Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The greek letters (alphabet)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The greek letters (alphabet)
    Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 12:59
I find it a very interesting topic, the greek alphabet. Did it change with the evolution of the greek spoken language? Where are this changes reflected?
Unfortunately I dont know greek letters, and I dont speak the language, but I would like to know more about this issue. I have read the story regarding its phoenician origins, but I am interested more technically in the letters. If somebody would find the time and the interest to post here the entire list of the letters (alphabet) and their transcriptions in latin (like alpha - read A), I would be thankful.
Prej heshtjes...!
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 14:08
Α (α) - Alpha
Β (β) - Vita
Γ (γ) - Gamma
Δ (δ) - Delta
Ε (ε) - Epsilon
Ζ (ζ) - Zita
Η (η) - Ita
Θ (θ) - Thita
Ι (ι) - Iota
Κ (κ) - Kapa
Λ (λ) - Lamda
Μ (μ) - Mi
Ν (ν) - Ni
Ξ (ξ) - Ksi
Ο (ο) - Omicron
Π (π) - Pi
Ρ (ρ) - Ro
Σ (σ) - Sigma
Τ (τ) - Taf
Υ (υ) - Ipsilon
Φ (φ) - Fi
Χ (χ) - He
Ψ (ψ) - Psi
Ω (ω) - Omega

We don't use the letter F (digamma) and I think but i'm not tottaly sure that it was pronounced like "g".

Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 15:48

For more read an older discussion about the issue.

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 18:55

Thanks Giannis and Perseas.

Why would the greek use different letters like omega and omicron for the same sound? What about iota, ypsilon and eta?

How many sounds does the actual demotiki language have? How many vowels, and how many consonants? What about the ancient greek (before roman occupation)?

And please, if there are some sounds which are not represented by a special letter of the greek alphabet, how would you write that sound (by using two or more letters, or by adding some sign)?

Prej heshtjes...!
Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 21:56
Originally posted by Arbr Z

Why would the greek use different letters like omega and omicron for the same sound? What about iota, ypsilon and eta?

Omikron means "small/little o" (o-mikron) and omega "big/great o" (o-mega). I think that in ancient Greek omega was pronounced different; like a long omicron. Similarly, iota, ypsilon and eta did not correspont to the exact same sound. [Those who know ancient Greek better that me are welcome to post more info on that or correct me if I'm wrong].
Today they correspond to the same sound.
Apart from pronunciation, omicron/omega and eta/iota/ypsilon were (and still are) "treated" differently for grammatical purposes. I'll give you a few examples from modern greek that I'm more familiar with (Tongue):
Verbs are ending on omega. Nouns or adjectives ending on -o, -os are written with omikron.
Feminine nouns or adjectives ending on -i (or -is) are written with eta.
Neuter nouns ending on -i are written with iota.

How many sounds does the actual demotiki language have? How many vowels, and how many consonants? What about the ancient greek (before roman occupation)?

For demotiki:
Vowels:
A        alpha                    like in March
E        epsilon                 September, seven
H/I/Y  ita/iota/ypsilon     three, six, analysis
O       omikron/omega    box, for
In addition, omicron and iota (oi) or epsilon and iota (ei) put together, correspond to the same sound with eta/iota/ypsilon. There is an exception, however: when a word has oi and we want to treat omikron and ota as two different sounds, we put two dots above iota [e.g. the word koroideuo=make fun of, in greek is written as κοροϊδεύω].
Finally, when epsilon is followed by ypsilon (u, υ) then, depending on the word, ypsilon is pronounced as f (foot) or v (vacation).

Consonants: (I will built on Giannis' post)
Β (β) - Vita           Variation
Γ (γ) - Gamma      Like the first sound in the words: yard, yesterday, you
                            And to borrow sth from another post I made: Gamma (Γ, γ) is pronounced like the first letter/sound of the word what (try to isolate 'w' from 'what' without rounding your lips, and then say [a]
Δ (δ) - Delta        mother, whether
Ζ (ζ) - Zita           zebra, crazy
Θ (θ) - Thita        theatre, throw
Κ (κ) - Kapa         keep, clear
Λ (λ) - Lamda      love
Μ (μ) - Mi             month
Ν (ν) - Ni             nine
Ξ (ξ) - Ksi            like the english "x"; six, axis
Π (π) - Pi             play, post
Ρ (ρ) - Ro            Romania
Σ (σ) - Sigma       States
Τ (τ) - Taf            Turkey
Φ (φ) - Fi             Finland
Χ (χ) - He            like the English "h"; house, holiday
Ψ (ψ) - Psi          eclipse, lips with no pause between p and s

Moreover, m and p put together (μπ) correspond to the english sound 'b' as in bottle.
N and T together (ντ) make the english sound 'd' as in door.
Gamma and Kappa (γκ) or double gamma (γγ) = english 'g' as in glimpse, garbage.

For ancient greek the alphabet was the same. As for the exact pronunciation I will let the experts speak!

Edited by Neoptolemos - 12-Aug-2006 at 21:59
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2006 at 08:46
what about the voyel u, is it used only in the endings? What about the glottalised k (like the third k in karaiskaki)? Are there any other sounds in greek?What about a strong R (often writen rr, like arriba in spanish)?

Does anybody have any idea how could the ancient greeks pronounce the letters that now are used to show the same sounds?In the beggining there might have been some diference I believe.

What could have been the sounds of the ancient greek?

Edited by Arbr Z - 13-Aug-2006 at 08:48
Prej heshtjes...!
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2006 at 08:56

If you don't know the Greek language where you find all these informations regarding the phonetical sound of some Greek letters ?

Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2006 at 11:11

where do you see "all this info"???

I do not speak greek, I would be proud if I would. I take advantage of the languages I speak, which are English, French and Italian, and I must admitt that i have some knowledge in spanish as well. I understand some portuguese and romanian.

Regarding the greek, I do not speak that, but I have heard people speaking it several times, and I have seen it written as well.

Akritas, I am interested in cultures history, thats why I am a member of this forum, and thats why i started this topic. The ancient greek language, as well as the modern, are interesting to me, as strong pilllars of a very important culture, which I am proud to be a neighbour. Hope this will not bother...ConfusedConfusedConfused

Edit: It is been three years that I am individually studying different cultures, so I guess I know some things. (Also the internet helps a lot, anyway)

Edited by Arbr Z - 13-Aug-2006 at 11:13
Prej heshtjes...!
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2006 at 21:46

what about the voyel u, is it used only in the endings?

No, ypsilon (Y/u, Υ/υ) is used everywhere (beginning, endings, 'inside' the words), either for grammatical reasons or for orthography. Moreover, ypsilon is a "special" letter, in the sense that it is pronounced differently, depending on the preceding word:
- Normally it is pronounced like iota/eta.
- If it comes after alpha (αυ) or epsilon (ευ) it is pronounced like the english [f] or [v] (unless you put two dots above u (like in Arbr), so it is pronounced normally like eta/iota)
- And sth that I should have written in my previous post:
omikron+upsilon (ou, ου)corresponds to the english letter/sound as in put; or the english [ou] as in could; or english [oo] as in look; and so on.
ou (ου) is used very often in the greek language

What about the glottalised k (like the third k in karaiskaki)? Are there any other sounds in greek?What about a strong R (often writen rr, like arriba in spanish)?

Regarding karaiskaki, the [ki] at the end sounds like "khi", with an almost silent [h]. There are many examples like this, involving many letters, not just [k]. I'm not a language/sound expert to explain this well to you and to identify all the different sounds, but I can tell you this:
Depending on the combination of letters in a word, a letter may sound a bit different from one word to another (it's a 'tongue' issue and I guess it holds for every language). Strong/weak consonants, 'open'/'closed' vowels, deep/sharp sounds and so on (I'm not sure if the terminology I used is correct Tongue). It also depends on accents and dialects.
Examples:
- Thessalonikians pronounce the word Thessaloniki like there are three lamdas there Big smile
- Peloponnesians pronounce the word ending [-li] in a different way than most of the rest of greeks; in a way that I can't explain it here, using just letters Big smile
- Or take the word Giannena (Yiannena). Some say a "clear" Yiannena (epsilon), some say Yiannina (iota), while for the average Giannioti (and many others) it's somewhere between epsilon and iota.

More to come if you are interested and you have more questions.

Edited by Neoptolemos - 13-Aug-2006 at 21:48
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2006 at 11:38
So apparently the letters showing the same sound today, probably showed slightly different sounds to the ancients. What about sounds difficult to pronounce (for the greeks)? I heard them speaking english, and they have some difficulties pronouncing some sounds (like sh in share). What about the strong R (spanish - arriba)?What about the rotacised R (francais). What about french j (jambe)?what about the french U (sucre)?

And Neoptolemos, thanks for your previous posts, I found it really interesting.
Prej heshtjes...!
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2006 at 21:56

So apparently the letters showing the same sound today, probably showed slightly different sounds to the ancients.

Arbr the Greek language (vocabulary, grammar, pronunciation, punctuation etc) has been evolving for thousands of years. Starting from the time that the Greek Alphabet was introduced we have: pre-Classical -> Classical [with several dialects in those periods] -> Koine -> Byzantine Greek -> Modern Greek. So it is safe to assume that if we could invite the great Socrates for a dinner and give him to read a text written in modern greek, he would pronounce (some) things differently. How differently I can't say. There are some theories (like the Erasmian) which claim that ancient Greek was pronounced very different from the modern one. Personally, (to put it politely) I believe they are exaggerating. The fact is that modern Greek pronunciation/phonology is very similar to late Koine, and whatever changes happened they occured during the early (and middle) Koine period.

What about sounds difficult to pronounce (for the greeks)? I heard them speaking english, and they have some difficulties pronouncing some sounds (like sh in share). What about the strong R (spanish - arriba)?What about the rotacised R (francais). What about french j (jambe)?what about the french U (sucre)?

Re share: It's not difficult to pronounce it but the point is that we don't really use this sound n the greek language, so we are not very familiar with it. Another example would be the english [r], which is different from the greek one.
Re rotacised R (francais): Greeks who can't properly pronounce the greek 'r', pronounce it like the french Wink
Re french j (jambe): if it's the same with jamais, we can pronounce it.
sucre: I don't know it's exact pronounciation.
spanish - arriba: If it's like there are three r's there, we can pronounce it but we don't use it in Greek.

And Neoptolemos, thanks for your previous posts, I found it really interesting.
Welcome Arbr
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 06:13

Arbr the Greek language (vocabulary, grammar, pronunciation, punctuation etc) has been evolving for thousands of years. Starting from the time that the Greek Alphabet was introduced we have: pre-Classical -> Classical [with several dialects in those periods] -> Koine -> Byzantine Greek -> Modern Greek. So it is safe to assume that if we could invite the great Socrates for a dinner and give him to read a text written in modern greek, he would pronounce (some) things differently. How differently I can't say. There are some theories (like the Erasmian) which claim that ancient Greek was pronounced very different from the modern one. Personally, (to put it politely) I believe they are exaggerating. The fact is that modern Greek pronunciation/phonology is very similar to late Koine, and whatever changes happened they occured during the early (and middle) Koine period.

I am OK with that Wink. In my opinion modern greek, although evolving in centuries, it still preserved a major basis from the ancient and the changes regarding the sonority (not the vocabulary), are not much. But my interest falls on this slight changes, how could they pronounce those sounds?(I know this is a mystery, but its attractive to me. Which do you think are the documentated (written evidence) sounds used by the ancients that now lack in the modern greek?Like you said, there are some sounds which are not common in modern greek, do you think that any of them could have been used in some point of history?(and evidenced of course).I remember that I read somewere that the speech of the ancient greeks sounded like singing, but, damn I cant remember the book and the author. Probably the tonalities of some sounds could have been different, and with the passing of time they simplified the language, evolving into a synthetic one?
From my greek friends, and also from albanian friends who know greek I have heard that modern greek is a very expressive language, it gives you chance to express yourself in many, individualised ways. How is that compared to the ancient?
And regarding the u that I was asking, it is a sound used in german, french, turkish, albanian etc. It is not used in italian, english, slavic etc. I am not sure, but I think it is not used in modern greek. It is something between U and I, a closed u, often written with two points on it. Ulker (turkish team), Munchen (german city) sucre (sugar in french) etc.
Thank you againTongue
Prej heshtjes...!
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 22:43

But my interest falls on this slight changes, how could they pronounce those sounds?(I know this is a mystery, but its attractive to me. Which do you think are the documentated (written evidence) sounds used by the ancients that now lack in the modern greek?Like you said, there are some sounds which are not common in modern greek, do you think that any of them could have been used in some point of history?(and evidenced of course).
I would be very happy if I had the answers to those questions, but unfortunately I don't. Actually, I don't think that anybody could come with a definite answer. Of course reaserchers have come up with theories, and they will continue to do so (hopefully based on evidence), which is a good thing, but  I don't expect them to reach a consensus.  Anyways, I hope  people who know more than me will jump in this thread.

I remember that I read somewere that the speech of the ancient greeks sounded like singing, but, damn I cant remember the book and the author. Probably the tonalities of some sounds could have been different, and with the passing of time they simplified the language, evolving into a synthetic one?

The Byzantines were using several accent marks in order to pronounce words (vowels) "properly". Today we don't use them, so it is true that with the passing of time the language has been simplified (this holds true for grammar as well). Actually the simplification started with the introduction (and evolution) of Koine.

And regarding the u that I was asking, it is a sound used in german, french, turkish, albanian etc. It is not used in italian, english, slavic etc. I am not sure, but I think it is not used in modern greek. It is something between U and I, a closed u, often written with two points on it. Ulker (turkish team), Munchen (german city) sucre (sugar in french) etc.
Thank you againTongue

I thought that sucre is pronounced like this, but I was not sure. I have taken French in high-school and I remember that , like [r], was sometimes a nightmare (the rest of the times I simply woldn't bother) LOL
Yes, we don't have it in Greek, but then again the French phonology is pretty different from the Greek one!

Welcome againTongue

Edited by Neoptolemos - 16-Aug-2006 at 22:44
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 06:09

Do you happen to have any links to this studies of the greek phonetics (ancient or modern, comparatively)?But please, not in greek, as it would be out of reach for me.

Prej heshtjes...!
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 06:15
And another question, do you have any anachronisms (I mean words from the ancient greek which are still used but they sound inappropriate, or out of time, or unnecessary) in the modern greek language?
Prej heshtjes...!
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2006 at 08:34
I thought I would get plenty of information, knowing the increasing population of this forum by the greek members. Actually even non greeks might have some data to post, or probably phonetics is something not really interesting...?
Prej heshtjes...!
 Post Reply Post Reply