Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shiite and Sunni question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shiite and Sunni question
    Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 11:55

wht are the major differences in 'amal' between sunni and shiite

example.. in solat...

what is the reason for the differences to be happened?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 13:11
In Salat? Shias don't fold their hands, Sunnis do.
Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Killabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 17:56
Shiite Cleric

Sunni Cleric

The turban worn by Shiite cleric and Sunni cleric look somehow different.
Is turban worn by Shiite cleric the result of Iranian influence? I found out the turban worn by Shiite look similar to the one worn by Afghans or other Iranian on daily basis.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 22:55
Its traditionally black, the color of mourning. karbela.

Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 23:18
I am not sure if this is true, people who wear black turban are sayyed, and white turban wearer not.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 00:51
I don't think it is true.
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 11:13
 the Only people Who wear Black turban are the descendant of prophet Muhammed(PBUH) the other shiite scholar wear a white turban,we called them Shiekh.

it has no connectin between Kerbla or a result of the Iranian infleuence cause the descendant of the prophet(Sayyeds) were wearing it before the Iranians adoption of shisim.
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 12:04
Thats whhat I have always been told Here in Pakistan all Shia cleric wear it for that reason.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 13:06
Originally posted by Sparten

In Salat? Shias don't fold their hands, Sunnis do.

U mean during Qiyam? correct me if I am wrong but I thought some sunni also doesnt perform that..

Edited by cahaya - 12-Aug-2006 at 13:07
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 13:26

Iranian President Mohammad Khatami (in black turban) submits a budget proposal to parliamentary speaker Ali-Akbar Nategh-Nuri, November 29 in Tehran for the next fiscal year, beginning March 21. The government, facing a cash crunch caused by plummeting oil prices, has prepared an austerity budget for next year.

I wonder why Ali Akbar didn't wear black turban Spartan I can bring up more evidences but that is enough

Khalid Bin Walid
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 15:44
Becouse ali akbar nategh noori isn't a sayyed
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 18:57

Edit: Double Post

Edited by ok ge - 16-Aug-2006 at 16:51
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 18:59
Originally posted by cahaya

U mean during Qiyam? correct me if I am wrong but I thought some sunni also doesnt perform that..

The folding of hands during the prayer (Takattuf) is mostly accepted and practiced by major branches of Sunnis.
As far as I know, most Shia do not fold their right hand on the top of their left hand during the prayer.
Also, as Cahaya mentioned, some Sunnis dont as those who subscribe to the Maliki School of thought.
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2006 at 01:15
the Only people Who wear Black turban are the descendant of prophet Muhammed(PBUH) the other shiite scholar wear a white turban,we called them Shiekh.

it has no connectin between Kerbla or a result of the Iranian infleuence cause the descendant of the prophet(Sayyeds) were wearing it before the Iranians adoption of shisim.

Well, I am a Syed (Sayyed), a Hashmi, and a Quraeshi. I am sunni not shia and I nor my father have never heard of such a practice except on this board. So I don't think you can really make that judgement on the colour of the turban.
I have a freind who is a Syed Hashmi from Iraq. I'll ask him about it and get back to you. But I am sure that:
Not all Syeds wear black turbans, and
not all people who wear black turbans are syeds.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2006 at 02:07

Maziar I know but I tried to explain for Spartan.

he said they wear it (blacke) cause the colour of mourning,kerbla therefore I wondered to convince him why Ali-akbar isn't wear it even he is A shiite.

Edited by Ahmed The Fighter - 13-Aug-2006 at 02:13
Khalid Bin Walid
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2006 at 02:46
As you may have read in my later post, I qualified my statement that Shia clerics often wear the black turban in Pakistan.

Edited by Sparten - 13-Aug-2006 at 02:46
Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Killabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2006 at 13:59
Originally posted by Ahmed The Fighter

Ahmed, if the black turban is indeed worn primarily by the Sayed (descenant of Muhammed), how come Mohammad Khatami and most of the Iranian Shiite cleric also wear it? These people  are Persian. Does that mean all these Iranian Shiite cleric are descendant of Muhammed (PBUH) if your statement is correct?

Also the person who is wearing the white turban is not a Shiite cleric. He is Muhammed Bashar al-Faidhi, a renowned Sunni Cleric in Iraq.

Edited by Killabee - 14-Aug-2006 at 16:54
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2006 at 17:03
Originally posted by Killabee

Ahmed, if the black turban is indeed worn primarily by the Sayed (descenant of Muhammed), how come Mohammad Khatami and most of the Iranian Shiite cleric also wear it? These people  are Persian.

You know what? i always ask myself where the hell do all these Sayyeds come from.

I don't know about another Muslims countries, but i know for sure in Iran about 99% of them are not sayyeds. If you read the social history of Iran from Safavid dynasti to Ghajars, you will see that too many con men, beggars, cutthroughts and thieves had claimed they were Sayyeds. Sayyed was a very nice job, you need to do nothing all days but to wear a turban and claiming you are of prophet's stock. The people will respect you and bombard you with money and goods or gifts. That's why today are so many Sayyeds in Iran.

Master_Blaster View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Master_Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 17:55
In Iran, I've also read that many Iranian women who would have children out of wedlock or with an Arab mercenary would claim that their child was a Sayyed as they did not have a father's name to give the newborn.
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 20:58
Originally posted by Maziar

You know what? i always ask myself where the hell do all these Sayyeds come from.

I so totally agree.
Sayyed is a title passed down the male line of the family, women don't pass it to their children. Which as far I as can see means that any syed, must also have the name hashim. As thats also passed down the male line.
So whats with non-hashmi syeds?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>