Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Meaning of country names.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
Author
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meaning of country names.
    Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 11:43
Originally posted by cg rommel

i think it would be more logical if they name iceland greenland, and named greenland iceland .....

greenland -yes, very interessting to see the origin .
Erik Thorwaldsson, named Erik the Red, a son of a norwegian settler , lived in the north of iceland. he was a firebrand ,and so after killing two sons of his neighbor ,he was convicted by the Thing ( court) to a three year exile. in 982a.D. he set sail to the west and reached the southwest of an unexplored island. after three years he travelled back to iceland. and erik did ,what modern advertisers do as well. he discribed the island in shining colours.and at least , to find new settlers , he called  the island "greenland". that's nearly the same as you would discribe the n.y. bronx as an area of peace and harmony or mexiko city as a climatic spa or even reykjavik as a turbulent metropolis. but erik's trick worked and 700 people accompanied him to greenland ,330 km away from iceland.
the son of Erik , Leif Eriksson , used the same trick ,after he travelled to newfounland and was the first european in america ,he named it Vinland ,wat means Wineland.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2006 at 14:45
Well, I would start my 'career' in this forum with a simple quiz. There is a state in the Europe, and in the EU, where there is a city, the written name of which in their language literally means "The Castle of the Ash-Monkeys".
Tell me te state and tell me the city.
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2006 at 03:31
Giblaltar?
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 14:50
Aschaffenburg, Germany. The written name, because they pronuncate the City name a bit different - with pressure on "schaf"-part, instead of "asch"-part. Originally it was Ascaphaburc, by the location of the Castle. During the yearhundreds it has changed to produce such strange result.

ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 15:20
Originally posted by parakaru

Well, I would start my 'career' in this forum with a simple quiz. There is a state in the Europe, and in the EU, where there is a city, the written name of which in their language literally means "The Castle of the Ash-Monkeys".

well ,your careerstar seems not to be acompanied by a good star, cause your translation was totaly wrong. Aschaffenburg must be translated in to Ass-Monkey Castle. And have you ever heared about the lovely Jacob Sisters,who had a chart-breaker with the song :Auf dem wege nach Aschaffenburg ,da brannten alle Affen durch -means On way the way to A** Monkey Castly ,the escape of the monkeys was vastly..

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 16:04
Originally posted by ulrich von hutten

Originally posted by parakaru

Well, I would start my 'career' in this forum with a
simple quiz. There is a state in the Europe, and in the EU, where there
is a city, the written name of which in their language literally means
"The Castle of the Ash-Monkeys".

well ,your careerstar seems not to be acompanied by a good star,
cause your translation was totaly wrong. Aschaffenburg must be
translated in to Ass-Monkey Castle. And have you ever heared about the
lovely Jacob Sisters,who had a chart-breaker with the song :Auf dem
wege nach Aschaffenburg ,da brannten alle Affen durch -means On way the
way to A** Monkey Castly ,the escape of the monkeys was vastly..

It seems like I should have given you German-English dictionary for Xmas.
"Asch-Affen-Bug" of course means "castle of the ash-monkeys", while the term "ass-monkey-castle" you propose would correctly be translated as "Arsch-Affen-Burg".
Considering the town is somewhere in the deep south of Germany that might have been the original meaning, and the "r" might have been dropped sometime in the past.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 16:19
deep south? i should have given you a Strassenatlas as christmas present!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 02:55
Originally posted by mongke

Originally posted by Winterhaze13

There is a funny story about the origin of Canada. When Jacques Cartier came to Canada he mistook the world "Kanata", as being a native nation like the ojibwa, but the native who he was talking to was refering to a village. So the word "Kanata", which eventually evolved into Canada means village. Nice story I think.

Yeah as far as I am concerned Canada is a village compared to the US.

which we also own .. and gonna sell it soon
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 02:59
Originally posted by Ellinas

Hellas (Greece) means land of light as already some mentioned.

some mentioned?? it is ok to say it .. it was a Turk who mentioned it ...
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 03:04

Mexico means " in the middle of the moon ".
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 03:13

and yea i see some people couldnt figure out where Turk came from..

it comes from word ( turuk ) verb ( turemek ) ...

we do multiply fast ... ( still dont believe in condoms...)

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 16:26
to ulrich von hutten:
"well ,your careerstar seems not to be acompanied by a good star, cause your translation was totaly wrong. Aschaffenburg must be translated in to Ass-Monkey Castle. "

Well, Komnenos has answered already good enough. And whilest i had my own schooltime in a school, especially centered on the german language, i think, i know well enough the difference between asch and arsch   

But it was interesting point about the Jacobs-Sisters. Really never heard about them. By the strophe you have given, seems to be a funny song.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 16:46
the town however has to be pronounced A-schaffenburg and not Asch-affenburg, the Asch and affen thing is just coincidence.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 06:24
Originally posted by Temujin

the town however has to be pronounced A-schaffenburg and not Asch-affenburg, the Asch and affen thing is just coincidence.

Well, as i said, "the written name".
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 10:17
Iraq means rots... which refers to that civilisation started there, so I have been told.
armenica View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote armenica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 07:20
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Iran: [Airyana=Airia(Aryan)+Ana(way)] = Land of Aryans
Afghanistan: [Afghan(Shout) + Istan(Land)] = Land of people who speak loudly
Pakistan: [Pak(Pure) + Istan(Land)] = Land of Pure (Muslims)
India: [Hindustan=Hindu(Sindh) + Istan(Land)] = Land of people who live beside Sindh (Indus) river
Georgia: [Gorgistan=Gorj(?)+ Istan(Land)] = Land of Gorjs
Tajikistan: [Taj(Crown) + ik(Head) + Istan(Land)] = Land of people who wear crown on their head
Azerbaijan: [Azerbaigan=Azer(Fire)+Baigan(Place)] = Land of Fire
Armenia: [Aramnistan=Aramn(Peace)+Istan(Land)] = Land of Peace

According to legend the leader of the Armenians was a man by the name of Hayk, whom the Armenians regard as their tribal father and therefore call themselves r “hay” (hay), i.e. the sons of Hayk, and their country Hayastan (the country of Hayk). Another more scientific explanation about the naming of the Armenian people is based on the original tribes which make up the presentday Armenian population. . The local people who lived in the area at the time of the arrival of the Indo-European tribes were called the Arme-Shupria people (the people of King Arame). The invading Indo-Europeans called themselves the Hayatsa people and came in time to dominate the Armenian highland and assimilate the Arme-Shuprias. Based on the names of these two people, the Armenians called themselves by the name of the dominant tribal name, i.e. “Hay” and the country Hayastan, while their neighbours called them by their old name: Armenians and their country Armenia. Another theory simply suggests that the name Armenian is a corruption of “Aryan men”, the name given by the natives to the newly arrived Indo-Europeans.

http://www.armenica.org/cgi-bin/history/en/getHistory.cgi? 1=999=9=23==1=3=A

Edited by armenica
Kamran the Great View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Kamran the Great Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2006 at 04:13
Iran, of course, means Land of the Aryans.
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 17:50
Hellas: [Ellas= El (=light) + las (=stone) = land of light
"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM
RomiosArktos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote RomiosArktos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 05:53
Are you sure that El means light in Greek?Interesting etymology anyway!!
I thought however that the name Hellas was derived from a Greek tribe that was living next to the oracle of Dodoni in Epirus,the Selli tribe.I am not sure though.
BlueDragonRider7 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote BlueDragonRider7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2006 at 03:23

AH! Most of this forum is a battle ground between the Macedonian and the Greek! My background is Persian and as far as I recall, Alexander is called "Esscandar-e- Maghdooni" in Persian ... which literally means Alexander of Macedonia! and farther more ... Mejmoon (Meymoon) meaning monkey as you would say is a Mecedonian word... well it's not! It's a Persian word ... Perhaps the Macedonians picked it up during their campaign in Iran from the Persian people... and to my fellow Iranian friend, Cyrus Shahmiri, what's all that non-sense about Macedonia being Egypt? I think it's all made up... anyway... I hope that everyone stop this stupid conflict between nations in here ... after all Alexander was not as glorious a character as they have made him... he was practically the Hitler of the ancient world... he was the first to burn many cities and books in Iran while he slaughtered Thousands of people. I would be ashamed to say that he was even related to any of my ancestors.

"Keep on daydreaming 'til your dreams come true"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>