Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AE Magazine - September Edition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AE Magazine - September Edition
    Posted: 09-Sep-2006 at 20:10
The Achaemenid Empire: Government and Institution
Adaptable, detailed, centralised with some localised adaptations, the Achaemenid government and administration proved an impressive response to the challenge of running an empire of unprecedented size and complexity . (by Constantine Xl)
The Cathars
Was Catharism indeed the great heresy of Christianity of the Middle Ages or rather, a phenomenonal introduction of a non-Christian Dualist faith into Europe purely by intellectual dissemination rather through territorial conquest? (by Komnenos)
The Scottish Highland Regiments
The Scottish Highland Regiments are renowned for their bravery in the British army. "The limbs of the Highlander are strong and sinewy, the frame hardy, and of great physical power... He endures cold, hunger, and fatigue with patience." (By Emperor Barbarossa)
The Ghurid Empire in India
When Qutbuddin Aibak was still a young boy he was captured and sold as a slave. He was purchased by the chief judge of Nishapur. The judge treated Qutbuddin as a son, and raised him as an educated man skilled in archery and horsemanship. Upon the judge's death, Qutbuddin was placed on the market again and was bought by the Sultan of Ghowr's brother, Muhammed Ghuri. (by Omar al Hashim)
The Battles At Otepไไ and Vastseliina
By the 13th century, Estonia had been conquered by the Germans. There were many attempts of rebellion but one stands out: The Harju Rebellion or the Uprising of Jri๖๖ (St. George's Night). The Estonians had planned the rebellion to begin on the 30th of April. (By Rider)
Battle On Ice
The Battle on the Ice was fought between German Crusaders and the Novgorodian Militia defending their territories. The Germans, allied with Danish were forced into battle on the ice of Lake Peipus. Thus we get the name Jไไlahing in Estonian, literally meaning "Battle of the Ice", although in English it is usually known as the Battle on the Ice or the Battle on Lake Peipus. (By Rider)
This Month in History
On September 4, 476 the West-Roman Empire came to an end when its Emperor Romulus Augustulus abdicated. On September 8, 1565 the Ottoman forces withdrew from Malta and the four months long siege of the island came to an end. Read on for more events for this september (By Komnenos)
Vintage Vault - The First Afghan War
In this edition of Vintage Vault topically we travel back to Afghanistan in the 1840s to see what it was like the first time around for British military involvement in that region. (by Paul)
Sourcebook: Germania by Tacitus
"The whole of Germany is thus bounded; separated from Gaul, from Rhoetia and Pannonia, by the rivers Rhine and Danube; from Sarmatia and Dacia by mutual fear, or by high mountains: the rest is encompassed by the ocean, which forms huge bays, and comprehends a tract of islands immense in extent: for we have lately known certain nations and kingdoms there, such as the war discovered."

From the Editors:

This Issue of the AE Magazine has started out with a great deal of new things. First of all, we are proud to announce that after a great deal of planning and discussions, we are introducing the This Month In History column that will be replace the lost This Day In History forum. For the column, we will focus three to five days out of a month's worth of events.

Secondly, we had a long discussion among the editors as to how to handle adding primary source texts to each publication. It was decided that we would include a link to a whole text, accompanied by an outline of the writer and the writer's bibliography for interested persons. As an exception for this issue, we have included the full text of the Germania for I (Rider) lost the amazing link to the whole text. I still suggest reading it, as it is well worthy of a read. I also should note the existance of such terms as the Astyi (or Aestii), Fenns and others which most probably relate to today's nations and may be the overall first mentioning of the Finno-Ugric tribes. If no such happenings occur in the next months, I assure you that we will act according to our plans to include only small excerpts and the link to the whole text.

Third, we are announcing the creation of a column that will describe a historical movie or game, in it's aspects. We will begin the following month and as the pool for selection is so great, we have yet no idea what it will be. Our previous idea to begin it this month was put on hold, so you now have to wait. We usually have one difficult Picture Quiz, this time I have made two simple ones. They are both relatively simple. Indeed, these three things may seem small to you but if you'd know what planning and devising was behind them, you'd be impressed.

- The AE Magazine Staff

AE Magazine, September Edition
Editors: Rider (Main Editor), Paul, Invictus, Emp. Barbarossa
Contributing Writers: Constantine XI, Komnenos, Emperor Barbarossa, Omar al Hashim, Rider

This Month's Picture Quiz:

There are two pictures for this month's quiz.

He was once very well known in Europe and further East, but probably not as so in the Americas. Who was he?

What famous event described in legend is shown above?

Answer to Last Month's Picture Quiz:

The notorious outlaw is Charles Boles, also known as Black Bart.

Edited by Paul - 30-Dec-2006 at 18:06
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2006 at 20:37
wow, great issue, guys! Haven't gotten the chance to read all the articles yet, but I've read Emp. Barbarossa's and Constantine XI's articles. Wow. Great job.
Samo Sloga Srbina Spasava
Only Unity Can Save the Serb
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2006 at 21:24
Greaat work guys!

The article about the Seige of Malta in this month in history, is concise and well written. However, I would like to add that though Sultan Suleyman' was not present he left the onfield decisions to the commander of the seige, Mustafa Pasha. The commander of the Ottoman fleet was Piyale Pasha along with the famous admiral Turgut Reis (aka Dragut). Turgut was mortally wounded by canon fire during the attack on St. Elmo.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 02:17
Nice issue,

I think someone should point out that not only does the link to my article not work, but its spelt wrong too. (And it really only deals with the Ghurids in India)

ps.
Originally posted by The Scottish Highland Regiments

This was deemed the Final Solution to the Highland Problem. Though this may sound eerily similar to Adolf Hitlers Final Solution, it did not result in a massive genocide to slaughter the peoples of the Highlands[3], but rather, to prevent another such disastrous rebellion against the British monarchy.

AngryThey wiped out our language, our culture, they forced us to be english and stole our land. If that doesn't amount to genocide (at least cultural genocide) I'm not sure what does.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 10-Sep-2006 at 02:48
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 08:08
Omar, I was referring to an actual genocide in the article(as in the attempted slaughter of all the Highland peoples) , not cultural genocide. Cultural genocide was somewhat attempted, but it was not pressed hard enough to happen. Besides, the Highlanders were not forced to be English(they were forced to accept the Hanoverian monarchy, not the Stuart monarchy, as their rulers). And, the whole rebellion was not against the Union of England and Scotland, but against the Hanoverian monarchy that usurped the Stuart throne. So, it would be hard for me to say that the Highland Scots were forced to be English. I did not try to press the whole Jacobite Rebellion Era much, because the article was about the Scottish Highland Regiments, not the Scottish Highlands(though I did give a basic history). If I wrote an article on the Scottish Highlands, I would have definitely included the attempts of cultural genocide(leading to the emigration to America, Canada, Australia, South Africa, etc.). Now that you have mentioned it, I will add a sentence or two about the banning of the tartan, and disarming of the Highlands after the Second Jacobite Rebellion, so thanks for bringing that up. By the way, Omar, do you have some ancestry from the Highlands, because you used the word "our" not once, but twice?

Anyways, thanks for any compliments on the issue, this was the first issue that Rider was the main editor, and he did a great job on it.

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 08:50
Thanks for any comments. I suggest you read the Editorial.

Also, I recommend the Achaemenid Empire and Highlanders ones.
J.M.Finegold View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 14:01
Props to Rider! Smile I just read another article on the Battle of Lake Peipus that was published last year in a Military Heritage article that I had left in Spain, and so I had picked up an interest on it.  Thanks for the great read!

-Jon
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 14:07
It was unfortunately a bit short but you might have found out something from it. The problem of it's lenght is that I only do posess some two books that mention it passingly, and no direct sources over it.
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 17:33

If you think about it, the AE magazine is really where the spirit of AE is best defined and maintained - scholarly discussion and presentation of historical issues. Amidst the disappointing mediocrity of a lot of the ongoing discussions in the various AE forums, the AE magazine is like a breath of fresh air.

Great job, guys! And thank you.

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 22:06
By the way, Omar, do you have some ancestry from the Highlands, because you used the word "our" not once, but twice?

Yes. I have ancestry from all over scottland and northern england. More from that region than any other place in fact. My mother's side of the family identify quite strongly as scotts.

I think what was done to the Scotts after Culloden is often understated. The Clans were stripped of their ancestral lands, scotts gaelic became an outlawed language, to be replaced by english. Traditional dress was banned, and most positions of power were taken up by englishmen.

Anyway, great article none the less.
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2006 at 11:41
The famous event of the newsletter: the Oath of the Horatii -painted by Jacques-Louis David, isn't it?
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2006 at 12:51
That is correct!

What about the first picture? I don't actually know the answer to that one!
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2006 at 13:32
Well, two simple pics as I said. But I liked the Oath so it is there.

Keep looking for the second. Both of you.
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2006 at 19:09
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

By the way, Omar, do you have some ancestry from the Highlands, because you used the word "our" not once, but twice?

Yes. I have ancestry from all over scottland and northern england. More from that region than any other place in fact. My mother's side of the family identify quite strongly as scotts.

I think what was done to the Scotts after Culloden is often understated. The Clans were stripped of their ancestral lands, scotts gaelic became an outlawed language, to be replaced by english. Traditional dress was banned, and most positions of power were taken up by englishmen.

Anyway, great article none the less.

Yes, I agree with you Omar that it was understated what was done to the Jacobites(more specifically Highland Jacobites) by the British government. The Highland Clearances(as they are called) are very understated, and I did not mean to understate them, but, as I said, it was an article dealing more with the Highland Regiments rather than the Highlands. Anyways, I am surprised to hear that you have Scottish and English ancestry(I always assumed you were a descendants of Arab immigrants to Australia because you are a Muslim living in Australia. I too have ancestry from those two places. Thanks for the compliment on the article, I greatly appreciate it.

Edited by Emperor Barbarossa - 11-Sep-2006 at 19:16

vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2006 at 12:30
Great work Constantine XI and to all the rest too!

Edited by vulkan02 - 20-Sep-2006 at 12:31
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2006 at 17:43
Thankyou, vulkan02. I was always curious about how the Achaemenids managed to run such an empire of unprecedented size. That topic was out of my traditional field, so the new experience was good.
 Post Reply Post Reply