Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Protest Pigs of Frisia (a tribute to Northman)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Protest Pigs of Frisia (a tribute to Northman)
    Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 16:28
Have you ever heard about the race of the so called protest-pigs of husum. husum a little town in north-frisia , near the danish border. at that region a danish minority is living on german territory til today.
at the begining of 20th century the danish were not allowed to fly the danish flag ,the dannebrog.
therefore some clever countrymen decided to raise a special kind of a pig, in red and white colours, like the danish flag ,as you all may know, after some of it where burnt earlier this year in some islamic countries. (not to confuse with the swiss flag)
today there are living about 150 pigs , listed by the german league of coloured pigs of husum.

may be these guys were color-blind but nevertheless a brilliant way to revolt against the sovereign - raise cattle....

Edited by ulrich von hutten - 23-Aug-2006 at 16:52

Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2006 at 09:12
Why thank you Ulrich - not only for the tribute, but also for telling about these pigs. I never heard of them before.

But I'm not surprised. Danes invented numerous protests during WWII and also some like this one, that was only obvious to Danes and not the Germans. Maybe this one would be obvious though LOL

Besides from the small protest, the Danish resistance movement did their part in blowing up railways, factories working for the Germans etc etc.
Some members of my family were part of this, and a few of them were taken and executed.
I'm working on a website (not published yet) on the actions of the resistance groups in my own town.

A less known event is the rescue of 7.500 Danish Jews by ordinary Danish fishermen and other citizens - just in time before the Germans could round them up for the camps - someone told this story here.

Edited by Northman - 24-Aug-2006 at 09:12
 Post Reply Post Reply