Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Tomb Of Philip ll

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Tomb Of Philip ll
    Posted: 03-Sep-2006 at 00:16

The royal tomb excavated in 1977 in Aegean Macedonia near Salonica, was at first believed to be the one of Philip II. However, it was later proven that the tomb dates from around 317 BC, suggesting that it belonged to king Philip III Arrhidaeus, the son of Philip II and half-brother of Alexander the Great.

In my opinion, since King Philip ll was in fact at that time, the greatest King in Macedonian history, his REAL tomb would have been looted to the point of no recognition. I think that it is only natural that his final resting place to be lost forever, in fact, i think that it would be nearly impossible to find the final resting places of many very important leaders. What are your thoughts and opinions?

xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2006 at 09:47
I have heard also that the tomb may not be of the well known Philip II but of somebody else. About the actual tomb I wouldn't say it is certainly looted. Such tombs are of course very often looted, but there is always a chance to found intact. The fact that Philip II was one of the greatest rulers of macedonia doesn't change this fact.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2006 at 23:25
Originally posted by xristar

I have heard also that the tomb may not be of the well known Philip II but of somebody else. About the actual tomb I wouldn't say it is certainly looted. Such tombs are of course very often looted, but there is always a chance to found intact. The fact that Philip II was one of the greatest rulers of macedonia doesn't change this fact.

True indeed.
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2006 at 08:27
The hypothesis that the Royal Tomb was not from the Philip II but belong in to Philip III initial started from paleoanthropologist Antonis Bartsiokas of the Anaximandrian Institute of Human Evolution at the Democritus University of Thrace in Voula, Greece, and assistant professor at the Democritus who used a technique called macrophotography to study the skeleton in meticulous detail, the features identified by Musgrave, Prag, and Neave are simply normal anatomical quirks, accentuated by the effects of cremation and a poor reassembly of the remains.More in

Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 01:34
Originally posted by akritas

The hypothesis that the Royal Tomb was not from the Philip II but belong in to Philip III initial started from paleoanthropologist Antonis Bartsiokas of the Anaximandrian Institute of Human Evolution at the Democritus University of Thrace in Voula, Greece, and assistant professor at the Democritus who used a technique called macrophotography to study the skeleton in meticulous detail, the features identified by Musgrave, Prag, and Neave are simply normal anatomical quirks, accentuated by the effects of cremation and a poor reassembly of the remains.More in

Yes, i have read a lot about that, and i find it to be very fascinating.
 Post Reply Post Reply