Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is torture an acceptable weapon?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is torture an acceptable weapon?
    Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 12:37
Lately many scandals appeared dealing with the use of torture and secret jails by the CIA all over the world. Some European government were more or less involved in this process (Italy, Poland and Romania). The neo-con hawks of Washington endorsed this actions while the EU and many NGOs stood against it.

What do you think about it?

Are these actions are morally wrong and hence strategically unecessary or are the human rights on the field of the War on Terrorism outdated just as the chevalric ideal used to be?
I am a free donkey!
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 12:58
The war on terrorism was a noble concept, but it is being implemented in such a way that it is just a continuation and intensification of the policies that gave rise to terrorism in the first place.

The war in Afghanistan could have stood to diminish terrorism, it won't now largely because of the war in Iraq. Iraq will turn out to be one of the greatest contributing factors to terrorism since the colonization of Palestine. The war in Lebanon will further increase terrorism, this is obvious enough.

The war on terrorism is what needs to be adjusted, and carried out in a different way with more honorable and practical objectives. International law, at least in this instance, isn't the problem.

Torture is and should always be illegal, and countries such as Egypt and Israel - which are among the most notable offenders in the world - should be prosecuted accordingly.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 12:58
No, it always proved a failure. It's useless, for each people you torture, you make two more terrorists.
Vae victis!
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 13:13
From a psychological view, the more you torture a person, the more he's losing his will for life, he just's want's his torture to end, and if he breaks he'll give you bad (wrong) information.

Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 18:09
Originally posted by Giannis

From a psychological view, the more you torture a person, the more he's losing his will for life, he just's want's his torture to end, and if he breaks he'll give you bad (wrong) information.

Not really. Under extreme pain you lose your senses and will be more likely to spill your guts. Also through the use of drugs you'll be under pain and all wacked out. They wont let you die. Its not hard for the CIA to get information out of someone. But most modern organizations or groups counter it easily by going off a "need to know" basis and one person doesnt usually hold more information then necessary.

Is it acceptable no. Should it be used yes.

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 19:03
I'm with Senator McCain when it comes to the issue of torture. He's one of the few U.S. politicians who underwent torture, when he spent five years at the Hanoi Hilton. As he describes it when his torturers wanted the names of his squadron mates he gave them the front line of the Green Bay Packers at the time. Torture is an unreliable way to get intelligence and is immoral.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 20:49
So your general point is: "it is immoral because it is unusefull". Yet, why are they still using something that has been proven a failure. Are they stupid (yes it is a very likely option) or aren't we able to face the reality?
Yet, Gundamor made a very good point: it is unlikely a nobody that gets caught be able to tell you more than the little he knows, no matter how terrible the tortures are.

Well I feel relived. Civilisation as we know it still have a few hours to live.
I am a free donkey!
Ildico View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Ildico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 00:19
It's really sad how desperate soldiers get in a time of war as to stoop as low as torturing others to fulfill their duty.

Unfortunately there's not many others ways to deal with these situations, but it doesn't make it right.

I would endorse the *eye for an eye* theory, but then it would support the same act we should try to prevent.

My, my, we do have a problem.....
Beauty is in the eye of that guy behind the spontaneous diversions, set aside for a good explorer, telling a story about the world.
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 02:17
Originally posted by Maharbbal

So your general point is: "it is immoral because it is unusefull". Yet, why are they still using something that has been proven a failure. Are they stupid (yes it is a very likely option) or aren't we able to face the reality?
Yet, Gundamor made a very good point: it is unlikely a nobody that gets caught be able to tell you more than the little he knows, no matter how terrible the tortures are.

Well I feel relived. Civilisation as we know it still have a few hours to live.

My exact point is by torturing people you deprive them of some of their most basic human rights. And usually for information that can not be relied on.
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 06:02
Originally posted by Gundamor

Originally posted by Giannis

Not really. Under extreme pain you lose your senses and will be more likely to spill your guts. Also through the use of drugs you'll be under pain and all wacked out. They wont let you die. Its not hard for the CIA to get information out of someone. But most modern organizations or groups counter it easily by going off a "need to know" basis and one person doesnt usually hold more information then necessary.

Is it acceptable no. Should it be used yes.

I followed a three week POW school, the first two weeks we were POW'S the last week we were the guardians. I've learned that if you want to take just one useful information you must succeed in three things:
1. Don't scare the hell out of them, they'll say anything.
2. Make sure that they'll never lose their conscience, stress tactic.
3. If you use force, don't make permanent damage. POW's that they think that they are gonna lose a limp or that you are going hurt them very bad are extremely dangerous.

To make a long story short, if you want to take some useful information, the only way is the interogation.

arsenka View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote arsenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2006 at 14:33
Maharbbal wrote:
"Are these actions are morally wrong and hence strategically unecessary or are the human rights on the field of the War on Terrorism outdated just as the chevalric ideal used to be?"

Sorry, Maharbbal, I think your question is a little bit naive. What human rights and moral are we talking about? War is antihuman and immoral in its very essence. Waging war supposes adjusting the possibility to hurt or kill another human being for the sake of some (noble, superior) goal. Using torure is just a little drop in the ocean. I do not consider dropping bombs or using napalm to be more moral than this.
CIA...Hm...
They also have a goal: defending one group of people (innocent citizens) from another group of people that menaces the first one(terrorists, criminals and so on).
I've also heard that they are not too punctilious in their methods. Suppose that they are reasoning in the categories of quantity (and maybe of quality - who knows?).
I mean that from their point of view it might be acceptable to hurt or kill one person in order to save ten or twenty. Anyhow I suppose such philosophy to be highly immoral and pointless. I wonder what will they do if they have to kill one person to save another one. One.
Will they try to determine whose life is more vauable? And how will they do it?
arsenka
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2006 at 18:19

The moral problems of torture don't really bother me, but it isn't very effective.  If someone is shoving pins under your fingernails, you're going to tell them anything to get them to stop.  Torture just isn't a good way of getting information.

I suppose "psychological torture" could be more effective when used properly, but I'm not familiar enough with it to say.

Member of IAEA
Cunctator View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Cunctator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 16:43
If torture never works, why did so many Resistance figures in occupied Europe commit suicide while they were in custody? Surely some of them at least were concerned that they were losing the will and the ability to resist. And we should not ever forget that Stalin used torture to get his enemies to confess to all sorts of ridiculous crimes during the purges of the 1930s.

I am not sure anyone really knows if torture works or not. Doesn't it depend on the type of torture that is used, the nature of those who are inflicting it, and the purpose for which it is employed?
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 18:55
Originally posted by Maharbbal

Lately many scandals appeared dealing with the use of torture and secret jails by the CIA all over the world. Some European government were more or less involved in this process (Italy, Poland and Romania). The neo-con hawks of Washington endorsed this actions while the EU and many NGOs stood against it.

What do you think about it?

Are these actions are morally wrong and hence strategically unecessary or are the human rights on the field of the War on Terrorism outdated just as the chevalric ideal used to be?

=======================================

depends on your viewpoint indivdualy...moraly and as an adherent to your nations law base...but that begs the issue...your original question was 'Is torture an acceptable weapon' and the answer historicaly whether one likes it or not... until the later stages of the 19th century and the promulgation of treaties identifying/restricting/banning it in the 20th century was : yes.

this subsequent rexamination of it is basicaly paradoxical in my view not that I condone it personaly...i don't..but the bottom line is that states to a lesser or greater degree still use it..in varied forms..eg . solitary confinement  etc.. in the penal codes.. as do individual violators of the law and terrorist groups and intelligence agencies to a degree...even though they may or may not be subject to criminal prosecution.

semanticaly i suppose one could justify this as 'interrogation'/ disciplinary actions...but the end results are basicaly the same..so yes... the answer to the question is depending on the semantics and degree of /type of /utilization... it might be found to still be acceptable.

It must be... it still being done....no matter the hue and the cry hence it's effectiveness is apparently still viable.

best

CV
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 14:08
Originally posted by Cunctator

If torture never works, why did so many Resistance figures in occupied Europe commit suicide while they were in custody? Surely some of them at least were concerned that they were losing the will and the ability to resist. And we should not ever forget that Stalin used torture to get his enemies to confess to all sorts of ridiculous crimes during the purges of the 1930s.

I am not sure anyone really knows if torture works or not. Doesn't it depend on the type of torture that is used, the nature of those who are inflicting it, and the purpose for which it is employed?

Yes but the info Stalin got was made up.

Aside from that I imagine many Resistance men wanted to escape the pain. The sheer unreliability of many of the Marquis anyway makes another case.
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 14:35
Originally posted by Dampier

Originally posted by Cunctator

Yes but the info Stalin got was made up.

Aside from that I imagine many Resistance men wanted to escape the pain. The sheer unreliability of many of the Marquis anyway makes another case.

There is also a small joke about Stalin and the interogations in USSR:

One day Stalin lost his eyeglasses, he was extremely mad, because he wanted to read the ''Pravda'', anyway he called immediately the head of KGB and ordered him to begin inspections for his eyeglasses. After a few hours he found his glasses in a drawer and he called again the head of KGB so that he can postpone the inspections. KGB answered ''Thank god, general secretary, that you found your glasses, because allready 1 million people admitted that they had stole it''.
 Post Reply Post Reply