Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedALEXANDER, where should I start with the

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Topic: ALEXANDER, where should I start with the
    Posted: 28-Nov-2004 at 20:19
Cyrus, help me out man....
Should I begin with that all Macedonians were blonde-haired northern European looking folks or should I comment on more fundamental mistakes like a quote in the latter part of the movie when Alexander says that everyon was a slave undeer Persian rule, or should I stick to practical mistakes like making "Babylon" look like Susa and Persepolis at times? Can someone add more?
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2004 at 14:19

Macedonians could be blonde but was Roxanna black? Babylon could look like Susa and Persepolis but was it more important than them?!

Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2004 at 15:43

The next Iran related historical movie coming out seems to be this one. Lets hope it has a little less prejudice

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0430431/

Edited by Miller
YusakuJon3 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2004 at 20:05
When I looked at some of the casting for Stone's 'Alexander' (especially the part for Roxane), I had my doubts...

But, yes, I'm certain that Oliver Stone took quite a few liberties with the history of Alexander III of Macedon.  But consider the sources; largely fragmentary writings, some of which were put down several generations after the man was dead and gone and his empire had already disintegrated and was changing hands.  Mostly, I think Stone was approaching Alexander like the Hollywood producer that he is.  Historical accuracy was the least of his worries.

That doesn't mean that I might not rent the movie when it comes out on DVD, but I'd have to take it with a grain of salt when I see Rosario Dawson start dashing about in a room wearing only the knife that Mr. Stone decided to write into the scene...
"There you go again!"

-- President Ronald W. Reagan (directed towards reporters at a White House press conference, mid-1980s)
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2004 at 09:17
Her ti*s weren't so bad!
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2004 at 13:36
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Macedonians could be blonde but was Roxanna black? Babylon could look like Susa and Persepolis but was it more important than them?!

assyrians was the gratest and the others like persia and the babylonians stole assyrian war tecnincs....and used assyrian generals in their armys,,,

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2004 at 14:05

assyrians??  do they still exist?

dark_one View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2004 at 16:12
 They are an ethnicity in Iraq, much like the Persians which are not the Arabs living in Iran but certain Souther Kyrgyzy tribes.
J.M.Finegold View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2004 at 20:31
Well Roxanne was from the Eastern Persian Empire, and last time I checked they have either black or brown hair.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2004 at 04:28

still the hairs are black  but not the body they are white

Atourian View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2004 at 00:45
I think the movie did not capture the "Macedonian" atmosphere.

It's hard to describe. I kinda feel some sort of relation to the style of ancient Macedonian culture. As I was watching Alexander the Great on the History Channel (3 hours long), I could almost picture how Alexander looked and acted, like that time he was seriously injured. I could imagine myself right there when the rest of the troops were rushing to back him up too quickly, breaking the ladders. And then his death. And later his statues to establish his presence at the table.

I haven't even seen the Alexander movie yet but I can conclude that it does not capture the Macedonian atmosphere just by looking at the TV ads. It's too goldy. And that's not even Alexander. My supernatural abilities tell me he was not blonde. And is that Angelina Jolie?

Since opening Wednesday to get a jump-start on the Thanksgiving holiday, the film has earned $21.6 million. The independently financed film, a dream project of Stone's for 15 years, reportedly cost more than $150 million to make. ...
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2004 at 01:16
what a coincidence, my super natural abilities told me the movie sucked. The historical inacuracies would have bothered me more if i could see them over all the acting. There are pre-battle speeches in RTW better than Colin Farrals. Bad pick indeed for Roxanna. I know i have bashed the movie too much but Alexander deserved more. Caligula was better time spent.

------
read once that 400,000 claim assyrian heritage world wide, correct if wrong.
Atourian View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2004 at 00:12
Response to Catt:
There are 400,000 Assyrians in the U.S, with large concentrations in Chicago (85,000), Detroit (100,000), the Bay Area (40,000), Los Angeles and San Diego (50,000), Phoenix (8,000), New York (15,000) and Boston (5,000). In Iraq there are 1.5 million Assyrians (also known as Chaldeans and Syriacs). Nearly 90% of Iraq's refugees in America are Assyrian. About 5 million worldwide.
But some Chaldeans and Syriacs don't call themselves Assyrian. Maybe the Chaldeans are ethnically Chaldeans and maybe the Syriacs are ethnically Syriacs/Aramaeans. And if I say the term Assyrian is also a nation, things can either make more or less sense depending on the way you think of it.
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2004 at 00:17
ok, so it was 400k in the US? thanks.
Faran View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2004 at 13:55

Originally posted by dark_one

They are an ethnicity in Iraq, much like the Persians which are not the Arabs living in Iran but certain Souther Kyrgyzy tribes.

WHAT!?!?  Iranians are NOT Arabs!  We have a different language, different language family, different race, different culture...Arabs are semites, Iranians are Indo-Europeans.

There are very, very few Arabs living in Iran other than temporary Iraqi war refugees (yes, Mesopotamians have almost all become Arabs) as unfortunately nobody likes Arabs in Iran.

There are a fair share of Arabicized Iranians, though.

Assyrio-Chaldeans are in Iran as well as Iraq.

Faran View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2004 at 14:08
Originally posted by AssYRIAN_WOrrIOR

Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

assyrians was the gratest and the others like persia and the babylonians stole assyrian war tecnincs....and used assyrian generals in their armys,,,

That implies that Assyrians were only a fraction of those Persians who employed their ideas

Assyria had a strong military, a really impressive empire you are right.  But their economy could not support it very well, sadly for them.

Sabzevarian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2005 at 03:01
The movie did suck. I'm glad I didn't pay for it.

It was somewhat amusing at times, though. their justification for invasion (leading to Babylon) and war speeches, etc, reminded me of the same loose proofs/justification used to invade Iraq (leading to Baghdad)

Though one thing I did like overall, it didn't try to make it politically correct, it showed how some people really thinked, etc.   Would be nice if it had been a good movie as well..

Edited by Sabzevarian
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2005 at 11:13

someone else paid for your tiket  or what?

cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2005 at 11:34

Sabzevarian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2005 at 19:53

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>