Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is the longest living civilization?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Kids View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the longest living civilization?
    Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 10:11
My Indian friend say there was Indian state since 5000 years ago!

My Chinese friend say China has the world longest continuous history because they still write the same characters and practice many ancient traditions that their ancestors did in 4000 years ago.

My Iranian friend say they had the 1st great empire and was the oldest.

My Greek friend say they had longest history since they still speak and write Greek

....................and many people of different ethnicities claim their culture is greatest living fossil.

Everyone has bias toward their own heritage so it is better to have a poll or serious academic discussion on this issue.

CIA world fact book and many other international organization states China as the world longest living civilization.........but my Indian friend said China was conqueried by Mongols, Turks (???), and Mancurians. And even Mongolians today didnt belive they are part of Chinese history. But, again, if the Macedonians were considered as part of Greek history (Macedonians were considered by ancient Greeks as semi-barbarians), I guess Mongols could be interpreted as "Sinicized" tribe of China.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 10:48
I've heard some Jews claim its Judism.
And on it goes.
Everyone wants their's to be the longest living, continiously existing, oldest, whatever, and they all have a carefully designed set of rules to swing it their way. Very predictable and lame.

Civilisation is essentialy a pattern of settlment, i can't think of many that have remianed totaly andf completly unchanged over the millennia. In fact, i can't think of any, peroid.
Arrrgh!!"
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 10:48
The Inuits! From the day they passed the Bering strait (some thousand years ago), untill now little have changed in their way of life.
Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 10:53
If your going to play it that way, they i'd nominate the San of South Africa. Archeological records point to a fairly consistant existance going back 20,000+ years. But even there, we see a few changes as they adopt new technology and techniques.

Of course, they were semi-nomadic. No civis, no civilisation. Don't you just love the Roman world view?
Arrrgh!!"
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 11:07
Australian Aborigines are far older, they formed hunting societies 40000-50000 years ago in Australia.

And yes, I love the Roman world view.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 11:15
Thats when they are supposed to have arrived there,, but they are not a consistant civilisation in the simplified sense, their lifestyles varied considerable depending on where in Oz they lived (climate and enviroment), not to mention changes, otherwise, yes, they are pretty damn old too, but African hunting societies are older still.

The question is, do we go with the Romano-Urban centric notion of Civilisation and exclude them, or do we try to take a more ethnicity/lifestyle group approach, in which case the Greek/Chinese/etc. come accross as relative babies compared to the likes of the San, and other African and Australian groups.
Generaly speaking, people put the Civis in Civilisation and exclude nomadic hunter types as 'tribal', and thus their often greater and easily traced continuity is ignored.
Arrrgh!!"
Master_Blaster View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Master_Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 20:50
Indian culture, and Hinduism are thousands of years old (Hinduism is the oldest religion in the world and its beginnings are unknown) however, there has never been one long-standing continuous Indian nation.

Indian and Chinese civilizations are two of the oldest in the world, and both have rich histories, but I recall learning in grammar school that the Egyptian civilization was the first great civilization on earth.

Also, bear in mind that "civilization" is described as beginning with the written word and that would make the Middle East - and specifically the Mesopotamia area or modern day Iraq - as the oldest civilization on earth.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 06:50
I doubt that Hinduism is the oldest religion in the world, i'd reckon there are animist religions in Africa that are older.
Arrrgh!!"
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 08:43
I agree, but you can describe hinduism as the oldest organised religion.
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 12:24
Every religion has some type of organisation. What you mean by organised?
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 13:40
A caste of priests, significance of temples, prays, sacred artifacts and books and so on. In a few words a specific way of worshiping a deity.
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 15:11
Temples, case of priests(shamans), prays and artifacts i think are part of all religions from animism to christianity. If you talking books probably the oldest then would be Zoroastrianism which was founded around 1200BC based on revealed scripture.
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Master_Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 20:04
Originally posted by Cywr

I doubt that Hinduism is the oldest religion in the world, i'd reckon there are animist religions in Africa that are older.

Ask any religious studies or philosophy professor and they will tell you that Hinduism is the oldest religion in the world. In fact, it is so old that a date or founder cannot even be attributed to it.

It is the sister religion of Zoroastrianism, and the concept of the Holy Trinity in Christianity actually originated with Hinduism:

Christianity: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost

Hinduism: The Creator (Brahma) , the Perserver (Vishnu) , the Destroyer (Shiva).

Edited by Master_Blaster - 09-Aug-2006 at 20:35
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 21:36
I personally believe that the longest living civilization is yet to be percieved. My bets go on to the USA as being the longest living civilization....EVER!
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 12:11
The concept of a unitary god has been prevalent amongst the aboriginals for thousand of years as well.

Equally there is said to be more civility in the Indus civilization with a society base on equality than some others.(Although IVC is work in progress i admit.
Odin View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 13:51
It depends on what what concept of civilization you are using. For example, one can conider China as one continuous cvilization but can also think of China as 3 successive civilizations (Arnold Toynbee divides up Chinese history into the Hsia-Shang, Classical Sinic, and Buddho-Sinic civilizations). I happen to follow Toynbee's conception of a civilization, and So I consider the longest-lasting civilization ever to be Ancient Egypt (Around 3,500BC to around 500AD).

The oldest living civilization is Buddho-Sinic (originated around 300AD after the fall of the Han Dynasty) followed by Western and Orthodox Christendom (both originated around 600AD). The youngest civilization is Islamic, which started when the Abbasid Caliphate (which was the universal state of the preceding Syriac civilization) collapsed.
"Of the twenty-two civilizations that have appeared in history, nineteen of them collapsed when they reached the moral state the United States is in now."

-Arnold J. Toynbee
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Master_Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 20:36
Hinduism is the oldest RELIGION!!! How many times must I emphasize this? Shamanism and animism are NOT religions, rather, they are beliefs which vary from culture to culture.

The oldest civilization has to be the Middle East - primarily Mesopatamia (modern day Iraq) because "civilization" is measured by the FIRST WRITTEN WORD and the first traceable written records are attributed to the Middle East.

Sure, there may have been some peoples who developed agricultural societies, but there were no records written during that time!
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 07:37
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

I personally believe that the longest living civilization is yet to be percieved. My bets go on to the USA as being the longest living civilization....EVER!

When 's it going to begin?

For another view:

"America is the first country to have gone from barbarism to decadence without the usual intervening period of civilization" - Oscar Wilde.
Kids View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 16:22
"Hinduism is the oldest RELIGION!!!"

How about the proto-Indo-European religions? the Native People's religion? Japanese Shinto?

Come on, Hinduism isnt the oldest, but ONE of oldest.....
Kids View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 16:28
"The oldest civilization has to be the Middle East"

I agree. But, it isnt the LONGEST LIVING civilization; it certainly had the oldest civilizations but they were conquered and abosorbed by later empires and nomadic invaders, such as Arabs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>