Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

White ethiopeans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Online Status: Offline
  Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: White ethiopeans
    Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 11:23
Is it true that ethiopeans are caucasoid whats the deal.

Caucasoid gene flow into the Ethiopian gene pool was predominantly through males

also they claim to be descendents of king solomon
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 11:54
Originally posted by xi_tujue

Is it true that ethiopeans are caucasoid whats the deal.

Caucasoid gene flow into the Ethiopian gene pool was predominantly through males

also they claim to be descendents of king solomon

Well racially ethiopeans are in between Caucasoids and Negroids.

Herschel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Herschel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 12:59
I thought it was less of a skin color similarity, but rather a skull shape...???
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 13:15
Originally posted by Herschel

I thought it was less of a skin color similarity, but rather a skull shape...???

Yeah, It is more about skull types and face structures.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 14:19
Ethiopians are undoubtedly Negroid. However, due to centuries of intermarriage they have become, to use that degrading term "mulatto".
So after a few generations a person may exhibit certain caucasoid charateristics, such as the skull.

Anybody ever seen Uzbeks. Mixed again, Caucasoid with Mongoloid mixture.

Aarya View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Aarya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2006 at 11:08
They look more Indian 
Aarya View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Aarya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2006 at 11:09
They look a bit Indian. Indian intermarryig with Locals I guess
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2006 at 13:09
Caucasoid =! white

Its a skull shape, not a skin colour.

Anyways, Ethiopia and other parts of East Africa is effectivly a boundary zone, like Central Asia, simplistic asumptions of Caucasoid Vs Negroid are challenged. As such its a case of seeing what you want to see.
Arrrgh!!"
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2006 at 13:38
it's cliche you know most people think that caucasoid is white(I don't know that clich is the right word)
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2006 at 13:49
Its largely the result of American/N. American culture appropiating the Caucasian label to refer to European Americans amoungst whom real Cuacasians are few and far between, and then exporting that notion in their popular culture.

Interestingly though, according the US census folks, Arabs, Persians, Assyrians etc are counted as Caucasians (even if regular Joe yank might disagree), but Indians is iffy, there've been a few court cases way back in the day during the 'caucasian only' migration peroid that swung them both ways, but nowadays suprisingly they are officialy counted under Asian (suprising considering the stubborn insistance by US popular culture that Asianness is linked virtualy exclusivly to loooking like Jackie Chan, Imran Khans can take a hike).

So from the offset it was inconsistant, and often at odds with mainstream American cultural views, but its pervalence outside of the US is testemony to the cultural dominance of the US.

And yeah, cliche does work there, it is a hugely overused and obvious remark, even if its not entirely accurate.

Edited by Cywr - 24-Jul-2006 at 13:52
Arrrgh!!"
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2006 at 14:05
I realy tought Indians were caucasoid but I have heard that the australion aboriginals went to australia true india and settled thefre and they have found some markers in in some distinct villeages.

so could they be a mix of caucasoid and austroloid.

they are asian I thought asians are mongoloid btw are pasicfic Islanders mongoloid?
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2006 at 14:18
They are according to anthropologists, or at least many are, but i guess for US immigration types in the begining of the 1900s, some of them were just too dark.
Of course, irrigardless of whether or not they are caucasoid, they are unquestionably Asian, as a simple glance at a map will reveal.
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 06:48

Ethiopeans may have been influenced by the christian realm of Prester John. According many historians this realm existed in the middle age on the ethiopian region.

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 06:52
Originally posted by darkwolf

Ethiopeans may have been influenced by the christian realm of Prester John. According many historians this realm existed in the middle age on the ethiopian region.

According to what I have read, most medieval people considered Prester John to be from somewhere deep in Asia. Prester John is considered mythology.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 11:47
Actually, Indians are not all caucasoid. Indeed in South Asia (from my anthro classes) only Pakistan is mostly caucasoid, (and I am excluding Makarnis who are negroid as well as the immigents from India here) and a goodly proportion of Pakistan is in Central Asia or Mid East anyway, the rest are either divided between australoid and caucasoid (as India is) and mostly australoid (Sri lanka) and mostly mongoloid (Bhutan) and a mix of all three (Nepal).

Add to that you have individuals who have become "native" to a certain region and despite being of a different "race". Finally you have the mixed people everywhere.

Its funny in pakistan, despite Australoid being the second most prominent racial type, they have mixed with caucasoid so much that the classic phenotype is notably absent except in a few individuals. Waqar Younis is one guy who seems to display it, but even his mother has blue eyes.

Just goes to show, that phenotype may not exactly equate to race, at least for individuals.

Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 19:26
As a side note, Somalians are also classified as anthropological caucasians as well.   I addition to the very dominant negroid race in Africa, there are two other races in Sub Sahara Africa.

These are the "Pygmies" of Zaire and the varous click speaking "Bushmen" groups of South Africa and Namibia.  Both these groups are distinct from Negroids and are almost vanished.  It would be very interesting to test for the realtionship between Pygmies with Australoid groups in India, Sri Lanka and Australia.   My guess is that the Pygmies are related to the "Negritos" and were the first humans to leave Africa.  

As a further trivia point, some Berbers (Caucasian and indigenous to North Africa) are ligher complected than Caucasian Europeans.  

Edited by Cryptic - 12-Aug-2006 at 19:30
Odin View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 22:38
There was some gene flow between the Middle East and Ethiopia, but generally the similarities between Caucasoids and Aethiopoids is the result of convergent evolution. Early modern humans resembled Australoids and both Caucasoids and Aethiopoids are simply the result of a gracilization of the skelaton from that archaic condition without much climatic specialization (the only major climatic specialization in both races are long, narrow noses).

Edited by Odin - 12-Aug-2006 at 22:38
"Of the twenty-two civilizations that have appeared in history, nineteen of them collapsed when they reached the moral state the United States is in now."

-Arnold J. Toynbee
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2006 at 02:11
Soamalis are a mixture of Caucasoid and negroid. As said above, those areas are border regions, where such distinctions are not as valid.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2006 at 08:38

Originally posted by Sparten

only Pakistan is mostly caucasoid, (and I am excluding Makarnis who are negroid as well as the immigents from India here) 

Who are the Makarnis?  Are they are small tribe / group?  Could they be a  Negrito group?  I have heard that there a few small Negrito groups in India as well.  If they are Negritos, they could be descended form the first humans to enter Pakistan.  If they are Negroid, perhaps they were brought to Pakistan from Africa much later by Slave Traders.

Originally posted by Sparten

Soamalis are a mixture of Caucasoid and negroid. As said above, those areas are border regions, where such distinctions are not as valid.

But what is the true origin of Somalis?  Are they primarily Caucasians with a Negroid influence, or are they primarily Negroid with a Caucasian influence?   Many of the somalis that I have seen appear very caucasian with dark skin and have very minimal, if any Negroid features.  

Originally posted by Odin

Early modern humans resembled Australoids and both Caucasoids and Aethiopoids are simply the result of a gracilization of the skelaton from that archaic condition without much climatic specialization 

What is a Aethiopoid?   Also, are Negritos considered to be Australoid?  I have seen articles that imply that Negritos are a seperate racial group.  Remnant Negrito groups exist in Adamman Islands, Thailand, Malaysia, Phillipines etc.  These groups seem to be the first modern humans to leave Africa, perhaps they, rather than Australoids  resemble the first modern humans.

Originally posted by xi_tujue

they are asian I thought asians are mongoloid btw are pasicfic Islanders mongoloid?

Most are Mongloids, especially in the deep Pacific Island  Chains (Polynesians).  But the people of the Solomon Islands and other nearby Island chains are Negroid or perhaps Australoids.   These people represent a far earlier migration.  It was not until much later that Mongloids, using advanced Canoe / navigation technology colonized the deep Pacific islands. 

Originally posted by Constantine XI

Prester John is considered mythology.

It is myth.  But like all Myths, it is based on truth.  The truth is that there were Christian Kingdoms and Communities east of the Muslim nations.  The myth is that these groups were immensely powerful and were going come to Christan Europe's assistance during the crusades.  Possible sources or the Prester John myth include
-Ethiopia,  Actual Kingdom
-Gerorgia,  Crusaders had only sporadic knowledge of Christian Armenia and Georgia is beyond Armenia.
-Christian communites in Iraq, Iran and India.  These small communties then got exaggerated into Prester John's Kingdom.

Edited by Cryptic - 13-Aug-2006 at 10:10
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2006 at 10:29
The makarnis are a negroid group that migrated to what is now Pakistan in ancient times.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>