Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A Forgotten Genocide, A Lost People

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Forgotten Genocide, A Lost People
    Posted: 15-Dec-2006 at 20:48
Originally posted by think

There seems to be a lot of killing that went on during Russias advancements. For example i read about 7 million Ukranians that dissapeared during the 1930's yet until i read about it on the net I had never heard about it.

It is called the Holodomor. The Soviets tried to conceal it, and it only became known after Ukrainian independence in 1991. Ukrainians is now pushing towards its recognition as a Soviet instigated genocide. BBC reports on it here.
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2006 at 20:55
But who are trying to get recognition from?

Stalin, a Georgian bore the responsibility...
think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2006 at 22:58
delete

Edited by think - 18-Dec-2006 at 17:10
think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2006 at 23:02
Originally posted by mamikon

But who are trying to get recognition from?

Stalin, a Georgian bore the responsibility...

Recognition from Russia the EX-Soviet state Confused
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2006 at 10:21
Holodomor is very true, but how is Russia to blame...as strange as it might sound, none of the Soviet "dictators" were Russian except Gorbachev...and he is the one who destroyed it.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2006 at 11:16
And Hitler was Austrian, wasn't he? Maybe blame those dastardly sterreicher for the Holocaust then?
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2006 at 11:32
He was a German, from Austria (with Jewish heritage...)

Also, he was not alone in the extermination of Jews...Goering, Himmler, Heydrich and there were many others.

In the Soviet Union, Stalin had an ultimate power. In 1938 a certain Russian high ranked official (I forgot the name) close the door on Stalin's face when the extent of death due to the gulags and extensive industrializtion became apperent, he died shortly after.

After WWII, historians put most of the Holocaust blame on Hitler, in 1970 most of the blame was put on the SS, today both are taken into account...or so I am told by my European Hsitory professor.
Desperado View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2006 at 12:27

Golodomor(in Russian) or Holodomor(in Mova) wasn't a genocide because it was not affecting a particular nation-the Ukranian in the case(whether such existed then is a question) but a whole class in the soviet society: the peasantry, not only in Ukraine but in Southern Russia too. The current actions of the Ukrainian parliament on proclaiming the Holodomor as a genocide have a typical political character and almost none historical background behind.

Edited by Desperado - 17-Dec-2006 at 12:28
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12