Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Charge of the Light Brigade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Charge of the Light Brigade
    Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 19:09
Well, the Greeks thought otherwise. (I am really stubborn).

That is the point, self-sacrifice, all such things rose the Greeks morale and so they fough gloriously. In the end Persians were defeated. And there were traitors amongst Greeks, maybe the Spartans and Thebans had held on for longer then. And they killed enemies. There were about 2,000 dead Greeks for 20,000 dead Persians. About 97% for Greeks and 12% for Persians perhaps that is (not countign the fleeing Greeks; only Thebans and Spartans).
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 15:39
i do not trust thsoe numebrs anyways...

yes, Persians were defeated...in the end (after main Persian army withdrew)! victory comes after defeat. Thermopylae was an overwhelming victory for Persians and what comes after is another story...
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 16:11
Originally posted by rider

Well, the Greeks thought otherwise. (I am really stubborn).

That is the point, self-sacrifice, all such things rose the Greeks morale and so they fough gloriously. In the end Persians were defeated. And there were traitors amongst Greeks, maybe the Spartans and Thebans had held on for longer then. And they killed enemies. There were about 2,000 dead Greeks for 20,000 dead Persians. About 97% for Greeks and 12% for Persians perhaps that is (not countign the fleeing Greeks; only Thebans and Spartans).

It were not Thebans but Thespians
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2006 at 04:52
Interesting, I have always heard it with Thebans..
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2006 at 14:32
no, Thebans were neutral during this conflict, and i think the Greek cities who decided to put up resistance considdered them traitors.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12