Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Scottish Language

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Scottish Language
    Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 08:47
One thing that has always fascinated me is the lack of knowledge by most people of the existence of the Scottish Language. And that as English speakers most of us could become quickly fluent in it. Scottish being closer to English than Spanish to Italian, German to Dutch or Czech to Polish.

History
The variety of middle English spoken in the lowlands of Scotland and North of England had always been dialactically different from that spoken in the south; a Latinised version of Northumbrian and heavily influenced by Norse. The Scottish language emerged as a unique tongue in the middle ages when middle English split in two directions; Modern English and Scottish and has remained and developed uniquely since.

Sample Liturature,

Ma auld buits, ma auld buits,
Ye're a' wrang thegither,
Ma heels are doon, ma taes are oot,
Speirin' o' the weather.

We're auld frien's, we're auld frien's,
And mony a mile we've trampit,
Through simmer's stour and winter's snaw -
Nae wunner ye're disjaskit.

But wae's me, O wae's me,
The thocht maist gars me greet,
Ye hae nae mair the poor to fend
Me frae the stour and weet.

I' m rale laith, I'm rale laith,
To pairt frae ye ava,
It seems like leavin' human things
A' beildless in the snaw.

I'm awfu' sad, I'm awfu' sad,
But aff ye'll hae to gang,
I'll mak' mair speed wi'oot ye noo,
And I maun haste alang.

But deep doon, aye deep doon,
I'll put ye in the mools,
And hap ye owre wi' sod and moss,
Ma haun's ma anely tools.

I'm weel pleased, I'm weel pleased,
That noo ye're oot o' sicht,
And no anither cadger loon
Will ever on ye licht.

Noo fare ye weel, ma auld buits,
And may ye quately rest,
For weel I ken that while ye warked
Ye did your verra best.

Edited by Paul - 19-Aug-2006 at 09:04
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Goban View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Goban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 10:32
Beautiful, I love it.

When I first read your post I thought you were going to talk about Scottish Gidhlig. I was surprised by the Scottish English. I never really thought of it as a separate language. Thanks for the post Paul. Big smile

I too have some auld buits who've served me well at work for the past few years. Maybe it's time to say fare ye weel auld friens..Tongue
The sharpest spoon in the drawer.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 11:55
I think Gaelic is a bit a of a white elephant and the disproportionate amount of publicity by celtic romanticists misleads people about it's real lack of importance........ In the current Scottish population of 5 million only 60,000 speak Gaelic, where-as 1.6 million speak Scottish.

Here a website full of the stuff,

Edited by Paul - 19-Aug-2006 at 11:58

Goban View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Goban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 13:18
Thank you. That is an interesting site!

Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 14:45
I have always loved the Scottish language. It is wierd because it is so similar to English. I first read Scots when I read an old Jacobite song "Heigh Johnnie Cope, Are Ye Waukin' Yet?". And then I also read some of Burns. It is very similar to Northumbrian, and it is an Anglo-Norse dialect, the reason it is so similar to English. Aye, then there's auld Scots Gaelic, overestimated a wee bit, ye noo. Ony fifta' thoosan' speak it to begin wi'. Yinz noo what I'm talkin' aboot. LOL Really, the only reason Gaelic is considered the "Scottish language" is because of the popularity of Highland culture. It is probably spoken heavily in the Highlands, but in the rest of Scotland, Scottish is more dominant.

Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 18:46
I'm very fond of folk-music, be it Danish, British, Irish, American or German, but nothing beats Scottish in the genuine language. 

I attended a funeral today, - an older friend of mine who was in a Scottish regiment during WWII had passed away, and the most touching moment in the church was when a woman from the the chorous sang Loch Lomond. Its a very beautiful song.

The Bonnie Bonnie Banks, of Loch Lomond

By yon bonnie banks, and by yon bonnie braes,
Where the sun shines bright, on Loch Lomond
Where me and my true love, were ever wont to gae,
On the bonnie bonnie banks, of Loch Lomond
Oh ye'll tak' the high road An I'll tak' the low road
And I'll be in scotland afore ye
For me and my true love will never meet again
on the bonnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

We'll meet where we parted, in yon shady glen
On the steep steep side, of Ben Lomond
Where in purple hue, the hie-lands hills we view
And the moon looks out, frae the gloamin
Chorus

Still fair is the scene, but ah! how changed
Are the hopes that we fondly cherished
Like a wa-t'ry gleam, like a morning dream
On Cul-lo-dens field, they ha'e per-rished
Chorus

The wild flowers spring, and the wee birdies sing
And in sun-shine the waters, are sleepin
But the broken heart, a kens nae second spring
And re-sign'd we may be, tho' we're greetin
Chorus

Edited by Northman - 19-Aug-2006 at 18:58
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 19:56
I remember on the movie We Were Soldiers, there was a song in Scots in one scene.

Original Scottish Version
Lay me doon in the caul caul groon
Whaur afore monie mair huv gaun

When they come a wull staun ma groon
Staun ma groon al nae be afraid

Thoughts awe hame tak awa ma fear
Sweat an bluid hide ma veil awe tears

Ains a year say a prayer faur me
Close yir een an remember me

Nair mair shall a see the sun
For a fell tae a Germans gun

English Translation
Lay me down in the cold cold ground
Where before many more have gone

When they come I will stand my ground
Stand my ground Ill not be afraid

Thoughts of home take away my fear
Sweat and blood hide my veil of tears

Once a year say a prayer for me
Close your eyes and remember me

Never more shall I see the sun
For I fell to a Germans gun

(In memory of Sgt. Charles Stuart MacKenzie
Seaforth Highlanders)

Goban View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Goban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 20:08
Lest we forget Auld Lang Syne:

Should auld acquaintance be forgot
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot
And days of auld lang syne?

For auld lang syne, me dear
For auld lang syne
We'll tak' a cup o' kindness yet
For auld lang syne

We twa hae run about the braes
And pu'd the gowans fine
But we've wander'd mony a weary foot
Sin' auld lang syne

We twa hae paidl't in the burn
Frae morning sun till dine
But seas between us braid hae roar'd
Sin' auld lang syne

And surely ye'll be your pint stoup
And surely I'll be mine
And we'll tak' a cup o' kindness yet
For auld lang syne.

Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2006 at 15:55

It is good to see that the Scottish English dialect  is still preserved  in Britain.   I hope that that the younger generation continues to preserve it.     

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2006 at 16:22
I can understand half of that, and y accent is derived directly from it.

It is worth note that that dialect was exclusive to SE Scotland.

For example, the word "ken" means know, similar to German, "kennen".  It is only used in East Central Scotland.

Ah ken.
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2006 at 18:08
Actualy i would like to learn some scotishSmile For ex. How do you say: Hi, How are you? Fine in Scotish language?
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2006 at 07:07
I believe that would be someting like "Heigh, how are ye?" and pronounced, "Heigh, hauw are ya?" Another example would be "Do ye ken wha' happened to me things ootside?"(do you know what happened to my things outside?) and an answer would be "No, I donnae ken wha' happened to thaim things ootside"(No, I do not know what happened to those things outside)

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2006 at 08:45
there was a comedy i use to love, when i lived in england about 15 years ago that was basically in that dilaect or bloody close. dunno the name but had a fat man in a netted singlet and two sons.
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2006 at 13:46
The man may have been speaking a modern form of some type of Northumbrian, since Scots was largely based off of this ancient dialect.

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2006 at 14:55
Originally posted by Leonidas

there was a comedy i use to love, when i lived in england about 15 years ago that was basically in that dilaect or bloody close. dunno the name but had a fat man in a netted singlet and two sons.

Rab C Nesbit, Glaswegian Philosopher.

Rab

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2006 at 17:02
RAB C!!!

Barbarossa, you almost have it, but u need to be more consistant! "mah" i/o "me" and "ye" i/o "ya"
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2006 at 07:07
Originally posted by Zagros

Barbarossa, you almost have it, but u need to be more consistant! "mah" i/o "me" and "ye" i/o "ya"

That is the one thing that always confuses me.

AyKurt View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote AyKurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 10:56
The Scots language itself has a number of dialects, the Shetlands, Orkney and Northern tip of Scotland speak Insular Scots or Northern Scots, Aberdeen and the North East of Scotland speak a dialect known as Doric, Central Scots is spoken along the central belt and Southern Scots in the Borders.  Even within these dialects there are regional variations.  So Scots is quite diverse within itself.

Scots has also never been standardised so there arent any official spelling systems, some words can be spelt differently depending on the writer, f.e. the scots word for fall can be spelt, faa, faw or fa'.

The good news is that after centuries of put downs and avoidance Scots is recognised as a minority language in Scotland and is starting to be taught in schools.  Its not much as its onsidered a part of english so perhaps a few hours a year but at least its a start.

this link http://www.scotsindependent.org/features/scots/Scotland2.rm is a link to an 8 yr old lass reciting a poem in Scots when she won the Robert Burns World Federation Certificate of Merit for Excellence in Recitation from Scottish Literature in January 2005.

As for speakers, its hard to say as most folk speak a mixture of Scots and english to various degrees depending on location and education, but i would say most Scots understand some Scots and in particular Scots sayings and proverbs but not that many speak proper scots in everyday use.
Also i wouldnt really consider Rab C Burns as a Scots speaker he just has a strong Glaswegian accent but speaks mostly Scottish English rather than Scots (there is a difference Big smile).
Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha
AyKurt View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote AyKurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 11:03
here are some links in the scots language.

This is a map of the variations within Scots

Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha
AyKurt View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote AyKurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 11:07
Originally posted by Zagros

For example, the word "ken" means know, similar to German, "kennen".  It is only used in East Central Scotland.

Ah ken.

Actually its said throughout the Scots speakin parts of Scotland with the only exception being Glasgow and Lanarkshire region.  Never knew why.
I live in a town just south of glasgow in Lanarkshire and its never used, wheras a town just 10 mins drive to the west of here, in Ayrshire, its used quite often.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>