Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What type of warrior would you like to be?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What type of warrior would you like to be?
    Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 11:06
As a variation on the "Which WWII army would you have been in?" in the military history forum, I would like to ask what kind of medieval warrior you would have been, and why?

Personally, I have allways liked the idea of being a longbow archer. Partially because of my teenage obsession with Robin Hood (Big smile), and partially because I think the longbow is one of the best weapons ever invented. And even though the fate of longbowmen when captured in battle was rather grim, I still would prefer it to being in the frontlines...
Of course, this is a totally unrelistic view, as a woman there is little to no chance I would (or will) ever be able to wield a longbow. I tried to draw one once on a medieval fair, and I must admit I could only stretch it for about 30cm...Embarrassed 

So what about you? Would you be an Immortal Guard or Varangian? An Anglo-Saxon ealdorman on foot, or a Norman knight on horseback? A crossbowman? Or would you like to be a Berserker with an axe? Tell me!

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 11:46
don't know is there such thing as a poetic warrior who only fights in wars to save lifes of his own people and lives in peace and in hormony with the nature and stuff if no than I would like to be a samurai or a sipahi they are both warriors who can fight on foot and horse back the one is better on foot than the other but you get the point.

they are both elites thow so. I probably would probably a farmer with a seis or a heyfork muhahaha
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 13:00
In a movie when they hand pick 10 chosen men for the really dangerous mission. I like to be one of the ones that doesn't get chosen.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 15:53
Originally posted by Paul

In a movie when they hand pick 10 chosen men for the really dangerous mission. I like to be one of the ones that doesn't get chosen.

I WIL ....to carey the bagsBig smile
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 16:52

I don't think I would have been a really good proper warrior, so in recognition of my limitations and my strengths, I would have become a "God's warrior", some medieval monk with a part time job in the Holy Inquisition.

Edited by Komnenos - 09-Aug-2006 at 16:53
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 16:59
One of the medieval war figures which is most detestable, the petty noble with no real land or fief, roaming the lands building up a band of followers and carving out his own mini empire where he pleases. Robert Guiscard is the best example.
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 21:39
I would be the warrior with the big muscles
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 02:59
 Norman ravager or Angevin fieflord with mighty fortifications to cover my retreat after raids in normandy, Britanny or ile-de-france. I would use morning star and the mace so that I don't spill blood. I would be blameless in front of the Creator, "never spilled any blood in my life, Dear Lord." LOL

Like the castle of sataignan built by Fulk nerra

Edited by Quetzalcoatl - 10-Aug-2006 at 03:01
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 04:18
I would want to be one of the Military Orders or of the Samurai or Ninja...  
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 10:26
A pagan chief in medieval Baltic.
I would learn natives how to fight in pikemen formation and to use some advanced tactics. Order and discipline.
Defending paganism against filthy Christians. Wink
sun_tzu345 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote sun_tzu345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 11:33
A samurai

-skilled in the art of the horse and bow
-good lamellae armor
-best swords
-cavalry&infantry
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 14:16
A horse archer.
Vae victis!
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 17:38
I would have liked to be an Ismaili assassin. Their ability to infiltrate and kill was amazing. Latin and Arab leaders feared them.

A samurai would have also been cool. Their culture and code of honor was awesome for their time.

Edited by Illuminati - 10-Aug-2006 at 17:41
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 17:46
Some sort of infantry captain or commander on a battlefield, though not a general - that is what I would be good at anyway.  I am very good at getting people to do things and do them right in times of crisis and  pressure; I leading by example is a part of my method.

I used to think I was born 1400 years too late.
milns View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote milns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 06:07
    I would like to be some kind of noble in army of Grand Duchy of Lithuania (probably whith some Semigalian origin )
Un beidzot liecas un sašķīst viss kristīgo bars -
Nav pārspējams šodien tiem zemgaļu niknums un kaujas spars!
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 09:33
Give me an axe and throw me in with the Varangians, they were fearless and loyal to the death, which appeals to me greatly, they were also probably one of the most feared units in the medieval world.

I've always liked the thought of them holding back whilst the battle rages on before them, until the last moment when they are ordered forward and in a furious charge smash through the enemy ranks.

or

If there wasnt any room LOL be an infantry officer, fighting my own little part of the battle and with any luck leading by example, like I think all good officers should.
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 18:41
Chinese Imperial Guard.
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 23:09
I'd like to be a wealthy French Paladin knight so i could afford the best horse and equipment money could buy.
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 23:15
I want to be a field marshal, with a very big mustache and a monocle.Big smile
Urungu Han View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Urungu Han Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 07:45
A steppe cavalry =)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>