Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Name of scholars in Middle Ages

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Amirsan View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Amirsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Name of scholars in Middle Ages
    Posted: 25-Aug-2006 at 09:15
Hi, I posted this same question in the Questions and Answers forum but it seems not too many had an answer there. 

I just need some names of what writers, scientists, or any creative people were called in the Medieval European ages.  Not just one name, but several if possible.

For example, a writer in ancient times would be called a Scribe.  Would they call writers in Medieval times "Scribe" also?

I know there were indeed "scholars" and scholastisicm, but where there other names and ways of calling people who wrote great texts, researched, studied, etc.

Thanks alot :)
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2006 at 10:29
Monks.Smile

But 'scholars' is good. Unless you are looking for medieval words to describe them? In that case you need someone familiar with middle or early English.

And a 'scribe' is not a 'writer' in the modern sense. It's more like 'secretary'.

Edited by gcle2003 - 25-Aug-2006 at 10:30
Amirsan View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Amirsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2006 at 10:35
I thought Monks as well, but that doesn't seem to fit what I am looking for. 

Yes, middle or early English word would probably work.  I am leaning on scholar but not quite yet.  Would you happen to know any good websites where I can possible find a solution?   

Edited by Amirsan - 25-Aug-2006 at 10:38
Orderic Vitalis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Orderic Vitalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2006 at 11:08
Medieval scientists, writers and scholars usually were not referred to as such, just because they often had other duties that they were known for. Very few people from that time could actually make a living by just pursuing an academic vocation. For example, if you were a scribe or a clerk, your job was often to work for a king or local ruler composing various letters and documents. If they had spare time, they might also pen some history or other book.
Others would be employed in the bureaucracy as well - for example, Nasir al-Tusi, who was a famous mathematician and astronomer in the 13th century, spent his later years as an advisor and governor in the Ilkhanate. He invented triginometry to assist the bookkeeping and tax collection duties of his ruler, Hulagu Khan.
In Europe, most scholars would have to go religious training as part of any education, and would be considered to be clerics or monks.   
Visit our site www.medievalists.net for articles, videos and more about the Middle Ages
Amirsan View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Amirsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2006 at 12:45
Oh ok, so I guess my best bet would just to go with scholar then.  I am asking this because I am looking for a title to give on a forum of mine to someone who has written articles, and contributed to the site.

For example, a title to give people here on allempires.com who contributes articles to the website.  So since we are moving towards a medieval theme, I was thinking of a medieval title.

Anyways, thanks for the help guys!  And thanks for the little bits of knowledge Orderic.  Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply