Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mirwais Khan Hotak's Vengeance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mirwais Khan Hotak's Vengeance
    Posted: 28-Jul-2007 at 14:12
Originally posted by MarcoPolo

Ok.I know this is highly immature &irresponsible.. kho. ghafaa--kigii maaa.!

hotak... khotak..... khotay...

LOL  lol!!

ya.. i know.. i think i might have a few screws loose.. my friends tell me all the time..

Your absolutely right, that was very immature and irresponsible.  But you know Mirwais Khan Hotak had to have some big khute to destroy the Safavids and sit at the throne in Isfahan.

anyhow, on a mature note.. Its interesting to read up on all this history.  Its too bad they dont teach us abt Mirwais Khan Hotak  in our history curriculum and I did abt 2 yrs of history!!  but for some reason there's a lot of emphasis on poets! like Rahman Baba, Khushal Khan Khattak (I think Afghanan is going to like me for this one!!lol), Allama Iqbal, Rumi, Omar khaiyam..  but we have touched on a few great military leaders like Sher Shah Suri, Mahmud of Ghaznavi, Babur, Alexander, Ahmed Shah Abdali, Mohammed Bin Qasim etc.. so i think if those topics come up. i can add something a lil more serious!

Also, a lil side note, I wonder if someone can offer some insight.  I have a friend of mine who sometimes visits me from Iran.  His last name is Ghanderi.. and I asked abt the history behind his name.. he wasnt quite sure, but thought maybe his forefathers might of come from Ghandara (near Swat/Malakand) or Kandahar.. I thought.. mm.. thats plausible.. as I know that many Pashtun tribes were resettled by the persian but i've only heard of resettlements of Kandaharis to NW Afghanistan (i.e. Herat).. not all the way to Tehran.. our other theory is that maybe since much of the region of Afghanistan and Pakistan was under Persian rule or cultural influence it may be possible that his family shifted to modern day Iran some time back.. Also, I've also read somewhere, that at one point, many of the people of Ghandara settled in the locality of Kandahar and gave it its name (there are several stories as to the origin of the name Kandahar, this is just one)

Thats very possible.  The thing about Kandahar is some Parsiwans, Uzbekan, and Afghans refer to it as "Qandahar." Persians refer to anything with a qaaf instead with a ghaein, hence "Ghandahar."  HOWEVER,  it could also be a corruption of Iskandari.    So who knows, its very possible he is "Qandari.  There is archaeological evidence to show that Gandharis moved to Kandahar, there is even Buddhist relics from Gandhara in Kandahar.  The biggest of which was a giant Bowl with Buddhist inscriptions said to be from Gandhara that was transported there by monks.  Apparently they left Gandhara because of some Invasion, though I can't remember  who it was, maybe the Ephtalites (who hated Buddhism initially).

There is also a commercial I see all the time on Afghani channels and Iranian channels for "Alekozai" tea.  Alekozai (Afghan Durrani tribe) many say is a corruption of "Arokozi" (ancient Arachosia), hence from Kandahar region as well.  Mirwais Khan Hotak settled many of his troops in Isfahan and other cities he conquered in Khorassan.  As did Ahmad Shah Abdali, and so did Amir Abdur Rahman Khan when he was in Bukhara under the Khan's protection.

The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2007 at 14:13
* double post.

Edited by Afghanan - 28-Jul-2007 at 14:14
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2007 at 14:37
He didn't destroy the Safavids, that was Nader Shah when he cut the strings loose from his puppet and claimed the throne for himself.
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2007 at 13:51
The Puppets were just that puppets, were they not?  Not the real Safavids.  It was the Safavid army defeat in Khorassan that put the last nail in the coffin for Safavid power.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
mkdk View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote mkdk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2007 at 23:25
sorry but who are the pashtuns and where did they came from? as far as i know majority of pashtuns are from pakistan and a small gruop (compared to pakistan) are in afghanistan.. so where did they came from in first hand..
thx
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2007 at 17:57
Mkdk,

Not sure where you get your information from, but Pashtuns are not 'from' Pakistan.  They exist in both Afghanistan and Pakistan and are said to be descendants of many nomadic groups in the country -> Scythians/Iranics, and Turkics.  They make up the largest ethnic group in Afghanistan, and a considerable ethno-linguistic group in Pakistan.

No real census has ever been done to see how many Pashtuns there are, but it is said roughly 40 million today.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2007 at 18:30
mkdk View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote mkdk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2007 at 23:32

got a classmate who is a pakistanian pashtun and he told me that.. i found this

پښتون Pashtun
Total population

40 to 45 million

Regions with significant populations
 Pakistan 28 million (2005)
 Afghanistan 13.39 million (2006)
 United Arab Emirates 126,000 (2000)
 Iran 113,000 (1993)
 United Kingdom 87,000 (1986)
 United States 17,000 (2001)
 India 13,000 (2001)

it seems like that he was right, the majority of pashtuns are from or living in  pakistan.

Edited by mkdk - 29-Sep-2007 at 23:41
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2007 at 11:50

Mkdk - Wikipedia is hardly the scholarly article it claims it is.  Secondly, I'll say it again:

There is no CREDIBLE census in Afghanistan as how many Pashtuns there are, and Pashtuns are not from Pakistan, they were there before Pakistan and Afghanistan and will be there after Pakistan and Afghanistan. 
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
mkdk View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote mkdk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2007 at 21:04
hmm then i hope that u guys get your own country one day..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12