Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Meaning of country names.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Author
BlueDragonRider7 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BlueDragonRider7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meaning of country names.
    Posted: 15-May-2006 at 03:35

Originally posted by Azeriturko

Azerbaijan=comes from greek ''Atropatan'', wich means ---->The land of fire

I don't think that you would need to go all the way to Greece to find the root of the word Azerbaijan ...when In Persian Azer/Azar means Fire and Baijan is reffered to a land or field of ....

"Keep on daydreaming 'til your dreams come true"
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2006 at 05:34

Originally posted by RomiosArktos

Are you sure that El means light in Greek?Interesting etymology anyway!!
I thought however that the name Hellas was derived from a Greek tribe that was living next to the oracle of Dodoni in Epirus,the Selli tribe.I am not sure though.

The most popular explanation of this name is "land of light". One possible version is that  "Hellas" derived from the tribe "Selli", but the name of this tribe is connected with the word "selini" (moon) or the "selas" (polar aurora), which both have the meaning of light.

"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Quote Digenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2006 at 09:35
Originally posted by BlueDragonRider7

Originally posted by Azeriturko

Azerbaijan=comes from greek ''Atropatan'', wich means ---->The land of fire

I don't think that you would need to go all the way to Greece to find the root of the word Azerbaijan ...when In Persian Azer/Azar means Fire and Baijan is reffered to a land or field of ....

Atropatan ?  I nwhich greek dialect ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213