Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Renaissance.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Winterhaze13 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Renaissance.
    Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 11:04
In this thread I'd like to discuss the renaissance which I was surprised to learn had not been discussed as of yet. What I'd like to know is what are some of your favourite renaissance artists, or just individual paintings, sculptures or buildings and why? It would be a good idea to include an image in your response.

Edited by Winterhaze13
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 15:37

Edited by Winterhaze13
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 15:41
The School of Athens by Michalengelo is my favourite painting because I think it really captures what the renaissance is suppose to be about which is the revival of the classics. In this painting, Greek philosopher including Plato and Aristotle (Centre) are discussing issues in a beautiful building that mankind has created for its self. It is celebrating humanities' accomplishments. Although, I think that Leonardo da Vinci is the ultimate renaissance man.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2004 at 16:56

This painting is by my favourite renaissance painter Leonardo Da Vinci. I feel that he could rally capture beauty.

Edited by Winterhaze13
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2004 at 19:46

We have a similar topic here

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=485& PN=1

you can also find my response there.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2004 at 19:51
That is so strange I can't seem to find it in the Renaissance and Imperialism age page, but when I click on your link it brings me to it. I started this threat because I thought that there weren't any thread about the renaissance. 

Edited by Winterhaze13
capcartoonist View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote capcartoonist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 09:48

"The School of Athens by Michalengelo is my favourite painting because I think it really captures what the renaissance is suppose to be about which is the revival of the classics. In this painting, Greek philosopher including Plato and Aristotle (Centre) are discussing issues in a beautiful building that mankind has created for its self. It is celebrating humanities' accomplishments. Although, I think that Leonardo da Vinci is the ultimate renaissance man."

You are right about Leonardo.  However, Michaelangelo did not paint that.  I believe it was Rafael.

He captured the essence of Plato and Aristotle.  Plato, the ultimate metaphysicist, is pointing towards the heavens.  Aristotle, more interested in natural philosophy, indicates with his hand the down-to-earth aspects.

Cap
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 14:09

That is so strange I can't seem to find it in the Renaissance and Imperialism age page

Perhaps it's because it's been silent for a while and your Show Topics option isn't set to ALL.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 14:49
Originally posted by capcartoonist

"The School of Athens by Michalengelo is my favourite painting because I think it really captures what the renaissance is suppose to be about which is the revival of the classics. In this painting, Greek philosopher including Plato and Aristotle (Centre) are discussing issues in a beautiful building that mankind has created for its self. It is celebrating humanities' accomplishments. Although, I think that Leonardo da Vinci is the ultimate renaissance man."

You are right about Leonardo.  However, Michaelangelo did not paint that.  I believe it was Rafael.

He captured the essence of Plato and Aristotle.  Plato, the ultimate metaphysicist, is pointing towards the heavens.  Aristotle, more interested in natural philosophy, indicates with his hand the down-to-earth aspects.

Yes, your right it is by Rafael, your right.

Post Reply Post Reply