Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

tank questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tank questions
    Posted: 31-Jul-2006 at 14:05
Originally posted by Exarchus

Are you sure the Soviets were the first to put an automatic reloader?

I thought the first tank with an automatic reloader was the AMX-13 produced in 1953. The goal was to put a canon comparable to heavy tanks on a light tank and it required an automatic reloader to make the turret short enough to fit the hull.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the first Soviet tank with an automatic reloader was the T-72 and it was the early 70..

The Soviets were the first to use autoloaders in all their new MBTs but not the first to use it.

It was introduced into Soviet forces in the mid-60s so it was either the T-62 or T-64.
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2006 at 16:04
Originally posted by xristar

I think the T62 had automatic loader.

Are you sure about that? Wikipedia still gives it 4 crew including the loader, maybe they are wrong though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-62
Vae victis!
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2006 at 16:05
Originally posted by DukeC

The Soviets were the first to use autoloaders in all their new MBTs but not the first to use it.

It was introduced into Soviet forces in the mid-60s so it was either the T-62 or T-64.

Yes, it's the T-64 you're right.
Vae victis!
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2006 at 16:11
Originally posted by Gundamor

How come the new leopards,Challengers and the newer Abrams dont have one? I know the leopard gun has 2 autoloaders designed for its gun and the Abrams has 1-2 yet they dont use it. It has nothing to do with design if it was a factor it would of been modified in the 90s. The abrams of 85 is no where near the same tank as todays abrams. Its still a big question for nations that actually use their tanks. I wouldnt want to be in a tank with an autoloader that has its breech jammed. Humans are faster and reliable which in war is better.

Those are based on older designs thought.

I've not yet heard of jammed autoreloader on Leclerc or Type 90 (Japan) tanks.
Vae victis!
Desperado View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2006 at 19:14

BTW the introduction of the autoloader to tank guns was really a revolutionary step in tank design. The absence of a 4th crew member saved alot of inside volume that have to be armored (infact, in one of the most well armored places-the turret), thus reducing both tank dimensions and weight, and also giving higher average rate of fire.
The first MBT(main battle tank/AMX-13 is a light tank)is really the T-64(1967). Future tank configuration will be like that of Leclerc and T90, not that of Abrams or Leopard 2-the presence of loader is an anachronism and a major shortcoming.

Edited by Desperado - 31-Jul-2006 at 19:15
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 01:03
Originally posted by Exarchus

Originally posted by xristar

I think the T62 had automatic loader.

Are you sure about that? Wikipedia still gives it 4 crew including the loader, maybe they are wrong though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-62

The T-62 was the first to use a smooth-bore gun...that's probably how he got mistaken.
   BTW T-62 was crap...give me a T-55 anyday...Clap
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 06:19
Originally posted by Desperado

BTW the introduction of the autoloader to tank guns was really a revolutionary step in tank design. The absence of a 4th crew member saved alot of inside volume that have to be armored (infact, in one of the most well armored places-the turret), thus reducing both tank dimensions and weight, and also giving higher average rate of fire.
The first MBT(main battle tank/AMX-13 is a light tank)is really the T-64(1967). Future tank configuration will be like that of Leclerc and T90, not that of Abrams or Leopard 2-the presence of loader is an anachronism and a major shortcoming.

Yes, the AMX-13 is a light tank, it still is the first tank with an automatic reloader though :).

Edited by Exarchus - 01-Aug-2006 at 06:19
Vae victis!
aghart View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote aghart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2006 at 16:11
[QUOTE=Desperado]
the presence of loader is an anachronism and a major shortcoming.
    [/QUOTE
really!!!

Can the auto loader deal with a misfired round? can it deal with a machine gun stoppage?  and that's just for starters!!! lets deal with the REALLY IMPORTANT THINGS.  Can the auto loader help the driver with  vehicle maintenence? can it make tea/coffee while travelling X country?  can it make bacon or sausage sandwiches for the rest of the crew? and can the auto loader ensure the beer is kept cool and well stored in the tank?
Former Tank Commander (Chieftain)& remember, Change is inevitable!!! except from vending machines
Desperado View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2006 at 19:06
Well i think the gunner or the commander can deal perfectly with an unfired round, it's infact a matter of battle compartment design(btw the loader usually has no access to MGs-old designs like Js-2 and Kv-1 aren't counted ). But just imagine this roughly 10 tons of armor needed for the protection of a loader placed on the front side of the turret or the hull-it gives a clear armor advantage with the same weight and dynamic characteristics, and a lower silhouette. The place of the loader will surely disappear in the next generation of MBT's, just like the one of the radio operator/front MG gunner.
Anyway, the new MBT's are just to appear so we'll see soon.
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 04:13
Well, if there is a problem and the canon can't fire, I don't see why the gunner, why would have nothing else better to do, can't deal with the problem.

As to change the tracks, I thought modern tanks had a 360 view angle using cameras...
Vae victis!
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 04:25
Originally posted by Desperado

Anyway, the new MBT's are just to appear so we'll see soon.

The next Korean XK-2 should be equipied by an automatic reloader. It's actually a requirement in the devellopment of the tank.
Vae victis!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 05:04
The T-80's aut loader is faster than the m1's, 10 rpm vs 5 IIRC.
The problem the T-72 had was that the ammo was in two parts.

Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 13:01
Originally posted by Sparten

The T-80's aut loader is faster than the m1's, 10 rpm vs 5 IIRC.
The problem the T-72 had was that the ammo was in two parts.

Try T-80 is like 4-5RPM and M1 6-8RPM. It actually gets worse for the T-80 with different rounds up to 12 second reload times on some. Thats not really the point of an autoloader though. I have read the T-80U gets up to 6-8RPM as well but i'm not sure how considering it uses the same carousel.

Edited by Gundamor - 04-Aug-2006 at 13:02
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 13:44
T-72 was 3 or 4 rpms. T-80 UD used by the pakistan army has an rpm of 10, as does the new Khalid tank, but in practice the rpm is about 8. An m1 crew can get about 5 max, a really good 6, but I frankly doubt that they can do that under fire.

The reason the T-72 fires at a slower rate is again, since the ammo is in two parts, the shot, and then the charge/primer, while the m1 has a single piece ammo.

Both the Indian and Pakistani army, both of whom have fought army level tank battles recently and in practice are the only ones likely to do so again, are going to use auto loaders.

Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 14:18
I'm still seeing 6-8 RPM as the rate of fire even on the T-80UD. Are they not using the 28 round carasel?

American M1 loaders have no problem reaching that rate of fire. They train for it and can exceed it. They're well battle tested its documented.

I've read the Khalid was so bad the Iranians sent the 3 test models they had back. And what recent large scale tank battle have India and Pakistan had? I've been reading closely on the T-90 and its problems in India and I dont see any mention of tank battles.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 14:39
Battle of Chawinda 1965, Battle of Chamb 1971, Khem Karan 65, barapind 71.

The Khalid Tank was never offered to the Iranians AFAIK. In fact the export (for the Saudi) has the 120mm Gun rather then the 125 mm gun.

The T-90 is a worked up T-72, and the problems the Indians have had are mainly logisticla ones, their taks are from different suppliers. Also the T-90's engine had problems in the desert. As did the Khalid's, initially, until the Ukranians came up with a better ones.

The m1 again, is unlikely to reach 8 rpms under war time conditions. From what I have read the best loaders can do 5 rpm's sustained.
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 14:55
T-90 Engine problem was the one that caught my eye. Not to concerened about the overheating sighting systems(not sure if fixed yet) or the ammunition difference problem which was corrected long time ago. It also has required an unusual amount of maintenance though that could be a breaking in period of the tank.

I thought you meant recent tank battles i've read about those. Recent would be 90s+.

aghart View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote aghart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 17:41
My god in heaven!!!!  never i have I been confronted  by "text book" warriors in such force and numbers. all of you  and i mean every one of you STOP AND LISTEN!!!

let me tell you the real truth about being in a tank!!

So the gunner or commander can sort out a main ammunition misfire?. 

You are going cross country, the main armament breech is going up and down  like a yo yo, the gunner then climbs over the gun hoping not to be crushed between the gun and the top of the turret???.  the gunner and the commander have nothing better to do???,  the enemy are going to leave you alone because your main gun is out of action?  communication messages are going to stop?  searching for targets is forgotten, ?  the war stops until you are ready to play again? get real!!

Who do you think loads and deals with machine gun stoppages? the loader of course.  the loader does have access to the machine guns on a tank.

What is all this crap about how many rounds per minute a tank can fire? No tank fires again and again and again. Fire and movement is what it is all about.  Fast firing times on the ranges count for nothing in war, hitting the target and not getting hit yourself are what it is all about. Tanks do not fire like artillery guns. you engage a target then move, even firing on the move your are not going to be firing one round after another like a heavyweight boxer slogging it out with another. 

10 tons of armour being reallocated to the front of the tank because there is no loader?.  So the side of the tank is thus protected by thin air??

TV screens and monitors so that the driver can see what he has to do?  that is so funny I'm actually in tears.

Too many computer war  game simulators i think people!!!

The golden rule of all warfare!!!

If you plan , organise , train and equip for a long war, then you will easily deal with a short war as well.

Plan. organise, train and equip for a short war and you have no chance of success when it turns into a long war!!

A 3 man tank is a recipe for disaster in a long war, do you think that the outstanding success of the Challanger & M1 tanks  in recent years  had nothing to do with the fact that they had 4 man crews.

British, American & German tanks all have 4 man crews and are not planning to change.  Soviet or Russian tanks now go for 3 man crews but since 1945 soviet/russian tanks have been totally outclassed by western tanks every time they have fought a major battle . 

So based on real time, recent experience who appears to know what they are doing, western or russian tank designers?

yes the french have gone for a 3 man crew, but what experience and knowledge of tank warfare have the french got?   I'll tell you, absolutely none!!!!!!   Don't forget the Isralies either !! are they going for a 3 man crew? no!! they have a 4 man crew!! well fancy that.

Edited by aghart - 04-Aug-2006 at 18:37
Former Tank Commander (Chieftain)& remember, Change is inevitable!!! except from vending machines
aghart View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote aghart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 18:08

Apologies if i came across as a bit angry in my last post, but it is a subject close to my heart and I get a bit upset when figures and statistics from books seem to count more than facts and experience.

Edited by aghart - 04-Aug-2006 at 18:20
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 18:13
I can see the use of autoloaders for specialized purposes. The U.S. Army XM-8 would have had a 2 man crew with an unmanned turret containing an autoloader. The point there was to reduce the weight so the vehicle was light enough to drop from a cargo plane, and still have a weapon that was able to provide heavy fire support. It's soft recoil 105mm would have had the same punch as the late model M-60s did.

edit- I don't mind aghart, it's cool to get an inside view of what it's like to actually operate a modern MBT.

Edited by DukeC - 04-Aug-2006 at 18:15
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>