Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Meaning of country names.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meaning of country names.
    Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 03:39
Originally posted by Ptolemy

Egypt, comes from the Greek word Aegyptos, which I have no idea why they called it that..

Nobody knows for sure any more! Depending on the root words that you choose it can mean either "sunburned" (sounds logical), or "goat-fall" (connected to the milkyway that was represented as the Nile?- a bit far-stretched but who knows?).

Most of the words we use about Egypt are Greek and they have fun origins as well. So "obelisk" was a type of small spit that was used in Greece for meat cooking (something like "souvlaki":-). When the Greeks saw the huge Egyptian "Obelisks" (who knows what the Egyptians called them?) they thought they resembled meat-sticks and humorously named them "Obeliskos"

(Obelias = spit, obeliskos = small spit)

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 04:47

The name "Turkey" was obviously given to anatolia when the crusaders arrived. When they came they saw turks living all over anatolia and turk culture dominat between the anatolians, so they called these lands turkey...

Romano Nero View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Romano Nero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 05:21
Originally posted by Yiannis

Most of the words we use about Egypt are Greek and they have fun origins as well. So "obelisk" was a type of small spit that was used in Greece for meat cooking (something like "souvlaki":-). When the Greeks saw the huge Egyptian "Obelisks" (who knows what the Egyptians called them?) they thought they resembled meat-sticks and humorously named them "Obeliskos"

(Obelias = spit, obeliskos = small spit)

Kebab-stone?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 08:06
Originally posted by mongke

Dam we should have named it as such. The actual name of Mexico is the United States of Mexico.

It's United Mexican States, that's not the same

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 17:34

Since I live here, and the country does tend to get overlooked, I'd better add that Luxembourg is named after the capital city Luxembourg*, which derives from Lucilinburhuc, Alleman Frankish for 'little castle'.

It's interesting the French call Germany 'Allemagne' after the Alleman Franks, and the Germans call France Frankreich meaning Empire of the Franks also after the Alleman Franks, when the Alleman Franks were one tribe, and the only little bit of Europe that still remains of their realm is Luxembourg.

*Note noted for their imagnination, Luxembourgers. And I get bored with people thinking something is wrong when I say my address ends 'Luxembourg Luxembourg'

Mr Bobo View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Mr Bobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 22:29
The name 'Australia' dates back to 2nd Century AD legends of an "unknown southern land"  ("terra australis incognita"). Matthew Flinders (English Explorer) named the land "Terra Australis" which eventually mutated into 'Australia'. If the Dutch had stayed on in Australia (they were here before the english) , it'd now be called "New Holland".
"A child of five would understand this, send someone to fetch a child of five"
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2004 at 11:07

Mexico comes from the Nahuatl.
It means, in the middle of the moon.
Regards
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2004 at 15:49

Scotland is rather obviously the land of the Scots.

Only interesting because the Scots came from Ireland.

Norway is the sea route to the North: any other countries named after a stretch of water? NB it's sometimes said it means 'land of the Norse' but that's a copout.  Iceland however is the land of ice, and Finland the land of the Finns. Denmark is the field of the Danes (although 'mark' comes to mean 'outlying' or 'bordering' land), and I have no idea where Sweden - Sverige - comes from.

By the way, in Denmark don't avoid saying CopenhAYgen because it's the English name. Don't say CopenhAAgen unless you want them to think you're German. Try Kerpenhaan if you want to be polite; in fact K'penhaan is better if you can put the stress on the apostrophe.

Portugal comes from the Roman name for Oporto, Portus Cale apparently, so something Gate or Port.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2004 at 17:59
Originally posted by Jalisco Lancer

Mexico comes from the Nahuatl.
It means, in the middle of the moon.
Regards

It's a very remarkable name.
why do people call a country on earth 'middle of the moon'?
Ptolemy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Ptolemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2004 at 21:36

Originally posted by Tobodai

I thought it was spelled 'Misr'

I think having a 'ma' sound is more accurate, but I'm no expert.

Yiannis, I find it interesting that the Greeks gave many countries and lands names, but it was the Romans who named Greece (at least for all non-Greeks).

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2004 at 21:40
Originally posted by gcle2003

Scotland is rather obviously the land of the Scots.

Only interesting because the Scots came from Ireland.

Actually Scot is quite interesting for the same reason as the earlier Welsh example. The Scots cal l themselves Gaels, Scot is the English name for them and it roughly translates to barbarian in the Angle tongue.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
John Doe View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote John Doe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2004 at 23:17
I thought the term Scot came from an Irish tribe called Scotti, based in the island off North-East Ireland.

They migrated/invaded Western Scotland (home of the Picts in the north and Brythonic Celts in the south)

Eventually, the kingdom became known as Scotland.
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2004 at 04:25

Yiannis, I find it interesting that the Greeks gave many countries and lands names, but it was the Romans who named Greece (at least for all non-Greeks).

Ha,ha! Indeed, that was a clever observation, I haven't thought of it that way, but you're absolutelly right!

Ironic, isn't it?

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2004 at 09:22
Austria is the English version of sterreich, which
means Eastern kingdom, Eastern land. I think that
name came about in the 1200s, when the Pope
granted the land to the Babenberger kings to defend
Christiandom against the Turks.

Israel: Wrestles-with-God. Jacob's nickname.

Ecuador is named after the Equator. Quito, the
capital, is named after the Quitus-Caras, who were
the rulers of that area before the Incas conquered
them. The Inca Empire is properly known as
Tawantinsuyo, the Four-Part Empire. Cuzco, its
capital, means "navel."

Yugoslavia is South-Slavland, the southernmost
extent of Slavic people.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2004 at 10:56

Originally posted by John Doe

I thought the term Scot came from an Irish tribe called Scotti, based in the island off North-East Ireland.

They migrated/invaded Western Scotland (home of the Picts in the north and Brythonic Celts in the south)

Eventually, the kingdom became known as Scotland.

It's very possible the word Scot found it's way into English from Latin. The Romans would very definately have thought of the Scotti as barbarians. Nowadays we use the tribal names of Vandal and Visigoth to mean uncivilised behaviour in modern English, probably deriving from Roman influence. Perhaps the Anglo-Saxons did the same back then with Scotti.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2004 at 13:12

Originally posted by Tobodai

I thought it was spelled 'Misr'

I think having a 'ma' sound is more accurate, but I'm no expert.

The arabic word is "Msr" for egypt.

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2004 at 15:18
Iran: [Airyana=Airia(Aryan)+Ana(way)] = Land of Aryans
Afghanistan: [Afghan(Shout) + Istan(Land)] = Land of people who speak loudly
Pakistan: [Pak(Pure) + Istan(Land)] = Land of Pure (Muslims)
India: [Hindustan=Hindu(Sindh) + Istan(Land)] = Land of people who live beside Sindh (Indus) river
Georgia: [Gorgistan=Gorj(?)+ Istan(Land)] = Land of Gorjs
Tajikistan: [Taj(Crown) + ik(Head) + Istan(Land)] = Land of people who wear crown on their head
Azerbaijan: [Azerbaigan=Azer(Fire)+Baigan(Place)] = Land of Fire
Armenia: [Aramnistan=Aramn(Peace)+Istan(Land)] = Land of Peace
Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2004 at 10:52

Armenia: [Aramnistan=Aramn(Peace)+Istan(Land)] = Land of Peace

The land can be peaceful,but the people certainly aren't.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2004 at 14:38
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Pakistan: [Pak(Pure) + Istan(Land)] = Land of Pure (Muslims)

I thought the name Pakistan was derived from the thirst characters of the three main Pakistani Regions: Punjab, someting with an A and Kashmir + istan.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2004 at 15:17
There are multiple versions of why Pakistan is named the way it is.
What is for sure is that the name was first coined by some guy called Chudaray something or other (whilst sitting in a double decker bus in London so the tale goes), back in the 1920/30s or so, and he envisioned each individual letter representing something, he wanted a full seperate Muslim India, needless to say, he died dissapointed. From here comes the simplified version, the p = Punjabi, A = Afghan, K = Kashmiri, and the istan bit representing Baluchistan.
In addition to that of course, Pak means pure in both Persian, and Urdu (official language of Pakistan), and land of the pure sounds pretty spiffy if you're building an Islamic republic, though i'm not sure if Chudaray had this in mind when he coinded the name.

Now, as for what the official version is (bare in mind that various founders of Pakistan had squables with each other), well i'm not sure, but i sometimes get the impression that there are several, or that it has changed, or that different people and different Pakistanis even all think that their version is best.
Arrrgh!!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>