Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Taliban - Were they tyrannical to women ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taliban - Were they tyrannical to women ?
    Posted: 07-Sep-2006 at 06:08

Just came across this article on how the women were exploited under the pakistan backed Taliban : Is it true :

Lifting The Veil On Taliban Sex Slavery
Of all the ways the Taliban abused women, this may be the worst

TIME, February 18, 2002
BY TIM MCGIRK/SHOMALI PLAIN

Widow Shah Jan sits in an icy room with mud walls in a snowfield on the edge of Kabul. She wipes her tears with the edge of her grimy sweater as she recalls the day in August 1999 when the Taliban set fire to her home in the vineyards of the Shomali Plain and kidnapped her best friend, Nafiza. "The Taliban burst in with their guns and torches," says Shah Jan. "None of us even had time to put on our veils."

With the women stripped of their burkas, it was a simple task for the Taliban invaders to cull the young beauties. Nafiza was one of them. Green-eyed, with raven-black hair that grazed her waist, Nafiza had rushed to help Shah Jan get her three kids out of the burning house. A Taliban fighter spotted the woman with the emerald eyes. She was his prize. With the butt of his AK-47 rifle, he slammed Nafiza into the dust and dragged her, crying and pleading, to the highway. There, Arabs and Pakistanis of al-Qaeda joined the Taliban to sort out the young women from the other villagers. One girl preferred suicide to slavery; she threw herself down a well. Nafiza and women from surrounding villages, numbering in the hundreds, were herded into trucks and buses. They were never seen again.

Only now, two months after the Taliban's fall, are the dirtiest secrets of their persecution of Afghan women coming to light. The Taliban often argued that the brutal restrictions they placed on women were actually a way of revering and protecting the opposite sex. The behavior of the Taliban during the six years they expanded their rule in Afghanistan made a mockery of that claim. The United Nations and relief agencies picked up warning signals of these abuses from women refugees fleeing the conquering Taliban. Now it is clear from the testimony of witnesses and officials of the new government that the ruling clerics systematically abducted women from the Tajik, Uzbek, Hazara and other ethnic minorities they defeated. Stolen women were a reward for victorious battle. And in the cities of Kabul, Mazar-i-Sharif, Jalalabad and Khost, women victims tell of being forced to wed Taliban soldiers and Pakistani and Arab fighters of Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda network, who later abandoned them. These marriages were tantamount to legalized rape. "They sold these girls," says Ahmad Jan, the Kabul police chief. "The girls were dishonored and then discarded."

In the mud-fortress villages above the Shomali vineyards, more than 600 women vanished in the 1999 Taliban offensive. Yet these abductions are considered such a great dishonor that the victims' families almost never mention them. Says Qadria Yasdon Parast, leader of Freedom Messengers, a Kabul women's rights group: "If you ask about the missing, they'll say, 'Our daughter's dead,' or that she's off married in Pakistan." Many of the women probably did end up in Pakistan--but were sold to brothels or kept as virtual slaves inside homes, say officials from relief agencies. None have come back. Even if they could escape, these women would probably calculate that their families would no longer welcome them.

The trail of the missing Shomali women leads to Jalalabad, not far from the Pakistan border. There, according to eyewitnesses, the women were penned up inside Sar Shahi camp in the desert. The more desirable among them were selected and taken away. Some were trucked to Peshawar with the apparent complicity of Pakistani border guards. Others were taken to Khost, where bin Laden had several training camps. The al-Qaeda Arabs had a hard time finding voluntary brides among the Afghan women, but they did have money. One Arab in Khost spent $10,000 on a teenage Afghan beauty, says Ahmad Jan, but abandoned her a week later, when the U.S. air strikes began.

Orders to abduct women came from the Taliban leaders, say the Kabul police, but not all commanders obeyed. In the Shomali Plain, Taliban commander Nuruludah says, he saw women being forced onto trucks by Pakistani members of al-Qaeda, so he gathered 10 men, ambushed the trucks and released the women. In Jalalabad too, a few local Taliban eventually stormed the camp and freed the women who remained there. These were the heroic exceptions. For others, apparently, the profound degradation of women seemed perfectly tolerable.

With reporting by Hannah Bloch/Islamabad

Edited by Vivek Sharma - 07-Sep-2006 at 06:13
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
DocStaph View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote DocStaph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2006 at 17:19
Nonsense!
Pregnancy is a Death Sentence to an Afghan Woman!
TeldeInduz View Drop Down
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2006 at 22:12
Originally posted by Vivek Sharma

Just came across this article on how the women were exploited under the pakistan backed Taliban : Is it true :

Lifting The Veil On Taliban Sex Slavery
Of all the ways the Taliban abused women, this may be the worst

TIME, February 18, 2002
BY TIM MCGIRK/SHOMALI PLAIN

Widow Shah Jan sits in an icy room with mud walls in a snowfield on the edge of Kabul. She wipes her tears with the edge of her grimy sweater as she recalls the day in August 1999 when the Taliban set fire to her home in the vineyards of the Shomali Plain and kidnapped her best friend, Nafiza. "The Taliban burst in with their guns and torches," says Shah Jan. "None of us even had time to put on our veils."

With the women stripped of their burkas, it was a simple task for the Taliban invaders to cull the young beauties. Nafiza was one of them. Green-eyed, with raven-black hair that grazed her waist, Nafiza had rushed to help Shah Jan get her three kids out of the burning house. A Taliban fighter spotted the woman with the emerald eyes. She was his prize. With the butt of his AK-47 rifle, he slammed Nafiza into the dust and dragged her, crying and pleading, to the highway. There, Arabs and Pakistanis of al-Qaeda joined the Taliban to sort out the young women from the other villagers. One girl preferred suicide to slavery; she threw herself down a well. Nafiza and women from surrounding villages, numbering in the hundreds, were herded into trucks and buses. They were never seen again.

Only now, two months after the Taliban's fall, are the dirtiest secrets of their persecution of Afghan women coming to light. The Taliban often argued that the brutal restrictions they placed on women were actually a way of revering and protecting the opposite sex. The behavior of the Taliban during the six years they expanded their rule in Afghanistan made a mockery of that claim. The United Nations and relief agencies picked up warning signals of these abuses from women refugees fleeing the conquering Taliban. Now it is clear from the testimony of witnesses and officials of the new government that the ruling clerics systematically abducted women from the Tajik, Uzbek, Hazara and other ethnic minorities they defeated. Stolen women were a reward for victorious battle. And in the cities of Kabul, Mazar-i-Sharif, Jalalabad and Khost, women victims tell of being forced to wed Taliban soldiers and Pakistani and Arab fighters of Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda network, who later abandoned them. These marriages were tantamount to legalized rape. "They sold these girls," says Ahmad Jan, the Kabul police chief. "The girls were dishonored and then discarded."

In the mud-fortress villages above the Shomali vineyards, more than 600 women vanished in the 1999 Taliban offensive. Yet these abductions are considered such a great dishonor that the victims' families almost never mention them. Says Qadria Yasdon Parast, leader of Freedom Messengers, a Kabul women's rights group: "If you ask about the missing, they'll say, 'Our daughter's dead,' or that she's off married in Pakistan." Many of the women probably did end up in Pakistan--but were sold to brothels or kept as virtual slaves inside homes, say officials from relief agencies. None have come back. Even if they could escape, these women would probably calculate that their families would no longer welcome them.

The trail of the missing Shomali women leads to Jalalabad, not far from the Pakistan border. There, according to eyewitnesses, the women were penned up inside Sar Shahi camp in the desert. The more desirable among them were selected and taken away. Some were trucked to Peshawar with the apparent complicity of Pakistani border guards. Others were taken to Khost, where bin Laden had several training camps. The al-Qaeda Arabs had a hard time finding voluntary brides among the Afghan women, but they did have money. One Arab in Khost spent $10,000 on a teenage Afghan beauty, says Ahmad Jan, but abandoned her a week later, when the U.S. air strikes began.

Orders to abduct women came from the Taliban leaders, say the Kabul police, but not all commanders obeyed. In the Shomali Plain, Taliban commander Nuruludah says, he saw women being forced onto trucks by Pakistani members of al-Qaeda, so he gathered 10 men, ambushed the trucks and released the women. In Jalalabad too, a few local Taliban eventually stormed the camp and freed the women who remained there. These were the heroic exceptions. For others, apparently, the profound degradation of women seemed perfectly tolerable.

With reporting by Hannah Bloch/Islamabad

This might be true, it might not be..for sure the Taliban were not a good form of governance by most ordinary people's standard..this isnt the point. In fact you make absolutely no point. Is it true the Indian-backed Northern Alliance were any better in their treatment of women, for example? (incidentally from the same website you took that article from). 

For the Sins of the Taliban

The Washington Post, Mar.20, 2002
By Peter Bouckaert and Saman Zia-Zarifi

KABUL -- Achter Mohammed was expecting quite a different kind of welcome when he returned home to Afghanistan from 15 months of exile in Iran. But what mattered to the Uzbek warlords in power in his hometown was that he was an ethnic Pashtun, and probably had brought back some money from work in Iran.

Three Uzbek commanders took Achter Mohammed straight from the bus to their military base and began beating him with heavy wooden sticks, repeatedly leaving him unconscious. They stole everything he had worked so hard for in Iran, including his presents for his family. When they finally released him, he returned home to find everything there gone, too. 

Fourteen-year-old Fatima had begged the Hazara soldiers not to rape her, saying she was young and a virgin. One of the soldiers threatened her with his gun, ordering her to undress or be killed. Two different soldiers raped her, and then three others raped her mother. The mother asked why the soldiers were doing these things. She was told "You are Talibs and you are Pashtun." Before leaving, the soldiers beat Fatima's crippled father unconscious, and carried off all of the family's possessions. "There is nothing left for us; marriage and honor are gone," Fatima's mother told us.

For ethnic Pashtuns in northern Afghanistan, it is payback time. They are paying for the sins of the Taliban, simply because most of the Taliban leadership were also ethnic Pashtuns. In the past month, Human Rights Watch has visited dozens of Pashtun communities in northern Afghanistan, personally documenting the devastation. We visited village after village that had been stripped bare by ethnic militias who had sometimes even taken the window frames. We found case after case of beatings, looting, murders, extortion and sexual violence against Pashtun communities.

In one village 37 men had been killed in front of their families because they did not have enough money to buy their own lives. Many of the villages were like ghost towns, abandoned by hundreds of Pashtun families after weeks or months of attacks. And the violence has not stopped. Our sudden arrival scared off two armed Uzbek men who had come to extort money from the Pashtun elders in one village in Faryab province. In Samangan province, 200 miles away, a village elder had been forced to give up his flock of sheep to a local commander the morning of our visit.

"Armed political factions in northern Afghanistan are subjecting ethnic Pashtuns to murder, beating, sexual violence, abductions, looting, and extortion"

"The factions clearly can stop the abuses by their local troops when they choose to, but given their past record, it would be foolhardy to rely on them to restore security and protect human rights."

"In Balkh province, ethnic Hazara Hizb-i-Wahdat forces were involved in several execution-style murders of Pashtun villagers."

Human Rights Watch, Mar.3, 2002

Quoo-ray sha quadou sarre.................
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2006 at 22:27
I don't really know much about this conflict, but it appears that the same thing which occurs in other ethnic wars is also occured here: imposing one's superiority on another people through sexual violence against their women. The Taliban may have openly declared a strict adherance to sexual niceties of the faith, but like any other human beings their soldiers are still subject to temptations of the flesh.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2006 at 00:10
Viveks intentions here were not to display the talibans wickedness, but to accuse Pakistan for them. Very transperent old chap.
annechka View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote annechka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2006 at 11:27
or Viveks intentions were to expose hypocrisy where it exists. 
but I cant read Viveks' mind,  can you Sparten?

The assertions in this article do not surprise me, but saddens me immensely as does the post with regard to payback for the Pashtuns.

because as Constantine said 'soldiers are still subject to temptations of the flesh'.  

Now what is interesting is that it is expected behaviour  that 'soldiers' can not control giving in to their temptations' even with the help their god be he Allah, Jehovah etc.

and yes these comments are applicable to this discussion!!!

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2006 at 12:04
I can't read Viveks mind, but I can read his posts, this and the ones before them.
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2006 at 12:57
Originally posted by annechka

or Viveks intentions were to expose hypocrisy where it exists. 
but I cant read Viveks' mind,  can you Sparten?

The assertions in this article do not surprise me, but saddens me immensely as does the post with regard to payback for the Pashtuns.

because as Constantine said 'soldiers are still subject to temptations of the flesh'.  

Now what is interesting is that it is expected behaviour  that 'soldiers' can not control giving in to their temptations' even with the help their god be he Allah, Jehovah etc.

and yes these comments are applicable to this discussion!!!

Not really. Sparten is bang on in what he says. But he (Vivek) probably also said it to negatively generalize about Islam - either way I dont think it's a highly principled stand, else he'd be quoting the numerous cases of rape by the Indian Army in Kashmir, or for that matter the huge amounts of rape not only by extremists in India itself - in fact the world over.

And this wasnt a case of payback. Atrocities like this were happening well before even the Taliban came into power by the other extremist groups. That's Afghanistan nowadays.

Edited by TeldeInduz - 08-Sep-2006 at 13:20
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2006 at 05:44
The whole world knows which are the countries where the women are least empowered & most exploited & also the cause of this. My thread was just to debate the state of affairs in a particular geography which is one of the most aggrieved.

I will not let myself be drawn into a meaning less discussion with some pakistani members (i still dont understand, what a pakistani is doing in paraguy) who are ready to start crying wolf, wolf at every drop of the hat. on the superiority of their country over India in all aspects. I wish to acknowledge their superiority over me & my country in all matters. I have no qualms in bowing down as it wont make me shorter or less dignified. Truth ultimately Prevails.

I dont suffer from any inferiority complex, that I should try to read allegations & motives behind any general post made. Neither does the status or image of my country depend on certification from any immature logic. The world knows the truth about India & whatever it may be, I respect that. My superiority is defined as my ability to meet  & decimate my problems, for my well being. As I understand this, I dont need to compare with anybody.

Although I am resourceful enough to be able to cite numerous examples, analogies & incidents, logically superior & in agreement with the present international opinion to counter the above claims / allegations / posts, I shall refrain from doing so for I realise its futility upon a trait called lack of maturity.

My understanding of the AE project & its significance is its being a multi-national, multi-cultural forum, it's our duty to rise above bilateral issues & partisan attitude & appreciate the human concerns with an objective of evolving an intellectual debate so as to lead to the betterment (or at least better understanding) of everybody.

The objective of this thread is  to highlight the history of suffering of the Afghan women & I shall request the members to kindly observe decorum & to the topic.

My paki friends need not stress themselves further, as I have already conceded defeat to them. Rejoice in your victory & feel good, but please stick to the spirit of the subject.

Edited by Vivek Sharma - 11-Sep-2006 at 05:59
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 02:30
I'll answer the rest later, but as for the Paraguay bit, its a bit of a tradition on AE to sele t a location other than where you are from. Paul for instance is not from North Korea.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 03:32
Well, then I guess, I should also change my location. I may go for US or Israel as these are the countries I admire. Thanks for informing me about the tradition.

BTW I was so far under the impression that you are actually from pakistan. Where are you from ?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 05:39
I am from Pakistan and thats my location. BTW Vivek, be adventurous, chose Ghana or something.

I used to have Ivory Coast once.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 07:26
Belive me US is really adventure & at times it can be very funny too.
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 18:50
Spartan be honst, weren't no Pakistani fighters among Talibans? for sure they were, and we know what they have done to afghans. But no one will judg here that Pakis people are wicked and vail. Not all of them. Come on you know that in all socities there are people who are able to do crime. Why should The Pakis be by way on an exception?
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 23:13

Originally posted by Maziar

Spartan be honst, weren't no Pakistani fighters among Talibans? for sure they were, and we know what they have done to afghans. But no one will judg here that Pakis people are wicked and vail. Not all of them. Come on you know that in all socities there are people who are able to do crime. Why should The Pakis be by way on an exception?

I think you misunderstand what he's saying. He's not saying that there were zero Pakistani fighters in the Taliban, there were some, but the majority were Afghani fighters. The Pakistanis in the Taliban were probably the same in number as the central Asians, Chechen, Arabs, Africans. It's possible the account is true, and noone is denying you get criminals in Pakistani society - I havent got a clue how you got this impression that he was saying there were zero Pakistanis in the Taliban from the dialogue so far Confused 

Spartan be honst, weren't no Pakistani fighters among Talibans? for sure they were, and we know what they have done to afghans.

Since you brought it up, the answer is no, the Taliban was not comprised of Pakistanis. A definite minority of fighters, yes (JUI supporters), but the majority of the Taliban were Afghanis - even Uzbek, central Asians, Russians, Africans, almost from all over the world. The commanders were all Afghani (a lot were refugees in Pakistan due to the Soviet invasion and got training there). You had a lot of nationalities in the Taliban basically, but the majority were Afghani. There was a Pakistani connection in that these Afghani fighters fled the Soviet invasion to Pakistan and some of them were refugees in Pakistan who decided to go back. These are not Pakistanis in my opinion, they're Afghanis who have every right to go back. That's my opinion, would be interesting to hear Sparten's, but you can also hear what Benazir Bhutto's opinion was.

Benazir Bhutto: The Taliban were actually students in university who decided to go back to Afghanistan after the Russians left. My reports were that the Taliban were being welcomed by the people and that they were building peace. Initially we thought the Taliban was a stabilizing force. My government was keen to establish ties with Central Asia, so we were quite pleased and we encouraged them initially.... We wanted to import wheat and export cotton to Central Asia and wanted a route that would give us access to Central Asia through Kandahar [where the Taliban is headquartered]. We were trying to bypass Kabul and establish an enclave in the south. The Taliban were supposed to give us safe passage.

If you dont believe Bhutto either, then try the American DEA

Composition

The Taliban are primarily composed of Sunni Muslims belonging to Afghanistans ethnic Pashtun majority, while those opposed to the Taliban represent other ethnic groups or include Shiite Muslims.

But small amounts of Taliban soldiers were from all over the world

Edited by TeldeInduz - 14-Sep-2006 at 23:16
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 23:35
All what i try to say is, that there were Pakis among Taliban. You agree? and i didn't misunderstand him (i hope), i know that he knows about Pakis member in Taliban, and i feel he doesn't like that someone say that. What i mean is, he knows the truth, but he won't accept someone talks about it. Maybe i am wrong, but after i have read Spartans post this idea came trough my mind.
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 23:38

The whole world knows which are the countries where the women are least empowered & most exploited & also the cause of this. My thread was just to debate the state of affairs in a particular geography which is one of the most aggrieved.

If this is a reference to India & Pakistan, I can say with complete confidence that Pakistani women are more empowered and less exploited than Indian women Wink. For a start you could look politically.

Number of women in Indian parliament ('04) - 8.8% link
Number of women in Pakistani parliament ('04) = 21.6% link

In fact rank wise India comes in 104th and Pak a bit higher.

Edited by TeldeInduz - 14-Sep-2006 at 23:44
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 23:46
Originally posted by Maziar

All what i try to say is, that there were Pakis among Taliban. You agree? and i didn't misunderstand him (i hope), i know that he knows about Pakis member in Taliban, and i feel he doesn't like that someone say that. What i mean is, he knows the truth, but he won't accept someone talks about it. Maybe i am wrong, but after i have read Spartans post this idea came trough my mind.

Alright, you have this out with him, I don't see how he was suggesting there was zero Pakistanis or other foreigners in the Taliban. there were some, not many though, but as you'd expect in such a broad Islamist movement.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 01:04
I was not suggesting that there were zero Pakistanis in the Taliban. My point was that to suggest that it was an alien movement as some are wont to do is absolutly not bourne out buy the facts.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 01:42
Originally posted by TeldeInduz

If this is a reference to India & Pakistan, I can say with complete confidence that Pakistani women are more empowered and less exploited than Indian women Wink. For a start you could look politically.

Number of women in Indian parliament ('04) - 8.8% link
Number of women in Pakistani parliament ('04) = 21.6% link

In fact rank wise India comes in 104th and Pak a bit higher.

I reiterate, the whole world knows the truth. In India we dont force women to go out in the Burkha. our law does'nt ask a raped woman to furnish four male eye witnesses  to prove her claim.

How many Pak women are allowed to participate in sports, beauty contests, How many pak women are at the top of corporate world. Show the % of educated pak women.

Dear telde, grow up. I admire your patriotism,  but learn to respect world opinion. The whole world cannot be wrong.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>