Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is "Evil" ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Online Status: Offline
  Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is "Evil" ?
    Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 14:50
whats the definition of evil? who is evil?

if someone is evil will he admit that? Most people who are considderd evil by others not think there evil they do what they thinks is best for there people.

Acording to abrahmic religions the devil is evil. Why? because he hates humans and tries to get them of the "path" but if we could ask him we all would be evil we are the reason why he was bannished from hell we are the reason why he isn't favourd by God anymore.

But is there realy evil?

there are some psycopaths who do real nasty stuf but according to most countries laws pyscopaths or nutchases or mentaly not normal people can't be responsible for there actions.

so There is no good or evil only actions.

just keep in mide that this is a history forum and in history there is no good or evil only the loser and the victor

Well what is your personal view on Good & Evil or Right & Wrong?

Tongue

I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 18:47

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12742                      i dont want to right same things again read from there

Red Russian View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Red Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 21:12
I Would say that, Maybe there is no such thing as good and Evil per say......Just Differing points of view.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 21:53
I don't believe in good or evil.
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 02:55
I heard an interesting definition of evil as "that which should not be".  I'm not sure I accept it, but I thought it was thoughtprovoking nonetheless.
Member of IAEA
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 04:15
Originally posted by Feanor

I don't believe in good or evil.
me neather only in actions.

you could be "evil" but never have done an evil deed(that doesn't make senceLOL)

I mean you can be a good person but the circumstances make you do something evil so whats the deal?
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 14:56
I don't believe in good and evil as extant entities. There are only good actions and bad actions, good people and bad people.

That's a meta-ethical point: it's valid whatever criterion you use to distinguish a good act from a bad one, or a good person from a bad one.

I need to read some more Moore Big smile

(I really should have written read Moore again, but I couldn't resist.)

Scorpius View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 15:15
Originally posted by xi_tujue

Well what is your personal view on Good & Evil or Right & Wrong?

In order to define good or evil, or right and wrong; you need a reference point. That is the problem here. That point differs from people to people Big smile.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 19:44
Evil is what other persons believe you are.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 21:35
this is one of those notions that have no definitions when are considered separatelly without being bound to some formula, background notion or system of value which helps to define it. Just like the notion "justice" which also has no meaning...

Edited by Mosquito - 29-Jul-2006 at 21:36
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 21:39
in other words, its all about the ethic system which helps to define it
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Goban View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Goban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2006 at 13:13
 I believe in good and evil. Well positive and negative energies-possibly.

Have you ever been to a place where you can feel the presence of tension, despair and hatred?

This may be a psychosomatic phenomenon but this feeling, as far as I can tell, can be acquired without much knowledge of the particular area. You can just feel it...
The sharpest spoon in the drawer.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2006 at 02:36
One mans evil is anothers good. There are no absolute definitions and to think so is nieve.

I think a healthy society must purge itself of its own government when that government becomes to corrupt, thus I technically advocate the execution of goverment members when the time coems around.  This could be considered as evil , even though its the only proven effective measure against stagnation and corruption.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
arsenka View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote arsenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 02:57
Agree. It's an abstract term created by human mind and non-existing outside it. Very subjective.
arsenka
BMC21113 View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote BMC21113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2006 at 23:16
-I think this "abstract evil" that is being spoken of sounds good in philosophical discussion, but holds little practical value. Can you tell me that a man who rapes and murders women, children, or both just to see them suffer has not comitted an evil act?........

Edited by BMC21113 - 19-Aug-2006 at 00:05
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"-George Washington
"The art of war is, in the last result, the art of keeping one's freedom of action."-Xenophon
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 00:59
Well certainly I persoanlyl would say that is evil, but if even one person in the entire world disagrees (and probably the murderer disagrees) you cant say its universally evil because clearly it is not.  I know that sounds horribly assinine and it hurts my brain even saying but its consistent with the fact that crazy people by nature of being crazy can think something evil is in fact good.
-Alexander Hamilton
BMC21113 View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote BMC21113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 01:18
-There are of course those which suffer from excessive levels of psychosis, but as a rational and SANE person, I feel that we can come to a general consensus as what constitutes an evil act. Now, there is the question of whether or not an act is considered evil when they who commit the act truly believe in what they are doing (for example Hitler.....). My answer to this question is, yes, of course there is evil. Evil can not really be measured by science, but I feel that it is an obvious element in human reality. When one commits an act out of the joy that the suffering of others brings them, then this is an evil person and an evil action. Now, of course there is a large grey area here, but sane people understand that there are some things that we just SHOULD NOT do. Taking the life of another for perverted joy is not one of those things.
-I have studied the psychology of violent offenders such as serial murderers and rapists for the last 3-4 years and I am a Psychology major. When you really look deep into some of these individuals, evil is an apparent force that should not be ignored, though it can not yet be accurately studied.
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"-George Washington
"The art of war is, in the last result, the art of keeping one's freedom of action."-Xenophon
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 01:23
Oh I agree it should not be ignored, but I cannot accept its existence as something we can all agree on the definition on.  Many things I think are evil many people would not think are the opposite is true too.

Although I persoanlly do believe in evil I avoid elaborating on it as a defense mechanism.  When one has such unconventional opinions on everything as me one has to be careful about the waht is bad and good game.  Obviously I think Hitler and serial murderers are evil, but I also thought Emperor Palpatine from Star Wars is a misrepresented hero so I must be carefullWink
-Alexander Hamilton
BMC21113 View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote BMC21113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 01:31
-I can agree with this. I believe that which I can see for myself, though I do not count out that which is not detectable either. Personally, I feel that we truly understand little of that which is around us; or rather, do not understand the true nature of our reality. This perhaps transcends so-called "good and bad"....as I truly believe that evil is a very real force in our existence. Where that evil comes from, nobody, including myself, knows this answer.......that is, they know no further than speculation........
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 01:38
Clearly there are things that cannot be defined, and clearly there are things even all of us on AE could agree are evil, but often these thigns come with silver linings, even if th elining never makes up for the event that caused it.

For example, the Holocaust was evil, but without th eeffects from it I doubt any place int he world would care about anti-semitism and Jews in many countries would still be second class.

Another example I am fond of is Pol Pot.  To me he was the worst ruler of any nation or people in all of recoreded history.  But his craziness and takeover weakened Cambodia enough for Vietnam to take over and turn cambodia into a vassal state.  This ended up being good as not only is the Khmer Rouge gone but Cambodia has the stability it would never have on its own but the backing of the most miitarily powerful southeast asian nation. BY extension Cambodia got a (temporarily) more valuable ally by proxy in the Soviet Union than could be found in Maoist China with a far more extensive nuclear umbrella.
-Alexander Hamilton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>