Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best Infantry of Renaissance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Who were the best infantry soldiers in the Renaissance?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [11.88%]
8 [7.92%]
24 [23.76%]
41 [40.59%]
3 [2.97%]
9 [8.91%]
1 [0.99%]
3 [2.97%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Infantry of Renaissance
    Posted: 29-Nov-2004 at 03:04
Thoughts?
"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2004 at 16:37

What is exact timeframe of renaissance warfare ? XVI century ?

If so I would choose the janissaries or spanish infantry..also Zaphorozian Cossacks should be mentioned...

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2004 at 16:57
For the purpose of this poll, XV-XVI centuries.

faram View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote faram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2004 at 15:06
Spanish infantry!
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2004 at 17:44
Los Tercios Espanoles

http://www.geocities.com/capicontreras/
http://es.geocities.com/capitancontreras/

Edited by Jalisco Lancer
capcartoonist View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote capcartoonist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 10:20

The Janissaries were defeated by German landsknechte at the seige of Vienna in 1529.

Swiss pikemen were good.  They defeated the mounted knights of Charles the Bold of Burgundy in 1477 (Battle of Nancy).

Cossacks were probably the best light cavalry of their time.

The English longbowmen were very good in their day, but were supplanted by the musket.  Actually, I'd say the longbowmen were of the Medieval Period.  Gunpower is a Renaissance innovation.

Spanish infantry, the dreaded tercios, was also good.  Until the modern era, and the innovations of Gustav Adolph of Sweden (died 1632).

Cap
TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 13:22
Originally posted by capcartoonist

The Janissaries were defeated by German landsknechte at the seige of Vienna in 1529.

Jasnissaries defeated lancknechts next year in Hungary during open field battle.. and Zaphorozian Cossaks haven't good cavalry at all..contrary to the popular belief they were very good infantry..

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 14:15
but he did not say Zaporozhians, and later during Russian rule, Zaporozhians (Black-Sea Cossacks) indeed had good cavalry.
TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2004 at 04:32

Originally posted by Temujin

but he did not say Zaporozhians, and later during Russian rule, Zaporozhians (Black-Sea Cossacks) indeed had good cavalry.

I assume he refer to my previous post and in fact within specified timeframe there were only Zaphorozian Cossacks and Don Cossacks which (both) have good infantry but not good cavalry (Crimean Tatar cavalry or polish light cavalry were much better).

BTW during XVIII century, under Russian rule Zaphorozian Cossack ceased to exist..

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2004 at 15:18
no, there were just known under a different name, black sea cossacks.
TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2004 at 05:53

Originally posted by Temujin

no, there were just known under a different name, black sea cossacks.

No,  Black Sea Cossacks were formed from the part of former Zaphorozian Cossacks in 1788 and this was not just the other name.. many Zaphorozian Cossacks have migrated in XVIII century into Ottoman Empire and founded Danubian Sich.

But I think we are off -topic here..let discuss about infantry form XVI century..

Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2004 at 06:18
I'm going for the Spanish.
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2004 at 22:53

Simply put, the Spanish.

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2005 at 21:51
Originally posted by TJK

Originally posted by capcartoonist

Jasnissaries defeated lancknechts next year in Hungary during open field battle...

And what battle would that be?

TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2005 at 15:28
Well, I have mixed up the two different battles : in 1530 the landsknecht were just unsucessfull during siege of Buda (as janissaries at Vienna) but on 21st August 1541 landsknecht commanded by Wilhelm Roggendorf were competely defeated by janissaries (aslo near Buda).
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2005 at 18:09

Ambiguous term 'best'

The best infantry were the Levellers. They were excellent quality soldiers though far from the finest of the period. But they fought for the finest cause of the era (possible in world history upto that point of time). And they fought freely and on conviction.

Newcastles Whitecoats who fought to the last man at Marston Moor, the Landsnechts & Spanish when the going got tough cut and ran.

Though really the finest troops of the whole renaissance were the New Model Army. The first fully professional army since Roman times and the basis for every modern army in the world today.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Conquistador View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Conquistador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2005 at 18:17
I really like the janissaries... just everything about them! Cool..!
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2005 at 15:31

Originally posted by Paul

Newcastles Whitecoats who fought to the last man at Marston Moor, the Landsnechts & Spanish when the going got tough cut and ran.

That was not always the case--there were plenty of times when landsknechts and Spanish either fought to the last man (Black Legion at Pavia), or cut their way thru ridiculous odds (surviving Spanish infantry units at Ravenna).

Though really the finest troops of the whole renaissance were the New Model Army. The first fully professional army since Roman times and the basis for every modern army in the world today.

Actually, I would consider the Spanish Army of Flanders to be the first.

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2005 at 15:35

Originally posted by TJK

Well, I have mixed up the two different battles : in 1530 the landsknecht were just unsucessfull during siege of Buda (as janissaries at Vienna) but on 21st August 1541 landsknecht commanded by Wilhelm Roggendorf were competely defeated by janissaries (aslo near Buda).

Do you have any specifics regarding the 1541 defeat?

It's interesting to note that in 1532 Sulleyman backed off from Charles V's army of veteran landsknechts and other troops (and his akincis were wiped out by Austrian troops in the Vienna Woods).

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2005 at 07:58
the swiss pikemen is my choice atleast up until guns were fully inovated into the military
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>