Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Finest Army of the 20th Century

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Poll Question: Japanese Army 1905
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [1.89%]
15 [5.66%]
78 [29.43%]
61 [23.02%]
82 [30.94%]
21 [7.92%]
3 [1.13%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finest Army of the 20th Century
    Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 16:14
Based on achievement, which army do you think was the finest force the last century saw and why?
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 16:20
the Japanese army was put in the poll question and left out of the count.
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 20:21
And what about the American Army?  U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Member of IAEA
mongke View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote mongke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 20:42
Israely army edging out the Wehrmacht of 1940. The actual name is the IDF.
hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote hannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 21:56

Vietnamese Army 1979?

In which battle? Vietnamese army was a student of PLA at that time.

Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
Eternal biggest enemy of Rome.
hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote hannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 22:02

Originally posted by Genghis

En,U-S-A...helicopters, cannons...I vote USA for the best-equipped army!

Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote hannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 22:10
In a battle of 1905 war,Japanese lost more than ten thousand men in order to take a Russian stronghold in LvShun.  Russian only lost several hundred men.  God! Do you think they are the best?  Maybe their soliders at that time were good. But the general was a fool.
Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 22:14

And what about the American Army? U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

thats funny. Ill go with the SS
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 22:14
i have to say israel, not because they are powerfull but i dont know of any army in the 20th century that took on 6 countries and took a triumphant victory
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 22:24

Originally posted by Catt

thats funny. Ill go with the SS

Are you being sarcastic?

Member of IAEA
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 00:23

Originally posted by hannibal

In a battle of 1905 war,Japanese lost more than ten thousand men in order to take a Russian stronghold in LvShun.  Russian only lost several hundred men.  God! Do you think they are the best?  Maybe their soliders at that time were good. But the general was a fool.

no, that was how wars from Crimea through WWI turned out, attackers have a very large disadvantage, this same disparity of figures is obvious in many conflicts of the time.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 00:25
and yes, in the 20th century the US army is clearly the one with the best track record. Not to edge out the rapid betterment of the Russian army through WW2 though.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 04:57

Are you being sarcastic?

i can see now that it look sarcastic but it wasnt

... i actually pictured you in my head with those sunglasses chanting USA.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 07:59
I think the Soviet Red Army was one of the strongest armies ever. They widened russian lands to Turkmenistan in the south, and poland to the west! It is a great success for an army such as the Red Army...

Edited by Oguzoglu
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 12:12

Pancho Villa's Army and his Division Del Norte weren't a professional army. Despites Villa had foreing mercenaries and the service of professional militars as Felipe Angeles. La Division del Norte was formed by average persons from the north of Mexico countryside.

Villa had a fine cavalry.

The medical services were procured by the wives and girlfriends of the soldiers.
The mexican women has been always present in every mexican war.

La Division del Norte faced several bloody battles as the capture of Zacatecas. It was a 5 years old militar unit, never defeated till April 6, 1915.

Obregon and the Ejercito Constitucionalista blocked the advance of Villa from Salamanca towards Celaya.

Villa commanded a 50,000 men force. He had a Guard of men chosen because their courage and valor on battle. They were known as "Los Dorados".

source: http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110001695

Hollywood even glamorized him in a movie filmed on location with Villa's cooperation. But then the gringos turned on Villa. President Wilson decided that the U.S. had to have stability south of the border, and the man most likely to deliver it was Venustiano Carranza, notwithstanding his well-advertised antipathy to the U.S. On October 19, 1915, Wilson extended de facto recognition to the Carranza government and placed an embargo on all arms shipments to anti-Carrancista forces.

Two weeks later, on November 1, 1915, Villa's forces attacked Agua Prieta, in the state of Sonora, just across the border from Douglas, Arizona. Villa thought that this isolated Carrancista garrison would be easy picking. He was dismayed to find a powerful force entrenched behind barbed wire and machine gun nests. His men were repulsed with heavy losses. He later learned that President Wilson had allowed the Carrancistas to move reinforcements into Agua Prieta across U.S. territory. Pancho Villa began to focus his formidable faculty for hatred on the Colossus of the North.

As usual, Villa's rage found murderous expression. On January 10, 1916, a band of Villistas stopped a train near the town of Santa Isabel, Chihuahua. They robbed all the passengers but did not harm the Mexicans. Seventeen American mining engineers aboard the train were executed. Less than two months later came the raid on Columbus.

Villa's reasons for the attack remain mysterious. Multiple explanations have been mooted: He was driven by irrational hatred of Americans; he was trying to punish Sam Ravel, owner of Columbus's Commercial Hotel, to whom he had given money to buy arms that had never been delivered; he was hoping to steal war supplies and loot from Columbus; he was a pawn in a German conspiracy to provoke a war between the U.S. and Mexico (there is evidence that such a German plot did exist, but no evidence that it influenced Villa's actions). There is probably some truth in most of these explanations, but his foremost biographer, Friedrich Katz, argues that Villa's dominant motive may have been more cunning: He apparently wanted to provoke the U.S. into a limited intervention. Villa figured that such an incursion would discredit the Carranza regime just as the occupation of Veracruz had discredited Huerta, and allow Villa to rally patriotic sentiment to his side. As a captured Villista officer told an Irish correspondent, Villa "said he wanted to make some attempts to get intervention from the gringos before they were ready and while we still had time to become a nation."

If this was Villa's intent, the attack worked as planned.

JiNaRen View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote JiNaRen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 15:13
Originally posted by hannibal

Vietnamese Army 1979?

In which battle? Vietnamese army was a student of PLA at that time.

Vietnam was being invaded by China at that time.  They lost over 100,000 troops (compared to approximately 20,000 chinese casualties) and ended in political defeat(USSR had a military pact with Vietnam, the war broke the pack because USSR did nothing).
Mr Bobo View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Mr Bobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 22:02

Wehrmacht.

the USA r well equiped but porly trained, there not much compared to the armies of Nazi Germany, and since its based on acheivement anyways.. 

"A child of five would understand this, send someone to fetch a child of five"
Mr Bobo View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Mr Bobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 22:04
btw is ther somthing wrong with the poll?..you can vote twice
"A child of five would understand this, send someone to fetch a child of five"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2004 at 02:39

Red Army 1945 of course!

But I like the People's liberation Army too.

Bryan View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2004 at 14:24

Well, maybe it's not up there because friend Paul doesn't particularly care for the US much (from personal observations, no offense intended), hmm? Bah, out of what is up there, I think I'll go with... eeni-meenie-minie-moe... erm, Israel.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>