Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A Forgotten Genocide, A Lost People

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Forgotten Genocide, A Lost People
    Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 01:00

It is a genocide which I never knew about.

A genocide of a people whose former lands I have visited without ever knowing they existed.

A genocide of a people of whom I have only heard in history books but never met in person.

A genocide which you cannot look up in wikipedia for noone has bothered to write an article about it.

It is the Genocide of the Circassians perpetrated by the Russian Empire in the 1860s, only 50 years before the Ottoman massacres against Armenians.

Today Circassia is long gone, but take a look at a map of Russia dating from the early-nineteenth century and you will find Circassia clearly marked a country in the north-western Caucasus and along the north-eastern shore of the Black Sea. 

Circassians are an ancient people with a very long history, whose origins can be traced back as far as the 8th century BC.

They were Christianized under Byzantine influence in the 5th and 6th century. While many of their neighbours, were Islamized under Arab influence as early as the 8th century, Circassians remained resilient and loyal to their faith. They entered an alliance with the Georgians, whom they regarded as the same people and constituting a single Christian island in a Muslim sea.

Muslim influence among the Circassians dates no earlier than the 17th century, and only in the eighteenth century, under the threat of impending Russian invasion, did they accept Islam, with a view to facilitating a defensive alliance with Ottoman Turkey and the Crimean Khanate.

The Circassians fought agains the Russian conquest for over a century from 1763 to 1864. Their final defeat in the 1860s led to massacre and forced deportation, mainly across the Black Seat to Turkey, in the course of which a large proportion of them perished.  Since that time the great majority of people of Circassian decent (90%) have lived in exile, mostly in Turkey, Jordan and elsewhere in the Middle East. Only isolated remnants, currently 3-4 thousand, remain in Russian and other parts of the post-Soviet region. During the last decades of the tsarist regime, the emptied and devastated Circassian lands were resettled by Russian, Ukrainian, Armenian and other colonists.

The Russian invasion of Circassia  was accompanied by the total annihilation of the Circassian tribes Pskhu, Akhtsipsou and Aibg and Jigit to the last man, woman and child. The remainder of the Circassians were to be deported to the Ottoman Empire. The deportations began on 28 May 1864.  They took place under horrendous conditions. The Russian historian Berzhe bore witness to the state of the Circassians even as they awaited deportation on the Black Sea shore:

I shall never forget the overwhelming impression made on me by the mountaineers in Nvorissiisk Bay, where about seventeen thousand of them were gathered on the shore. The late, inclement and cold time of the year, the almost complete absenve of means of subsistence and the epidemic of typhus and  smallpox , raging among them made their situation desperate. And indeed, whose heart would not be touched on seeing, for example, the already stiff corpse of a young Circassian woman lying in rags on the damp ground under the open sky with two infants, one struggling in his death throes while the other sought the assuage his hunger at his dead mothers breast? And I saw not a few such scenes.

Those that had survied the ordeal thus far were herded on by Russians soldiers en mass on to barges and small Turkish and Greek ships, loaded with several times passengers as they could carry. Many sank and their passengers drowned in open sea. For those who survived the voyage, conditions on arrival in Turkey were no less horrific. The arrangements made by the Turkish government to receive and resettle the migrants were grossly inadequate.

Historians estimate that over a million Circasssians have lost their lives in the 1860s for the duration of just 3 years.

George Ditson, the first American to visit Circassia, in a book dedicated to Prince Vorontsov cites the Russian ruler of the Caucasus as saying:

These Circassians are just like your American Indians - as untamable and uncivilized ... and owing to their natural energy of character, extermination only would keep them quiet.

Today, the Circassian Genocide is not only unrecognized, but is mostly forgotten. The final stage of Genocide, which is oblivion, is now complete.

Source:
http://www.circassianworld.com/A_Forgotten_Genocide.pdf

PS: I visited Karachaevo-Cherkeskaya Respublika, which encompasses parts of Circassia, in 1999. Then I had no idea of what had take place on those land 2 centuries ago.  

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 01:12
A Nart saga by the Circassians:

The Narts were courageous, energetic, bold, and good-hearted. Thus they lived until God sent down a small swallow.

"Do you want to be few and live a short life but have great fame and have your courage be an example for others forevermore?" asked the swallow. "Or perhaps you would prefer that there be many of you, that your numbers will be great, that you will have whatever you wish to eat and drink, and that you will all live long lives but without ever knowing battle or glory?"

Then without calling a council, but with a reply as quick as thought itself, the Narts said, "We do not want to be like cattle. We do not want to reproduce in great numbers. We want to live with human dignity.

If our lives are to be short,
Then let our fame be great!
Let us not depart from truth!
Let us not know grief!
Let us live in freedom!"

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 05:46
They are called erkez in Turkish, and there are many of them in Turkey..Tragic..

Russian Empire's records are not so bright when it comes to talk about their brutality.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 11:53
It was a horrible genocide. I found this in wikipedia:

Antero Leitzinger writes in an article titled "The Circassian Genocide" that:

The genocide committed against the Circassian nation by Czarist Russia in the 1800s was the biggest genocide of the nineteenth century. Yet it has been almost entirely forgotten by later history, while everyone knows the later Jewish Holocaust and many have heard about the Armenian genocide. "Rather than of separate, selectively researched genocides, we should speak of a general genocidal tendency that affected many both Muslim and Christian people on a wide scene between 1856 and 1956, continuing in post-Soviet Russia until today".

To me, the Circassians are like the Natives. A genocide was commited agansit them yet no one knows about them or remembers. I bet if I ask 20 random people, here in Canada, maybe only 3 will recognise them.
Samo Sloga Srbina Spasava
Only Unity Can Save the Serb
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 20:47

Bravo....

well written and certainly evocative in substance... I 'felt' your emotionalism thru out...and I thank you for sharing this.Smile

Another excellent example of the brutality of the human species.

best
CV
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 21:33
What language did (or do) the Circassian people speak? Ethnically speaking they were (or are) related to whom?
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 22:45
Originally posted by flyingzone

What language did (or do) the Circassian people speak? Ethnically speaking they were (or are) related to whom?

The Circassian language is also called the Kabardian langauge. It is spoken in Kabardino-Balkaria republic, in southwestern Russia, in the northern Caucasus. It is related to the Abkhaz, Abaza, Adyghian, and Ubykh languages, which constitute the Abkhazo-Adyghian, or Northwest Caucasian, language group. You can check here for more information, if you want: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circassian_languages
Samo Sloga Srbina Spasava
Only Unity Can Save the Serb
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2006 at 02:40
Originally posted by flyingzone

I think this site will be most usefullSmile

Edited by xi_tujue - 21-Aug-2006 at 02:41
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 01:23
Thanks for the link, tujue.  I found this lovely image there, illustrating the customs and the costumes of the Circassians:

Datuna View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Datuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 11:52
I know about that people, they were famous with their tackling for freedom and their women were one of beautiful in the north of Caucasus.
They are very rearely mantioned in stories by georgian authors. There's one love story about a georgian and cherkez girl.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 22:37
A webpage on the Circassian Genocide:

http://www.circassianworld.com/circassiangenocide.html

Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 23:10
I believe the "forgotten genocide" was lost in memory because the term genocide did not come to being until the 1920's I believe.
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 23:24
omshanti View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote omshanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 23:58
bg_ turk. Thank you very much for sharing this information. I have met  few Circassian people from Jordan but have to admit that had never heard of their genocide and did not kow about it until I read your post. It is so tragic and cruel. I am sure there are so many other unknown and forgotten genocides that  happened  only in the Caucasus region let alone the whole world. Has  humanity learnt anything from all those terrible and cruel genocides? I am afraid the answer seems to be no. I am sure even now as we speak , people are being killed some where in the world. Is there any way to stop the genocide of Circassian people from being forgotten?

Edited by omshanti - 13-Nov-2006 at 08:36
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2006 at 10:05
those guys are Chechens.and Turkic in ethnic
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2006 at 12:06
Batu bey Chechens are not Turkic, however, Turks, Chechens, Cherkez and other Caucaus muslims are very close and because most of the survivors of this genocide were forced to flee to what is now Turkey they under Pax-Ottoman feel a close bond and brotherhood with Turks and mixed with them. However, they arn't Turkic they are Caucaus peole their language is in a seperate group.

If your referring to the Circassian genocide then yes the Chechens, Karacay's(Turkic), Tatar/Nogay(Turkic), Lezgi;s, Avar's also suffered terribly.    
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2006 at 18:18
Originally posted by Datuna

I know about that people, they were famous with their tackling for freedom and their women were one of beautiful in the north of Caucasus.
They are very rearely mantioned in stories by georgian authors. There's one love story about a georgian and cherkez girl.

They really seem to be very beautiful. The girl who will potentially represent Turkey on the eurovision is in fact Circassian, and she's really hot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D264krT3nRM

Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2006 at 03:45
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

I believe the "forgotten genocide" was lost in memory because the term genocide did not come to being until the 1920's I believe.

No, it did no come into use until the 1940s.

Brainstorm View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2006 at 08:36
Can we just "forget Genocide threads ??  (since some are already in black list)
I can't see where this can lead-every week one "genocide" appears in this forum..
I m not sure what s the point of this:
To bury real Genocides , to increase hate and flame wars in here ?
Same people for similar things..it just became Boring....Ouch

think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2006 at 20:35
There seems to be a lot of killing that went on during Russias advancements. For example i read about 7 million Ukranians that dissapeared during the 1930's yet until i read about it on the net I had never heard about it.

But anyway, whats the point of bringing the Skeletons out of the closet with everyones past...Theres a difference between recognition an placing the blame on a current population who had nothing to do with it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>