Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Living the Christian Life

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Living the Christian Life
    Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 00:51

As a Christian, my morality (I hope) deeply informs my view of the world. I feel it is a duty for all Christians (and one I myself seldom live up to) to view other human beings with the same, if not more respect than we do ourselves. This goes for the masses who draw money from social welfare programs. This goes for those who we see die every day on television, in countries far across the globe. This goes for our greatest friends, as well as for our most bitter foes. This goes, most fundamentally, for those with whom we have cause to disagree as well as those with whom we agree.

So how do we reconcile our sometimes vitriolic views towards others? And more importantly are they reconcilable? How do we justify violence? And more importantly can it be justified (I plan, eventually to raise a thread on this question, so don't waste it all here)?

Most importantly, how can we all live in a world together without butchering each other like so many mindless animals? Discuss. Wink

-Akolouthos

Addendum: Non-Christians, please feel free to discuss this, but please interject your own religious views as well in order to facilitate a greater understanding of where we are, which will hopefully, consequentially facilitate a greater degree of understanding on a greater level in the future.

Edited by Akolouthos - 20-Jul-2007 at 02:11
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 02:37
As a moderate person and an atheist, I view religion as something which is going to be around for some time and as such should be handled in the most constructive way possible. In my own experience, I have met many who have genuinely benefitted from being a part of a religious following, where the religious teachings have enhanced their behaviour and ability to make the most out of life. This is not because religion is basically good, but rather because the religious beliefs they took on board contained useful, constructive and humane values, as opposed to bigoted and backward values (which religions surely contain also).

I think that Christians should always use their religion's teachings as a general guide to define their relationship with their deity and the world, not something which must be followed dogmatically and pedantically. It should incorporate today's values, not the prejudices and hatreds of yesterday. The texts of various religions including Christianity contain teachings which incite prejudice against certain groups, instead their teachings should lean more heavily on tolerance and open mindedness.

Another essential element which should be added into today's Christian ideology is that to be a Christian in no way makes one superior or more legitimate than any other human on the planet, one cannot treat others with sanctimonious contempt for having different beliefs. Christianity teaches some pleasant things, it is a matter of sticking with those and discarding the hateful and prejudiced teachings of the church which will allow Christians to follow a more practical and humane relationship with the world around them.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 07:11
In my opinion, only very few can meet the criteria of true Christianity in their behavior.
To be a Christian should mean to follow the ways Jesus pointed out - plus / minus a few "mishaps" which could be excused for merely being a human - a sinner. But the basic concepts should be given, meaning:

No violence, no war, no condeming etc. etc.
Love for, and respect to all things alive etc. etc.

In my relatively long life, I have only experienced one homogenous group, aside from individuals, that I would consider remotely close to these ideals in speak and behavior - including of course, all the flaws that are human inevitable. I'm thinking of Jehovas Witnesses.

Although I disagree with more of their fundamental doctrines, mainly based in the OT - I have yet to learn about a sect or group more true to Christian values.

Scorpius View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 12:16
Originally posted by Northman

A friend of mine told me a story a long time ago about a man who is considered to be an example Muslim by his people at his time but I do not remember his name.

But the story is good. This man is known for his love, passion, respect for every living thing. They asked him question such as Why do you love bees? Why do you love flowers? Why do you love birds, spiders, insects, etc...? He answered them with providing many good reasons for his love, passion and respect for every living thing they asked to him.

At last somebody asked him why he loves human beings?
His answer according to this story was:

"Only Because God created them and I love God."

boomajoom View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote boomajoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 18:42
Originally posted by Northman

In my relatively long life, I have only experienced one homogenous group, aside from individuals, that I would consider remotely close to these ideals in speak and behavior - including of course, all the flaws that are human inevitable. I'm thinking of Jehovas Witnesses.

Not quite. They gave me one of their magazine things. I read it...sounded very condemning if you ask me. All this "true Christians do this" and "true Christians don't do that" talk. It's bull. I'll let God decide who is a "true Christian" and who isn't...He's the one who can read minds and hearts, not me.

I should also like to know where in the Bible it says you can't go to war. I seem to remember the Bible being full of violence and war. Even in the NT the disciples were carrying around swords, and Jesus went through and whipped a bunch of people. War should be avoided when it can, but sometimes there are people out there who want to KILL you. One cannot live side by side peaceably with evil...only Christ brings peace, and He does so with a lot of fire and a big iron rod that he uses to "separate the wheat from the chaff" (which is done by thrashing the crop).

{EDIT: My feeling is, be kind to others. Be fair. Be honest. Do good for others. But this does not mean allow people to walk all over you; you can defend youself when necessary.

Edited by boomajoom - 29-Jul-2006 at 18:43
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 19:41
In attempting to answer this question, I have to put my old shoe back on and think back what I regret most having done and said (i.e. being a jerk) when I was a devout Christian myself. I've come up with two "suggestions" to those who, unlike me, would like to stick with their faith but want to know how to deal with non-believers better and more wisely.  

Suggestion number one: don't trust anyone or any group of people who claim they know all, specifically, possessing the exclusive right and knowledge in interpreting the Bible. I know that seeing the Bible as the Word of God is part of the deal being a Christian, so I am not going to contest that. However, believing that the Bible is the Word of God is entirely different from claiming to know what the Word of God really is. If you know someone or some group of people who claim that knowledge, I would suggest you to distance yourself from him/her/them.

The second suggestion is related to the first - do not dichotomize the world, a favourite "hobby" of a lot of Christians. For dichotomizing, I mean seeing the world in absolute binary form, e.g. us/them, good/evil, right/wrong, believer/non-believer, Heaven/Hell, saved/condemned, with us/against us, etc. The ability to avoid such simplistic worldview is, interestingly, very much related to how much a person can resist relying on the absolutistic interpretation of the Bible.

If Christians can do the above two, quite a lot of them can actually be rather nice people.

Edited by flyingzone - 29-Jul-2006 at 21:58
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 22:17
"If Christians can do the above two, quite a lot of them can actually be rather nice people."
Yes, which may Christians do. The thing is, that these people do not worship their religion. I mean, yeah they believe in it, but they don't make it a large part of their lives(don't pray much, don't go to church, at least here in the U.S.). Usually people who are less into Christianity are good people, but that is a stereotype, and not always true. Many of the extremely religious are haughty and very arrogant, and if you are an athiest or an agnostic, they can be pretty rude.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 03:44
The best way to make your case is to leave out the attempted mergers with government.  Keeping the voluntary nature of something is a great way to reduce its threat level.

If this is not done their will be a backlash, led by me, and I plan on making Ataturk look like a religious fundamentalist compared to me!
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 06:10

Well it is inevitable that we often encounter conflicts with other people specially those with different views than us but we can never deny that it also happened in christian groups as well.
Even in the Bible, we can find so many commands that God had given us to live peaceably and harmoniously with all people yet without compromising our own principles.. One that came first  to my mind is, well i cant remember the verse but it goes this way:

" Be wise as serpent and harmless like doves"

DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 19:45

I think Christianity is about empathy, the ability to see yourself in others. Isn't that what Christs teachings were about, "love thy enemy", "do onto others as you would have them do unto you" and many others of this kind.

Red Russian View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Red Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 20:00
I have found that christianity is a popluar, due to the fact, it can be interpreted many ways. Thus making its belives bendiable and lax. People can belive in a faith, but not really "belive". Given there are many people who are true belivers. yet there are many people who are NOT true belivers, and merely go to church to make give themselves a false feeling that they have morals and can make something of themselves. Now I ESPECIALLY hate these people(Fake Belivers).
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 22:37
Well I have always looked at religion as something that can be beneficial or horrible.  Unfortunately throughout history it has generally been the latter.  My mom and dad were born christian but I knew nothing about christianity until I was in middle school.  There are a lot of things I completely ignore in the christian theology (most actually), my personal view is to emulate Jesus which I hold to be the same goal as any atheist or muslim etc... just try to be a decent person.  Do in any given situation what you think is best, trust your conscience.  The reason we continue to kill each other is that our ideals are just that what we hold highest is the most difficult to achieve.  Also a lot of us have turned to worshipping the golden bull that is materialism, and basically abandoned our higher ideals and morals.
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Roadkill View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Roadkill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 23:07
 -Oy, Justinian! Why are you brandishing my quote, that's against the law(I don't know which one but there has to be oneTongue )?

-As for religion, I think that it's the most useless thing invented by mankind(Except for that small protrution on the side of a can-opener). Awww, I'd better start writing my manifesto on the stupidity of religion..... I'll shut up now, whenever I come near something resembling a debate on religion I go crazyWink.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Himaya View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Himaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2006 at 04:11
There was a group of Christian leaders having a meeting about "What differs Christianity from other Religion". The older ones arrived early and started discussion. One say," its the Incarnation" the other say "its  Ressurrection." One say this, others say another. Later, after studying the doctrines of other religions in the world, they found out that the views they considered different are also taught in some religion. So, they ask, "What really makes Christian different?" In the middle of their discussion a young minister came in. They all look to him with comtempt because he came late. "Why are you late young man, knowing that your legs are stronger than these old ones have?" And so each look to him with pride, considering themselves better than him. At last the young man spoke. "I admit i am wrong for being late and i am supposed to be the first to come here 'cause i am stronger. But in search of the answer i have done it. What makes us Christians different from other religions is the same with what makes you came here earlier than me. its GRACE. for ONLY GRACE MADE US TO DIFFER?

I admit that many times i also have looked others also in contempt and considered myself better than others. its against Christ teaching. for it is written in Philippians CHapter 2,

3Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. 4Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.

5Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
 6Who, being in very nature[a] God,
      did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
 7but made himself nothing,
      taking the very nature[b] of a servant,
      being made in human likeness.
 8And being found in appearance as a man,
      he humbled himself
      and became obedient to death
         even death on a cross!
 9Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
      and gave him the name that is above every name,
 10that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
      in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
 11and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
      to the glory of God the Father.

True Christianity is not justified by its doctrine alone, but by the lives of those who really lived up to their doctrine. I know i wasnt the one. And i know i wasnt the only one. There are several of us who really did not measure to their talk. But its not a Christian thing only, for others do the same.

I would like to address my fellow Christians, who claims they are followers of Christ and yet do not follow His example: I also am a sinner just like anybody else. But i would like to plead that let us stop exalting our self better than others. Lest we find ourseves praying like the Pharisee in this parable,

9To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everybody else, Jesus told this parable: 10"Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11The Pharisee stood up and prayed about[a] himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other menrobbers, evildoers, adulterersor even like this tax collector. 12I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.'

13"But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'

14"I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

I make apology for all non-Christians, who were offended by those who claim they are Christians by name but not in living. I admit that many of us who claim followers of Christ are not following His footstep. We have sinned. and in His eyes we are the same as you are-sinful. And if there is something that made us different from each other, its grace, the  undserving grace.

I can see that there are other religious people who are more pious, better individuals than Christians. But let us both watch ouselves and consider our ways, "Am i who judge other have reached to the standard with which i judge them?" if we are all careful to examine ourselves, both Christians and non-Christians alike, we can surely say this verse is correct to us: 

You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things. 2Now we know that God's judgment against those who do such things is based on truth. 3So when you, a mere man, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God's judgment? 4Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance?

5But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God's wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed.

But concerning the error of which we Christian lived i would like to clarify that it is not because of the wrong teaching of Christ or of the fallacy of Christianity but due to our sins and weaknesses. Muhandas Ghandi himself say, "I like Christ but i dont like Christians." To our errors i lament, but in Christ grace, i do rejoice.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2006 at 09:22
 Very well said Himaya.... We all knew that oftentimes we are dragging the name of God in dirt because of our sinfulness.I also plead to all Christians, let us be reminded that whatever we do, wherever we are, we do carry the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. We called to be a shining light to bring glory to His name ( Matthew 5:16). The most powerful witness of the truth of God is what people see in our lives. By His enabling grace, we should live in such a way that people would say, I want your God to be my God." 

Edited by Bugay2 - 05-Aug-2006 at 09:34
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2006 at 09:48
Originally posted by Justinian

... my personal view is to emulate Jesus which I hold to be the same goal as any atheist or muslim etc... just try to be a decent person.  Do in any given situation what you think is best, trust your conscience.  The reason we continue to kill each other is that our ideals are just that what we hold highest is the most difficult to achieve.  Also a lot of us have turned to worshipping the golden bull that is materialism, and basically abandoned our higher ideals and morals.

Nicely said, Justinian.

Another thing, worshipping the "golden bull" is not just the problem of nonbelievers. Many believers themselves worship the "golden bull" - in a different form - without even realizing it.

I would like to quote Margaret Cho:

"For example, Judge Roy Moore, or Jay Moore or whatever, in Alabama. [inaudible] ... Ten Commandments statue stay in the lobby of a courthouse. 'You can't move the Word of God! You cannot remove the Franklin Mint edition of the Word of God!' [said in Southern accent] People are protesting there and like, I think it could have been solved so much easier if they had just placed a golden calf next to the statue and then people would have started worshipping that. And then they could have moved the Ten Commandments to Bush's office -- which he needs them, desperately. Or maybe he needs a new version of the Ten Commandments -- George W. Bush's Ten Commandments: Thou shalt not steal...votes. (big applause) Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's...country. (big applause) Thou shalt not kill...for oil. (big applause) Thou shalt not take grammar...in vain. (big applause) I mean, whatever fu--ing happened to separation of church and state? I mean, you can't like, impose your god on my god. God has many names. God is God, God is Jehovah, God is Allah, God is Buddah, God is Beyonce. (laughter) You know, you cannot impose your God on other people. And ah, George W. Bush is coming out with the weirdest stance on same-sex marriage as well. What he says about it is, well, 'well, we're all sinners.' No we're not! Just because somebody ate an apple one time does not make us all sinners. And if it was from the tree of knowledge, I think she should have eaten more than one. (laughter) Possibly even baked a pie." (applause) "I don't understand the whole same-sex marriage thing. He was quoted by saying, 'well, you you uh, just gotta take the speck out of your own eye before you take the co-- out of your neighbor's.'" [in Southern accent] (laughter)
boomajoom View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote boomajoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2006 at 14:16
Suggestion number one

I agree. Nobody knows everything. If somebody tells you something about the Bible, check it out for yourself. Man makes mistakes, even if he is well-meaning.

The second suggestion

Eh...the Bible is pretty clear on stuff. This doesn't mean Christians should go around acting arrogant though (Christ certainly didn't).

" Be wise as serpent and harmless like doves"

An interesting quote. Have you ever tried to mess with a dove's nest? They get surprisingly vicious if you do. So perhaps Christians should be gentle except when people try and mess with their "nests"...

Himaya, I agree completely.    
Peter III View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Peter III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 00:48

I really can't get over what some of you are saying about religion. I just don't understand how someone can think that god is the only one that brings peace or can bring change about the world.

Even so, I think I'll shut up now for fear of starting a debate that may lead somewhere...disastrous.
boomajoom View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote boomajoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 14:09
Originally posted by Peter III

I just don't understand how someone can think that god is the only one that brings peace

Do you honestly think that man is capable? I mean seriously...WHEN has there EVER been peace with man? Just name a year...any year in recorded history where there has been complete peace.
Roadkill View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Roadkill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 15:55
Do you honestly think that man is capable? I mean seriously...WHEN has there EVER been peace with man? Just name a year...any year in recorded history where there has been complete peace.

-This is exactly what is so destructive about religion. You just assume that god will come along and make everything right, tossing all responsibility onto him! Let me tell you a story that some may recognise from the West Wing, I don't remember it word for word so bare with me.

-A religious man sat in his house listening to the radio. It had rained heavily the last few days and on the radio they said that the place where he lived would be flooded and that everyone in the area should evacuate. Shortly after this report the man's neighbour knocked on the door and asked him if he was going to evacuate, to which the man answered "I believe in God and he will save me." The neighbour then left.
 -So the flood came and the man's house was swept away. He managed to get a hold of some driftwood and used it as a raft. As he clung to it a boat came along and the people in the boat asked the man if he needed help, to which he replied "I believe in God and he will save me." The boat then dove away.
 - As the man lost hold of the driftwood a helicopter came along and they asked the man if he needed help, to which he replied "I believe in God and he will save me." The helicopter flew away.
 -Shortly after the man drowned and ascended to heaven. When he came to the pearly gates he asked St. Paul(Is that the right one?) for an audience with God, which he got. Upon meeting God he asked him "Why did you not save me?" God looked at him and said "I sent you a radio report, your neighbour, a boat and a helicopter. What more should I have done?"

-Can you see what I'm getting at? Do you understand the moral of this story? If you think that your god will come along and fix everything for you then you're horribly mistaken. It is up to you to make a difference!

(By the way, I'm an atheist if you got another impression from this post)

EDIT: By the way, check out ->this<- thread at 1BC for a discussion on the existence of god.

Edited by Roadkill - 17-Aug-2006 at 15:59
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>