Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The true Greats

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Irish Nation View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Irish Nation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The true Greats
    Posted: 24-Jul-2006 at 18:19
Okay i want opinions here from everyone. Who was the Greatest Military Leader or General in history? I think it was Alexander the great myself. But i want other opinions. Please. Ta
Early this morning I signed my death warrant.
Michael Collins, to friend John O'Kane after signing Anglo-Irish Treaty in 1921
Red Russian View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Red Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2006 at 19:57
Well obviously their are going to be MANY difference of opinons, astheir are so many Notable generals in the history of the world. I myself, Say Napolean!

Not only was he an amazinf commander, but he had the loyalty of his men like no other commander!
Knight
Knight

Quote Irish Nation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 05:09
Yes he came into my mind alright. Though he was defeated and exiled twice. And suffered a great defeat in the east as well. He left there one day leaving all his broken down soldiers behind. A great leader to be sure. But one i think who had his fare share of defeats you must say
Knight
Knight

Quote Irish Nation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 05:28
Come on people. Its an easy question. Takes 2 secs to write your answer. Give me something hear. Its like trying to drag it out of you all. lol
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 08:21
Alexander the Great is definitely not the best general. He did not face good armies(farmers with wickerwork shileds and short spears that did not want to be fighting) and did not face any Persian armies that were probably above two times his own size. He was a good general, but not the greatest. I bleieve the greatest is Napoleon, for he and his marshalls had some of the greatest victories the world has ever seen.

Knight
Knight

Quote Irish Nation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 08:31

Hold on a moment there friend. Let me stop you. Ever hear of the batle of Issus? Alexander faced a persian force of around 180,000 persian soldiers. He had roughly 47,000 troops. Cavalry and men. He won that battle friend. That army is more than 2 times his size. And the persians were weaker than the Macedonians but i would not go as far as to call them Farmes with swords. Was that what you said? He was the greatest in my opinion hands down. Nothing will change that in my view. But Napolean was great to. Why was he not named Great? Thanks for the opinion. I want more hereWink

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 08:42
Its obviously without any doubt Ghenghiz Khan, other generals don't deserve the honour of being mentioned next to him.

Napoleon is so over-rated, just look at the last years of his carreer

Russia discontinues embargo on England. Napoleon invades Russia.
Russian Campaign by the Grand Army ends in a catastrophic retreat from Moscow, and with the loss of 500,000 men.
Prussia and Austria declare war and defeat Napoleon in the battle of Nations at Leipzig.
Napoleon abdicates and is exiled to the island of Elba.
Napoleon returns for 100 days but is again beaten in the battle of Waterloo by the combined armies of England and Prussia. Napoleon surrenders to the English and is exiled to St. Helena.

The Britts wiped the floor with him and kicked his but three times, he was a great general but a flawed one to say the least.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Knight
Knight

Quote Irish Nation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 08:49

Yes he was another of the best i agree with you. The king of kings they called him. He started what was to become the Mongol Empire. The greatest and largest land Empire the world has had to this day. He was skilled. But i personaly think Alexander still rates top for never losing a battle and for kicking ass all over the east. It was a differant age to. To do that in his day. GREAT LEADER. I agree about Nap being over rated as well. He really was.

Knight
Knight

Quote Irish Nation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 09:43
Any other thoughts people. Just say who you think, You dont have to tell me why. Thats not the point of this thread. I just want the info
clement207 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote clement207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 09:52
I think it is Augustus.
Knight
Knight

Quote Irish Nation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 12:15
MORE RESPONSES PEOIPLE
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 12:56
what about that one egyptian fareo he never lost a battle in his life but I don't remember his name sorry
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 13:01
Originally posted by Bulldog

Its obviously without any doubt Ghenghiz Khan, other generals don't deserve the honour of being mentioned next to him.

Napoleon is so over-rated, just look at the last years of his carreer

1812Russia discontinues embargo on England. Napoleon invades Russia.Russian Campaign by the Grand Army ends in a catastrophic retreat from Moscow, and with the loss of 500,000 men.1813Prussia and Austria declare war and defeat Napoleon in the battle of Nations at Leipzig.1814Napoleon abdicates and is exiled to the island of Elba.1815Napoleon returns for 100 days but is again beaten in the battle of Waterloo by the combined armies of England and Prussia. Napoleon surrenders to the English and is exiled to St. Helena.

The Britts wiped the floor with him and kicked his but three times, he was a great general but a flawed one to say the least.

Can you tell me what battles the Britts wiped the floor with him. If one is Waterloo then thats not even one. Your timeline is very flawed and biased. But if you were to mention his successes against all of Europe you wouldnt even notice what you wrote.

Ghengiz Khan is more overrated then Napoleon. The Mongol empire didnt even miss a step when he died and pushed on forward. The Mongol empire was only 2/3 of its final outreach when he died. Yet people give him credit for the full deal. The other leaders of the Mongols were quite good too. China was still a chaotic mess when Ghengiz died and other Mongol leaders did a much better job with that area alone.

Alexander is the greatest there were alot more to his conquests then big battles with Persians. His mountain campaigns alone have never been equaled.

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Knight
Knight

Quote Irish Nation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 13:04
I agree. Alexander is the greatest  ever
Red Russian View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Red Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 14:09
The brits Wiped the floor with Nap? Haha, That a funny statement Beacuse. In order to even come CLOSE to beating napoleon, Those brits you speak of had to Enlist the help of Prussia, and many other Allies. And yet, he STILL beat them.

The Russian retreat was a fluke, Nothing Napoleon could of done about it on the Battlefield. SO you can't count that agiannst him!

Edited by Red Russian - 25-Jul-2006 at 14:10
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 14:23
Originally posted by Irish Nation

Hold on a moment there friend. Let me stop you. Ever hear of the batle of Issus? Alexander faced a persian force of around 180,000 persian soldiers. He had roughly 47,000 troops. Cavalry and men. He won that battle friend. That army is more than 2 times his size. And the persians were weaker than the Macedonians but i would not go as far as to call them Farmes with swords. Was that what you said? He was the greatest in my opinion hands down. Nothing will change that in my view. But Napolean was great to. Why was he not named Great? Thanks for the opinion. I want more hereWink

I am telling you, the Persians could not keep fielding armies that were worth anything that numbered nearly 200,000 men. The Macedonians wrote this to try to exaggerate their victory. I don't think it would take a great commander to defeat an army made up of basically light infantry and inexperienced men with low morale.

Knight
Knight

Quote Irish Nation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 14:27
Your right. The macedonians lied like hell. But it is widly know that They had a huge  Army al the same. It was not made up of useless soldiers either. Not as advanced as the Macedonians but 5 times there size. It would be a long time before you or me would win the battle. I tell you that much pal. TRhe Persians were not that badly equiped either. How did they get such a large Empire if they were weak as you say?
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 14:44
I have always loved Sbedei. The Great Ride people, The Great Ride in between the Caspian and the Black sea into Russia. And he was around longer than Genghis himself.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 15:09
Tamerlane was the greatest general at warfare.

He built his empire from scratch and fought enemies on all sides of his empire. His sphere of conquest is also larger than Alexander's and he fought more enemies than did Alexander.
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 15:12
Originally posted by Irish Nation

Your right. The macedonians lied like hell. But it is widly know that They had a huge  Army al the same. It was not made up of useless soldiers either. Not as advanced as the Macedonians but 5 times there size. It would be a long time before you or me would win the battle. I tell you that much pal. TRhe Persians were not that badly equiped either. How did they get such a large Empire if they were weak as you say?

I did not say that EVERY soldier was useless, but the light infantry worked great in the Middle East against other light infantry. It would be disastrous to charge those light infantry into a heavy infantry phalanx. That is why I do not think Alexander was that great, because his enemy was not that great. He was not horrible, but to be called the greatest general ever is a stretch.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>