the only nations where a ban on abortion work is Ireland and Andorra - both fairly religious nations, with a high standard of living and small population.

High standard of living? five years ago, Ireland was the poorest country in the EU... And the only reason the ban on abortion works is because England is near and easy to reach. There is a whole industry built on abortion trip abroad.

I think that everyone, though, should be discouraged from abortions. I think they are horrific and, whatever you say, I think an abortion is more likely to ruin a life, than a child. Even if you accidently become pregnant, there is support in nearly everyones life for a child. No one is a incapable of being a parent, not really.

Ever been in a supermarket on saturday morning? One visit and I can point out a dozen parents who should never have had kids. Why do we require people to take tests before they are allowed to drive, but every idiot is presumed capable of having a child? I am quite sure I can deal with the removal of some cells, I am not sure I can deal with willfully having a child I cannot care for, or provide with what it needs. And to have it and then shove it of to my environment to care for is not really a solution.

Anyhow, Contraception is the best method.
Absolutely right. Abortion is a last resort, anything should be done to prevent it from being necessary. But unfortunately, like I already said, that is not always possible. I know girls that have gotten pregnant inspite of using various forms of anticonception.

OR! Children! No Sex before marriage? That works very well - an exeptional method of contraception! You don't need abortions if you abstain from sexual activity.

Yeah, sure, that is gonna work. Dream on. People have sex. That is a fact. Ignoring that fact makes things worse. Research has shown that kids who swear not to have sex before marriage have sex before marriage just as often as kids who do not swear it. Problem is, in the meantime, they never have bothered with education about disease and anticonception. So they are in fact far more likely to catch a disease or get pregnant than kids who took the more realistic view.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 03-May-2007 at 06:44

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 10:02
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

High standard of living? five years ago, Ireland was the poorest country in the EU... And the only reason the ban on abortion works is because England is near and easy to reach. There is a whole industry built on abortion trip abroad.

Actually no. Ireland was the poorest nation based on GDP, not on GDP per Capita. Ireland has and always had a very good standard of living.

Ever been in a supermarket on saturday morning? One visit and I can point out a dozen parents who should never have had kids. Why do we require people to take tests before they are allowed to drive, but every idiot is presumed capable of having a child? I am quite sure I can deal with the removal of some cells, I am not sure I can deal with willfully having a child I cannot care for, or provide with what it needs. And to have it and then shove it of to my environment to care for is not really a solution.

Yes, I'm sure you can point out parents that may not have had children. Yet you still have no idea who they are. The fact is, you see those children in a microcosm - an instance when they are away from home. There are parents of all types that have children trouble, its another problem that is not connected to Abortion in anyway. The fact is that based on statistics we need everyone to have children anyway, its vital for the survival of most European nations. You don't honestly believe that White, Middle Class Couples are going to have many children. Nope, its the poorer communities in which this burst in populace needs to come.

Anyhow, in most West European nations, parents are well supported based on benefits. Its not ideal and some parents really struggle. Again, this is NOT a question for abortion - this is a question for governments and their social policy.

So no, i don't think that abortion is ever going to be the answer here. Abortion is a traumatic experience for most people and is really not advisable, even in cases where bringing up a child will be difficult. There are wealthy, well educated couples that are unable to have children that are crying out for babies to adopt. Which is much easier a method of abandoning unwanted babies.

Absolutely right. Abortion is a last resort, anything should be done to prevent it from being necessary. But unfortunately, like I already said, that is not always possible. I know girls that have gotten pregnant inspite of using various forms of anticonception.

Life has its ways. So in those incidents the "girls" have had an abortion? Shocking for someone like me, who was an 'embraced mistake', conceived whilst my mother was taking the Pill. Maybe my mother should have simply aborted me.

Yeah, sure, that is gonna work. Dream on. People have sex. That is a fact. Ignoring that fact makes things worse. Research has shown that kids who swear not to have sex before marriage have sex before marriage just as often as kids who do not swear it. Problem is, in the meantime, they never have bothered with education about disease and anticonception. So they are in fact far more likely to catch a disease or get pregnant than kids who took the more realistic view.

I didn't say ignore things. I'd love to see where this research is from. Are you really trying to make people believe that kids that "swear not to have sex before marriage" are somehow less receptive to sex education. I tell you one thing, its the kids that don't swear and do have sex before marriage and normally before the age of consent, that are offloading babies. Saying people are somehow ignorant about sexual education because they do no want to have sex before marriage is really ridiculous.

As for the fact that people have sex, this is actually a social nightmare. It is one of the reasons why couples are less likely to get married or even, as it seems recently, to live with eachother. It is the lax attitude that people have towards sex that leads to the vast spread of sexually transmitted diseases and, rather ignored, the psychological problems incurred by such activities.

I'm rather intrigued by this idea that if you are not 'doing' something, you don't know about the precautions. I don't drive, yet I know about Road safety. I don't play football or cricket, but i know the rules, the protection required and the way in which to play such sports. Any sex education is in the national curriculum, in more nations that just the UK.

Edited by Ovidius - 03-May-2007 at 10:04
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 10:51
Originally posted by Ovidius

Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Actually no. Ireland was the poorest nation based on GDP, not on GDP per Capita. Ireland has and always had a very good standard of living.
And yet, that does not change the fact that Irish girls simply go abroad for their abortions, and that the abortion ban is only valid for the poor.

Yes, I'm sure you can point out parents that may not have had children. Yet you still have no idea who they are. The fact is, you see those children in a microcosm - an instance when they are away from home. There are parents of all types that have children trouble, its another problem that is not connected to Abortion in anyway. The fact is that based on statistics we need everyone to have children anyway, its vital for the survival of most European nations. You don't honestly believe that White, Middle Class Couples are going to have many children. Nope, its the poorer communities in which this burst in populace needs to come.

Anyhow, in most West European nations, parents are well supported based on benefits. Its not ideal and some parents really struggle. Again, this is NOT a question for abortion - this is a question for governments and their social policy.

So no, i don't think that abortion is ever going to be the answer here. Abortion is a traumatic experience for most people and is really not advisable, even in cases where bringing up a child will be difficult. There are wealthy, well educated couples that are unable to have children that are crying out for babies to adopt. Which is much easier a method of abandoning unwanted babies.

We so do not need more people on this planet. If the current growth in population keeps coninuing, the earth will not be able to sustain us in the future. Already the western world has reached a level of living that presses so heavily on the environment that, if a larger portion of the world population would try and reach it, millions would have to die for it. I live in an overpopulated country, do not give me any 'we go extinct' crap. If there is not enough of 'us', there is plenty of people elsewhere to take our place.
Adoption is not a substitute. Recently the new christian government here did a research on promoting adoption above abortion. The results of this research on emotional problems whas so shocking they decided to change their policy. Adoption is emotionally very bad, both for mother and child.

All of that is completely irrelevant to the question of abortion. In no country, in no situation, in no case ever, is abortion used as a means of population control. It is a personal something, that has nothing to do with the world at large. To tell a girl in a problematic situation that she should have the child because 'people' think we go extinct is ridiculous.

Life has its ways. So in those incidents the "girls" have had an abortion? Shocking for someone like me, who was an 'embraced mistake', conceived whilst my mother was taking the Pill. Maybe my mother should have simply aborted me.

I am sure your mother made the right choice for her and you. That does not make the same choice the right one for others. Shocking that you cannot think outside of your own box.

One of the girls in question has borderline, no steady job, no steady living space and the father was no where in sight. Moreover, she had no emotional connection at all to her pregnancy, and did not feel like she ever was going to. Nice prospects for a baby, yes? She did the right thing, and prevented a lot of misery.

And, if life has its own way, then why are people who are against abortion so often in favor of the death penalty and IVF? Perhaps, if you cannot have kids, it is a sign of nature too? BS, right? So then.

I didn't say ignore things. I'd love to see where this research is from. Are you really trying to make people believe that kids that "swear not to have sex before marriage" are somehow less receptive to sex education. I tell you one thing, its the kids that don't swear and do have sex before marriage and normally before the age of consent, that are offloading babies. Saying people are somehow ignorant about sexual education because they do no want to have sex before marriage is really ridiculous.

As for the fact that people have sex, this is actually a social nightmare. It is one of the reasons why couples are less likely to get married or even, as it seems recently, to live with eachother. It is the lax attitude that people have towards sex that leads to the vast spread of sexually transmitted diseases and, rather ignored, the psychological problems incurred by such activities.

I'm rather intrigued by this idea that if you are not 'doing' something, you don't know about the precautions. I don't drive, yet I know about Road safety. I don't play football or cricket, but i know the rules, the protection required and the way in which to play such sports. Any sex education is in the national curriculum, in more nations that just the UK.
I've got a news article for you, in Dutch.

A research was held in four US states, by order of the US Congress. The results show that children that swore to remain chaste have sex for the first time at the same age as kids that did not swear it: at 14.9, which is shockingly young. Only about 17% used a condom. That is what you get when you propagate abstinence.
I'll try and find an English one.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 03-May-2007 at 10:53

Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 11:04
A research was held in four US states, by order of the US Congress. The results show that children that swore to remain chaste have sex for the first time at the same age as kids that did not swear it: at 14.9, which is shockingly young. Only about 17% used a condom. That is what you get when you propagate abstinence.
This has been one of those arguements between the Blue and Red states. In other words, those who believe in education of sex and religious conservatives who want there children to remain pure and live healthy lives. What they don't understand is sex isn't always a bad thing, and if you don't have education on it, it will become a bad thing.
This research was in the news a week or so ago talking about how both sides feel and how this survey proved teaching abstinence hasn't worked, and won't worked and teaching would probably ruin more lives then help them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>