Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

B-36 Peacemaker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B-36 Peacemaker
    Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 01:20
This plane was called the b-36 peacemaker and it was designed shortly after the end of WWII. Discuss any thoughts you have of it and what you think. Here are some pictures.

It had 15 crewman.

Here is some more information. 

DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 02:22
Also known as "The Aluminum Overcast", as far as I know it's the only plane to fly with a functioning nuclear reactor onboard.

edit- it also had a trolley to travel from end of the plane to the other.

Edited by DukeC - 12-Aug-2006 at 02:24
Goban View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Goban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 18:11
That's one big mambajamma. (A mechanics point of view)

R-4630s would be a huge pain to work on. I have spent about 4 and a half years restoring and maintaining WWII aircraft, and with a 2800 Double Wasp it was a chore just to R&R and test the plugs (an A-26 or F7F has two 2800's with 18 cylinders, two plugs each for a total of 72). With six 4630s, you know what you'll be doing for the rest of the week! Tongue It takes a whole lot of time for such a trivial task...

Oh well, I kind of miss working on the auld beasts. although I've never seen one of these! Big smile

The sharpest spoon in the drawer.
 Post Reply Post Reply