Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Grey Cells - Exercise !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Grey Cells - Exercise !
    Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 17:49
Now its time for all you military experts to find a good strategy !
Ten of your troops has been taken prisoner and only YOU can save your POW's....

Your ten POW's are about to be executed. Although they don't like the idea, they are each selfless and want to do anything (even by sacrificing themselves) in order to help their fellow POW's.

They are told what will happen to them: They will each be lined up single file, so that they are each facing the POW in front of them. Each of them will be given a red or a white hat on their head. 
From the back of the line (the POW last in line, who can see everyone else) they will ask each POW to state his hat color, 'red' or 'white.' If he can state it correctly (noone can see his own hat, only those in front of him), he is allowed to live.

Knowing what is going to happen to them, they are allowed to deivse a strategy beforehand with your help.
How many POW's can you guarantee to save, and what strategy will you suggest to ensure this?
(There are NOT five reds and five whites necessarily!)

Edited by Northman - 28-Aug-2006 at 17:53
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 18:52
The guy at the back shouts the guy in front's hat colour. He has a 50/50 chance it will be his own too. The guy in front shouts what the guy behind said. They repeat this in pairs to the front of the line. 5 are guaranteed to live and 5 have a 50/50 chance.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 18:57
It's possible to save 9 POWs guarenteed.

The last guy in the line shouts out the color of all the hats in front of him. (or alternatively, send it through body message, etc.)
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 19:48
Paul

Its possible to do better than that.

Invictus

Any POW may only state what he thinks is the color of his own hat. So he cant state the color of all hats. 

Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 20:48
Assuming it isn't possible to communicate in any other way other than a binary "whte/red", then they're still guarenteed to save 9 POWs with the last guy in line at 50/50. Each guy behind states the color of the hat in front.

Edited by Imperator Invictus - 28-Aug-2006 at 20:57
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 21:56
You never said anything else about how they lined up other than, "single file, so that they are each facing the POW in front of them".

Alright then, Ten men. Lined up single file.

If they are allowed to talk to eachother during the process:

- each soldier tells the one in front the color of his hat. When asked by the captors what color each has on he would answer correctly except for the one at the very back.

or

If they are not allowed to talk during the process their plan could be to:

- line up ten men. In pairs they would face eachother. By looking into eachother's eyes they could see the color of the hats in the reflection. Then bingo.

or ...

Edited by Seko - 28-Aug-2006 at 22:03
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 02:25
Invictus

If the hats were placed red-white-red-white-red, and so on, they would all be wrong and executed.

Seko

Your first strategy seems good, but it doesnt work. Lets assume the guy backmost has a red hat in front of him, then he would state that color, red.
But if the guy with this guy with the red hat, has a white hat in front of him, he cant tell that without beeing doomed. 

They are all facing the same direction, and can only see what is in front of them, and they are only allowed to state one word - the color of their own hat, red or white. 

A hint - Invictus has the right answer, but as mentioned - the strategy doesnt work.
Its possible to save 9 plus one with a 50/50 chance - but how?

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 09:02
Ok, so the guy(s) in the back can't whisper, "Hey dude, your hat is white!" Then the guy with the white hat isn't allowed to cheat and say 'white'. Plus he is not allowed to whisper the correct color of the next guy in front of him.
Well, without that and without any other nonverbal clues they might be screwed. I was thinking they could say the opposite but that leads to nowhere too.

Now that you made my brain hurt, I hope you give us another clue to ease the pain.

Unless...

They are allowed to use a vocal inflection.

For example:

The poor guy piss'n his pants at the back of the line sees the color of the lucky fart directly in front of him. He could say the color in a particular slang (let's say north Amercian midwest English). White! That really means the guy in front has a white hat. Now when it comes to this next guys turn he has to say the correct color of his own hat in order to save his skin. Before he says it out loud, however, he notices the color of the next guy in front and gives him a clue too. If the other guy in front has a 'Red' hat then the guy behind says 'Wayt' with a southern twist. That is the preconcieved way of saying, "Dude, your hat is really Red but I'm saying it this way to give you a heads up and save my own hide in the process.

The same formula could be used for mentioning the color of a Red hat. To something like 'Rad'. Meaning I got a red hat on but the next guy's hat is really white. Lastly if the next guy and the guy behind both have red hats then they just say 'Red' with no accent.

Edited by Seko - 29-Aug-2006 at 09:27
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 09:30
Originally posted by Seko

Now that you made my brain hurt, I hope you give us another clue to ease the pain. 

All right - now its almost a giveaway...  LOL:

What is it exactly is it, the POW back in the line can see?
He can see his 9 fellow POW's with colored hats on.
Which information would be most useful for them, expressed in ONE word?

The poor guy piss'n his pants at the back of the line sees the color of the lucky fart directly in front of him. He could say the color in a particular slang (let's say north Amercian midwest English). White! That really means the guy in front has a white hat. Now when it comes to this next guys turn he has to say the correct color of his own hat in order to save his skin. Before he says it out loud, however, he notices the color of the next guy in front and gives him a clue too. If the other guy in front has a 'Red' hat then the guy behind says 'Wayt' with a southern twist. That is the preconcieved way of saying, "Dude, your hat is really Red but I'm saying it this way to give you a heads up and save my own hide in the process.

The same formula could be used for mentioning the color of a Red hat. To something like 'Rad'. Meaning I got a red hat on but the next guy's hat is really white. Lastly if the next guy and the guy behind both have red hats then they just say 'Red' with no accent.

Bravo - I really think that could work Seko - good thinking ClapClapClap

However, its not the strategy I have in mind which is more based on simple math (yet a hint) Wink

Edited by Northman - 29-Aug-2006 at 09:39
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 09:47
Thanks for easing the pressure that had been building up between my temples.

I thought that ingenious strategy of mine had a chance.

Now back to your clues,

- one word

- it's mathematical

I need to sort this one out.

Partial answer - The guy in the back would say a number. I get that much. What number(s)? Hmm. Help! Invictus, it's your turn!

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 10:00
I'm back from a brief hiatus to the men's room.

The guy at back counts the number of colored hats. The preconcieved trick discussed among the POW's is this: For every Red hat gets the number one. For every White hat, the number two. The guy in the back (who is a hero and will have a memorial built in his name) counts the red and white hats in front of him. Since there are nine altogether he says to himself, "1,1,2,1,2,2,1,2,2 for example. Then he loudly proclaims - Onehundred and twelve million, onehundred twenty two thousand and onehundred twenty two. The order of each didgit pertains to teh order of POW too.

Edited by Seko - 29-Aug-2006 at 10:02
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 10:44
Which information would be most useful for them, expressed in ONE word?

Does that include hyphenated words, or made-up words? Does a long string of numbers count as a word? Can it be multi-syllable? How many letters longs can the words be? (for example, I can encode a white/red sequence by selecting a certain word with an alphabetical order that matches the sequence.)

One example of the above is to use a word so that for the first two letters, vowels represent white and consonants represent red. That way, the guy behind can pass information for correct color of the next two hats.

Looks like the POW camp needs better rules definitions. Smile

Edited by Imperator Invictus - 29-Aug-2006 at 10:52
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 11:16
If the guy in the back wants a chance at saving his own hide in the process then a coded word would become necessary, as Imperator Invictus has alluded to.

I agree that the tormentors of those poor POW's need to provide a clearer set of guidelines.

Edited by Seko - 29-Aug-2006 at 11:17
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 11:41
Ha ha...

No need for a clearer set of rules - as mentioned in the original post - only one word allowed for each POW.

Red or White.

Edited by Northman - 29-Aug-2006 at 11:45
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 11:48

I'm back from a brief hiatus to the men's room.

The guy at back counts the number of colored hats. The preconcieved trick discussed among the POW's is this: For every Red hat gets the number one. For every White hat, the number two. The guy in the back (who is a hero and will have a memorial built in his name) counts the red and white hats in front of him. Since there are nine altogether he says to himself, "1,1,2,1,2,2,1,2,2 for example. Then he loudly proclaims - Onehundred and twelve million, onehundred twenty two thousand and onehundred twenty two. The order of each didgit pertains to teh order of POW too.    

LOLLOLLOL I never knew you could be that inventive...
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 11:57
Never underestimate the creative abilities of a prisoner in the Northman POW camp.

This place is a hell hole over here. You must be enjoying this!
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 12:27
No need for a clearer set of rules - as mentioned in the original post - only one word allowed for each POW.

What about the accent of the word or the length during which the word is spoken. Also, can they control how loud or soft the word is spoken? For example:

Loud "white" = next two hats are White-Red
soft "white" = next two hats are White-White
loud "red" = next two hats are Red-White
soft "red" = next two hats are Red-Red

Edited by Imperator Invictus - 29-Aug-2006 at 12:27
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 12:40
Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

What about the accent of the word or the length during which the word is spoken. Also, can they control how loud or soft the word is spoken? For example:

Loud "white" = next two hats are White-Red
soft "white" = next two hats are White-White
loud "red" = next two hats are Red-White
soft "red" = next two hats are Red-Red

LOL - good try Invictus ... but lets say they speak through a synthesizer - everyone sounds the same.

Last hint - after the first guy has said a color, the next guy knows exactly what HIS color is, and when he states that, the next in line also knows HIS color - and so on.

Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 12:55
Lol You never said that the people in front knows whether or not a guy behind has been executed. For what we know, it's possible that the execution takes place after the process has been completed.

Edited by Imperator Invictus - 29-Aug-2006 at 12:57
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 13:22
Let's say the guy in the back counts four Red hats and five White hats. He then, according to plan, says the color of either Red or White hats out loud. Red being even and White being odd. Prior to this the group is in on the method and know that they will be informed by the first guy. The trick is that guy only mentions the color of either even or odd number of hats. In this case he says 'Red' which he knows there are four of and the group knows they are, therefore, even numbered. Each POW looks infront of him and counts the number of 'Red' (even number) hats. The guy directly in front of the POW at the back of the line see's three Red hats. So he knows he has a red one too. Then he say's Red. The rest of the guys up also see the colors of various red and white hats and can figure out the rest from there.

Edited by Seko - 29-Aug-2006 at 13:28
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>