Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedALEXANDER, where should I start with the

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: ALEXANDER, where should I start with the
    Posted: 04-May-2006 at 18:39
well
1)Plutarch -i wrote it.
2)The cities founded in Scythia,Gedrosia,Arachosia etc.brought civilization there .
The hellenistic era -with the empires of Seleucids,Ptolemeyes,The Greek kingdom of Bactria - was an era of progress for science,literature and philosophy.
3)comparing attila with the student of Aristotle proves ignorance.

Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2006 at 19:17

Originally posted by Digenis

well
1)Plutarch -i wrote it.

i need a source, i can make up a quote without posting a source too. i need proof.

2)The cities founded in Scythia,Gedrosia,Arachosia etc.brought civilization there .
The hellenistic era -with the empires of Seleucids,Ptolemeyes,The Greek kingdom of Bactria - was an era of progress for science,literature and philosophy.

are you kidding me? the sogdian kingdom, the bactrian kingdom, all of these were around even before the achaemenid empire got founded! there was civilisation there!

and how dare you say the selucids brought civilisation. while you europeans were in your caves and mud huts the elamites, persians, medeans, sumerians, etc... were living in cities and palaces.

dont talk to us about civilisation. if anything, alexander should have brought civilisation to europe form the east, because besides greeks, there was no other european civilisation.

3)comparing attila with the student of Aristotle proves ignorance.

both were conqueres were they not? if alexander is a hero for conquering then so should attila.

Edited by Iranian41ife
"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
yazzmode621 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2006 at 20:19

What I find funny about all of this is Alexander is Macedonian NOT Greek.  Alexander and his Macedonian army fought against Greeks and Persians. 

Macedonians were not/are not Greeks.  They are not today nor were they in ancient times. 

Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 06:51
Originally posted by yazzmode621

What I find funny about all of this is Alexander is Macedonian NOT Greek.  Alexander and his Macedonian army fought against Greeks and Persians. 

Macedonians were not/are not Greeks.  They are not today nor were they in ancient times. 

yes...now turn by the other side and sleep well...

Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 07:04
Originally posted by Iranian41ife

well
1)Plutarch -i wrote it.

i need a source, i can make up a quote without posting a source too. i need proof.

Well,it would be useful,before judging all Alexander had done in his life,to READ omething by the sources,such as Plutarch ,Arrian !

I m sure there are many good libraries in Iran.

Then we can discuss about Alexander in a more serious way.

are you kidding me? the sogdian kingdom, the bactrian kingdom, all of these were around even before the achaemenid empire got founded! there was civilisation there!

and how dare you say the selucids brought civilisation. while you europeans were in your caves and mud huts the elamites, persians, medeans, sumerians, etc... were living in cities and palaces.

There was civilization in the East of course-

But u re trying to present Alexander as Attila (!) ,or other nomad warlords that the only thing the y ve done was destroying civilization.

Alexander had commited slaughters-i dont believe in a "ideal Alexander" !- sometimes acting with a programm-in order the other cities to surrunder willingly,sometimes acting like a teenager.

But obviously,Alexanderwas the man who  visioned and in a way founded the Hellenistic civilization -causing a bloom of science and philosophy in the east,strenghten and spread the classical Greece achievements.

BlindOne View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 07:35

I will never stop to fight agaist it.

obviusly you support you opion by basic the term Nation in a gene/blood base. I am sorry but people with such ideas brought too much pain in the world.

Nations are base in common languadge, religion (when we talk about nations in the past) and a common sense of we are the same.

Like it or not the macedonias in the historical time that we talk about have: The same languadge with greeks, the same religion andthe same common sense that they are the same with the others greeks. So why aren't greeks????

I really can't understant some dudes that believe a "scientist' that claim: macedonias wasn't greeks because in their Y chromosom they have a different gene......

Pure stupinity, isn't it...

Edited by BlindOne
That I am stricken and can't let you go
When the heart is cold, there's no hope, and we know
That I am crippled by all that you've done
Into the abyss, will I run

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 10:58
Another guy trying to rewrite history.  The Macedonians were a foreign people who dressed similiar to Celts.  The Greeks considered them brutes and barbarians.  The Macedonians invaded and crushed Greece and then adopted Greek culture.  It was a long time ago but it happened.
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 12:56

Originally posted by genseric

Another guy trying to rewrite history.  The Macedonians were a foreign people who dressed similiar to Celts.  The Greeks considered them brutes and barbarians.  The Macedonians invaded and crushed Greece and then adopted Greek culture.  It was a long time ago but it happened.

Exactly.  But you will never here these Western/Pro-Greek sources telling you this.  According to them, they WERE Greek(which is ridiculous!)

RomiosArktos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 13:36

Are you sure that the Macedonians were dressed similar to the Celts?I was under the misconception that they were dressed similar to the Neanderthals,they roamed the countyside and were beating the civilised people to death with  clubs

Edited by RomiosArktos
RomiosArktos of many colors and shapes
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 16:21

If were not Greeks why then Persians called them Yauna Takabara as called and the rest of the Greeks (Yuana) ?

Edited by akritas
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 16:34

Guys !
A new mosaic just discovered in a macedonian tomb, in
 "AIGAI" (="goats" in ancient Greek),the ancient capital of the Macedonians!  :

hm...i think i know these macedonian guys!

OK,OK i admit it...the Macedonians may have been speaking greek,
ok,they may have been worshipping the Gods of Olympus,
ok they may have been participating in the Olympic games ,were only Greeks were allowed to,
but they werent Greeks of course!-A boy in this forum assured me so!

Edited by Digenis
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 17:28

Exactly.  But you will never here these Western/Pro-Greek sources telling you this.  According to them, they WERE Greek(which is ridiculous!)

I actually didnt read the "Celts" part.  I dont agree with that at all.  Greek and Macedonians were different people but Macedonians were not Celtic.  Here is some more proof.

http://www.historyofmacedonia.org/AncientMacedonia/AncientEv idence.html

Look, I'm not here to try to pick a fight with Greeks.  Greeks have a great, long history.  But claiming another nation's accomplishments as your own is just not necessary. 

Saying Macedonians are Greek because of the religion they practiced is saying that Persians and Turks are Arabs because they're muslims. 

Edited by yazzmode621
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 17:44

I actually didnt read the "Celts" part.  I dont agree with that at all.  Greek and Macedonians were different people but Macedonians were not Celtic.  Here is some more proof.

http://www.historyofmacedonia.org/AncientMacedonia/AncientEv idence.html

Look, I'm not here to try to pick a fight with Greeks.  Greeks have a great, long history.  But claiming another nation's accomplishments as your own is just not necessary. 

Saying Macedonians are Greek because of the religion they practiced is saying that Persians and Turks are Arabs because they're muslims. 

Your mentioned source is one from the known FYROMIian propagandistic sourse of the web. There are alot of neutral that you can read it and you decide what is wrong and what is right.

One my argyments is why Persians called  Yuana Takabara the Macedonians as called and the rest of the Greeks (Yuana) ? Why ancient Indies called also Macedonians and the rest of the Greeks as Yavana ?

All the "barbarians" knew what and where Macedonians they come from.

Edited by akritas
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 17:55
Yes ,in this pure propagandist site ,
u can also read about the  "Macedonian" (Bulgarian) Czar Samuel,and many more funny things that only historians from Skopje claim.

Anyway,u can try find some more evidence,or even search within this forum for arguments-
the topic is banned,and dont go on with this ,in order the thread to be closed .ok ?

Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 18:01

well
1)Plutarch -i wrote it.

Well,it would be useful,before judging all Alexander had done in his life,to READ omething by the sources,such as Plutarch ,Arrian !

I m sure there are many good libraries in Iran.

Then we can discuss about Alexander in a more serious way.

first of all, i live in the USA. second of all, if you arent going to post sources for your information than i have no reason to believe them.

and i know a lot about alexander, i also know that all he did in his life was fight, he died too young to do anything else.

so basically, all he was was a conquerer. thats it.

and he was not a blue eyed blonde haired white guy. he looked like average greeks do today (mostly dark haired and dark eyes)

[/quote]

There was civilization in the East of course-

But u re trying to present Alexander as Attila (!) ,or other nomad warlords that the only thing the y ve done was destroying civilization.

Alexander had commited slaughters-i dont believe in a "ideal Alexander" !- sometimes acting with a programm-in order the other cities to surrunder willingly,sometimes acting like a teenager.

But obviously,Alexanderwas the man who  visioned and in a way founded the Hellenistic civilization -causing a bloom of science and philosophy in the east,strenghten and spread the classical Greece achievements.[/quote]

no, alexander did not establish hellenistic civilisation in the east, his generals did. ALEXANDER DIED BEFORE HE COULD DO ANYTHING.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 18:30
Alexander made the campaign against the Persian Empire in order to:
a)Liberate the Greeks of Asia who were under the Persian rule
b)Take revenge from the Achaemenid Empire for the destruction of Greece 150 years earlier.
c)Unite the world under his rule in a single empire

I don't think that Alexander made this campaign for the sake of democracy.He was a king after all.I don't remember in the movie  also any such implication,that Alexander wanted to bring democracy etc.
As far as the color of his hair is concerned the movie is accurate if we believe in what Plutarch says.There is however the mosaic in Pompei so we can't be pretty sure about his physical appearance.The fact however that Alexander tried to resemble the homeric hero Achilles,who had blond hair,can implicate that he had blond hair as in the film.

There were historical inaccuracies in the film,for example the bloody battle in the jungle of India(?) but a film cannot be 100% accurate.
Another inaccuracy was the fact that in the battle of Gaugamela there were no elephants,the 6.000 thousand greek mercenaries in the Persian army were not shown,the Thessalian cavalry in the Macedonian army wearing the characteristic petasos(a hat that they wore) were also not shown and the charge of Alexander and the companions against the Persian center could be shown better.A lot more cavalry,there were more than 3.000 companions that attacked the Persian center.
The bisexuality also of Alexander may not be true while in the movie it is depicted as a fact.
A prominent historian Robin Lane Fox assisted the director so the film is as accurate as it could be.
As far as the accents are concerned i think that it was done this on purpose in order to show that the Macedonians were Greeks but they spoke in a bit different way than the Athenians.That's why Aristotle(Cristopher Plummer) speaks with an English accent while the Macedonians speak as Irish.
There were some inaccuracies at the end of the film,where Alexander mentions the Romans(!!!!!!!!!!!!!) as good warriors,something weird since at that time the Romans had not yet become what they would be in the years to come.Rome did not rule at that time the whole Italian peninsula.It woul be far more accurate if Alexander in the film mentioned Syracuse as great city with tough warriors but not Rome...

Edited by RomiosArktos
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 18:33

and he was not a blue eyed blonde haired white guy. he looked like average greeks do today (mostly dark haired and dark eyes)

http://www.e-classics.com/ALEXANDER.htm

Its Plutarch's Alexander from "Bioi Parallelloi"

Is that ok ?
Read it all,it would be more useful than the part for the hair!!!

How about YOUR sources?

Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 18:37
Originally posted by RomiosArktos

That's why Aristotle(Cristopher Plummer) speaks with an English accent while the Macedonians speak as Irish

Really ??
i didnt mantioned this,
u ve watched it so many times N.

Edited by Digenis
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 18:40
In the film  Alexander was depicted as a homeric hero,maybe that was the influence of Robin L. Fox on Oliver Stone.
Alexander indeed tried to resemble as much as he could Achilles.
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 18:49

You are making a mistake.The Macedonians were the northern Greeks
Alexander in his campaign in Asia utilised a fleet of 160 ships,the crew of these ships were Greeks from southern Greece and mostly from Athens.There were also many Greeks from Thessaly,Crete,and from southern Greece in his army.
The fact that over 50.000 Greek mercenaries fought on the Persian side and perished can be explained:
a)By the fact that the Persian king of Kings had the money to pay all thse professional warrior who after the rise of Macedon and the defeat of the anti-macedonian league had lost their jobs.Poverty and overpopulation was the number one problem in Greece at those days.
b)They despised the Macedonian rule,for political reasons
It was not strange for many Greeks who had lost their power in Greece to turn to the Persian King of Kings for support.he had the money afterall

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>