Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedALEXANDER, where should I start with the

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: ALEXANDER, where should I start with the
    Posted: 05-Jan-2005 at 21:18
muhaha, Stone is an idiot. It opens today in London and he is blaming the movie's failure in the US on
"raging fundamentalism in morality".

Perhaps it was you butchering history and using bad actors?

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20050105/ennew_ afp/afplifestylebritain_050105233953
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2005 at 06:25

I read somewhere that Aelxander was actuallya blond. And in a BBC documentary, the narrator said he had red hair. What did Alexander look like?

Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2005 at 08:44

i think he had a light brown hair

and he was between 160 cm to 170 cm in height

the only statues shows his real look are the once made when he was alive but those were destroyed and there are some Copies of these statues made by the Romans 100s of years after Alexander's death so i guess those are the closer ones shows how he looked like

and there is some coins showing his face and those are made during his life time and after

but they are not very good at telling how he looked like

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2005 at 19:03
what a HORRIBLE movie, it got EVERYTHINg it could have gotten wrong!  and SOOOO boring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   At least they had the guts to show him as bi but even that was actually downplayed and was such a stupid waste of time int he movie, there are like 2 (LAME) battles and its just........so stupid.  A travesty of film and expense.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2005 at 19:19
Originally posted by Tobodai

At least they had the guts to show him as bi but even that was actually downplayed.

Apparently Stone is planning to cut some of that for the DVD release thinking that was the factor that contributed to the very low sales figure. He seems to still be in denial

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 19:55

Ill tell you what was responsible for the low sales figure, LAAAAAAAME movie, boring presentation!

If anything the bi stuff helped because alot of females I knew wanted to see Colin Farrel make out with a guy!  That was prolly the only reason they went in the first place!

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Dari View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 22:35
It made me feel ashamed at being to a Persian. : (

Dari is a pimp master
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 08:56
Originally posted by azimuth

i think he had a light brown hair

and he was between 160 cm to 170 cm in height

Not so! Alexander's height was around 1.40-1.45 cm.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2005 at 07:40

yes i read that somewhere

but that is too short and i think it was based on something to do with militery equipments they think it belonged to alexander

i guess it is more than 145 cm based on some of his statues

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2005 at 09:02

He was shorter than usual, that much we know. But there's no way to know with accuracy. Taking into account (from sceletons of the era) that back then the greeks varied from 1:60 - 1:67 we can say that either:

1. He was a short guy within that range

or 2. He was even shorter!

In my mind I imagine him somewhere like 1:60

Picture:

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2005 at 09:19
Originally posted by azimuth

yes i read that somewhere but that is too short and i think it was based on something to do with militery equipments they think it belonged to alexander

i guess it is more than 145 cm based on some of his statues

Yep, we can tell precisely that Phillip's height was 1.60. This is because of his armour which was discovered some decades ago from a greek archeologist in Vergina-Greece. We do know from ancient sources that Alexander was reaching Phillip's shoulders.

Funny, but it seems shortness seems to be a common feature in military geniouses.

Qnzkid711 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2005 at 10:39
Actually I have went to  places like Montenegro and places in Macedonia and I noticed a lot of blond haired people. I guess that would be attributed to other civillizations from the north moving in. In my old land, Albania, I did not notice ANY blond haired people. But then again Albanians and people from Bosnia and Montenegro arent decendants of the same people.  
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2005 at 11:14
Meh, there still are, and were Blonds in ancient Greece, and people back then also occasioanly belached their hair. I should thing that whining about hair colour should be very very low on the list of percieved inaccuracies, but usualy its the first one to get any attention.
Arrrgh!!"
Faran View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2005 at 20:28
Originally posted by Aeolus

Funny, but it seems shortness seems to be a common feature in military geniouses.

Well, not always.  Cyrus the Great was very tall,  and I believe Charlemagne was 6'4", which for his time was ridiculous.  Peter the Great, Richard the Lionhearted, George Washinnton, etc.  But sorry to deviate.

Edited by Faran
Hellinas View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2005 at 21:12

According to Plutarch and Appian Alexander was described to have an athletic frame, not taller than the common, and a white and ruddy complexion. The expression of his eyes had something liquid and melting and the hair which stood up over his forehead gave the suggestion of a lion.
This might actually have nothing to do with color, since we know that he was oftenly depicted as Heracles with a lion on his head, a probable reference to his devine origin. We know that according to the myth he laid heavy emphasis on his descent from the Homeric heroes, And that in other occasions he claimed to be the son of Dias and demanded to be called so.

>>people back then also occasioanly belached their hair<<

Actually there is alot of evidence in literature and artifacts that prove that "blonds" did exist in ancient Hellas but were acually concidered  as an "illness" and neither were the predominant "color" thus proving the "Nordic theory" to be false.

The author of Aristotelis Physiognomica claims that both excessive paleness and excessive swarthiness are indicative of cowardice. Aristotle in the Eudemian Ethics mentions that "some men are blue eyed (glaukoi) and others black eyed (melanommatoi) because a particular part of them is of a particular quality" without assigning any moral superiority on either of the types. In the same passage, he continues that the blue-eyed man (glaukos) does not see clearly, an error which illustrates that he did not believe in a superiority of blue-eyed individuals. Indeed, the Greeks in general were somewhat repulsed by blue eyes, because of their rarity and association with disease (cataract and glaucoma), as Maxwell-Stuart, P.G., 1981, Studies in Greek colour terminology, vol.1 "Glaukos", Leiden : Brill in a complete study of all the uses of the adjective (glaukos) shows: Instinctive fear of blindness must be very strong among all sighted human beings, so their immediate reaction to such an eye will manifest itself in a repulsive frisson. Men will wish to ward off a similar fate from themselves.

Healthy eyes of that colour therefore have something unnatural about them, and their relative infrequence in Greece proper (and, indeed, in Crete), will have aroused a similar instinctive hostility. Fear of the unknown and of the unusual would contribute to the notion that possessors of such eyes must be malign; hence the long association of blue and the Evil Eye which has lasted in Greece and the surrounding area until modern times. Not surprisingly, these feelings of hostility would be strengthened by knowledge that foreigners from the cold North - those dangerous, incursive, un-Greek people - had blue eyes. The author of Aristotle's On Colours mentions that infants are born with light-colored hair but their hair turns to black as they grow up. Hence, unlike Nordics who retain (to some degree) the paedomorphic trait of blondness, Hellenes appear to possess mostly dark hair in adult life. There are a number of references in the Greek authors in the practice of women dyeing their hair blond (e.g., in Euripides) or using artificial means (white lead) to lighten their complexion.

The document that proves the theory to be false:

Since the image can't be seen visit:

http://dienekes.angeltowns.net/texts/nazigermany/

Edited by Hellinas
Qnzkid711 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 15:14
Originally posted by Atourian

I think the movie did not capture the "Macedonian" atmosphere.

It's hard to describe. I kinda feel some sort of relation to the style of ancient Macedonian culture. As I was watching Alexander the Great on the History Channel (3 hours long), I could almost picture how Alexander looked and acted, like that time he was seriously injured. I could imagine myself right there when the rest of the troops were rushing to back him up too quickly, breaking the ladders. And then his death. And later his statues to establish his presence at the table.

I haven't even seen the Alexander movie yet but I can conclude that it does not capture the Macedonian atmosphere just by looking at the TV ads. It's too goldy. And that's not even Alexander. My supernatural abilities tell me he was not blonde. And is that Angelina Jolie?

Since opening Wednesday to get a jump-start on the Thanksgiving holiday, the film has earned $21.6 million. The independently financed film, a dream project of Stone's for 15 years, reportedly cost more than $150 million to make. ...

That special was awesome. I saw it also.
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2005 at 15:22
Why is haircolor that important?
Sikander View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 12:11

I spent 3,8 euros (low fare ticket) and allmost 3 hours viewing that movie. I still weep about it...

The fighting scenes were nice, though.

ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2005 at 19:39
Why is haircolor that important?

portraying characters in a historical movie is one of the most important issues that MUST be studied in detail. Stone wrote the screenplay based on his image of Alexander, who was his childhood hero. Stone found the most legendary story about the man and tried to portray him the way he always pictured.

In my opinion, besides the obvious mistakes Stone made in creating a "true" film, the movie itself didn't carry much weight of its title. the cinematography was horrible. the directing was not as expected esp. in the war scene with Persians there was a scene where blood shed from a wrong place! He even didnt put Persepolis in the movie maybe he didnt even know what persepolis was burning down Persepolis is one of the key parts of Alexanders story and he even didnt bother mentioning it. I only liked two things about the movie, one was Val Kilmer's performance, and the other was the music; Vangelis is my second favorite composer.

Edited by ramin
HulaguHan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2005 at 18:51

Azimuth...

These Semitic guys such as Assyrians, Egyptians, Sumerians, Babylonians are your real brothers. Arabs were living and establishing countries before islam man.

And they continue living in Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Jordan, Palestine, Lebanon, etc...

Edited by HulaguHan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>