Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

About Uyghur's situation during the early

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sersan View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sersan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: About Uyghur's situation during the early
    Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 10:06
Hi, everyone

I am really impressed by all you guys' comments here.  I felt I learned a lot, much more than I had expected.

I have some questions about Uyghur people in central Asia, especially on former Soviet side.  Hope you can help me get it more clear.

1. Population
1.1 China side
In 1930's, I heard, the population of Uyghur Autonomous Region was more than 6 million, among which more than 80% was Uyghur.  That is, 5 million at least.  Then how can it be less than 9 million today?

1.2 Soviet side
Before Soviet classfied all the Turkic people into different ethnic groups, there was only one big Russian Turkistan, whose first president/chairman was an Uyghur.  I wonder the reason.

At that time, I heard again, there were 2-4 million Uyghurs inside Soviet controlled Central Asia.  Was it true?

When Central Asian republics just got independent, Kazakhstan announced a population statistics, according which the population of Uyghurs in Kazakhstan was 1.2 million or so.  A few years later, 0.30 million, and then 0.225 million now.  What is going on there?

2. Uyghur's demand for an Uyghuristan Republic of Soviet
Many Uyghurs demanded for an Uyghuristan inside Soviet Union based on the area where Uyghur people were populated.  But they were severely punished or even killed.  Was it the real fact?

Thanks again.
Attila2 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Attila2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 18:13
though nearly every point of those issues covered by the iron curtain of both soviet and chinese gov.s,it is the only sure-known fact that more than 750 000 uighurs were killed during Mao's regime.the rest is (even after the fall of USSR) still a mystery.
oghuzkb View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oghuzkb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 07:55
1,Qing rule:
So many tragics have happened since 1784(Qing--Manju invasion,Qing rulers made the region a province only in the late nineteenth century,named Xinjiang,means new border/land) this invasion and occupancy ignited strong local resistance.For instance,between 1867and1877 Qing rulers lost control of the region when Yaqup Beg established a kingdom which had diplomatic relations with Britain and Turkey. After Yaqup(?) Aqsu rebellion succeded and stayed few years;Kashgar rebell, failed and around 100000 Uighur fighters exiled to Ili region,when they crossed Muzart gorge in Tengritagh mountain,more than half killed by cold and famine.Later Ili rebellion which had overthrown Manju general and stayed indepandent almost 10 years in that region.But all of them had same fate,after a short while failed with heavy bloodshed.At the same period,Tsar Russian invasion left countless death in the Western Turkistan.My grandfa(mother side) Mrden exiled to Siberia by Tsar.

Edited by oghuzkb - 16-Aug-2006 at 07:57
ALLAH gave us two books---Quran and Nature.        ---Jamaliddin Efghany
oghuzkb View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oghuzkb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 08:08
2,In 1912,Qing Manju was replaced by Republic of China.The new rulers never got to control over the region:Khomul rebellion,Turpan rebellion,Kashgar-Qizilsu rebellion,Khoten rebellion and so on,took place one by one till the three northwestern prefectures independance of East Turkistan.During this period,Uighur leaders twice established independant states of " East Turkistan"---one in the southwest from 1933 to1934,another in the northwestern part from 1944 to 1949(1955 be more exact).Too many death toll in this period too,whole country was under fire,blood was rivers!

Edited by oghuzkb - 16-Aug-2006 at 08:10
oghuzkb View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oghuzkb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 09:23
3,Soviet time:

Becuase of strong resistance from Uighur people, Tsar exclusivly made slaughter over Uighur region(mostly agricultural region) in the west Turkistan,this led huge number of Uighur refugee,they escaped to Uzbek region,cuase there are no virtual difference between Uighur and Uzbek(everything is the same except very slight dialect) ,Uighur refugees covered themselves as Uzbeks and stayed there forever, named Uzbeks.Funny thing is this kinda changing is still happening in Uzbekistan becuase of incapable government which is putting nationalist agenda on the top of its desk! Even their president claiming there are no Uighur named people on the planet of earth. The Uighur people in central asian countries are suffering as much as Uighurs under chinese control.No comment further,thats damn stupid politicians.

Here I would like to add something:
There was a massacre in 1918,it happened the Uighur region which now belongs to Khazakistan.

Before 1918,this area under Tsar control.During this year,red army (Qizillar---Reds) of Russian communists surrendered Tsar army (Aqlar---Whites). Reds pushed Whites to eastern border of West Turkistan. At first local Uighurs did not care who is who as they hate Russians, but after White officers spreading the rumour about the Reds like " they(reds) are gonna rob your properties,and wont allow you to go to mosques and et." , young Uighurs believed them and marched to the Almuta city armed with spades,forks like corn filed tools, aganist heavily armed Red army. The Reds general of Almuta pissed of and opend fire to them without any explaination and negotiation, then all were killed. The general(not sure his name,possibly Maluv or Marlov?) did not stop killing,he thought all the Uighur people are against him, and right after this event, he made a horrible slaughter over every village in the region(now called Almuta oblast and Saruzbek oblast of Khzakistan). Number of people killed only one of the villages named Cilek was 3000! Its a so sudden that some people having dinner at their home, Red came, and asked all the people to a big square. They told the people that they wanted to have a photo, machine-gun under black cover. After they took all the people together, you know, bloodshed. None of them survived, most of them were kids ,olds and wumen. As most of the men working far corn fields, fortunately survived. This terror lasted few days, left, at the least approximation, ten thousand death toll!

After years, some Uighur communists asked Moskov to investigate the truce of this event, and asked a punishment for the killer. Moskov stated it was a falsehood and punished that general(probabely kicked out him from party,big punishment huh!) and sent a group of people to the region to ask apologies, when they were approching the region, people mistakenly thought that they are coming for another slaughter and almost all the people fled to neighbor--- Eastern Turkistans Ili region. After,Uighur communists went Ili, asked apologies and took some of the refugees back to soviet region. My three grandfathers and two grandmothers escaped this massacre and setteld one of the county of Ili region,they did not went back,but they have brothers and sisters who left Soviet region. Now you can imagine how many families were splitted during the mess!

This massacre known as Atu tragedy, 18th May of 1918,we will always remember!

Same happened May of 1962 in Ghulja city in chinese control region, we have no idea how many were killed.

Edited by oghuzkb - 17-Aug-2006 at 15:51
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 09:56
Thanks oguzkb for your great contribution. Could you open a new thread with facts and pictures about the three region revolution or Ili rebellion? I really don't have time, although it's a very important historical period of Uyghurs. I read a book by an English historian who statistically analysed the govenmental and social structure of the republic established, and compared with the Goumindang govenrment in the other parts of the China, and were surpired to find the efficiency of the government. 
Either make a history or become a history.
oghuzkb View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oghuzkb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2006 at 13:16
Dear Barbar:
Happy to hear your comments,its totally my pleasure!
As you said,Ili rebellion has a special position in Uighur as well as East Turkistan history. Thanks for your advice,I would like to open a thread once I get enough information:-)
Forgotten View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Forgotten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 03:59
Originally posted by oghuzkb

2,In 1912,Qing Manju was replaced by Republic of China.The new rulers never got to control over the region:Khomul rebellion,Turpan rebellion,Kashgar-Qizilsu rebellion,Khoten rebellion and so on,took place one by one till the three northwestern prefectures independance of East Turkistan.During this period,Uighur leaders twice established independant states of " East Turkistan"---one in the southwest from 1933 to1934,another in the northwestern part from 1944 to 1949(1955 be more exact).Too many death toll in this period too,whole country was under fire,blood was rivers!

thanks oghuzkb for your posts , the people will never find these events in any chinese or russian histroy book.
 Post Reply Post Reply