Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

History of Middle eastern music.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: History of Middle eastern music.
    Posted: 07-Aug-2006 at 02:21
How come indian and turkish music is similiar.
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 06:17
I'd like to hear some examples of the similarity.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 07:40
Which branch of Turkish music are you talking about?
Savdogar View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Savdogar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 13:12
turkish, persian, arab, indian music have similiraties and many common
just look at melodies, meaning
...i dont need this...
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 15:55
Turkish-Persian-Arabic trio is okay, IMHO Indian music is far away from being similar to middle eastern music.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 17:03
I don't think we can easily label Turkish music as "Middle-Eastern".

Turkey has ties to various regions, so its culture is effected by Balkan, Caucaus, Mediterranean and Central Asia.

The local music of Aegean has some Greek aspects in it, while the local music of Eastern Anatolia has Caucaus elements.

Turkish Art Music (Trk Sanat Mziği) or Ottoman Music is the one that we can definitely call Mid-Eastern.

Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 19:09
I agree that the local music of Turkey are noticeably different from, for example, the local music of Saudi Arabia. Even, in different part of Turkey the musical enstruments change dramatically as well as the sounds.

However, some local music of Turkey are similar to Syrian and Iraqis local music, especially from: Urfa, Antep, Antakya, Adana, Malatya etc. And also, the music style "Uzun Hava" is pretty much common tradition in Mid East, which all means that The Turkish classical music is not the one. But these can't represent Turkish music either. I, personally, label Turkish music as "Anatolian", as a branch of Middle Eastern music. It's not the same as other Mid East music, but has enough similarities to be a branch. If we separate Turkish music from MidEast group, then we must say that all of the members of MidEast music club have enough differences to separate themselves from the club. Even in Arabic world, there are really very different musical sounds (But if you aren't familiar with the sounds, most probably you can't figure out the differences)
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2006 at 00:41
Some say Balkanic music and Middle Eastern music sound very alike by their melody, beats, and vocal.
Samo Sloga Srbina Spasava
Only Unity Can Save the Serb
The Gypo View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote The Gypo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2006 at 01:06
Middle eastern music consists of 1/3 beats...the melody is arranged so that individual instruments play and "show off"...not like a western orchestra who play as a group

examples of mixed middle eastern music where western ideals with arabic instruments or vice versa were used include songs by: Om Kalthoum, Abdel Wahab, Fairuz and Warda...you will often hear violins and cellos playing a 1/3 beat not the normal 4/4...

percussion takes the master stand as time keeper while the lute(oud in arabic along with the zither (kanun), clarinet (nay) (these three instruments along with the percussion[tabla-amiddle eastern drum and cymbals] are known in arabic as takht) give arabic overtones

to flesh out their songs, the aforementioned singers used small orchestras including violins, cellos, electric guitars and flutes

hope this hasnt confused anyone

Edited by The Gypo - 18-Aug-2006 at 01:13
Savdogar View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Savdogar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2006 at 14:05
i found that Turkish, Uzbek, Persian, Azeri, some Arabian music have something COMMON.
However, all of them can act as unique but still there are some similarities. maybe in melody, rythm or meaning.
I THINK EASTERN MUSIC CAN BE CATEGORIZED INTO ONE GROUP WHICH DISTINGUISHES FROM eUROPEAN OR OCEANIA CULTURES.
...i dont need this...
BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2006 at 01:40
I was thinking instruments are similiar througout these regions and i think these instruments can be found even in china.So where did they originate and how did they travel
dud View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote dud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2009 at 16:02
I don't know the explanation behind similar music styles. But early Middle Eastern instruments provided the basis for many modern instruments. For example, the Shawm, originally a hunting horn used by the Turks, was the predecessor of the Oboe (haut bois). The shawm is particularly famous for two things, one that you had to wear a strap on your cheeks to keep your embouchure (mouth position) in place, and two that many shawm players went blind in their old age due to the stress that playing the instrument put on their eyes.
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2011 at 23:42
Here a video that has short musical examples of different Middle-Eastern countries.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X947C_ylpjs

Is it OK to post here music videos?
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2012 at 22:12
Turkish music is very influenced by Byzantinian music, and I read somewhere that is close to Ancient Greek too. Here an Ottoman example from 17th century:

Edited by Don Quixote - 19-Feb-2012 at 22:13
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2012 at 01:52
Ottoman Turkish music

Edited by Don Quixote - 06-Mar-2012 at 01:55
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2012 at 01:17

Edited by Don Quixote - 20-Mar-2012 at 01:19
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2012 at 01:33
I love this one

Edited by Don Quixote - 21-Mar-2012 at 01:34
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2012 at 04:43
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2012 at 23:36
Ottoman Classical song

Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2012 at 23:45
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>