Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pro- Choice or Pro-Life?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pro- Choice or Pro-Life?
    Posted: 27-Oct-2006 at 15:39
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

Have you read about the new abortion law in Nicaragua? All abortions are now banned, including when the mother's life is in danger and in cases of rape and incest:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6089718.stmToo bad. It appears that the oncoming elections were (ab)used to push though this law; in a catholic country like Nicaragua politicians are not likely to vote against such a strict law, because they don't want to lose votes.

WOW - that is so sad! The only ones who will suffer are the women! All for the sake of votes! They're going backwards instead of forward!    
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2006 at 15:49
Why backwards?

Or do you consider that the abortion circus in the U.S. is more decent? Or that abortion is the right human sacrifice to do in honor of the godness of women freedom?

Abortion is just another primitive method of population control. Ancient peoples used to kill the children they didn't want. The same is what abortion does. Kill human beings already living.

You certainly should forbide abortion. And to prevent unwanted pregnacy:

(1) Increase coverage of pills, copper Ts, condoms and others.

(2) In case of emergency, use the "day after" pill.

(3) Research in better non-abortive methods.

Then abortion will drop to zero and mankind won't need to kill children to keep its numbers even

Pinguin

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2006 at 16:11
This law has nothing to do with population control. Abortion was already illegal in Nicaragua, except in cases of rape or when the mother's life was in danger. In cases like this, abortion has nothing to do with birth control.
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 15:13

This law has nothing to do with population control. Abortion was already illegal in Nicaragua, except in cases of rape or when the mother's life was in danger. In cases like this, abortion has nothing to do with birth control.

All that new law is going to produce is an increase in infanticide!    
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
heikstheo View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote heikstheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 17:35

Besides, in daily life virtually everybody, including anti-abortionists, seem to agree that birth, and not the concepcion is the beginning of someone's life. After all, nobody celebrates his 'conception day' instead of his birthday.
Well into the Middle Ages, most people did not even know their birthdays. Which explains why saints' feast days are celebrated on their death days. Anyone care to press this one to its logical conclusion?  
Ted Heiks
BA, History & Political Science, Western State College of Colorado, 1984
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 22:13
Pro-Life. Absolutely.

Although I am not Catholic but agnostic. However, I am against human sacrifices, by principle. No matter they are done for the god Molloc, or in the name of the godness of freedom.

Pinguin

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 22:49
I was 100% pro-life before going to the UK, now I'm not thaaaat sure anymore. The cost to pay is very high, and I mean very.
1) abortion is used as a contraceptive, which is not a good idea of course as it is after all rarely innocent to be aborted, let alone several times. Psychologically and even physically it can be dangerous.
2) there is a kind of de-responsibilization of the sexual act mostly from the guy's side. The mentality become "lets shag anyway if something does happen she can abort". As a result England has both the highest rate of abortion and the highest rate of sexual transmission of AIDS for less than 20yo.
3) It is not free, it takes time and means that are badly needed elsewhere. I can't remember the figures but the NHS pays billions in GBPs yearly.

So banning abortion? No surely not, sh*t happens. But lets considers  all the means to prevent it are at your disposal use it, if you fail  you pay Of course  some cases (not necessarily as extreme as rape or danger for the mother's life) are  to be considered, but the vicious circle may be broken.

Actually there are other very interesting questions more or less related included this famous and unfortunate case of a driver who rolled over a pregnant lady and "killed" the ftus. Question: is it murder? is it to be considered as a wouned or as a broken object?
The French High Court (Court de Cassassation) has ruled in favour of the last one: an object Not very satisfying.

Other example, a physician makes a mistake and fails to recommend an abortion so whether the mother dies or the baby is heavily handicaped. Can the parent sue the medic for letting them give birth to their child? Even more problematic can the child sue the physician because he allowed him to live?

All these examples come from some of the most famous jurisprudence in French law but they do ask, in my point of view, essential questions and reveal that every decision however rightous (allowing women to master their own bodies) always comes with a costs that ought to be balanced with its advantages and with the cost/advantages of doing nothing.

What would you say? Full property of the ftus by its mother? Can it be a crime to let people live? What if an aborted ftus did survive, could it sue the mother for murder???
I am a free donkey!
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 14:30
As usual it is a lack of perspective on life and death that blurs the minds of the pro-life agitators. I've already explained this in former posts.

Bottom line; if a woman chooses to use abortion as a contraceptive I won't say I agree with it but I have no right to force her to have babies she doesn't want. On the other hand, if she chooses to keep the baby, it should be because she wants the baby and not because she has no other choice.

I have yet to hear a single argument "pro-life" (quite some lives they'd live though, with the constant risk of being forced to have babies) that doesn't involve downright abuse of womens' freedom. They are especially tasteless when spoken by men, who'll never face the consequences either way. Also, as is obvious the opinions on this matter are strongly divided, which is all the more reason why abortion shouldn't be forbidden, as that would mean forcing one group's opinions on the other.

pinguin, well intended suggestions, which are already followed to some extent in many countries, but you will never, never, never be able to prevent unwanted pregnancies 100%. To forbid abortion on the grounds of promoting contraceptives would be a throning acheivement of naivety.
northpakistani View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote northpakistani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 17:21
In the 1960's there were just over a 100,000 illegal abortions performed in the U.S. However, today, the number has risen to over 1.5 million/year...and 90% of the women are not victims of incest or rape.

Some abortionists claim that their clients become regular customers, and they continually perform this on a year to year basis.

What do you think about that?

Edited by northpakistani - 08-Apr-2007 at 17:22
A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.

-- Albert Einstein
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 18:22
I categorically oppose all forms of murder, and, thus, I am pro-life.

I would ask all of those who support abortion at what point the unborn child should be protected? Pre-mature births happen all the time, and sometimes children born well before their time survive. When should abortion not be allowed? Why should it be forbidden at that point but not one day prior? Why not one day prior to that earlier day?

That said, barring anything interesting I do not think I will participate in this conversation anymore; I do not see it bearing any good fruit. I agree with those who have stated that the issue is so clouded that it is impossible to discuss. I disagree, however, with those who say that the blame for this rests solely with those who are pro-life. I definitely disagree with the absurd assertion that we redefine the dialogue (if it can be described as a dialogue) in terms of pro-choice and "anti-choice" indivudals. This laughable statement, in my estimation, is just more evidence of how blindly ideological individuals--all of us--get when discussing this.

The reason it is well-nigh impossible to carry on a rational discussion of this issue is that we, as a global society, have perverted what should be a moral issue into a political one. In politicizing the issue we have polarized it, as is evident from this thread.

I will conclude with one final observation. In deciding Roe vs. Wade, the U.S. Supreme Court asserted that, "Christian theology and canon law came to fix the point of animation at 40 days for a male and 80 days for a female, a view that persisted until the 19th century," stating further, "there was otherwise little agreement about the precise time of formation or animation."

Anyone who has even briefly perused the canons of the Church, or glanced at the Fathers knows that the above assertion is preposterous. One almost wonders which "canon law" they were studying; as for their lack of familiarity with Christian theology, they left little doubt.

I would encourage anyone who believes that their is room to doubt the ancient Church's absolute conviction that abortion is murder to read the amicus curiae brief submitted by the Orthodox Church to the U.S. Supreme Court:

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 08-Apr-2007 at 18:24
Knight
Knight

Quote northpakistani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 18:59
This is Dr. Bernard Nathanson's classic video "Silent Scream"...he shows a live ultra sound, and recorded an actual foetus a few weeks old actually screaming (without sound) while being ripped to pieces with forceps. The foetus is alive, in just a few weeks! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJzSiAPXTiQ

-- Albert Einstein
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 13:02
Originally posted by northpakistani

This is Dr. Bernard Nathanson's classic video "Silent Scream"...he shows a live ultra sound, and recorded an actual foetus a few weeks old actually screaming (without sound) while being ripped to pieces with forceps. The foetus is alive, in just a few weeks! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJzSiAPXTi

Of course it's alive. All organisms, from humans to sperm cells, are alive.

Originally posted by northpakistani

In the 1960's there were just over a 100,000 illegal abortions performed in the U.S. However, today, the number has risen to over 1.5 million/year...and 90% of the women are not victims of incest or rape.

Some abortionists claim that their clients become regular customers, and they continually perform this on a year to year basis.

What do you think about that?

I think that's perfectly alright. You, evidently, don't think it's alright, and that's okay too. The problem comes when you start thinking that since you believe this is wrong, you will force others to adopt the same view through legislation.

Originally posted by Akolouthos

Again, that is abolutely fine, as long as you don't try to force your stance on others, as long as you don't aspire to forcefully control the most intimate details of womens' lives.

I must say it's not very realistic to oppose all forms of murder though, and I'm not just talking about abortions then.

Edited by Reginmund - 09-Apr-2007 at 13:02
Knight
Knight

Quote northpakistani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 13:26
There is no need to force an individual's stance upon others.  I understand that without abortion, infanticide would increase, but abortion it self is infanticide, wouldn't you think?

However, it is recommended for certain circumstances.
The only concern is that many abuse this privelege.

-- Albert Einstein
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2007 at 00:03
Originally posted by Reginmund

Again, that is abolutely fine, as long as you don't try to force your stance on others, as long as you don't aspire to forcefully control the most intimate details of womens' lives.

Sorry, but I am very pro-society prohibiting murder, so in this instance I will have to insist that my callous, intolerant, anti-murder stance be forced on others. Although I disagree with your refusal to prohibit murder, or at least regulate it, I suppose I must defend your right to speak in favor of allowing individuals to kill each other in the name of convenience. You would do well, however, to recognize exactly what it is you are advocating. And you still have not answered the question I put to you previously.

-Akolouthos
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2007 at 14:54
Regarding your question, the time at which the abortion takes place is under some debate and varies a lot from place to place. Personally I would say it's best to do it as soon as possible, of course, to minimize stress for both the woman and the fetus. I won't try to set any final limit though.

You can call abortion murder if you will, the words used to describe the process in these debates are always chosen to fit the speaker's agenda, mere reflections of their stance. Pro-choice people call it abortion, pro-life people call it baby murder. I find this rather ridiculous though, since abortion is taking of life, so of course it can be termed murder, but "murder" is a word most commonly used to describe the taking of life that we don't acknowledge as right - which hits the nail in your case, but not in mine.

Again, categorically opposing murder, that is, any taking of life, is the cream of naivety. Throughout history murder has been among the most necessary acts of man, and it still is today, something an American should know.

Edited by Reginmund - 12-Apr-2007 at 14:55
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2007 at 16:22

Regarding your question, the time at which the abortion takes place is under some debate and varies a lot from place to place. Personally I would say it's best to do it as soon as possible, of course, to minimize stress for both the woman and the fetus. I won't try to set any final limit though.

Why should we minimize stress for the fetus at all if we view it as disposable? Either it is a life or it is not.

You can call abortion murder if you will, the words used to describe the process in these debates are always chosen to fit the speaker's agenda, mere reflections of their stance. Pro-choice people call it abortion, pro-life people call it baby murder. I find this rather ridiculous though, since abortion is taking of life, so of course it can be termed murder, but "murder" is a word most commonly used to describe the taking of life that we don't acknowledge as right - which hits the nail in your case, but not in mine.

The terms "murder" and "abortion" may generally be used interchangeably in this discussion.

If you willingly acknowledge that abortion, "the taking of a life," which "of course...can be termed murder," is murder, but still support the right of women to have abortions, I would like to know whether or not other murders in the name of convenince are justified. Can I waste someone who cuts me off in traffic? How about people in a really, really long line at the grocery store?

I fail to see how you can admit that abortion is murder and feel, or at least appear to feel, no moral outrage about it whatesoever. That tens of millions of human lives ahve been snuffed out in the past several decades, and people are still inclined to treat this issue in theoretical and political terms baffles the mind.

Again, categorically opposing murder, that is, any taking of life, is the cream of naivety. Throughout history murder has been among the most necessary acts of man, and it still is today, something an American should know.

No, thinking that everyone will oppose murder is the "cream of naivety" ; doing one's best to oppose the unnecessary taking of life is acting morally.

Ignoring your cheap, irrelevant (and, I grant, not entirely unjustified) shot at Americans, I will acknowledge your point regarding the historical definition of murder. What I will not acknowledge is the broad definition of when abortion is deemed "necessary" held in the present. Indeed you, yourself, argue for more than the right to murder when it is necessary; you argue for the right to murder when it appears convenient.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 13-Apr-2007 at 16:27
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2007 at 17:11

Why should we minimize stress for the fetus at all if we view it as disposable? Either it is a life or it is not.

I never said it wasn't life, all organisms are life, as already pointed out.

If you willingly acknowledge that abortion, "the taking of a life," which "of course...can be termed murder," is murder, but still support the right of women to have abortions, I would like to know whether or not other murders in the name of convenince are justified. Can I waste someone who cuts me off in traffic? How about people in a really, really long line at the grocery store?

Call me crazy, but I'm one of those people who think there is a slight difference between abortion and the examples you mentioned.

I fail to see how you can admit that abortion is murder and feel, or at least appear to feel, no moral outrage about it whatesoever.

I do feel sad for the loss of a potential human being, but my emotions give me no right to invade the privacy of another human's body.

Ignoring your cheap, irrelevant (and, I grant, not entirely unjustified) shot at Americans, I will acknowledge your point regarding the historical definition of murder. What I will not acknowledge is the broad definition of when abortion is deemed "necessary" held in the present. Indeed you, yourself, argue for more than the right to murder when it is necessary; you argue for the right to murder when it appears convenient.

It wasn't an attempt at being cheap, I was just kind of hoping you'd realise basic realities such as for example how America would still be an English colony without political rights if all Americans had had your attitude to murder back then. Murder can be necessary to reach certain goals that are all-important to our welfare. So yes, murder can be a necessity.
The_Jackal_God View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote The_Jackal_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2007 at 00:14
instead of aborting children when the mothers are left alone by fathers who don't want to shoulder the responsibility for their virile limb, they should abort them.

one other comment, abortion is a reflection of a materialist society.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2007 at 00:26

You can call abortion murder if you will, ....

Abortion is killing a human being.

As far as I know, killing a human being is called legally murder.

People can argue fetous are not human beings, but they are. The thing to discuss then if it is right to kill human beings when is convenient.

It is convenient to kill old people? sick people? criminals? people of other races? Should we consider all humans worth to live?

Or does it depends on how convinient is to me?

Even more important. Are some human beings more important than others?
Is woman freedom and father's irresponsabilities more important than the life of those third class humans called euphemistically "non-born" children?

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 30-Apr-2007 at 00:30
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2007 at 00:58
As far as I know, killing a human being is called legally murder.
Legally, which means law, and laws are rules set by man and no one or anything else. If the law says abortion is legal, then it's obviously not legally murder and it becomes only a matter of opinion and nothing more.
People can argue fetous are not human beings, but they are. The thing to discuss then if it is right to kill human beings when is convenient.
I think other animals that we slaughter have more awareness of itself then a fetus does. We have no problem putting animals on a assembly line and extinguish their lives by the thousands everyday.
Or does it depends on how convinient is to me?
Wars are a good example of people being killed by the millions out of convience.
Even more important. Are some human beings more important than others?
I always say I don't think I'm better then anyone and no one is better then me. But thats only on equal grounds, power makes people superior.
Is woman freedom and father's irresponsabilities more important than the life of those third class humans called euphemistically "non-born" children?
I'd never allow a abortion if it was my child, the idea makes me cringe that something I have created could be killed off. But I believe it's not what I think that matters for everyone else. I believe personal issues are left for someone else. The fetus to me though isn't human until it developes a mind more advanced then a household pet. In otherwords, it needs awarness.
Does using a condom during sex count as genocide?
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>