Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Balkans and EU : Dangers and Threats

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Online Status: Offline
  Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Balkans and EU : Dangers and Threats
    Posted: 09-Sep-2006 at 11:57
Was concerning the security threats and dangers in the Balkans I think that the major threat for the Balkans is the dispute over the status quo of the area formed at the end of the 19th and 20th cent.Few statesmen could have foreseen the complications posed by the resurgence of nationalism and inter-ethnic tensions.
On the other hand I consider as dangers for the Security in the Balkans the following:
  1. Instability of the Balkan States. This mean Ethnic conflicts, Authoritative, Ethnic trends and Economic collapses.
  2. Mass immigration.Great examples the Bosnia and Albania.
  3. Organized Crime.The organized crime may probably pose the most  serious threat to the stability of the area in the peace time.
  4. Autonomist movements.Unfortynely the believers  that they will succeed in breaking away territories in the Balkans, through armed activities. The success in such activities reinforces their wish to, allow me the expression, "liberate" even more territories, without a foreseeable end.
  5. International terrorism.There are cores in the balkan that produce that.
  6. Ethnic nationalism and irredentism ambitions.Both constitute a danger, since they increase the suspicion among the Balkan states, seeking the change of the existing borders by violence.is known Nationalists, in their effort to create ethnic nations, are led to anti-democratic methods.
In the post cold war era the Balkans is a part of Europe where the destabilization risk is still visible. This view is enhanced by the fact that the Balkans is a region of fierce controversies. Destabilisation tensions co-exist with those of stabilization and cooperation. It is a typical characteristic that.
On the one hands
-the Balkan countries strive to be integrated in the hyper-national EU  whereas
-they strive for separation and creation of ethnically pure countries.
EU  had and has  to face a number of threats of a completely different nature from those of the cold war era, when the EU was established in the latter form.

Any  further thaughts ?Confused

Edited by akritas - 09-Sep-2006 at 11:58
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 10:58
Balkains are generally poor, and Even they hate each other, I think they are not stupid. (They are also weak, serbians were somehow powerful, but they are not any more)

They will not refuse richness that comes from Europea, and they have no capacity to play power games. (Except greece and Turkey)

Alparslan1071 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Alparslan1071 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2006 at 11:11

I think Russia and Germany are playing games in Balkans always.

During the Ottoman Rule they couldnt  touch there.But when Ottomans got weak they started to play games on balkans and diveded the land to thousand pieces.Like Caucasia and middle east.

Russia first created a new state in Peloponnessos in 1821 with the other

european countries.They made a king (He wasnt greek" prens Otto")

after Greece  Serbia,Bulgaria,Albania,Romania,Crotia,Montenegro,)now it is mess.

Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 05:13
If you take a good, hard look at the Blakans during the last two centuries, you'll se that all instability comes from one single nereve center-Belgrade. The imperialist politics of the Serbian political elite was homegrown, not orchestated from Russia like most people think. Still today, pro-imperialist party have a majority support in Serbia, and there doesn't seem to be any sign of a decline. In fact, the independence of Kosovo will only increase it. And Russia has given up on the Blakans nowdays.

The big mistake Europe is making on the Blakans is seeing the strive for integration into the EU as a sign of the inhabitants wanting to leave the past behind and accept european values. What the average Balkaner really wants is to achive the living standard of the west, while dispizing it's values alltogether.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 11:47
rubbish anti serbian rhetoric. Nationalism has no borders.

If kosovo is allowed to split from serbia then why shouldnt serbian parts of other countries do the same? western double standards no doubt will make them more angry and help extremists.

So stop the double standards.

Edited by Leonidas - 15-Sep-2006 at 11:49
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 14:15
double standard is a must at international politics.
Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 15:24
Originally posted by Leonidas

rubbish anti serbian rhetoric. Nationalism has no borders. If kosovo is allowed to split from serbia then why shouldnt serbian parts of other countries do the same? western double standards no doubt will make them more angry and help extremists. So stop the double standards.

Oh no, not another Serb

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 15:27
He is greek. Well you should say no not another pro-serb.(greek)Big smile
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 15:52
Originally posted by Mortaza

He is greek. Well you should say no not another pro-serb.(greek)Big smile
is not obvious that Leonidas is Greek? Smile
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 18:11
Originally posted by Leonidas

rubbish anti serbian rhetoric. Nationalism has no borders.

If kosovo is allowed to split from serbia then why shouldnt serbian parts of other countries do the same? western double standards no doubt will make them more angry and help extremists.

So stop the double standards.

Clap 
Leonidas as consistent as ever. Good form.

The Balkans are still not stable with respect to the regions affected by the balkan wars of the 90's + I suspect ethnic discontent in Bulgaria.
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 03:48
Agree malizai that the Ethnic nationalism and irredentism ambitions in the Balkans is without limits.Everyone  dream Great Albania,Serbia, Greece e.t.c.. Unfortunely the only that paid  and will continue to pay these actions is the people that want to leave in peace.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 09:08
Originally posted by Maljkovic

Oh no, not another Serb

i dont think im "pro- serb"  but i did date a bosnian serb once, if that counts.

i dont like people pointing the finger and saying "it was them". This is a history forum for god sake, such simplistic black/white logic just expose a blinkered reality. If you can only identify and talk about the nationalists(ism) in the "other " country but not your own you most probably one yourself.

Edited by Leonidas - 16-Sep-2006 at 09:11
Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 11:07
You want to talk facts? In the 20th century, only one war that was fought in the Balkans was not caused by Serbia. This was WWII, all others can be atributed to Serbian ekspansionism.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2006 at 15:05
The Balkans are still not stable with respect to the regions affected by the balkan wars of the 90's + I suspect ethnic discontent in Bulgaria.

Largest minority at bulgaria is Turks, and I dont think neither them nor Turkey interest a conflict with bulgarians.

If you are looking for a conflict, look at kosova.

i dont like people pointing the finger and saying "it was them". This is a history forum for god sake, such simplistic black/white logic just expose a blinkered reality.

True this is a history forum, and history is generally affected from idologies.

Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 12:37
Originally posted by akritas

Agree malizai that the Ethnic nationalism and irredentism ambitions in the Balkans is without limits.Everyone  dream Great Albania,Serbia, Greece e.t.c.. Unfortunely the only that paid  and will continue to pay these actions is the people that want to leave in peace.

Myself, I have other ambitions and other dreams...I was thinking to build a new studio for myself, the one I have has no space for all the books...and ummm, I knew this days a special girl, it looks like I ll have plenty of things to dream for...and plus I got to care about the quality of my work...and many many other things, believe me I dont have time for a greater albania. I care about the albanians wherever they are, and I do believe that Kosova should be free to decide about its future, if they want to join albania they are of course welcome, but that would not be a greater albania anyway
Prej heshtjes...!
Desimir View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Suspended

Quote Desimir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 13:05
I dont think that Balkans Countries are such a threat for EU.Greece is already a member of EU,Bulgaria and Romania will become members in 2007.The expansion of the union on the balcans will bring only prosperity and peace.The only threat for balkanian peace is the ethnic hate.I dont think that turkish will fight against bulgarians and that we will fight turkish.There may be some nationalism but it is limited.Only albanians can cause some kind of ethnic conflicts because of kosovo and albanians in Macedonia.
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 21:19
Originally posted by Desimir

There may be some nationalism but it is limited.Only albanians can cause some kind of ethnic conflicts because of kosovo and albanians in Macedonia.

Who are you to say that  Only ALBANIANS can cause trouble because of the Kosova and FYROM?
Well, if I followed your reasoning I could say that only the serbians and the slav macedonians can cause ethnic problems, because of Kosova and the (very significant) presence of the albanians in FYROM. Is like saying that only the french are those who can cause ethnic problems in Switzerland...Albanians live in the territory they inherited from their fathers and grand fathers from centuries, they didnt occupy anybodys land, so you cant blame them for the ethnosh*t that goes around in this region. Stop the prejudices!!!
Prej heshtjes...!
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 21:39

If by parts of Serbia in other countries you mean Bosnian's unofficial and internationally unrecognized RS(Republika Srpreska). It is not the same issue. Albanians were 69% of Kosova at the time it was sucked into the Kingdom of the Croats, Serbs and Slovenes. Even then it endured heavy amount of forced expulsions and settlement of Montenegrins, who trampled on the rights of Albanians in the area. Yet still after WW2 the Albanians remained the clear majority and expanded over the decades to the point they are today. They had a higher birthrate then the Serbs and could not leave the province to work in other parts of Yugo like Serbs could.

The RS is recognized by the international community to have been created artifically and through the acts of ethnic cleansing. That is why it is not recognized and will not be effcted by the imminent declaration of Kosova as an independant nation.

There may be some nationalism but it is limited.Only albanians can cause some kind of ethnic conflicts because of kosovo and albanians in Macedonia.

These Albanians had a right to act out what they did. They were the most oppressed minority in all of the Former Yugoslav republic. On top of the fact that neither any of these Albs(whether in Montenegro, Kosova or FYROM) wanted any part in being adopted into these lands(ulcin in Montenegro endured two major Serb sieges and was then entire Albanian populated and even today after Montenegrin population dilution the city is 75% Albanian). They were given partically no rights which they did not have to fight for.

For the issue on FYROM and how its been developing since the war look HERE.

During the Ottoman Rule they couldnt touch there.But when Ottomans got weak they started to play games on balkans and diveded the land to thousand pieces.Like Caucasia and middle east.

So you think keeping all these lands in a bankrupt and dying empire was better?

Everyone dream Great Albania,Serbia, Greece e.t.c.. Unfortunely the only that paid and will continue to pay these actions is the people that want to leave in peace.

Little children can dream all they want. However none of the Albanians in Montenegro or in FYROM have actually declared wants for succession from their govt. Just increase in Rights. Recently in Montenegro Albs protested for the fact that their municipality was attacked to Podgorica's and so they lost all say in anything in the state. In Kosova its differen, the Kosova populous and ROA populous have stated that they have no official wish to unite the lands into a "Greater State". Rather they just wish to succeed from a country which has pursued the focus of ethnic cleansing in that area since the first world war.

Edited by Theodore Felix - 18-Sep-2006 at 22:07
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 21:42

If you take a good, hard look at the Blakans during the last two centuries, you'll se that all instability comes from one single nereve center-Belgrade. The imperialist politics of the Serbian political elite was homegrown, not orchestated from Russia like most people think. Still today, pro-imperialist party have a majority support in Serbia, and there doesn't seem to be any sign of a decline. In fact, the independence of Kosovo will only increase it. And Russia has given up on the Blakans nowdays.

The big mistake Europe is making on the Blakans is seeing the strive for integration into the EU as a sign of the inhabitants wanting to leave the past behind and accept european values. What the average Balkaner really wants is to achive the living standard of the west, while dispizing it's values alltogether.

Ahh, more nationalism from the Croatian facist Maljkovic LOL

The Yugoslav civil wars was everyones fault, not only Serbia's. You are saying that the sepertism and aggression by Croatia and Sloviena wasn't a major fault in the bloody collapse of Yugoslavia? According to you, Franjo Tudjman was a saint. The ethnic cleansing of Serbs in Krajina was of course, Serbia's fault. (of course I'm being sarcastic).

To conclude, I would like to say that I'm tired of your nationalism, lies, and hate shown towards Serbs. For example, calling me a cetnik on numerous occasions. Leonidas pretty much summed it up best, so thank you Leo!

Originally posted by maljkovic

Oh no, not another Serb

He is not Serb, but Greek. But, just for the record, what does it matter if he was Serb? This grudge you have agansit us must stop, seriously....You're pathetic.

Samo Sloga Srbina Spasava
Only Unity Can Save the Serb
Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2006 at 07:55
Originally posted by Jay.

If you take a good, hard look at the Blakans during the last two centuries, you'll se that all instability comes from one single nereve center-Belgrade. The imperialist politics of the Serbian political elite was homegrown, not orchestated from Russia like most people think. Still today, pro-imperialist party have a majority support in Serbia, and there doesn't seem to be any sign of a decline. In fact, the independence of Kosovo will only increase it. And Russia has given up on the Blakans nowdays. The big mistake Europe is making on the Blakans is seeing the strive for integration into the EU as a sign of the inhabitants wanting to leave the past behind and accept european values. What the average Balkaner really wants is to achive the living standard of the west, while dispizing it's values alltogether.

Ahh, more nationalism from the Croatian facist Maljkovic [IMG]height=17 alt=LOL src="smileys/smiley36.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>The Yugoslav civil wars was everyones fault, not only Serbia's. You are saying that the sepertism and aggression by Croatia and Sloviena wasn't a major fault in the bloody collapse of Yugoslavia? According to you, Franjo Tudjman was a saint. The ethnic cleansing of Serbs in Krajina was of course, Serbia's fault. (of course I'm being sarcastic).To conclude, I would like to say that I'm tired of your nationalism, lies, and hate shown towards Serbs. For example, calling me a cetnik on numerous occasions. Leonidas pretty much summed it up best, so thank you Leo!
Originally posted by maljkovic

Oh no, not another Serb [IMG]http://www.allempires.com/forum/smileys/smiley22.gif" align=middle>
He is not Serb, but Greek. But, just for the record, what does it matter if he was Serb? This grudge you have agansit us must stop, seriously....You're pathetic.

I can accept calling a decision made on free elections separatism since it's coming from you, but agression? With what?! Milosevic controled the Yugoslav army and there was no other army in Croatia and Slovenia in the begining, they were only formed later.

I blame Tudman for a lot of things, but starting the war he did not. And as for the blame for cleansing of Krajina, maybe you should read something about it on places that aren't pro-cetnik. I was here when this was happening so I think I know a bit more about it than you!

And that's funny... Croats, Bosniaks, Albanians, Montenegrins, everyone has a grudge against Serbs. But the Serbs don't have a grudge against anyone   

Edited by Maljkovic - 19-Sep-2006 at 11:47
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>