Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWorld War II: the Moral Struggle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: World War II: the Moral Struggle
    Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 13:13
I was recently reading Why the Allies Won by Richard Overy, which is an analysis of what it was the Allies did which allowed them to defeat the Axis powers.  One of his last chapters was about the moral struggle and the struggle for ideas in World War II.  He acknowledged that historians don't like to pass judgement on history, but he said that it cannot be doubted that people will fight better for a good cause than an evil one.

I think this is false.  One of the main reasons we consider the Allies the good side was because they totally walloped the Axis so much that the Axis side of things is not even heard, and it becomes completely evil.

Even for the Germans who did like Hitler and fought in the war, I'm sure most did not ascribe to the hateful, racist notions of Mein Kampf.  When asked why they fought, I really doubt most would say "Because I wish to aid in the subjugation of Europe", most would have said things like "because my country needs me", "to get revenge on the Western Powers who wronged us at Versailles", and later in the war "to defend Germany from Bolshevism".

The Japanese most certainly thought they were fighting for good in the form of the Emperor.

The Allied side is not all good either.  Most Americans fought the Japanese out of a seething hatred for the Japanese who had sucker punched us at Pearl Harbor.  Opinion polls at the time showed that a great number of Americans wanted to exterminate the Japanese race from the face of the Earth.  Most Russians fought for the simple hatred of the invaders who had violated their motherland and killed their family members, or because they knew what Stalin would do to them if they did not fight.

In short, I do not think most people in World War II fought for very complex ideals like the love of liberty or the right of self-determination, or even notions of racial superiority.  Most fought for simple things like patriotism, duty, hatred of a certain enemy, or simple revenge.  We have only rationalized those motivations into the form they take now of an altruistic crusade against tyranny (which is quite ludicrous given that the Soviet Union was our ally).

Edited by Genghis - 01-Aug-2006 at 15:09
Member of IAEA
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 14:04
I agree with you. These ideas become even more clear when you take into account that many of the Nazi-party's worst crimes, like the holocaust and the medical tests on humans, were not known to the world until after the war was won by the allies.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 15:10
That is another very good point, Aelfgifu.
Member of IAEA
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 15:30
Being as Britain was responsible for the deaths of more Indians during the war than the Germans were Jews. A totally overwhelming victory of allied proportions by the Axis powers would probably have brought about a similar good v bad post war historical interpretation.

Edited by Paul - 01-Aug-2006 at 15:32
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 17:49
Every power after the fact writes the history books in which they ascribe victory to their own moral superiority, real or imagined. I do think the Germans tried to live up to the ideals of Hitler, they were regularly indoctrinated with his ideas on racial supremacy, need to defend the Fatherland, the evil of Bolshevism, the need to give the Aryan race its place of supremacy in the world. They considered this to be a good and just cause and they committed themselves to it fervently, in much the same way as the racist democratic nations of the Allies considered the "freedom of Europe"and the right to defend parliamentary democracy from fascism as a noble and just cause. Both sides believed they were fighting for the right, both sides had a dissident minority who disagreed with their government's morals and both sides would paint themselves as the vindicated, just winner if they won the war.
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 19:30

In general, I agree with the argument that the so-called "moral justification" of most wars is ad hoc.

However, among the various examples of "complex ideals" that Genghis brought up (love of liberty, right of self-determination, notions of racial superiority), the notion of racial superiority cannot be separated completely from "patriotism, duty, hatred of a certain enemy, or simple revenge". Take Japanese patriotism during WWII as an example, it was a complex mixture of (1) revived Shintoism (2) militarism, and (3) racism. The success of the Japanese modernization gave the Japanese people a sense of racial superiority over their less developed Asian neighbours. In fact one could even evoke "racism" as an explanation for the excessive brutality the Japanese showed towards its neighbours - once you see someone less worthy than you or inferior to you as a human being, you do not want to just kill that person because he or she is your enemy. You torture them, inflict pain and conduct biological experiments on them as if they're animals. That's essentially what the Japanese did.

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 23:13
That's true Flyingzone, but I was just trying to say that even then, it was just a base, gut hatred, not one based on complex ideas like those of the many racial pseudophilosophers who had influenced Hitler, or the dumb theories they based on perverted science.  For them, it was no more complex than "they're animals".
Member of IAEA
Red Russian View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 23:25
There is no such thing as good and evil, just different point of veiws. Though the nazi's were wrong, I don't think they could see it at the time, as many people cannot. The Nazi's felt that god was on there side. Of course so did the amercians. I think the US covers up many things, but the reasons for WWII are probaly not one of them. I think the nazi's and japenesse for that matter, were who they were. Doing what they felt was right. SO really can you define them as any worse then us? We did what we felt was right? No side felt they broke an moral boundries, a side from some germans. The goverment has great affect on people, thats no new suprise. I belive that the German goverment and jap goverment turned there people agianst the Allies as we did agianst the Axis.

You do bring up a good point that history is written after the fact by the victors. Unfortunetly that is all to true. We all amy be studying a lie written down by some crazy historian, in order to cover up the real truth. But, who knows?
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2006 at 04:41
The Nazi's felt that god was on there side.

The German fascism was a-religious. There was some flirtation with the old German gods, but the Nazi's did not claim god was on their side, they denied his existance, or at least the they denied the need to worship him...

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2006 at 05:50
Irrespective of all that, the reason the Allies won is fundamentally because there were a lot more of them. And, as a result, they were richer. And they had a secure manufacturing base out of range of any attack.

The big guy with the longer reach always beats the little guy, especially if the big guy is richer.

Once the initial surprise was over, the Japanese and the Germans never had a chance.

And, Paul, where do you get the British killed more Indians than the Germans did Jews from?

If you mean more Indians died from 1939-45 than Jews did, that's not the same thing at all. 'Killing' implies deliberate action.

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2006 at 13:15

Exactly, the reasons for Allied victory were certainly 'tangible' reasons.

Member of IAEA
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2006 at 15:08
Hum as usual on WWII there are a lo of things to talk about.

@ Aef. : people knew what was going on in the concentration camps. Just yesterday a jewish hungrian who was lucky enough to be exanged against money in Switzerland in 1944 was explaining on the radio that when she had to go in the shower to get cleaned before the border, all of her friends were sure it would be some kind of gaz that would get off from the shower. So people who wanted to know knew, those that didn't know were whereas in very remote places or not interested.

Concerning the topic of this thread, I guess the historian Genghis is refering to at the begining is not that wrong after all. If you consider that a soldier that thinks his cause is fair is a better one on average that one that fights because he has to, that may mean that more American and Russian soldiers were convinced their fight was fair. On the other hand when you see how ferocely both the German and the Japonese defended themselves, that may indicates eventhough more of them were sure they were fighting for a just cause they didn't manage to overweight the two superpowers they were facing.

So paradoxally, not only fanatism doesn't help to win wars but it may as well contribut to your defeat.

M.
I am a free donkey!
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2006 at 15:41
@ Aef. : people knew what was going on in the concentration camps. [..] So people who wanted to know knew, those that didn't know were whereas in very remote places or not interested.

The people living under the German rule, especially in Eastern-Europe, might have known, or at least might have had a strong suspicion. I also know stories of people who had been in camps here in the Netherlands. Some of them suspeced, but no-one knew for sure. People gave themselves up sometimes, truly believing that relocation and heavy labor was the worst to expect. Most of all, many seemed not to want to believe. Before the thruth of the genocide came out, for many the possibility of such things was unbelievable...

But I was here talking about the allies. Did they know? I think few would have truly believed it possible. They too might have suspected, but they did not know enough, I would say, to make it a main point in their program. They used it afterwards to prove they were the morally right ones (justifiably so, I'd say), but it cannot have been a major factor in their motives during the war.

Post Reply Post Reply