Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is the longest living civilization?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Master_Blaster View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Master_Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the longest living civilization?
    Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 18:54

LOL such anger! LOLOL

Kids - You're not doing anything except helping me add to my postcount. I'm tired of trying to read through your bad English and counter your narrow-minded views with rationalization. Please stop responding to my posts. I want to engage in constructive dialogue - not hatemongering.

Edited by Master_Blaster - 15-Aug-2006 at 18:58
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 19:04
I think the oldest civilization is the one developed the toilet and flush, It saved us from looking for a bush everytime we need to relieve ourselves. Imagine the stench and hassle otherwise, + u would need about 5 million bushes in London alone. Not very civilized way to condcut one's affairs.
Kids View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 19:05
"Please stop responding to my posts. I want to engage in constructive dialogue - not hatemongering"

I guess that you are unable to counter my claim on Chinese science and technlogy and provide any books that discuss or comparison between India and Greece.

And I think the reason you called me racist because you were incapable of refuting my arguments. If I am really a Orientalist or racist, the administrator already kick me out.

Racist, bad-english, what else can you call me? Thats all you would refer anyone who raise questions about YOUR GREAT Indian civilization.

Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Master_Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 19:17
I already countered your claims with valid sources, and yes, I do feel that Indian civilization was one of the greatest in the world - at the same level as many others, including China's. I also feel that European and Arab and Iranian civilizations were great  - in fact I think they were superior to that of China's. Does that suffice? LOLOL

PS: AT LEAST LEARN TO USE THE QUOTE OPTION! LOL

Edited by Master_Blaster - 15-Aug-2006 at 19:18
Kids View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 19:22
"in fact I think they were superior to that of China's"

You are contradicting yourself; you said I am racist, but I never say anything about China being superor to India. In fact, I agree India is way older than China.

But, now, you said Europeans and Iran are SUPERIOR to CHINA

Great, this proofs that you are an Orientalist and racist.

By the way, didnt you say you dont want to response to my posts? why continue to do so?

Edited by Kids - 15-Aug-2006 at 19:23
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Master_Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 19:24
I said China was inferior - and if you had any grasp of the English language you'd have noticed the context in which I stated it! LOL

I keep responding to your posts b/c you're so damn entertaining! LOL
Kids View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 23:18
"I also feel that European and Arab and Iranian civilizations were great  - in fact I think they were superior to that of China's"

So, now you said China is inferior, and you reponse that it has to do with English context. Great, first, you accused me of being racist even I didnt say anything about Indian inferiority. Then, you called me bad English speaker after I provided all academic books, while you provided only wikipedia (even my little sister, who is 9 years old, have edited some articles on wikipedia. This is why most of universities ban the wikipedia for part of research papers).

If you think I am inferior in intelligence or mental capacity, isnt that also discrimination? Afterall, my Chinese and Indian friend in my physics class do not speark well in English, yet they got scholarships; do you also laugh at them because they speak "bad english"??

If I wrote bad English, this is because I dont write formally as I do in my school or work. Beside, this isnt english class. If I, a honor student in Political Scince, write bad english, I dont know how should I call you. Your accusation of my personal abilities is an attempt to remove my (as well as the members of this discussion) attention from the argument I made on the topic. By doing so, it enable you to shift the emphasis/core of the discussion to the unrelated topics that have nothing to do with India or China. 

Since you think I am lower than you in terms of language capability, and you claim that its ridiculous to response to an ESL, why you still want to response? isnt that also make you as equally inferior?

Edited by Kids - 15-Aug-2006 at 23:37
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 05:38
Originally posted by Master_Blaster

I enjoyed this debate very much, you are very knowledgeable.Smile

Thanks, I did too.

I don't think we disagree much on facts so much as on interpretation. For instance I don't think you can look at Iraq and say this is still the 'Mesopotamian civilisation'. Ignoring that early Mesopotamia can be said to have more than one 'civilisation', all of them were pretty much supplanted by the Persian conquest, let alone the Arab one.

Similarly you can't look at Egypt now and say this represents the 'Egyptian civilisation' which lasted at the latest until the Arab conquest.

So I don't think you can say that Mesopotamian civilisation is the 'oldest living civilisation', though it is arguable it may have been the first to arise.

I only brought in Shinto because its origins are so obscure. 300 BCE seems to be OK for the beginning of the Yayoi period, and as the earliest known date for the existence of Shinto, but the question remains whether Shinto already existed in Japan previously as part of Jomon culture, or was brought in as part of the new immigration, or what.

There is certainly better evidence for Hinduism being the oldest extant religion than for any other.

Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Master_Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 21:01

Originally posted by gcle2003

I don't think we disagree much on facts so much as on interpretation. For instance I don't think you can look at Iraq and say this is still the 'Mesopotamian civilisation'. Ignoring that early Mesopotamia can be said to have more than one 'civilisation', all of them were pretty much supplanted by the Persian conquest, let alone the Arab one.

You are right; I incorrectly stated that the Mesopotamian civilization is the oldest continuous civilization. I did not mean to state it as such; I simply meant to say that it was the oldest civilization. I agree in that since the various peoples which existed at that time have died our or become assimilated with conquering peoples, it cannot be considered the oldest continuous civilization.

And as I have already stated and provided a source indicating as such (again, I hate to keep beating the drums here), that the Indian civilization began circa 7000 BC and the Chinese civilization began circa 6500 BC. Are we to conclude from this that the Indian civilization is the oldest continuous civilization? The beginnings of this civilization has its roots with the Dravidian peoples who migrated to India after first settling in the Middle East and primarily establishing agricultural societies on the Iranian Plateau, would this then imply that the Iranian peoples (or Iranic peoples so as not to confuse the twofold definition of Iranian, i.e. a) a citizen of Iran vs b) of or pertaining to the Aryan inhabitants of the Iranian Plateau) is the oldest continuous civilization?

It appears to me that if we are to define the oldest continuous living civilization as the first peoples to make advances in certain fields and a people that continues to strive today then we would need to concede that the Dravidian peoples are the oldest.

Similarly you can't look at Egypt now and say this represents the 'Egyptian civilisation' which lasted at the latest until the Arab conquest.

The modern day Egyptians are the descendants of pre-Islamic peoples who cultivated the Nile Valley prior to the Arab conquest, and these people adopted Arab language, customs, religion, and culture. They are not the descendants of a massive Arab migration out of the Arabian Peninsula and into Egypt. The modern day Egyptian Arabs did not completely and totally supplant the Egyptian civilization that was already there rather, they assimilated it.

Furthermore, if you speak with an Arab from Egypt, you will notice that they do in fact take a great amount of pride in their Egyptian ancestry. If you are trying to imply that because a people have been conquered or evolved and hence cannot be considered as a continuous civilization, then that is another point of contention and interpretation. For example, just because the Egyptian civilization declined and became assimilated by a foreign people it does not necessarily mean that all Egyptians died out and their civilization came to a total end. Similarly, just because the Dravidian peoples were conquered and pushed to the southern parts of modern day India, and their religious beliefs became incorporated with their Aryan conquerors- it does not mean that their civilization completely died out. These people continue to exist today, they practice the same belief system their ancestors did, and they speak Dravidian languages derived from the same tongue spoken by their ancestors more than 9000 years ago.

So I don't think you can say that Mesopotamian civilisation is the 'oldest living civilisation', though it is arguable it may have been the first to arise.

I agree completely, it was the first to arise and has since died out and died out completely.

I only brought in Shinto because its origins are so obscure. 300 BCE seems to be OK for the beginning of the Yayoi period, and as the earliest known date for the existence of Shinto, but the question remains whether Shinto already existed in Japan previously as part of Jomon culture, or was brought in as part of the new immigration, or what.

According to this argument, the beliefs, which were incorporated in Hinduism with the Aryan conquest of the Indus River basin, also have origins that date back many thousands of years before the accepted begin date given to Vedic Hinduism. If we apply your method of reasoning to determine that Shinto-ism is much older than the date ascribed to it (300 BC) then we can also argue that Hinduism is much older than the date ascribed to it (1500 BC).

perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 15:44
the oldest civilization is Greek. Almost the same language, same alphabet.
The origins comes up to 10000bc.

Not India is the old civilization that we have read and not china remindes something of the past.

regards

Samos national guard.

260 days left.
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 15:49
I have noticed that when you are reffering to old civilization and great ones you avoid mention the greek. According to what i have read (definetely ,ore than china india or so) i don't think that is there any comparison. I am willing to debate to anyone argues/

sorry for the offtopic

regards 
Samos national guard.

260 days left.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2006 at 04:50
The question was about the oldest living civilisation. (It got distracted a bit to the oldest living religion, but it was always a question of living.)

Greek civilisation today is not the same as it was in the ancient world, let alone before it. And there were no Greeks as early as 10,000 BC let alone any Greek civilisation or alphabet. 1,000 BC would be closer.

There is only one living civilisation, it's global, and it's somewhere between 50 and 100 years old.

All the others are dead.
Richard XIII View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Richard XIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2006 at 10:20
What the hell is a civilisation?

"I want to know God's thoughts...
...the rest are details."

Albert Einstein
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2006 at 11:25

The question was about the oldest living civilisation. (It got distracted a bit to the oldest living religion, but it was always a question of living.)

Greek civilisation today is not the same as it was in the ancient world, let alone before it. And there were no Greeks as early as 10,000 BC let alone any Greek civilisation or alphabet. 1,000 BC would be closer.

There is only one living civilisation, it's global, and it's somewhere between 50 and 100 years old.

All the others are dead.
you must be joking.
at 1100 bc the Dorieis (Greek tribe like Minoas,Achaous,Iones) return from their colonization of nothern Balkans.  
At 10000bc a huge phisical disaster destroy a large piece of the Greek Civilization. Was the disaster of Deukaliona.

The topic is not refer to the current civilization. Even if it was you must not consider civilization the way people dress or the food they ate etc. Civilization is the culture, art -music, and of course the history of each nation. Right now American way of life is almost the dominate way of living. If that you are meaning.
The modern Greeks are the evolution of ancient Greeks. The modern greek alphabet is at 90% the same with the ancient one. The ancient greek language is similar to modern. Can you read ancient greeks? can you read modern? I guess not. Then how casn you have opinion of that. Just searching google? Yes nice way.

regards
Samos national guard.

260 days left.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2006 at 05:21
Originally posted by perikles

All the others are dead.
you must be joking.
at 1100 bc the Dorieis (Greek tribe like Minoas,Achaous,Iones) return from their colonization of nothern Balkans.  
I said 'closer to' 1000 BC. I agree it was slightly before, but the Minoan civilisation, assuming you call it Greek, was a whole lot closer to 1000 than 10000 BC.

At 10000bc a huge phisical disaster destroy a large piece of the Greek Civilization. Was the disaster of Deukaliona.
This is supposed to be a history forum, not a mythological one.

The topic is not refer to the current civilization. Even if it was you must not consider civilization the way people dress or the food they ate etc. Civilization is the culture, art -music, and of course the history of each nation. Right now American way of life is almost the dominate way of living. If that you are meaning.
The major determinant of a civilisation is scientific knowledge and technology, facilitated by ease of communication within it. Religion is sometimes a second factor, though a single civilisation may host different religious beliefs. Differences in art forms tend to have a technological base, in both the visual arts and music.

What I mean by our current civilisation is that, globally, we share the same scientific knowledge and technology. Our artistic output is much the same, with only minor local differences: where there are differences, as with world music, the tendency is for them to merge. Our educational institutions (apart from the religious ones) teach the same subjects in the same ways.

I don't see any of that as particularly American.

The modern Greeks are the evolution of ancient Greeks.
To some extent. However the first Greeks didn't arrive in the peninsula until late in the second millenium BC.

And the civilisation of modern Greece is totally unlike the civilisations of the ancient world.
The modern greek alphabet is at 90% the same with the ancient one. The ancient greek language is similar to modern. Can you read ancient greeks? can you read modern?
I can read the alphabet, but I don't speak more than a few words: I only worked in Greece a few weeks, though my children went to school there for a while, and they speak modern Greek. I'm helped with the alphabet by the fact I speak Russian.

But there were NO alphabets of any kind before 2000BC; the first apparently alphabetic inscriptions we have come from the Sinai a little later than that, with some indication that the Phoenician alphabet, the earliest we're really sure about, developed from that system. And the Greek developed from the Phoenician.

Are you claiming that modern Greek civilsation is related to that of semi-nomadic tribes in 17th Dynasty Sinai, just because the modern Greek alphabet can be traced back to theirs?

(I write that not knowing if there are any contenders in India or south-east Asia: China and Japan of course never did develop an alphabet.)

I guess not. Then how casn you have opinion of that. Just searching google? Yes nice way.

So the descent continues into sarcasm as a substitute for debate.

As a matter of fact I didn't google any of this. I didn't check back on any of this except the 2000BC date, which I confirmed in John Man's excellent book Alpha Beta. If you're looking for references to back up anything about Greek civilisation, then my basic reference book is the Oxford History of the Ancient World, which then itself gives plenty of other references,

regards
XueKaiYuan View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote XueKaiYuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2006 at 22:24
Errr... we were going off topic, hinduism is a religion, not a longest living civlisation. some records prove it to be over 8000 yeas old, other religions like buddhism are only 600 over years old.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLLLLLLOOOLLL!!!
Kids View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2006 at 04:49

"we were going off topic"

Master Blaster was clearly a racist, and he was banned from the forum. The topic was supposely about the longest LIVING civilization, and then he claimed that India as oldest living civilization while China had the shortest history of all.

Then, perikles now claimed that Greece IS the longest living civilization and criticized China as being inferior in terms of contributions to the world.

I have no idea why people have such negative view toward Chinese civilization.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2006 at 05:08
Civilisations aren't determined by race or region, but by technology and the arts. The same race/region may see many different civilisations, and a single civilisation may encompass many races/regions/creeds.

The civilisations currently in place in India and China are both pretty recent. But in both places there were civilisations several thousand years ago. Personally I don't see any great difference between India and China in this respect.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2006 at 05:23
other religions like buddhism are only 600 over years old.

approximately 2300 years
Originally posted by Richard XIII

What the hell is a civilisation?

Ah! Now thats a question I can relate to!

EDIT: Sorry, buddhism is 2500 years, its been 2300 years since Ashoka converted to it.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 27-Aug-2006 at 05:25
Kids View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2006 at 05:30

Anyway, I belive that the current archaeological evidences support the fact the the world oldest civilizations existed in Mesopotamia around 6000 years ago.

However, those civilizations were the oldest but not the longest LIVING civilization. Afterall, Sumerian and other Near Eastern civilizations were conquered and replaced by other empires. Historians generally believe that China have the longest continued history on earth (including the introduction on China of the History Articles of AE History forum).

Fact 1: Chinese people still use Chinese writing that is over 4000 years old.

Fact 2: The idea of Son of Heaven (political idea, similar to Plato's Philosophy King) has adhered since 3000 years ago. Even Mao held similar view. The Legalist philosophy of Warring States (around 500 BC) still influence Chinese legal system. In some way, the harsh laws of Singapore by Chinese elites may trace to such tradition.

Fact 3: Despite numerious attempts of foreign invasions, Chinese way of life remain, and the foreign invaders usually became Chinese in the end (such as Kublian Khan of Mongols or the later Manchurians    

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>