Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Early Russian history

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Philhellene View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Philhellene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Early Russian history
    Posted: 03-Sep-2006 at 03:48

You think this is truth??? You think that was written by healthy man??? So, ih this case I think this is a great tragedy.... your own great tragedy.

Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2006 at 14:30
What I heard was that the slavic term "Rusi" (Russians) means "men of curly hair" and that this was the name the Slaves gave to the Varjags.

As for the term Slav (Slaven in original) I believe it is coined from two words: S and Laba.
Now, in quite a few slavic languages the word "S" means "from" or "of", while Laba is todays river of Elba. So people who came from the Laba river valley reffer to themselves as "S Labe", as in "I come from Laba river".
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2006 at 16:27
Originally posted by Philhellene

You think this is truth??? You think that was written by healthy man??? So, ih this case I think this is a great tragedy.... your own great tragedy.

You reply too fast. Try to read the posts you reply to thoroughly so as to avoid giving a response based on the wrong premises, which you just did.

If the Russians do in fact provide most of the world's sex slaves (trafficking), it is hardly my tragedy in any case, I just get cheap prostitutes. Dead
Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2006 at 03:04
Originally posted by Reginmund

You reply too fast. Try to read the posts you reply to thoroughly so as to avoid giving a response based on the wrong premises, which you just did.If the Russians do in fact provide most of the world's sex slaves (trafficking), it is hardly my tragedy in any case, I just get cheap prostitutes.

Actually, most sex slaves come from Romania, Moldavia and Ukraine. But since western Europeans can't tell the difference between various slavic nations, they call them all Russians.

ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2006 at 04:05
Originally posted by gramberto

When did Russia become a strong state?

It depends on a definition of 'a strong state'.

Edited by ataman - 04-Sep-2006 at 04:06
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2006 at 08:47
Originally posted by Maljkovic

Actually, most sex slaves come from Romania, Moldavia and Ukraine. But since western Europeans can't tell the difference between various slavic nations, they call them all Russians.

Ah, thanks for the info. Now I do wonder why we're discussing trafficking in a thread about early Russian history.

I could try to put the thread back on track, as I just read something interesting the other day. It was a late 11th century text by a certain Kai Kaus ibn Iskander, a prince's mirror written to his son Gilanshah, where he explains how to go about most things in life, buying slaves for instance. Now, what struck me is that Kai Kaus differentiates between Slav and Rus slaves, thus implying that the Rus were still a distinct group in Kiev and Novgorod, far from being completely assimilated into the Slavic culture. Then again one could argue the Persians were not updated on Russian matters, but I doubt that, as there was constant trade going on.
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2006 at 18:45
Originally posted by Desperado

The slavs and scandinavians are just the most important components.

The Scandinavians were not an ''important component''- they were very few in numbers.

"It's better to be a billionair for a lifetime then to live in poverty for a week"
               Bob Rock
aeon View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote aeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2006 at 05:40

Are the Rus slaves? I thought they were descendants of vikings?

The name 'Rus' is indeed Scandinavian in origin. It came from the root 'to row' and meant initially participants in a Viking expedition. In the Russian language it came to mean royal guards then becoming the name of a Slavic-speaking ethnicity.

When was the term 'rus' first used?

It is for the first time mentioned in the Frankish Annales Bertiniani in 838, when Russian ambassadors visited the Greek Emperor Theophylus in Constantinople and the Frankish Emperor Louis the Pious in Ingelheim.

When did Russia become a strong state?  

Russia was a strong state already in the early 9th century. It controlled a large part of North-Eastern Europe and fought with the powerful Khazar Khaganate.
aeon View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote aeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2006 at 05:59
Originally posted by axeman

The term Russia appeared only in 16th century AFAIK, before that "Russia" didn't existed.

Man, you are deluded. The term Russia had been used long before the 16th century, as you can see from the following examples from Iceland (13th century)

Sweden (14th century)

or France (Gilbert de Lannoy, early 15th century)

aeon View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote aeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2006 at 06:05

So are modern russians a hybrid of viking and slavs?

Viking is not an ethnic term. Baltic Slavs were Vikings themselves and harried the coasts of Scandinavia. Russians did assimilate Scandinavians, but their numbers were not very high, I believe.
aeon View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote aeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2006 at 06:09
Originally posted by rider

Yep, official Estonian historiography also accepts that Novgorod was sieged by the Varjags who then moved on to Kiev, conquered it and founded their state.

I would be interested to know where the official Estonian historiography got that information on the siege of Novgorod.
aeon View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote aeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2006 at 06:13
Originally posted by TheDiplomat

I think you misunderstood my post. I do not consider any nation as a slave people for The Mighty Creator's sake.!!!

I believe you. It would be very strange indeed if you claimed that Turks' asses were kicked on so many occassions by slaves.
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2006 at 13:33
"I believe you. It would be very strange indeed if you claimed that Turks' asses were kicked on so many occassions by slaves"

Let's not post stupid agitations here, its not civil at all.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2006 at 15:32

Originally posted by Reginmund

You reply too fast. Try to read the posts you reply to thoroughly so as to avoid giving a response based on the wrong premises, which you just did.If the Russians do in fact provide most of the world's sex slaves (trafficking), it is hardly my tragedy in any case, I just get cheap prostitutes.

Romania and Moldavia are actually latin people, though there is a strong slavic genetic component in their populations, and in the case of Moldavia, a large slavic minority.
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2006 at 15:33

What I heard was that the slavic term "Rusi" (Russians) means "men of curly hair" and that this was the name the Slaves gave to the Varjags.

As for the term Slav (Slaven in original) I believe it is coined from two words: S and Laba.
Now, in quite a few slavic languages the word "S" means "from" or "of", while Laba is todays river of Elba. So people who came from the Laba river valley reffer to themselves as "S Labe", as in "I come from Laba river".

To my knowledge, it actually comes from the word "Slava", which in Slavonic as well as some modern slavic languages means "glory" or "glorious". 
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 04:10
Originally posted by aeon

Man, you are deluded. The term Russia had been used long before the 16th century, as you can see from the following examples from Iceland (13th century)

Sweden (14th century)

or France (Gilbert de Lannoy, early 15th century)

Especially look at this:
'By the end of the 12th century, the word Ruthenia was used, among the alternative spelling Ruscia and Russia, in Latin papal documents to denote the lands formerly dominated by Kiev.'

It seems that the term Russia might be as old as you write, but it had other meaning in the past. It didn't mean Russia (I mean Moscow state) but it meant Ruthenia. If so, there is a question - when the term Russia became a synonym of 'Moscow state'.
According to these pages:
only since Iwan's III reign (1462-1505) the term 'Rossija'/Russia was used to define Moscow state. Is this correct? I know that Wikipedia isn't a valid source, but it is good for the begining...

Edited by ataman - 13-Sep-2006 at 05:08
aeon View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote aeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 07:02
Originally posted by ataman

Look at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruthenia
Especially look at this:
'By the end of the 12th century, the word Ruthenia was used, among the alternative spelling Ruscia and Russia, in Latin papal documents to denote the lands formerly dominated by Kiev.'

It seems that the term Russia might be as old as you write, but it had other meaning in the past. It didn't mean Russia (I mean Moscow state) but it meant Ruthenia. If so, there is a question - when the term Russia became a synonym of 'Moscow state'.

Good question. May I also ask you when the term Poland became a synonym of 'Krakow state'? Smile

Seriously, I know the crappy theory invented by Poles and eagerly embraced by Ukrainians which claims that Rus' and Rossiya are two different names, ethnicities and countries which have nothing to do with each other. Well, it sounds so insane that I am almost ashamed to discuss it, but if you insist... Before you make a claim about history, it is highly advisable to look into sources, and if you look into, for example, medieval German or Swedish sources you will see that in their native languages they call Russia Russland or Ryssland and in Latin Russia, Ruscia or Ruthenia. The following texts pertain to Pskov, Novgorod, Suzdal and Moscow.

The Old Livonian Rhymed Chronicle (13th century)

(02205.) Ein stat ist gr unde wiet
(02206.) die ouch in Ren lande liet:
(02207.) Susdal (51) ist sie genant.
(02208.) Alexander was genant
(02209.) der bie der zt ir kunic hie:
(02210.) sn volc (53) er sich bereiten lie.

(02211.) den Ren was ir schade leit;
(02212.) snelle wurden sie bereit.
(02213.) d vr kunic Alexander,
(02214.) mit im vil manich ander
(02215.) Re her von Susdal.
(02216.) sie vrten bogen ne zal,
(02217.) vil manche brunje wunneclch.
(02218.) ir banier die wren rch,
(02219.) ir helme die wren liecht bekant.
(02220.) sus zogeten sie in der brder lant

(02221.) d gewaldeclch mit her.

The Chronicle of the Teutonic Order (14th century)

Dese Mysterr Herman Valck bestalde tegen den Rusenn, de dem Orden vele Ledes deden, sunderlyck dem Byschopp Hermann von Dorpte, milh des Koninges Volcke, Vnd Meyster Herman toch mit macht In Ruslandt vor eyne Borch, geheyten Isborch, Vnd de Rusen qwemen hyr tegen, Vnd dar warth gestreden vnnd gefochlenn sehrr. Die Chrysten behelden die auerhandt, Vnd dar bleuen doeth Achte hundert Rusenn, Vnd die anderen entschlogenn, Vnd der worth vele geuangenn. Dese Meyster mith synen Broderen, vndt Volck schlogenn er Telth vor Pleskauwe, eyn Stadt also geheyten, Vp dath Velth Inn Ruslandt. De Meyster dede gebeden, dath syck eyn Iderr rede makede, Vmme tho stormen beyde borch und Statt. De Russen begerden eynen frede, Vnd die Pleskowerr boden syck vnder denn Orden, wolden geuen vnd dar wordt eyn frede gemaket mith den Rusenn. Als dath Geerpolth oer Konnyngh beleuede, dath de Borch vud Statt vnd Alle, dath dar by lach, die gyngen vnder denn Ordenn vnd worden Christen. De Meyster besatte die Statt vnd Borch mith twen synen Broderenn, vnd meth Chrysten Volcke, vnd loueden Godt, vnd syne benedicde Moder, van grother Victorien vnd reysedenn wedderumb.

The Chronicle of Livonia by Hermann von Wartberge (14th century)

Item caslrum Ysborch Ruthenorum expugnavit. Rutheni vero Plescowenses cremata civitate corum se illi subdiderunt. Reliquit aulem idem magister duos fratres cum paucis ibi pro conservacione castri ad augmentandum numerum conversorum. Sed Nogardenses hoc intelligentes relictos fratres cum familia subito amoverunt.

Swedish chronicles

The above-cited Frenchman Gilbert de Lannoy who in the early 15th century visited Poland, Lithuania and Russia calls the lands of Novgorod, Pskov and Moscow, as well as the Russian lands of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, Russie, and their population, Russes.

Originally posted by ataman

According to these pages:
only since Iwan's III reign (1462-1505) the term 'Rossija'/Russia was used to define Moscow state. Is this correct? I know that Wikipedia isn't a valid source, but it is good for the begining...

What language do you mean? As I have showed, the lands of the 'Moscow state' had been called Russia centuried before Ivan III. And if you mean the Russian word Rossiya, it began to replace the older form Rus' in the 16th century, and not just in Russia. If you look through Ukrainian texts of the 16th or 17th centuries, you will see that they use Rus' and Rossiya interchangeably (applying both of these words to Ukraine).

John Lenon View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote John Lenon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 09:44

Word Russia  have been used only from XV century (for aeon: http://polotsk.nm.ru/nep8.htm). Before the word Rus'  was used.

What for Russian states, there are 6 of them (IMHO Wink):
1. Kievan Rus';
2. Grand Duchy of Lithuania (full name Grand Duchy of Lithuania, Ruthenia and Samogitia - latin transcription);
3. Grand Duchy of Moscow (later Russian Tsardom);
4. Russian empire.
5. USSR
6. Modern Russia.

Edited by John Lenon - 13-Sep-2006 at 09:45
aeon View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote aeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 11:13
Originally posted by John Lenon

Word Russia  have been used only from XV century (for aeon: http://polotsk.nm.ru/nep8.htm). Before the word Rus'  was used.

The word Russia (in Latin and Latin-influenced texts) was used from at least the 11th century. The word Rhosia (in Greek texts) was used from the 9th century. The Russian word Ros[s]iya (Greek-influenced form of of the Russian word Rus') became widespread in the 16th century but had been occasionally used for centuries before that.

Originally posted by John Lenon

What for Russian states, there are 6 of them (IMHO Wink):
1. Kievan Rus';
2. Grand Duchy of Lithuania (full name Grand Duchy of Lithuania, Ruthenia and Samogitia - latin transcription);
3. Grand Duchy of Moscow (later Russian Tsardom);
4. Russian empire.
5. USSR
6. Modern Russia.

There is only one Russian state which has always been called Russia.
Preobrazhenskoe View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Preobrazhenskoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 14:29

Prove me wrong, aeon, but wasn't "Russia" called "Muscovy" back when the Rus peoples threw off the Mongol yoke and later claimed Ivan Grozny as the Tsar?

I know it sounds so cliche, but my favorite part of Russian history was the reign of Peter the Great (hence my name, Preobrazhenskoe, the settlement outside of Moscow where he learned the unorthodox methods and traditions aside from the old Muscovite ways, and where he grew his passion for the military). Although I am part Swedish, it doesn't deter me from rooting for Peter in any case, one of my favorite monarchs of all time, although he could still be fairly brutal. I mean come on, he was the first monarch to build an official, modern (for his time) Russian navy. Plus, the Palace of Peterhof (is that how it's spelled?) is magnificent.

Eric
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>